Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sion posted:

y i k e s

I kind of wish there was a gothic game like vampire that I could support that wasn't made by people that were real fuckin' lovely. What's the cross over with Onyx Path on this? Am I gonna have to feel bad about giving them money for Scion?

edit - answered at the bottom of the post, thank gently caress.

Just buy the 90s game from ebay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Liquid Communism posted:

In more fun TRPG news, here's an interesting set of articles on the Swedish edgelord cabal that is Nu White Wolf and how they appear to be deliberately courting the alt-right as their intended audience for the oWOD relaunch.

http://www.dogwithdice.com/whitewolfaredead/

It's wrong/vague enough on Zak that it's probably going to just be useful feeding his persecution complex. He's an enormous shitbag, but he was canny enough to be vocally anti-GG (which is presumably why his brief friendliness toward Desborough fell apart) and the article seems to imply the opposite.

It also left out the part where MRH blatantly made up domestic abuse allegations against Olivia Hill to win an argument that was mostly him telling non-Nazis that we're being too mean to Nazis.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I hate how it's more and more obvious that a lot of people in this industry are like onions that are more and more rotten as you peel away the layers.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

but he was canny enough to be vocally anti-GG

Zak's entire online persona is built on pretending to be progressive which is why he has publicly decried GG in the past, but the Venn diagram of Zak and GG's tactics and ideology have always been just one big ol' circle.

It'll feed into his persecution complex because he'll loudly crow that literally any form of disagreeing with him constitutes harassment, but describing him as a Gamergater is still correct.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Jul 9, 2018

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Cassa posted:

From my understanding, it's the CEO who's a huge piece of poo poo.
Yeah even Jessica Price in an interview said that its the CEO is lovely while everyone else is fine.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/pointclickbait/status/1016121423310434305

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The big question regarding whether I will buy stuff from White Wolf or not is this. Will they bring back Sam Haight?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

The big question regarding whether I will buy stuff from White Wolf or not is this. Will they bring back Sam Haight?

Yes, but in this version instead of being really mad at werewolves he's mad about immigrants.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Lemon-Lime posted:

Zak's entire online persona is built on pretending to be progressive which is why he has publicly decried GG in the past, but the Venn diagram of Zak and GG's tactics and ideology have always been just one big ol' circle.

It'll feed into his persecution complex because he'll loudly crow that literally any form of disagreeing with him constitutes harassment, but describing him as a Gamergater is still correct.

Absolutely, but with the attention this is getting, that easily misinterpreted/falsifiable part of the article will be a shield for him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Plutonis posted:

Sam Haight is back.

Sam Haight's new catchphrase is 'blood and soil' and 'the wolves will not replace us'.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So White Wolf made an official response:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh boy an invitation to dialogue.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Liquid Communism posted:

So White Wolf made an official response:

fart sound effect

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm really glad that Dog With Dice article is making the rounds because gently caress those people and gently caress that response.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
tfw your official company response is to sealion someone

Saguaro PI
Mar 11, 2013

Totally legit tree

That Old Tree posted:

Absolutely, but with the attention this is getting, that easily misinterpreted/falsifiable part of the article will be a shield for him.

This thing folks sometimes do where all the people we hate need to be best buds is both rhetorically lazy and just super weird. I think it's reasonable to point out the situations where his ideology and tactics intersect, but there's no need to say his bullshit is exactly the same as their bullshit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Saguaro PI posted:

This thing folks sometimes do where all the people we hate need to be best buds is both rhetorically lazy and just super weird. I think it's reasonable to point out the situations where his ideology and tactics intersect, but there's no need to say his bullshit is exactly the same as their bullshit.

One of these two things is a hate group that organises the mass harassment of minorities in the games/games journalism industry in an effort to push them out of that industry. The other is a guy who organises the mass harassment of minorities in the tabletop industry in an effort to push them out of that industry.

It's the same loving bullshit.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 9, 2018

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Plutonis posted:

Just buy the 90s game from ebay

yeah but I want a version without celerity being loving busted

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sion posted:

yeah but I want a version without celerity being loving busted

Houserule?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

A marker to cross out the "it". Nobody wants 4 dots in celery.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jimbozig posted:

A marker to cross out the "it". Nobody wants 4 dots in celery.

Works out, IMO.

Or “we’re all trying to have fun, let’s not abuse the weaknesses of the game in a way that interferes with that, OK?”

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
https://twitter.com/root_of_all_eli/status/1016240359012093952?s=19

Yeah I dunno peeps, I think there might be a little bit to that articles point.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
https://twitter.com/machineiv/status/1016124904872144896

Y I K E S

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

Sam Haight is back.

Sam Haight's new catchphrase is 'blood and soil' and 'the wolves will not replace us'.

Kai Tave posted:

Yes, but in this version instead of being really mad at werewolves he's mad about immigrants.

So does that mean he's skinning Honduran people alive and wearing their skins???

