Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

raditts posted:

good morning fak

I bought Celeste during the steam sale after seeing it at SGDQ and played through it this weekend.
I was kind of sick of the "jump around through spike-filled rooms and die a lot" platformers of the early 2010s but this one managed to be really enjoyable.
I just wish 50% of my deaths weren't from dashing in a corner when I was trying to dash straight and vice-versa. Was that an issue for anyone else or is it just my terminally fat fingers?

That definitely happened to me a bunch but I was also using a 360 dpad so I kinda expected it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i’ll perfect stealth no kill anything if i have the chance. a freaking ghost here

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I start out stealth games with the intent to be stealthy but halfway through the first level/area I inevitably gently caress up and then spend the whole game murdering everything instead

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In the Dishonored games it's really easy to accidentally kill people but there's no way to un-kill them. If they ever make another one I think they should give you an ability that brings dudes back to life so you can go "my bad" or find even more devious ways of killing them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Gooooooooooood morning july chat thread

Hi

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Do your first playthrough all stealth/no kills then unleash your true self in the second :twisted:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Technically killing everyone means no one witnessed you. Galaxy brain stealth.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

al-azad posted:

Agree on Metal Gear Solid in general, a series that gives you more guns than most FPS games, but really disagree on MGSV. The initial urge is to fulton everything and everyone but once you hit the cap you realize common soldiers are garbage and the only ones that matter are the mission unique ones and the unique ones with special abilities tied to every mission. MGSV is a game made easier and IMO a lot more fun when you turn the safety off and wreak havoc. And unlike past games the scoring system doesn't really penalize you for kills, it only cares about stealth and time.

It was really liberating to finally S an MGS game while leaving a trail of bodies behind me.

Huh, somehow I never realized that kills didn't penalize your ranking in MGSV. That seems appropriate, given the intended themes.

How many dudes do you have to kill to get the "demon" penalties?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

exquisite tea posted:

In the Dishonored games it's really easy to accidentally kill people but there's no way to un-kill them. If they ever make another one I think they should give you an ability that brings dudes back to life so you can go "my bad" or find even more devious ways of killing them.

Isn't that an actual gameplay mechanic in InFamous?

Saint Freak posted:

Technically killing everyone means no one witnessed you. Galaxy brain stealth.

Pretty sure MGSV runs by this exact logic. There is not one to witness you if you leave no witnesses.

(I think the score is "Alerts" so if you kill someone when they see you but before they can trigger the rest of their troop, you're clean)

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

MMF Freeway posted:

That definitely happened to me a bunch but I was also using a 360 dpad so I kinda expected it.

I had to swap to a dualshock for its separated buttons dpad to stop it from happening.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Feel like Road Rash always gets left out when people talk Genesis music. The way that the percussion sounds like an idling engine on this track is super cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9313JkkD6U

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Killing people definitely carries a score penalty in MGSV but if your fast enough the time bonus so far outstrips that penalty it doesn't matter.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Of course the real challenge is No Tracing missions. I was only ever able to no trace like..3 missions. But it's some unparalleled gaming highs.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

Killing people definitely carries a score penalty in MGSV but if your fast enough the time bonus so far outstrips that penalty it doesn't matter.

yeah, every mission has a hidden "par" time and so long as you beat that you get something like 90% of the points necessary for an S rank, so as long as you get some points for other things you're practically guaranteed to get one if you're constantly hauling rear end, even if you're firing a fully automatic grenade launcher at every soldier you see

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm glad it works in MGSV because it was weird in 4 having a billion guns and a named NPC merchant for them when I was still stealthing around not being seen or shooting much more than tranq stuff in the game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

oddium posted:

i’ll perfect stealth no kill anything if i have the chance. a freaking ghost here

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

really the best way to s rank stuff on the missions that don't have a mandatory stealth requirement or whatever is to get the non-lethal revolver and the raiden skin and just start going hog wild doming fools while lightning sprinting everywhere. speed bonus + no kills bonus = s rank with a minimum of effort

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lets hang out posted:

I had to swap to a dualshock for its separated buttons dpad to stop it from happening.

