Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

Oh God...Bianca.

Montaigne (France) exile after the Montaigne Revolution (French Revolution)... owner of a papillon who appears to have human intelligence (we believe he's a human cursed to be a dog)

I also love that in notFrance, the word for butterfly now means dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

JustJeff88 posted:

I also love that in notFrance, the word for butterfly now means dog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papillon_dog

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

CobiWann posted:

That is some drat good thinking and foresight (especially with the Unluck) by the players.

Sometimes the dice favors the players. Sometimes the dice screw over the GM, aka my wife who in this week's 7th Sea game watched as her vampire villain got dropped in two rounds because she couldn't roll to hit or make a brawn save worth a drat and the fashionista PC killed him by driving the heel of her shoe through his heart.

I should note that we are significantly stronger than the average 8th level party, even ignoring the undead dragon we cart around with us. We've gotten a feat each level that we can ignore skill prerequisites on and have been allowed to ignore the prerequisites for our prestige classes.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

senrath posted:

I should note that we are significantly stronger than the average 8th level party, even ignoring the undead dragon we cart around with us. We've gotten a feat each level that we can ignore skill prerequisites on and have been allowed to ignore the prerequisites for our prestige classes.

Will your DM adopt me?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Never heard of that breed before. :themoreyouknow:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JustJeff88 posted:

Never heard of that breed before. :themoreyouknow:

I friend of mine owned both the Papillon and Phalene. They were cute little buggers.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
As per yesterday's Tanicus session, there is a BIG difference between the definitions of the words "brie" and "bris."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, you can eat the rind on Brie.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
And you don't use a cheese knife with a bris.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You don’t have to, at least.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, you can eat the rind on Brie.
Unless you're in one of the few ultra-orthodox Haredi congregations that still practices Metzitzah B'Peh.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

GWBBQ posted:

Unless you're in one of the few ultra-orthodox Haredi congregations that still practices Metzitzah B'Peh.

I haven’t been in one of those in weeks.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Here's a third hand anecdote I just spotted on twitter.

https://twitter.com/jeannette_ng/status/1016654061138038784
https://twitter.com/jeannette_ng/status/1016656738664280065

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I wanna know what module that was.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
I tend not to think too much about what gender the NPCs are, though when I consider that it comes to mind that there are definitely more male than female NPCs. Not a whole lot more, but a noticeable amount for sure. Part of it is that doing male voices is easier for me than doing female; I tend to default to one or two that I can pull off relatively easily, as opposed to the breadth of male voices I can come up with. I'm not afraid to do those voices, of course, but rather I worry that throwing too many same-sounding people at the party will get confusing.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I ran my first session of Veins of the Earth tonight over Roll20.

1536, Yorkshire, February. The PCs are Vadim (a wizard from Constantinople with an electrified rod and the ability to detect lies), Jon Carpenter (a highwayman with a constitution so bad he probably has consumption), Merek (Pullo from Rome/Ray Stevenson), Randall (a penniless dandy), Dr. Ransohoff (an aloof doctor, who also happens to be the Jon's mother's primary physician).
Highlights include:
* Fossilized guano desert with a skinless man who worships 7 foot tall birds with oil for blood. 6d100 birds were present.
* Hermit crab making it's home in the skull of long dead primordial titan
* Sonic pigs
* Doc saving Jon from death by trading his wounds through magic
* PCs have to letterbox crawl (I explained this in the OSR thread, but basically... a crawl space where you don't have enough clearance for your shoulder blades... you'd have to crawl on your belly with one arm in front, maybe pushing a light. Your other arm flat against your side.)
* Vadim being alone in the dark and finding a colony of spiders piloting one big mega-spider constructed of webs with debris and junk as bones
* A crazed survivor handing Vadim a chess piece, but the top of it is carved exactly to his (Vadim's) likeness. The reaction was pretty good.
* Same survivor trying to push Doc into a hole to murder him gets blasted by Jon's pistol and instantly felled.
* Salamander-men trying to recruit the PCs to use their lanterns to be canaries and look for harmful gasses. Explicitly say the only time they eat, it's cannibalism. Do not be afraid.
* Weird fungal men who think speaking about the future is dishonest because you haven't done it yet, who live in a city that only exists in darkness (you can't go with a lantern lit)
* A race of creatures that are failed attempts to create humans by the more intelligent races in the veins. Gelatinous good natured stupids.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Consider, however, that the first player to ask "hey GM where are all the chicks at" is gonna be the catpissiest

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I'm tempted now to run a Deadlands session and gender flip the entire party. Have a town where the "men" are doing "women's" roles and vice versa because of a witch's curse and the posse wakes up the next morning with now three female PC's played by guys and one male PC played by a woman.

Is there a way to pull it off without being cat-pissy though? I trust my group, it's my ability to DM it that worries me.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Given your stories I don't think you really need to fear about it. If people act the same way they used to before the curse gender swapped them then that's probably enough. Gender swap stories always get weird if people start acting different because that usually is underlain by creepy biotruth beliefs. Also stuff relating to or on the periphery of sex isn't inherently bad or creepy, but if you have any worries or doubts just avoid or ignore or.

But honestly just treat it as normally as you can I think is all you really need.

Edit: this stuff is in regards to NPCs in case it was unclear, as your already trust your players.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I assign my NPCs' genders through the same method the characters in Alien got theirs: flip a coin.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
A video game and not a pen & paper one, but Might & Magic II had a town that was put in, I am convinced, to gently caress with the massively male-dominated player base that is almost certainly going to choose mostly if not all men for their digital avatars. The entire town is full of attractive female NPCs, but any male NPCs who come in lose stats rapidly until they die. There is of course a Dark Secret (tm) and a battle that can be fought to stop this, but the "boss" respawns every time you leave the town, so it's essentially something that is done once, the party does everything that needs to be done in the town and then never comes back.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Previously on Tanicus – Cultists who couldn’t be understood, demons who could Cloudkill, and a Warlock who could kill you with a whisper…

Previous recap - https://tinyurl.com/Tanicus-Part-10

Typhomine, Hale, Aya, and Krowe limp back to the Headstrong Hog, bruised, battered, and bloodied. Hale drowns her sorrows with actual alcohol as, to quote one of her drunken proclamations, ”I almost lost my third family tonight.” Typhomine steps out on a personal errand, Krowe stumbles upstairs to pass out, and Aya seduces/grabs the serving wench and takes her upstairs to…

…the next morning Biff and Kynwal return (their absence in the previous session was explained by the pair investigating a series of grave robbings that had taken place along the trade road east of Stonebridge) to find Hale passed out at the table, Krowe sitting next to her nursing his first cup of wine of the day, and the serving wench rushing downstairs adjusting her blouse followed by a content Aya. Biff and Kynwal are followed a few moments later by a tall woman in armor emblazoned with the emblem of the Order of the Golden Griffin. She glances about and heads over to the party’s table upon seeing Krowe, who stands up and extends his hand.

quote:

Krowe – “You got my message. It’s good to see you.”

