Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Broke open the 2nd edition reprint and picked up playing again where we left off after about a year hiatus. We play 2p and second scenario we chose to ease us back into things was 66 :stare: We bounced hard off that one twice and came just ~2 turns (plus luck) close to winning. I'm not certain it's even realistically possible at 2p except with either super good luck or some sort of super cheese build of high movie + jump + invis every turn. Goddamn I hate oozes and elite artillery.

Playing at +1 difficulty has been pretty exciting! I felt like we were breezing through many scenarios before playing at just recommended level, but the added difficulty has really made decisions feel tactical and important. Also the Gloomhaven Helper app has been a god send. Saves so much setup time and table space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yeah 66 was reasonably hard with 4. Reward spoiler: It's our single favorite item in the game though so totally worth it

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What items are you all using with Lightning Bolt? Just played a scenario where not having anything with jump on it really hindered me. Probably would be too reactionary to get some jump boots or save for an enhancement though.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

KingKapalone posted:

What items are you all using with Lightning Bolt? Just played a scenario where not having anything with jump on it really hindered me. Probably would be too reactionary to get some jump boots or save for an enhancement though.

Ol bolty really does like having jump, but likes having +2 move from boots of striding better, IMO. When I retired mine, I sold off my gear and spent my remaining money enhancing a couple of good moves with jump for the next person to enjoy.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

KingKapalone posted:

I am using jump boots on lightning bolt. Along with armor, some potions (stam, stam, mana, health), curse dagger, poison dagger, and goggles. At level 6 you get a card that converts your short rests to long rests which makes it really easy to use all your items over and over again.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Is there only one personal mission that unlocks each new hero? As I've got one for lightning bolt that is... Unlikely to happen... And was wondering if it was worth actively gunning for it, or just seeing if it ever naturally happens? Currently mindthief.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

If it's a counting one that would be easier with a larger party, house rule it. It's your game.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

!Klams posted:

Is there only one personal mission that unlocks each new hero?

The PQs are divided up as follows: there are two for each class, and two for envelope X. Note this means Sun and Moon can be unlocked in 3 different ways.

Campaign spoilers that get increasingly specific and shouldn't be read: one class can also be unlocked during the campaign, specificallyAngry Face fromscenario 44.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The PQs are divided up as follows: there are two for each class, and two for envelope X. Note this means Sun and Moon can be unlocked in 3 different ways.

Campaign spoilers that get increasingly specific and shouldn't be read: one class can also be unlocked during the campaign, specificallyAngry Face fromscenario 44.

So someone else could have the same class as me, and unbox it before I complete my personal quest (and given what mine is they definitely would, and there's zero chance my group will allow for house rulings on those) such that I don't get an unboxing? I know its petty but that would seriously make me reconsider playing on at that point. That sucks.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

!Klams posted:

So someone else could have the same class as me, and unbox it before I complete my personal quest (and given what mine is they definitely would, and there's zero chance my group will allow for house rulings on those) such that I don't get an unboxing? I know its petty but that would seriously make me reconsider playing on at that point. That sucks.

Well, if someone has unlocked a class that was already unlocked you either get a random scenario or item design. We don't like that either so we are thinking about just opening another class, like those that get unlocked via reputation. We are the good guys at the moment so we may open the Eclipse on when my buddy retires. We both have concentric circles but I will retire after the next 2 scenarios. So he will quite possibly unlock Eclipse.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

!Klams posted:

Yeah, you'd unlock a random side scenario and a random item design in that instance.

I'd advise house ruling it somehow, eg by doing draw 3 / pick 1 for classes or by just picking another class to unlock at the end.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
We just unlocked Three Spears.
Since I unlocked it, I got dibs.

I'm starting at level 3 / prosperity 3, but I'm hyped as gently caress nonetheless.

Current party: Two Minis / Music Note / Scoundrel / Three Spears. Time to break the game :getin:

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

!Klams posted:

Is there only one personal mission that unlocks each new hero? As I've got one for lightning bolt that is... Unlikely to happen... And was wondering if it was worth actively gunning for it, or just seeing if it ever naturally happens? Currently mindthief.

If it's the one that wants you to exhaust a bunch of times, that's actually totally doable. Let's say you know there is only a couple of turns left. Use two loss cards, short rest, decide you would rather take damage than toss the card you draw, then lose a card from your hand or two discards rather than taking the damage, and do this until you can't. You should be down to just a few cards. Run into traps to lose cards faster. Or, if you are at low health, do the same strat but just lose HP instead of tossing cards. Each turn by short resting, you can guarantee you lose as much HP as you have cards in your discard, minus 1. I set out to do it every mission and managed to do it in 12 out of 12 missions. Only a couple of times did I have to ask my party to lay off the last enemy and go loot to give me more time.