Its all one button under the faceplate :ssh:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

there’s a mission in mgs5 you can s rank starting by helicopter right at the goal and just machine gunning the radar dishes and flying away

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if you destroy them in the open world and start the mission before they respawn the helicopter pilot just goes "uh whoops guess we don't need to do anything" and the mission ends

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

really the best way to s rank stuff on the missions that don't have a mandatory stealth requirement or whatever is to get the non-lethal revolver and the raiden skin and just start going hog wild doming fools while lightning sprinting everywhere. speed bonus + no kills bonus = s rank with a minimum of effort

I think the raiden suit is the bonus for S ranking every mission

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

hm maybe i'm thinking of the grey fox suit? i could've sworn after doing s ranks legitimately a few times i definitely said gently caress it and strapped on some form of lightning shoes

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I finished dmc3 on normal and started over on hard (deleted the save on accident so I have to do the secret missions and everything again :sweatdrop:). I used trickster all the way through normal which gave me a lot of bad habits I'm sure so I'm using other styles now. Anyway the point is that I think I finally "get" dmc, after all these years. I played dmc3se around the time it came out, pretty sure I beat it, but I've never been comfortable with how these games play. They're so different from every other game in the genre, so vertically oriented, but now I'm starting to really enjoy it. Super looking forward to playing dmc4.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Samuringa posted:

Isn't that an actual gameplay mechanic in InFamous?

Yeah, there's a defibrillator power that can heal civilians lying on the sidewalk for a small amount of positive morality points.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Welp

I am now the owner of this bundle

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

FirstAidKite posted:

Welp

I am now the owner of this bundle

Pounded In The Butt By My Own Good Decisions: A Choose Your Own Adventure Novel By Chuck Tingle

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think they'd be a little too risque to read over a live stream but there's no way I'm gonna skip a chance to read these out over discord calls.

I basically told KCB the only reason I'd want them is if I was doing live readings of them and she'd love to sit there while I read them because she loves listening to me do live readings, whether of bad things or of good things that are funny or of things that she likes but I don't so it makes her laugh when I'm reading through something and start playing up my distaste with the material

In this case, it'll just be a fun time all around because everyone loves gay stuff and one of the lines I saw was that it's not gay if a male dinosaur does it with a male human

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

It’s true. That’s not gay at all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Training posted:

Of course the real challenge is No Tracing missions. I was only ever able to no trace like..3 missions. But it's some unparalleled gaming highs.

The idea that you can't even fire your gun silenced because that would leave a shell casing really makes getting it feel like such an accomplishment :cabot:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFdIGYfYXJw

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
https://twitter.com/thekirbybot/status/1016021455845224448

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

In Training posted:

IIRC you get a bonus for killing zero people but you also get points for headshots, cqc kills and taking dudes out in general so as soon as you kill one guy you might as well go ham.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The best score I ever got on a mission was where I flew in on Pequod and completely obliterated the targets from the air without even leaving the chopper

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

lets hang out posted:

I finished dmc3 on normal and started over on hard (deleted the save on accident so I have to do the secret missions and everything again :sweatdrop:). I used trickster all the way through normal which gave me a lot of bad habits I'm sure so I'm using other styles now. Anyway the point is that I think I finally "get" dmc, after all these years. I played dmc3se around the time it came out, pretty sure I beat it, but I've never been comfortable with how these games play. They're so different from every other game in the genre, so vertically oriented, but now I'm starting to really enjoy it. Super looking forward to playing dmc4.

beware that once you play as dante in dmc4 you will never want to play dmc3se without style switching

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

“no trace” in mgs5..... folks i’m talking about the ending

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the good news is he has to get through playing as stink arm for half the game first

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Harrow posted:

Huh, somehow I never realized that kills didn't penalize your ranking in MGSV. That seems appropriate, given the intended themes.

How many dudes do you have to kill to get the "demon" penalties?
Yeah its a nice contrast to the earlier games which are a lot about resisting the temptations of violence, whereas in MGSV Venom Snake just literally doesn't give any fucks about killing people anymore and his gameplay options and scoring reflect that.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

“no trace” in mgs5..... folks i’m talking about the ending

Nice

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cowcaster posted:

the good news is he has to get through playing as stink arm for half the game first

his frustration will get bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Help Im Alive posted:

When did they stop putting dinosaurs in video games

Viewtiful Jew posted:

They ain't in Tekken no more and that's a drat shame.

That second season pass for Tekken 7 better have some sort of dinosaur fighter in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vXgKkVJW7Y

• Locked thread