Kerirose – ”I’m your sister Krowe. You don’t need to shake my hand.”

Krowe – ”Alright. Come in for a hug.”

Kerirose – ”Of course. It is good to see you as well.”

Krowe – ”Everyone, this is my older sister Kerirose Dragonhall, Knight-Captain of Stonebridge for Baroness Thornwood and member of the Order of the Golden Griffin. I asked her to come visit us this morning because there is a sensitive matter that needs to be discussed with everyone. I wish Typhomine was here, but I don’t want to impose upon Rose’s duties. Once we’re finished with breakfast, I’d like to move upstairs to talk in private…”

Kerirose – “EVERYONE OUT NOW!”

At the sound of Kerirose’s command everyone except for the serving wench and the owner Tobin Fishskipper gets up and quickly vacates the premises. A few moments later however, there’s the sound of an explosion from outside causing several of the patrons to run back inside and head out the back door instead. Typhomine follows them, a smile on his dragonborn face as he approaches the table. ”Kynwal! I’ve created something for you and…oh, hello! I am Typhomine Sixtus Zvalleous the Fourth, at your service.”

As Typhomine sits down, Krowe recaps for Kerirose some of the events of the past two sessions, specifically the underground auction (“The Crown is aware of the auction and has an agent who attends most of those auctions”), the attempted sale of guns to destabilize the south, the kidnapping of a dwarven gunsmith, and the cultists and warlock who were behind the whole thing. There were a few moments of levity as Kynwal grew frustrated with the lack of essential information in the telling of the story (“The caster was a warlock? Oh, there was a Mirror of Life Trapping? An altar that was involved with visions of a woman comprised of maggots? Yes, these are details that I, as an arcane spellcaster, would find INCREDIBLY important.”). Krowe brought up the seal that had been purchased by Sister Melancholia, the one that had belonged to his family’s infamous ancestor Kolen Dragonhall…

quote:

Kerirose – ”Kolen is not our ancestor, even if he does share our name. Centuries ago Karik Dragonhall was rumored to have been romantically intertwined with a human female named Catira for a brief period of time before realizing the evil that was inside of her. It’s not known if this Catira is the same woman who would eventually become the goddess of vengeance, but what is known is that Catira would eventually wield the Gauntlet of Despair and release both the god Qord and the chromatic dragons back into the world. At her side was Karik’s young brother Kolen, who fought for Catira under the Dragonhall banner. He wielded a massive greatsword named Caeradesh that turned out to be both sentient and malevolent, possessing him and causing him to kill a large number of Danaans (the forerunners to the Sidh folk) for supposed affronts against Karik and the Dragonhall clan. Karik would eventually kill Kolen, but his body was never found…and to this day, no one is sure if Karik killed Kolen and freed him from Caeradesh’s influence, or if Karik had slain Caeradesh in Kolen’s body.

Typhomine – ”What ever happened to the sword? Was it destroyed?”

Kerirose – ”Many tried to destroy it. It was thrown into an active volcano to not avail, and one time frozen by the breath of a silver dragon in an attempt to weaken it and shatter it upon an anvil dedicated to Fergus. Nothing worked however, and the final fate of the weapon was lost to the mists of time.”

At this point Krowe finishes his cup of wine and takes a deep breath as Typhomine wakes Hale up from her booze-induced nap. She groans into her hands, finishing off her cup of ale as Krowe begins to speak.

quote:

Krowe - ”What I’m about to tell you may put all of our lives at risk, however it ties into our party’s recent exploits and a tiefling that we have encountered…and it concerns our family as well Rose.

My father Karl Dragonhall is a good man. He was a leader among the Kaern forces during the Troll Wars where he made his name. He is fair to those he is responsible for and respected by his peers and equals, and has raised his children to become important members of Kaeri society…”

Kerirose – ”And he is also a world class jerk.”

Krowe – ”…yes. Granted, I personally haven’t given my father reasons to praise me or treat me as worthy of the Dragonhall name. We have frequently found ourselves at odds, and I’m about to tell you why there is a rift between myself and my father.

When I was thirteen years old, I had just finished my social and marital lessons for the day, and…”

Kynwal – “”Marital?”

Krowe – ”Yes, weapons training.”

Kynwal – ”Martial training Krowe, not marital.”

Krowe – ”Oh, yes…sorry, a mispronunciation on my part.”

Aya – ”I was going to say, if you have taken formal marital lessons it would explain how you are able to sufficiently please my cousin!”

Krowe – ”…I’m trying to be serious here, but I do truly appreciate your attempts at levity my friends.”

Kynwal – ”I have a feeling this story will take a dark turn soon. I am just trying to get all of it out of my system now.”

Krowe – ”Let me try again. When I was thirteen years old, I had just finished my social and martial lessons for the day and was wandering throughout the house when I came across our family’s catacombs. Our estate is built on top off a cliff and throughout the centuries our ancestors have been laid to rest underneath our home. It’s only been in the past few years that land has been set aside upon our grounds for a proper cemetery.”

Aya – “No wonder your family has issues, if your house sits atop the bones of your ancestors.”