I guess the alternative is that you have the kill 15 vermlings quest and you already played scenarios 9,17, and 18. In that case, yeah, you're pretty hosed for a while until you convince your friends to replay one of those scenarios or get lucky unlocking the right random side scenarios.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Jimbozig posted:

If it's the one that wants you to exhaust a bunch of times, that's actually totally doable. Let's say you know there is only a couple of turns left. Use two loss cards, short rest, decide you would rather take damage than toss the card you draw, then lose a card from your hand or two discards rather than taking the damage, and do this until you can't. You should be down to just a few cards. Run into traps to lose cards faster. Or, if you are at low health, do the same strat but just lose HP instead of tossing cards. Each turn by short resting, you can guarantee you lose as much HP as you have cards in your discard, minus 1. I set out to do it every mission and managed to do it in 12 out of 12 missions. Only a couple of times did I have to ask my party to lay off the last enemy and go loot to give me more time.

I guess the alternative is that you have the kill 15 vermlings quest and you already played scenarios 9,17, and 18. In that case, yeah, you're pretty hosed for a while until you convince your friends to replay one of those scenarios or get lucky unlocking the right random side scenarios.

So, its the former, and I guess the issue is that my group wouldn't really be ok with me doing that? It kinda goes against the spirit of things somewhat. I'm not super stoked about playing that way either, it feels like doing it that way is like a badly tacked on minigame? I think what I'll probably do is just ask if anyone else has lightning bolts, and if not, it makes no odds and is fine, but if they do see if they mind me switching.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

!Klams posted:

So, its the former, and I guess the issue is that my group wouldn't really be ok with me doing that? It kinda goes against the spirit of things somewhat. I'm not super stoked about playing that way either, it feels like doing it that way is like a badly tacked on minigame? I think what I'll probably do is just ask if anyone else has lightning bolts, and if not, it makes no odds and is fine, but if they do see if they mind me switching.

I mean, just give them the choice. You play like that or they let you switch. If they want everything to be by the book, then that's the by-the-book way to complete that quest.

I mean, the book also says you can create a new character without retiring your old one, so by-the-book you can just draw two new cards if you don't like the two you drew and say you're creating a new character.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
If your group is being super strict about the personal goal rules, you do have an option.

Simply create a new character. You'll lose all of your perks and items (though you could sell them and buy enhancements), and would start at the same level as the current prosperity level. But you would get two new personal goals to choose from.

Note that you don't have to retire to create a new character. You have this ability any time you're in Gloomhaven. Your group might be annoyed if you do this, but they're already putting (not very important) rules over your personal enjoyment, so use the rules to your advantage.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I convinced my group to ease the extremity of my retirement goal of watching 15 people exhaust by counting myself when relevant and counting situations where characters would have exhausted the next round after we complete a scenario.

Kind of scummy when you read into it but I'll take that instead of having to wait until next century to retire.

Kore_Fero
Jan 31, 2008
We had the duplicate unlocks problem in our group (this was despite playing our quests open, nobody was really paying much attention). I allowed one of the players to mulligan their quest. This wasn't really ideal and I would advise against it since it just pushed the problem on to the next person to retire (both of their quest draws were already unlocked or 'taken'). Each player can go through 3-4 characters in a campaign and trying to force new classes every retirement means you are going to be unlocking the entire roster very quickly. Its up to you if you want that experience but from now on, my group gets no more mulligans and we'll just unlock classes naturally and save some of the discoveries for later.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SettingSun posted:

I convinced my group to ease the extremity of my retirement goal of watching 15 people exhaust by counting myself when relevant and counting situations where characters would have exhausted the next round after we complete a scenario.

Kind of scummy when you read into it but I'll take that instead of having to wait until next century to retire.

Is there anyone else who hasn't had to house rule that quest? Our original Brute had that one and retired at level 6. We've done four quests that didn't unlock a class, we only have three classes left, and we've had one character reach level 7 so far. Our Two Minis is talking about retiring his character without completing his quest, but he likes the quest and just doesn't care for playing the class.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
We did it just fine? Turn up the difficulty

e: though yeah, that one scales poorly with player count. ymmv if you have less than 4.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 9, 2018

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Kore_Fero posted:

We had the duplicate unlocks problem in our group (this was despite playing our quests open, nobody was really paying much attention). I allowed one of the players to mulligan their quest. This wasn't really ideal and I would advise against it since it just pushed the problem on to the next person to retire (both of their quest draws were already unlocked or 'taken'). Each player can go through 3-4 characters in a campaign and trying to force new classes every retirement means you are going to be unlocking the entire roster very quickly. Its up to you if you want that experience but from now on, my group gets no more mulligans and we'll just unlock classes naturally and save some of the discoveries for later.