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Saguaro PI posted:

It is though. Remember he was friends with at least one maybe two ridiculously prominent gamergaters. In the one case stupid hat mans behavior never really changed and the only difference was that it pretty much career suicide to associate with him. In the other case I really doubt that he didn't know he was working for an overt nazi.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Cassa posted:

Oh my god lmfao

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

OK but the Onyx Path Podcast has like three hosts, if recurring names are anything to go by.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I think she means Matt Dawkins, who is the only name I see with both V5 credits and OP Credits on the podcast.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Cassa posted:

They just rolled the hitler numbers on their dice when they were writing the example, you can't blame them for that. You have to use the dice once you roll them, it's the rules.

please buy what I am selling and do not react with very open disbelief

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

I mean I'm also kind of confused by how someone who less than a week ago talked about their pitch to WW thinks that it's somehow damning for a single OPP employee to also write for WW. If you wanted to convince me that OPP weren't innocent victims, writer overlap in an industry with 99.9% freelancers isn't the way to do it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'm kind of greatful that they were overt enough to invoke 14/88 and spare me the effort of verifying everything else.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if nuWW had just blundered into these nazi callsigns. Much like Trump in his democratic years, they seem to be a mix of incompetence, unquestioned assumptions, and only a vague understanding of any ideology at all that they just sort of lurch into shittiness. Fascism through failure at life, as it were.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Desiden posted:

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if nuWW had just blundered into these nazi callsigns. Much like Trump in his democratic years, they seem to be a mix of incompetence, unquestioned assumptions, and only a vague understanding of any ideology at all that they just sort of lurch into shittiness. Fascism through failure at life, as it were.

Oh they almost certainly blundered into some of them through incompetence. But there's others that's clearly them trying to push the limits of what's acceptable in a desperate drive to be edgy and relevant, then walking it back once the backlash gets too hot to handle. Still others are a non-native english speaker trying to tackle complex concepts and tripping over his tongue/and/or/fingers at every available opportunity. Which is something they should have fixed after the 2nd time it happened.

Either way a facebook post deriding their detractors as conspiracy theorists and stating that this is all just trying to "START DISCUSSION" is not good for their optics.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's basically Nazi is as Nazi does at this point.

You can't accidentally wink and blast a dogwhistle that hard without knowing who's cheering you on.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

LatwPIAT posted:

I mean I'm also kind of confused by how someone who less than a week ago talked about their pitch to WW thinks that it's somehow damning for a single OPP employee to also write for WW. If you wanted to convince me that OPP weren't innocent victims, writer overlap in an industry with 99.9% freelancers isn't the way to do it.

To be fair, I said pitch to WW. But that was more short hand. It was OPP, by way of the WW liaison since at the time he was the only real "White Wolf" as it was (this was long before the Paradox buyout). Technically it was a pitch to WW. But it was also a pitch to OPP because at the time, the two were functionally indistinguishable. When I'm not referencing very specific things, I tend to use WW because that's the name everyone knows. I never actually worked with WWP in its current form. I got a few book notes back from them from work I did before the takeover, but I never did a pitch through them. In fact, very shortly after they took over, I told OPP that I wouldn't be taking further development contracts if they were for WWP-owned properties.

I don't know that it's inherently damning that there's overlap per se. It just rubs me the wrong way when people pretend that they're completely different entities with different values and talent. You can't flee the writers for V5 by buying OPP WoD books, because a V5 developer is literally the OPP WoD line developer.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

It's basically Nazi is as Nazi does at this point.

You can't accidentally wink and blast a dogwhistle that hard without knowing who's cheering you on.

There was a defense elsewhere about how they were just random numbers, as if this were actually the numbers rolled randomly and not selected to show a specific outcome. Given the history of the edition to this point, the rationale is baffling.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I hate that we have to be on the lookout for nazi symbolism that might slip under our radars.
I hate that if I were to explain this to most people they would think I'm a nutjob conspiracy theorist.
I hate that nazis are even part of this culture war that is going on. They should be dead by now. We should have gotten rid at least of them, of all things.

I hate a lot of things.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

LatwPIAT posted:

Since I started writing for the nwod, "WW" has meant...

1) White Wolf, a ttrpg studio in Georgia, US
2) CCP North America, a videogame company who had the same address and some of the same people, who used "White Wolf" as an imprint name.
3) CCP Transmedia, a group of two or three people inside CCP after almost everyone got moved to the MMO
4) A freelancer who handled the license for CCP, who the then-new Onyx Path ran books past after the MMO got cancelled and the Transmedia group broke off to be Onyx Path.
5) White Wolf Entertainment, a subsiduary of Paradox, who bought the ip from CCP. Same as 4, but it's a bloke at WWE onyx path now run books past.

It's like saying you ran a book past FASA for approval - who you're talking about depends entirely on the year it happened.

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jul 9, 2018

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Dave Brookshaw posted:

Since I started writing for the nwod, "WW" has meant...

1) White Wolf, a ttrpg studio in Georgia, US
2) CCP North America, a videogame company who had the same address and some of the same people, who used "White Wolf" as an imprint name.
3) CCP Transmedia, a group of two or three people inside CCP after almost everyone got moved to the MMO
4) A freelancer who handled the license for CCP, who the then-new Onyx Path ran books past.
5) White Wolf Entertainment, a subsiduary of Paradox, who bought the ip from CCP

It's like saying you ran a book past FASA for approval - who you're talking about depends entirely on the year it happened.

Oh god this. And every time those things changed, the "very important discussions" about the uncertain times ahead or whatever.

But yeah, at the time I was talking about, it was Period 4 in our mutual timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I hate that we have to be on the lookout for nazi symbolism that might slip under our radars.
I hate that if I were to explain this to most people they would think I'm a nutjob conspiracy theorist.
I hate that nazis are even part of this culture war that is going on. They should be dead by now. We should have gotten rid at least of them, of all things.

I hate a lot of things.

The freaking DHS has a 14-word slogan starting with We Must Secure. The dogwhistles are everywhere these days. Its depressing.