Krowe – ”Being bored, young, and stupid I entered the catacombs by myself. My siblings and I had gone into the catacombs countless times before, but always stopping before the seventh door. This time however I kept going. I can’t explain why I did so this time but I kept my torch high and opened the seventh door. The catacombs wound down through the cliff, and as I descended I passed niches filled with the remains of ancestors whose names I knew from the history books. By the time I reached the bottom level the crypts were filled with bone dust, the weapons had rusted away to nothing, and the funeral garb eaten away by moths. I don’t know if I there had been a hole in front of me or if the floor simply gave way, all I remember is falling down and slamming into a stone floor. I had managed to keep a hold of the torch, thank Arwin, or else I would have found myself in total darkness. The hole above me was well out of reach. As I looked around for a way out, I realized that I had fallen into another level of the catacombs. I began to explore, heading further down as that was the only direction left open to me. These catacombs were much older than the ones above, as were the remains that I passed. But they weren’t marked with the Dragonhall family crest. Instead it was a family crest that I didn’t recognize, one I hadn’t seen before and haven’t seen since, no matter how many books I’ve read or nobles I’ve met. I just kept going, looking for a way out, and eventually found the lowest level of the catacombs. The remains and anything that they had been buried with were nothing but dust, and I can’t even imagine just how old they were. The level ended in a large iron door, free of rust. No matter how much I put my shoulder into it the door refused to budge. I stepped back, taking a good look at the door in the torchlight, and it was only then that I could make out the relief carved into the door itself.

A blood red peryton.

It took me a few more hours of backtracking as quickly as I could. Eventually I detected fresh air and a cool breeze coming from a large crack in one of the wall. I squeezed through and found myself in a cave that exited into the woods surrounding our estate. It was well past midnight by the time I found the stream that led towards town and eventually made my way to the front door of the castle, where I found everyone very upset and worried that I had disappeared for almost half a day.

“You were never in those catacombs. There is no iron door. There is no red peryton. Should you every mention what you saw to anyone, including myself, I shall see that you are struck dead and will do the deed myself. Do you swear to keep this secret?”

I answered that I swore on my honor as a Fallcrest Dragonhall. And he told me not to swear on our name, but to swear simply.

I swore to keep the secret, never forgetting the firm threat and neutral eyes of my father at that moment. But what bothered me the most was my father’s immediate response, as if he had always known what lay deep underneath the family castle.

That night I took my first drink, because that’s how I had always seen adults ignore their problems, and I didn’t really stop until I got married. My self-destructive actions were always a way to deal with not only the rift between my father and myself but also with the knowledge that something horrible lay beyond that peryton.”

Typhomine – ”I am sorry, but what does a peryton represent?”

Biff – ”Perytons are one of the symbols of Caradoc, the God of War and Conquest.”

Krowe – ”I know I swore to keep the secret of what I saw in those catacombs, but…the other night, I had a dream about the door. For the past few weeks Rose, we’ve had several encounters involving a tiefling named Sister Melancholia, and a few of those encounters involved her attempt to recover a sword, one of which Aya is now currently wielding. In that dream, I saw Melancholia approach the door and hold up Kolen’s seal…and the door opened…”

Kerirose – ”I know where you are going with this Krowe, but I do not believe Caeradesh would have been placed under our home.”

Krowe – ”It’s still a worry…and I am also worried because…if Sister Melancholia is after whatever is beyond that door, then our destiny will tie in with hers…and sister, you deserve to know the truth behind why our father and I do not get along. I’m just afraid that I may have put you at risk if he holds true to his word and comes to kill you.”

Kerirose – ”I would like to see him try.”

Krowe – ”In any case, Father does need to know about this. If what’s underneath our estate is a secret that he would slay his own son to protect, then it’s something we do not want Sister Melancholia to get her hands upon. Rose, I know he won’t accept a letter from me. I was hoping to write one anyway and ask that you deliver it since he still talks to you.”

Kerirose – ”I will not be seeing Father anytime soon…but I will see our oldest brother Konrad in Kaern Karina. I will give it to him to deliver. Now if you’ll excuse me, today is the day I introduce the squires to the knights that they will serve, and that means hours of standing around awkwardly as they’re put through their paces.”

Typhomine – ”Oh, does that mean the serving girl is going to be a squire? Aya said that she planned to put her through her paces last night…”

Kerirose departs, however not before leaving five platinum dragons on the counter for the innkeep to make up for his momentary loss of business. Typhomine chooses this moment to give Kynwal the item he had spent the past few days working on, a valuable gift for our party’s closet pyromaniac.

The party decides to take a day to recover and plan their next move while Hale sweats out the alcoholic toxins in her body by standing in front of the forge all day making bullets. The concern at the moment regarded the 3000 gold that Kynwal had taken out in a loan to assist with purchasing items at the underground auction and the party’s efforts to pay it back within 30 days to avoid accruing heavy interest. Pooled together the party had 1900 gold to assist with repayment and nearly three-and-a-half weeks before the loan came due.

Of course, Aya consulting the job board had nothing to do with repaying the loan and more to do with wanting to swing her sword at something.

quote:

Kynwal - "Did anyone here ever play the original Pool of Radiance? I kind of feel like we're in New Phlan and are debating between clearing the slums or assaulting Sokal Keep."

The towns of Hopehollow, Tallmeadows, and Willowood all lay to the east of the city, so the party decided to tackle those various tasks, beginning with the cemetery disturbances. There was also a stop at Halderwind’s Herbalism and Brews to take up the job regarding alchemical ingredients. The alchemist behind the counter tasked our party to find three rare materials.

- Frost maiden berries
- Wildwood berries, which glowed in the dark and maintained chaotic transmutation properties for up to 48 hours after being picked (Halderwind - ”They taste like transmutation and regret. So it’s very important that one does NOT EAT THEM!” Aya – ”One of us will totally be eating those berries.”)
- Ghost iron, gathered by slaying an incorporeal creature and obtain its weapon before it dissolved into nothingness and placing it into a magically prepared pouch

The party departs the next morning, arriving in the small village of Hopehollow after a few hours. Upon arriving the party sees the cemetery off to one side of the road, along with a small chapel dedicated to Arwin. Krowe however doesn’t see this as he has hopped off his horse to help a farmer who was struggling to help load a large pig into the back of his cart.

quote:

Farmer – ”Thank you sir! He’s a stubborn one.”

Krowe – ”No problem, happy to help. Would you possibly be able to tell me where the cemetery is by any chance?”

The farmer stares at Krowe for a moment before slowly raising his hand and pointing to the cemetery gates almost directly across the street.

quote:

Hale – ”Seriously Krowe?!? You can see it from your horse!”

Krowe – ”I was helping this farmer!”

Farmer – ”It’s OK, I…oh. Oh, I apologize sir. I didn’t notice your family crest.”