It's affected a lot by playercount. With 2P we're about 35-40 scenarios in and still have Saw, Lightning Bolt, Eclipse, Three Spears, Music Note (my active quest), Ubisoft (essentially completed quest that my gf has postponed finishing for a few scenarios) to go.

Jabor posted:

We did it just fine? Turn up the difficulty

e: though yeah, that one scales poorly with player count. ymmv if you have less than 4.
Somehow it fell down the back of the box for us :iiam:

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
Our experience is that very few of the personal quests work properly for 2 players. The storyline type ones seem fine but almost everything else scales very poorly.

I think in general there is a lot to admire in the ambition of gloomhaven's scope but quite a lot of the stuff that isn't part of the central mechanics could do with refining.

Presumably Isaac will one day do another game like this, which I expect to be much better rounded.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

If I didn't houserule it the way I did, I'd have 2/15 in 10 scenarios instead of the 9/15 I currently have. My group explicitly correlates exhausting with 'personally losing' the scenario so they rightly avoid it at all costs and turning up the difficulty any further than Hard makes it unfun the play for them.

I'm not saying everyone should need to do this; it's just a minor compromise my group does to make sure characters can retire in >20 scenarios.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The PQs that have issues for 2P are (514) seeing 15 people exhaust, (532) seeing 2 other people retire, and maybe (527) exhausting 12 times. Other than that I think they work well enough.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I am using jump boots on lightning bolt. Along with armor, some potions (stam, stam, mana, health), curse dagger, poison dagger, and goggles. At level 6 you get a card that converts your short rests to long rests which makes it really easy to use all your items over and over again.

Did you have access to items 97, 106, or 107? I've read those can be effective. the healing boots and necklace would keep a slow drip of health coming so that I can keep using my take 2 damage cards until I really want to take some damage to get below half health. The horned helm got nerfed so not as interested.

XP gain on bolt: wow it's slow. Probably going to take me 4 scenarios to go from 3 to 4.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

SettingSun posted:

If I didn't houserule it the way I did, I'd have 2/15 in 10 scenarios instead of the 9/15 I currently have. My group explicitly correlates exhausting with 'personally losing' the scenario so they rightly avoid it at all costs and turning up the difficulty any further than Hard makes it unfun the play for them.

Ah, yeah, that'd do it. We cycle between Normal and Hard depending on how tough the scenario looks, and we average one exhaust per scenario, usually by players burning through their lost cards and taking more hits than necessary once we near the end. Three is rare, but one or two is pretty common.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

KingKapalone posted:

XP gain on bolt: wow it's slow. Probably going to take me 4 scenarios to go from 3 to 4.

Yes. I always try to use all my loss cards at the end for some exp. I usually finish with about 6 exp per scenario (excluding win bonus)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Are there screwy things with doing quests that obviously have already been completed? Rift questline: we jumped in the rift and fought the prime demon, thus neutralizing it.

But now we are on a quest to get Hail to seal it. There are no obvious blocks by achievements, but it keeps referencing Artifact:Lost which we haven’t gotten and I assume is another pathway into the questline?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
We did get Artifact: Lost by following the questline differently. We decided to help the Prime Demon take over Gloomhaven, which involves giving him the Artifact at some point. Then we killed him and recovered the artifact and sealed the Rift. No part of this prevents you from doing the Hail sealing the rift quest, which also gives you Artifact: Cleansed.

I'm pretty sure you haven't screwed anything up; you just legally can't do the scenario which gives you the Artifact: Lost achievement any longer.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Did you have access to items 97, 106, or 107? I've read those can be effective. the healing boots and necklace would keep a slow drip of health coming so that I can keep using my take 2 damage cards until I really want to take some damage to get below half health. The horned helm got nerfed so not as interested.

I don't need a lot of trickle healing right now because another class (music note) is providing a ton of trickle healing at the moment, and we manage incoming damage through CC's and to a lesser extent curses. We're level 8 and 9.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

We did get Artifact: Lost by following the questline differently. We decided to help the Prime Demon take over Gloomhaven, which involves giving him the Artifact at some point. Then we killed him and recovered the artifact and sealed the Rift. No part of this prevents you from doing the Hail sealing the rift quest, which also gives you Artifact: Cleansed.

I'm pretty sure you haven't screwed anything up; you just legally can't do the scenario which gives you the Artifact: Lost achievement any longer.