Krowe – ”That’s OK, I didn’t notice the cemetery…”

Kynwal – ”It would have been more embarrassing if you had asked for directions to the cemetery and then immediately asked where you could buy shovels.”

Aya – ”I wish to buy your pig!”

Farmer – ”Come again?”

Aya – ”Your pig! How much for him?”

Farmer – ”I was going to ask for five gold in Stonebridge.”

A moment later, Aya is the proud owner of a new pig she’s named “Hamm.”

quote:

Typhomine – ”You’re going to feed the pig wildwood berries, aren’t you?”

Kynwal – ”Hold on. Do you want Chaos Spawn? Because feeding transmutation berries to a pig is how you GET Chaos Spawn!”

A visit to the local temple adds more information to what Kynwal and Biff had discovered previously. Over the past few weeks the three towns had been plagued by a series of grave robberies. At first the robberies occurred only in Tallmeadows , but in the past few weeks the robberies had moved from Tallmeadows into both of the surrounding towns. In each incident it was always the most recently buried body (Biff – ”Otherwise known as the freshest corpse.” that had been stolen, and ONLY the body, with any valuables or keepsakes left behind in the now empty grave. An examination of the most recent crime scene revealed a set of heavy footprints that appeared to be made by boots that were best described as being reinforced with two set of soles. The footprints led away from the gravesite before abruptly ending outside of the cemetery. Krowe found a broken bone as well, one with the remains of ornamental leather as well as some residual magic.

The party also learned that a member of the Cabal named Raslaeri, a specialist in “defensive teleportation” magic, also had shown interest in the disturbances. Raslaeri, who hailed from Tallmeadows, had investigated the initial rash of grave robberies, but hadn’t been seen in several weeks.

The party mounts back up and arrives in Tallmeadows, a large town that sprawls over both sides of the Queensroad, by noon. They stop at the Temple of Arwin to talk to the local cleric who also served as the town’s constable, magistrate, barrister, and leader of the militia…

quote:

Krowe – ”Wow, that’s a lot on your plate. Do you also wield the knife for a brie?”

Cleric – ”I…come again?”

Biff – ”Do you mean a bris?”

Krowe – ”Oh my God…what the heck is up with my brain today?”

Typhomine – ”Yeah, you bring a cheese knife to brie, not a bris…”

The party is given three leads – the location of Raslaeri’s house, the identity of a local widow with whom Raslaeri spent a good deal of time, and a locksmith who had done some work for Raslaeri before his disappearance.

Aya and Hale discovered that the widow had not been seen in several weeks, coinciding with the disappearance of Raslaeri. Biff and Typhomine meet with the locksmith, who explains that he had been hired by Raslaeri to install two locks in his home. One was on the front door to the cottage, while the other had been installed inside the house as the mechanism to open a secret door. Biff crosses the street back to the temple and obtains a writ from the cleric/magistrate giving our group permission to break into Raslaeri's house under the guise of figuring out what happened to him. With this writ in hand the locksmith agrees to come with us and open both combination locks if need be. Kynwal and Krowe go to check on Raslaeri’s house. The door is locked and the curtains are drawn. As the pair study the house, an older man walking past asks us if we’re looking for Raslaeri. He invites us to his home to talk to his wife Gladys who might know more about him. Gladys, it turns out, is the resident neighborhood gossip. Realizing that Kynwal and Krowe are royalty, she puts on her nicest dress and brings out her best cheeses and a very lovely boysenberry pie. Over tea and snacks she tells the pair about the various figures who she would see coming and going from Raslaeri’s house – tall, gangly figures wrapped in robes and fabric, with heavy boots and accompanied by ”dogs bigger than wolfhounds but smaller than mastiffs.” She also mentions that they must have a key as they seem to be entering and leaving the building through the front door.

The party reconvenes at the temple and decides to head directly towards Raslaeri’s house under the assumption that he’s either behind the rash of grave robberies or discovered the truth behind them and was silenced.

Accompanied by the locksmith, the party arrives at Raslaeri’s house. Kynwal and Typhomine study the front door, specifically the lock, and determine that there are several magical effects present – an illusion effect on the lock, an evocation effect on the door, and transmutation effects on each of the windows. The evocation effect consists of Explosive Runes which Typhomine carefully dispels. The locksmith scoffs at the idea of an illusion on the lock. ”I installed this lock and I can pick it with my eyes closed.” He proceeds to do just that…

…which sets off the Alarm spell on the door.

It turns out that the tall, lanky figures that Gladys had seen weren’t walking corpses like we thought. They’re githyanki, and they brought their dogs with them…

…what the hell are those?!?

The dogs split open along their snouts, revealing bony ridged panther-like creatures (later identified as krenshars) that land the Frightened effect on several party members and the NPC locksmith who quickly books it the hell out of there. The party slowly whittle the krenshars down as Kynwal slows one of the githyanki and Krowe tanks the other one. Krowe’s githyanki misses him with every attack (two per round) save for a critical hit that did max damage on both dice and dropped Krowe to a quarter of his hit points in one shot. Once the krenshars and gith drop to zero hit points they vanish, their bodies returning to the Astral Plane. The locksmith emerges from hiding and joins the party, telling them he’s going to wait outside until they’ve made sure the house is clear.

Typhomine hopes and prays that the party doesn’t have to go to the Astral Plane as Krowe, healed up a little bit by Biff, kicks down the door and enters the house. The house is empty, save for a small pool of water in one corner, a table with an overturned chair, and a kitten.

Aya, with Hamm in tow and Krowe backing her up, approaches the kitten, who in turn approaches Aya as everyone else wisely takes a BIG step back just before the kitten takes a deep breath and breathes a cone of flame, knocking Krowe unconscious and sending Hamm squealing out of the house.

Turns out the kitten was a shapechanged young red dragon. Biff gets Krowe back on his feet as the party manages to defeat the dragon with little difficulty (DM – ”This is why high CR creatures have legendary and lair actions.”). The party pats itself on the back for defeating a dragon…a child dragon, but a dragon nonetheless…as Hale and Typhomine take turns “posing” with the corpse before dissecting it for materials.

The locksmith enters the house, holding Hamm in his arms, and closes the door behind him. As he does so however the house suddenly becomes pitch black save for a blue glow coming from the pool of water. The air above the water shimmers for a moment before the image of an older gentleman in gray robes holding a staff appears.

quote:

”So if you’re here and you’re seeing this message, I’m probably dead. Well, I’m definitely dead, which doesn’t surprise me, considering what I did a few weeks ago. If you look around the house, you’re going to find a hidden door that will take you downstairs to a vault I had sealed away. Whatever you do, do not open that vault. What’s inside there…it seemed like a good idea at the time, OK? I had a brain, I had some spare parts, I knew where to find some more spare parts…I just didn’t know he would have friends who’d come looking for him. As long as what’s inside there remains inside there however, everything’s going to be fine. All my spellbooks and all my notes have been sent to the Cabalist, so don’t expect to find anything if you search the place. Just turn around, walk away, and again, do NOT open the vault. Alright, time to go downstairs and see if I can’t solve this problem without getting myself killed. Yeah, good luck with that…”

The image fades away...

quote:

Biff – “So we’re going to open up that vault. Because whatever is down there isn’t something we can leave underneath the town in good conscience.”

Between the githyanki fight and the dragon, the party is running low on both hit points and spells and decide to take a long rest, however not before the locksmith reveals the location of the secret door and opens it for us, while up in the attic Aya finds out that not everything Raslaeri owned was sent to the Cabal.

Biff and Kynwal take the time during the long rest to return to the cleric and inform him of the githyanki and krenshars, and the apparent final fate of Raslaeri. At their suggestion and after providing the material components for the spell, the cleric comes to the cottage and casts Forbiddance on the cottage, ensuring that githyanki reinforcements are unable to suddenly shift into the cottage and attack us.

Once the long rest is completed, the party heads downstairs and discovers a wooden door that appears to have been attacked from within but managed to withstand the blows. In the lead, Krowe opens the door and steps into what appears to be a long vault.

quote:

Krowe – ”Be careful. There’s something down there, past the flaming brassieres.”

Aya – ”…you mean braziers, right?”

Two githyanki flank a large form sitting on a high-backed, splintered wooden chair.

quote:

??? – ”Ah, welcome. Thank you for opening that door. I am Jeris, the Beauty…”

Krowe – ”Wow, someone misnamed you.”

Hale – ”drat Krowe, that’s just mean.”

Jaris – ”…and I seek your hearts. Bring them to me!”

XXXXX

Biff’s player would sum up the session’s events as such…

quote:

”Are you saying that Raslaeri put a githyanki brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide FLESH GOLEM?!? IS THAT WHAT YOU’RE TELLING ME?!?

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 12, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Forget that, where do you keep finding baby beholders, kittens and pig miniatures?!

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Synthbuttrange posted:

Forget that, where do you keep finding baby beholders, kittens and pig miniatures?!

Per my DM...

quote:

The gazer mini is from Wizkids Monster Menagerie III series.

The cat is a Reaper minis familiar that I painted.

The pig is a Pathfinder mini that I found by accident on eBay and immediately purchased. Because... pig. His name is “Squealy Nord.”

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

CobiWann posted:

I'm tempted now to run a Deadlands session and gender flip the entire party. Have a town where the "men" are doing "women's" roles and vice versa because of a witch's curse and the posse wakes up the next morning with now three female PC's played by guys and one male PC played by a woman.

Is there a way to pull it off without being cat-pissy though? I trust my group, it's my ability to DM it that worries me.

Honestly? I think the concept is composed entirely of elemental catpiss, no matter how maturely it's handled.

JustJeff88 posted:

A video game and not a pen & paper one, but Might & Magic II had a town that was put in, I am convinced, to gently caress with the massively male-dominated player base that is almost certainly going to choose mostly if not all men for their digital avatars. The entire town is full of attractive female NPCs, but any male NPCs who come in lose stats rapidly until they die. There is of course a Dark Secret (tm) and a battle that can be fought to stop this, but the "boss" respawns every time you leave the town, so it's essentially something that is done once, the party does everything that needs to be done in the town and then never comes back.

I think it was M&M 2 that had one or two bosses that simply shut down PCs of one sex or the other, so you had to go find the sex-swapping fountains that the game otherwise inexplicably had.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bieeanshee posted:

Honestly? I think the concept is composed entirely of elemental catpiss, no matter how maturely it's handled.

I agree with this. Gender is a very sensitive and personal thing. At best you risk insensitive jokes.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bieeanshee posted:

Subjunctive posted:

I agree with this. Gender is a very sensitive and personal thing. At best you risk insensitive jokes.

Yeah...there's really no way to pull it off without it heading that route, especially considering there's a female player.

Thanks for the advice!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Bieeanshee posted:

I think it was M&M 2 that had one or two bosses that simply shut down PCs of one sex or the other, so you had to go find the sex-swapping fountains that the game otherwise inexplicably had.

I believe that you are correct. On a happy note, just a few days ago I found an easy way to play the Apple versions of M&M1 and 2 on a Windows computer after struggling to set up a Mac emulator myself. Not bad as birthday presents go.

quote:

Yeah, you bring a cheese knife to brie, not a bris…

To be fair, there may have been one of these at my bris, but only because they may have served refreshments and British people are big on hard cheese. I was very young then, so I don't really remember. Mind you, no reputable rabbi would use one for... official business

quote:

Krowe – ”…yes. Granted, I personally haven’t given my father very few reasons to praise me or treat me as worthy of the Dragonhall name.

Cobi, was this an error?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

JustJeff88 posted:

Cobi, was this an error?

Considering I as a player made three pronunciation errors this past session you tell me. :)

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

CobiWann posted:

Considering I as a player made three pronunciation errors this past session you tell me. :)

Honestly, I haven't not yet put very little thought into it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JustJeff88 posted:

British people are big on hard cheese

Do they also like Brie?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Today I goaded a little old lady into letting me be her +1 to the noble ball and rolled so well she mistook me for her nephew Henry and took me along. GYRO WINS!!!!!!!!!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

From my 1955 pulp game that's still prepping for the first mission, my comment in the Discord chat:

"I like how you guys haven't even gone on the first mission yet and you've already tried to go so off-book that you can't remember who you're assassinating."

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
A little teaser with how we advanced the overall campaign story arc in this week's Tanicus session...

quote:

Aya - "Krowe, I dare you to pee off the side!"