I was trying to get my party to help the prime demon thinking that we could betray them later like (first quest spoiler)The merchant, but someone wanted to kill demons for a quest and railed hard for RP purposes against that plan

Light RP for choices has been a source of amusement for our group. My mindthief pulled a quest about being bullied her whole life, and I pretty much decided that anyone arrogant and taller than a Vermling deserved my spite on principle :black101:

Except the enchanter, their dialogue is funny so they get a pass

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

OrthoTrot posted:

Our experience is that very few of the personal quests work properly for 2 players. The storyline type ones seem fine but almost everything else scales very poorly.

I think in general there is a lot to admire in the ambition of gloomhaven's scope but quite a lot of the stuff that isn't part of the central mechanics could do with refining.

Presumably Isaac will one day do another game like this, which I expect to be much better rounded.

The problem is that you can't just say "if you're running 2 players halve the numbers" (or anything similar) because the game is designed to be playable by a dynamic group size. And really the quests which require completing scenarios in specific regions or types aren't any better; a lot of groups won't want to repeat scenarios that they've already won (I know ours doesn't) so quests like defeat 3 "Crypt" scenarios that are quite reasonable on the surface become a lot more troublesome when you realize that the vast majority of the Crypts in the game are in the first 10 or so scenarios a given group is likely to do. There's also the quest to defeat a certain number of scenarios in a region which contains exactly that number of non-branching path locked scenarios counting random sidequests.

Basically, while a really cool idea, personal quests need a good hard look as a whole. The concept is great but the implementation has a lot of problems throughout.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

Meatbag Esq. posted:

I don't need a lot of trickle healing right now because another class (music note) is providing a ton of trickle healing at the moment, and we manage incoming damage through CC's and to a lesser extent curses. We're level 8 and 9.

Sun and Lightning: Sun is able to tank almost everything but I'll usually take a hit or two in the first room before we start the pain train chugging through the next ones with him up front.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
Just a note, you can only re-choose a card on a short rest one time.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Personal Quests are hit or miss and not at all well balanced. They are definitely one of the weakest elements of the game as a whole, but they're overall effect on the meat of game play is so minor that I don't care too much. They are more or less just an excuse to have a constant and timed drip of new content added to the mix and it's better to just play fast and lose with them rather than be super strict by the rules.

We play 2p only and decided early on to just game the Personal Quest system for our enjoyment and fast track unlocking everything. After every retirement we just chose the next PQ to unlock the next icon we thought was interesting. We even repeated many scenarios in order to fulfill requirements and strategized a bit on retirement goals. We are 90% done with the main campaign and we have all classes unlocked. I've already yielded 100+ hours of enjoyment out of this game and won't be playing it over again so I want to see all I can while I can. I also hate dodging spoilers and just want to read all the discussion, strategy guides, and theory-crafting with out worry.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Say, on the point of locked quests. My team adventured some more and we reached our first branching story point, between Scenarios 8 and 9. It appears that doing one gives a global achievement that bans the other. We shrugged and did 8. Is there an official rule for someday "rewinding" or otherwise branching out to see that alternate content, perhaps in an envelope? We haven't unlocked anything but a couple side quests and items. You can just tell me "Yes there's something" or "No, you have to just set the rules aside and play it anyway." :)

Also, proof that no matter what you're talking about, The Simpsons did it first, I present to you Literally The Mindthief:

(apologies if someone else caught this in the earlier thread)

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

SuperKlaus posted:

Say, on the point of locked quests. My team adventured some more and we reached our first branching story point, between Scenarios 8 and 9. It appears that doing one gives a global achievement that bans the other. We shrugged and did 8. Is there an official rule for someday "rewinding" or otherwise branching out to see that alternate content, perhaps in an envelope? We haven't unlocked anything but a couple side quests and items. You can just tell me "Yes there's something" or "No, you have to just set the rules aside and play it anyway." :)

Also, proof that no matter what you're talking about, The Simpsons did it first, I present to you Literally The Mindthief:

(apologies if someone else caught this in the earlier thread)

You can play scenarios in “casual mode” which is entirely the same except you don’t get the conclusion rewards listed at the end of the scenario and you don’t do road/city events. You get winnin xp, can loot chests, and make progress on check marks and personal quests.

Campaign wise this technically can cut you off of certain missions requiring progression down certain plot threads but that’s pretty easy to ignore if you want to circle back or whatever.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

misguided rage posted:

Oh really? Been playing that wrong! Thanks!

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

misguided rage posted:

poo poo, whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, basically means characters like the Spellweaver never get to use that rule since they're terrified of re-drawing and losing their Ether card.