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
DM: Ithilbryn, the giant spider covers you in ropes of sticky webbing!
Me: Ah, so it's -that- kind of dungeon.

Ithilbryn's player: I'm immobilized, but I can still use my spiritual weapon?
Me: And your safeword.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

CobiWann posted:

A little teaser with how we advanced the overall campaign story arc in this week's Tanicus session...

Has Krowe been seen naked (or close enough) by the entire party at this point? There seems to be an awful lot of casual nudity going around, mostly involving Krowe.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Aniodia posted:

Has Krowe been seen naked (or close enough) by the entire party at this point? There seems to be an awful lot of casual nudity going around, mostly involving Krowe.

Both Krowe and Aya have been seen naked by the party. For Krowe it's because he has absolutely no shame and for Aya it's because her player has a coffee cup that says Barbarians - Clothes are optional.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bieeanshee posted:

DM: Ithilbryn, the giant spider covers you in ropes of sticky webbing!
Me: Ah, so it's -that- kind of dungeon.

Ithilbryn's player: I'm immobilized, but I can still use my spiritual weapon?
Me: And your safeword.

I hope the safeword isn't Hastur. :ohdear:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

CobiWann posted:

I hope the safeword isn't Hastur. :ohdear:
It's Pazuzu. Double the protection at no extra cost! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Previously on Tanicus – ”Are you saying that the conjurer put a githyanki brain into a seven and a half foot long, fifty-four inch wide FLESH GOLEM?!? IS THAT WHAT YOU’RE TELLING ME?!?

Previous recap - https://tinyurl.com/Tanicus-Part-11

X X X X X

”Bring me their hearts.”

At Jaris’ command the two githyanki wielding greatswords quickly advanced on the party. Once melee commenced the party discovered that the fight with the Flesh Golem would be a bit on the tricky side. One, it turned out that Jaris had access to legendary actions as he ordered the githyanki to “kill the priest,” letting them attack Biff a second time in an effort to wipe him out. Two, due to the mix of conjuration magic and plane shifting, the vault was actually the Flesh Golem’s lair, complete with lair actions…the first of which saw Krowe being involuntarily teleported, dissolving from reality for a second…

quote:

Krowe - ”Mr. Typhomine, I don’t feel so good…”

...to be deposited a few squares away.

quote:

Krowe – ”…nope, I’m OK.”

A mix of damage immunities, resistance to certain forms of magical damage, the ability to teleport, and an innate at-will Blur made Jaris a very tough fight. It also didn’t help that thanks to his githyanki brain the Flesh Golem had access to Telekinesis which he used to throw Kynwal around the room like a rag doll, slamming him down onto a burning brazier at one point.

quote:

Kynwal – ”Evil may win because Good is dumb, but thankfully Good can make his Concentration roll.”

Eventually the party managed to damage him enough that his primal instincts kicked in and he went berserk but not before a lair action banished Krowe into the Astral Plane for a turn. In the brief time he was in the Astral Plane Krowe noticed, amidst the swirling gray and purple, another githyanki. This one seemed to be observing the combat and had a gun similar to Hale’s strapped across its back only with a much, much longer barrel. Krowe, figuring that this githyanki was controlling or influencing the brain inside the Flesh Golem, took a swing at him only for the githyanki to easy parry the blow with his liquid metal sword. ”I am not your enemy,” the githyanki said to Krowe in Old Searian (a Tanicus equivalent to Latin) before the fighter was pulled back to the Prime Material Plane. A round later, the githyanki followed, appearing in the back of the room but doing nothing other than watching.

Kynwal and Aya are momentarily knocked out, but Jaris eventually falls as Krowe managed to snap the snitches on one arm, causing it to fall off, before decapitating the Flesh Golem with another swing. As the party took a second to catch their breath, the githyanki rushes forward, grabs the head containing the githyanki brain, and once again speaking in Old Searian says ”This is my property. Allow me to depart with it and there will be no bloodshed.” Only Krowe and Biff speak the language, and after a shared glance the two sheathed their weapons. The githyanki held forth his arm as silver liquid flowed down his arm into his palm, forming a silver triangle. ”A favor granted, a favor owed,” he says to Biff, handing the “coin” over to the cleric before vanishing back into the Astral Plane.

Aside from various papers and schematics relating to the knitting of flesh as well as a spellbook containing a variety of defensive spells, the party found a Manual of Flesh Golems, with the title written in a unknown language…or as the DM put it, ”a language none of you can read…yet.” There was also a stack of receipts for the sale of body parts, all above board, from bodies where the soul has been confirmed to have passed on and the last rites have been performed, sold to the conjurer for the purpose of legitimate experimentation under Cabal guidelines…guidelines which he obviously broke. Another chest held a grisly discovery – several female body parts packed in ice that when combined would form a large human nearly the size of a Flesh Golem. Biff gathered the remains for the attempt to properly identify and consecrate them for a proper burial.

quote:

DM – ”For the record, if you guys had taken another week to investigate the grave robberies, not only would the Flesh Golem have completed his bride but he also would have learned the ability to Plane Shift. He would have gone over to the Astral Plane and gotten more powerful and you would have taken him on down the road.”

Oh, and there was one piece of sweet loot and once piece of loot that SURELY won’t get any of us in trouble.

quote:

Kynwal – ”Just wait until we are well outside of town before using that bag, just in case we accidentally summon a giant man-eating plant.”

Aya – ”Accidentally? I am HOPING on it!”

The plan for the next day is to continue heading east down the trade road towards the town of Willowood which had been having all kinds of trouble with a bulette. The party stopped for a rest halfway between the town of Tallmeadow and the town of Willowood, which is when and where Typhomine decided it’s the perfect place to plant a magical bean from the pouch. ”The beans are infused with just a little bit of chaos magic,” Typhomine explains as he digs a hole in the ground, ”so whatever happens should be very interesting.” The party made sure the horses and pack animals are WELL away from Typhomine and Aya, who was peering over his shoulder as the bean settled into the ground. The DM asks Typhomine’s player to roll, looked in his notes…and got a look. There’s no other way in the world to describe it. He just got a look on his face before chuckling.

A minute later, there’s a slight rumble that knocks Krowe on his feet. The rest of the party keeps their footing as the rumble continues for a few minutes. At one point Kynwal looked up into the air and sees his familiar growing in size, but not because the bird is coming to Kynwal. Rather, Kynwal was going to the bird.

The effect of the magic bean were as follows – for 150 yards in a half-sphere from where the bean was planet, the dirt and bedrock have been carved out of the ground and was now floating into the air, moving south/southwest at two miles an hour. The horses have thankfully come with us, along with Hamm the pig…

quote:

Krowe – ”Huh. Look at that. A pig is flying.”

Aya – ”Hamm! You are flying! Is this not fun?”

Hamm – “SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!”

Biff – ”I have to admit, I did not see this coming…”

Kynwal – ”Of course you did. Allow me to give you my best Typhomine – ‘There seems to be a bit of chaos magic in these beans.’ We absolutely saw this coming. Although I admit I was betting on a magical beanstalk that led us to a Cloud Giant’s castle.”

Typhomine and Kynwal tried to figure out if they can someone control the flying island, with Typhomine having visions of pulling a Dragonlance and somehow turning the island into a flying citadel. Biff was waiting for Typhomine to hand the bag over because, to quote, ”you just lost ALL bean privileges.” Aya and Krowe walked to the edge of the island to see what they can see. Luckily there weren’t any towns below the island that they can see. They were just gently floating over a mix of farmland and empty grassland…

quote:

Aya – ”Krowe, pee off the side!”

Krowe shrugged, took it out, and attempted to do just that…only for a gust of wind to blow most of it back in his face. As Krowe did his best to wipe it off, he swore for a moment that he can hear a high chiming sound, almost like laughter, from somewhere nearby. He took out his crossbow, aimed into the empty air, and fired. The wind kicked up again, knocking Krowe off his feet and causing the bolt to zip past his ear and embed itself in the topsoil. Aya, who found this hilarious, stood behind Krowe and threw a rock which got caught up in the wind before spinning around and barely missing Aya as it whipped past her.

quote:

Aya – ”This is fun! Pee off the side again!”

Krowe – ”You know what, how about I dare YOU to pee off the side?”

Aya – ”Oh no, that would be much too difficult.”

As the cousins-in-law bickered, both of them saw four small whirlwinds rapidly approaching them. The swirling air spun around them, ducking between their legs and brushing past them with the same high-pitched chiming laughter. By the time Kynwal made his way over to see what the pair is up to, Aya was trying to reach into one of the whirlwinds only for her hand to be buffeted back by the force of the wind. Krowe meanwhile was being spun around by one of the whirlwinds and having the time of his life. Kynwal sighed and spoke in Primordial, calling out to the creatures. Aya and Krowe were dumped onto the ground as four lesser sylphs appeared, smiling and chatting rapidly amongst themselves. They told each other how much fun they’re having messing with the ”bearded man in a dress, the orange beastwoman, and the big clumsy man” and “Ahllya isn’t around to spoil the fun we hope.” Kynwal attempted to apologize to the sylphs for his comrades, only to be interrupted as a booming voice calls out. The sylphs quickly tried to hide, one each going behind Kynwal and Aya while the other two crowd behind Krowe, as a larger whirlwind spun into view. The whirlwind turned into a larger sylph who let out a loud sigh. ”You know I saw you try to hide right? Lord Easiel did not authorize this.” The lesser sylphs immediately tried to apologize only to be cut off by the larger sylph. ”My name is Ahllya,” she says to Kynwal, ”and I want to ask…how did you get up here?” The wizard explained what happened with the bean, eliciting a laugh from Ahllya. At her request Kynwal brought her to the hole in the ground where Typhomine was still trying his best to control the island with his mind...

quote:

Biff – ”Why hello…how YOU doing?”

Ahllya – ”Hey there, big boy.”

Hale – ”Really, Biff? She’s not even half your size!”

Biff – ”Beauty knows NO size.”

Ahllya says that she could get several of the party to the ground safely but the rest would still be stranded. And since there’s no telling how or when the island is going to crash back into the ground, there’s a very good chance for half the party to end up going *SPLAT*, even if as Krowe insisted they just jumped in the air right before impact. Kynwal mentioned that he overheard the name ‘Lord Easiel’ and asks if there was any way he could help us. ”Of course! Lord Eaisel can do anything! And he’s right over there!” Ahllya pointed into the distance. The floating island that we’re standing on (which our artificer insists be called Typhomine’s Rock) was approaching another floating island. One of Aya’s rumors from a few sessions ago mentioned sightings of a large rock flying through the sky, so while the rest of the party is staring in awe, Aya clapped her hands together and exclaimed, “THERE it is!”

Ahllya dives into the hole in the middle of Typhomine’s Rock. The island accelerated and quickly pulled up alongside the other island allowing the party to jump off. The surface of the second island was dotted with three towers, one standing off by itself with the other two connected by a curtain wall.

Ahllya and the lesser sylphs would bring the party to the top of one of the joint towers where a shimmering figure awaited. A discussion in a language whose words are the sounds of the wind took place, complete with gestures in our general direction. Eventually the shimmering figure reached into its form and pulls out an electrum-plated bowl. It placed the bowl on the ground and says a few words…

…and summoned a Djinn.

quote:

Easiel - ”I am Easiel al-Zabei…and for the last several minutes I’ve been having a frustrating discussion with a VERY angry dao about his missing land, land that was apparently pulled from the earth and flung into the sky. Is this land yours and have you claimed it for you own?”

Typhomine – ”Well…we do call it ‘Typhomine’s Rock.’”

Biff – ”But you don’t charge rent, and you can’t issue titles of nobility.”

Easiel – ”if it’s not your land and you’re not claiming it as your own, then how did it get up here?”

Typhomine – ”So I had this pouch full of magic beans…Biff has it now and won’t give it back…and I planted one, and next thing you know we were flying.”

Easiel – ”Ah! So the floating island is because of a magic item. Fantastic! It’s just a matter of bringing the land back to where it originally was and putting it down. Simple! That should shut that dao up.”

Kynwal – ”Lord Easiel, my name is Kynwal Starkweather, and…”

Easiel – ”Wait. You have names? I did not know this! Please, introduce yourself and continue!”

Kynwal – ”Kynwal Starkweather. Would be capable of placing myself and my companions on the ground?”

Krowe – ”Safely, of course!”

Easiel – ”Placing you on the ground and placing you on the ground safely are two completely different things! Which one would you prefer?”

Kynwal – ”To be placed safely back on the ground.”

Easiel – ”This is well within my power! I will be happy to assist you in this matter. It is a trifling task! Super easy! Barely an inconvenience!”

Typhomine – ”We would also like to request your assistance in creating an item that would allow us to control a flying island, if not this one than any that we would run across in the future!”

Kynwal – ”Any use of the word ‘we’ means ‘I’ when it comes from him, for the record.”

Easiel –”I am sorry but that is a task that I would not be able to assist with in a reasonable amount of time. But placing you back upon the ground safely is! Now, would this request also extend to your colleague in the tower?”]

Easiel explained how the floating island came to roam the skies of Tanicus. The three towers were part of two separate fortresses sworn to separate clans of djinn. Both fortresses shared the same rock, drifting about the Elemental Plane of Air near the Citadel of Ice and Steel. A few months ago, the island clipped a dimensional breach which flung a portion of the rock through the planes, bringing with it the single tower from one fortress and the two towers from the other fortress. In recent days Easiel has seen a robed human enter the tower. That human had yet to emerge, and as the single tower is still bound to its original clan Easiel and his subjects are unable to gain entry.

The words ‘dimensional breach,’ made Krowe wonder if the breach that brought Easiel’s towers to Tanicus was somehow related to the various rifts that the modrons from the party’s first adventure had been sent to seal shut. Biff volunteered to draw a rough map that would send Easiel’s island along a vector that might intersect with the modrons, an offer which pleases the djinn.

The party left the two towers and crossed the short distance to the single tower which turned out to be empty save for the large jagged hole in the ground floor. The hole sat atop a large shaft dug into the island’s bedrock. The party descended into the shaft and followed a passageway that leads deeper into the floating island, with a mastiff from Aya’s Bag of Tricks tracking the scent of a humanoid.

The passageway eventually led to a room with two exits. The mastiff directed the party towards one of the exits, but as Krowe followed the ground suddenly shifted beneath his feet. Two large fists would erupt from the stone and smash into him.

The party managed to shatter the elemental. The mastiff brought them into the next room, following the scent trail to a ledge overlooking another large shaft. Biff tossed a coin holding an Eternal Flame into the shaft and watched as the coin was buffeted about by a harsh wind, bouncing off of the walls before slowly sinking into the shaft and landing on the floor. Kynwal’s magical background allowed him to deduce that the shaft held a pocket of Elemental Air, one of possibly hundreds scattered across the island that serves to keep it afloat. Hale, being the smallest and lightest, was lowered down first, with Krowe serving as the anchor for the rope. She landed on the bottom and looked around.

quote:

Hale - ”It’s all clear, just be careful…”

Aya – ”Aya jumps into the shaft!”

Typhomine – ”Oh, well then Typhomine leaps as well!”

Hale – ”…of the spikes on the floor.”

After being tossed about for a bit, Aya made it safely on the floor while Typhomine slammed into a set of stalagmites off to one side. Biff (with the mastiff in his arms) and Kynwal also managed to land without concern…while Krowe, the last one to jump, smacked directly into the stalagmites. Grousing and cursing, Krowe stood up, brushed his shoulder off, and stomped over to the nearby door that’s been set into the wall.

Beyond the door stood a human wizard in red robes with his hands hovering over what appeared to be an orb without a shell, the “insides” glowing with bright lightning. Next to him stood another human, this one wearing what looks like a white cape mixed with a wingsuit, while a peryton hovered in one corner. Two small demonic looking creatures which Biff identifies as mephits crouched nearby as well. Everyone in the room looked up as Krowe stepped inside…

quote:

Krowe – ”Hey! Do you guys know you’ve got a huge hole in your floor?

The fight was a lot tougher than the party expected. The mephits managed to soak most of the damage being thrown their way while the figure in the wingsuit nimbly avoided the attacks. Throw in the mix the wizard casting a Stinking Cloud that put the party at disadvantage and it was one hell of an uphill battle.

quote:

Krowe – ”That’s a really cool model. Where’s that from?”

DM – ”It’s actually a Red Wizard of Thay from ‘Tyranny of Dragons.’”

Krowe – ”Wow, I remember them from ‘Baldur’s Gate.’ Are those guys still assholes?”

Typhomine – ”Oh don’t worry, Thay are.”

Biff was knocked unconscious at one point just as Krowe used Action Surge to cut down both mephitis at the same time. Both mephits react by exploded into fountains of mud which end up binding and restraining Aya.

quote:

Aya – ”Be careful Krowe! I am covered in mud and not in the good ‘mud wrestling’ kind of way!”

Biff – ”Oh come on, you can’t say that while Biff’s unconscious and can’t respond!”

The party manages to force a path towards the wizard, while Krowe slammed into the figure in the wingsuit and forces him out the door into the bottom of the shaft. The wizard responded by dropping a Fireball spell and then, after stepping forward into the heart of the party, cast Evard’s Black Tentacles. The combination of spells did a massive number on the party, knocking several of them unconscious. The wizard then proceeded to magically switch places with the man in the wingsuit, placing him out of reach of the remaining members of the party.

quote:

”Hold them off! I will inform Lord Ageddon!”

The remaining members of the party managed to finish off the man in the wingsuit and get healing potions down the throats of the fallen. By the time Kynwal made his way out of the room and to the bottom of the shaft, the wizard in red was vanishing from sight and the party was just too beat up to go after him. Typhomine attempted to use the orb-without-a-shell, only to be shocked by the lightning swirling around it. Kynwal and he determined that the orb-without-a-shell contained a very powerful portion of Elemental Air, and attempting to use the orb-without-a-shell without properly controlling it could send the island crashing to the earth. It was wisely decided to leave the orb-without-a-shell alone.

After looting the wingsuit-clad man, the party made their way back to Easiel, who was thankful for our efforts. The session ended with the sylphs moving Typhomine’s Rock back to its original location, but since nobody’s perfect the resulting landmark, slightly offset from the surrounding landscape, is now known as Typhomine’s Gully.

quote:

DM – ”For the record, when the rock lifted into the air I had to make a couple of rolls. You guys came really close to sharing the floating island with a very confused and very hungry bulette.”

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 25, 2018