Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

the OVA for blood blockade battlefront is out and the thread is archived

zapp is a giant rear end in a top hat and i'm only a quarter of the way through and it's the best

e: somehow, zapp was not the high point of the episode. i love this series.

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Paper Triangle posted:

I've never understood what the deal was here because this pillows album came out in 2002, LBH started in 2005, and I have no idea what a biscuit hammer is despite the fact that it was my name on here until my awareness of the existence of LBH caused me to change my name to the name of a different pillows song.

Biscuit Hammer is a weird translation of the big wooden hammer used to pound rice into that delicious gooey mochi. Think 4kids replacing riceball with hamburgers type of translation.

LBH is the weird localization of the Japanese title "Hoshi no Samidare" or "Samidare of the Stars" so it's all charmingly arbitrary anyways.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnacondaHL posted:

Biscuit Hammer is a weird translation of the big wooden hammer used to pound rice into that delicious gooey mochi. Think 4kids replacing riceball with hamburgers type of translation.

LBH is the weird localization of the Japanese title "Hoshi no Samidare" or "Samidare of the Stars" so it's all charmingly arbitrary anyways.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's the english title mizukami chose. it's not a localization at all.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

AnacondaHL posted:

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer was always the official subtitle for the series (well okay, it was originally The Lucifer and Biscuit Hammer), even before it was translated. IIRC Mizukami is just a pillows fan, and a few names in LBH are pillows references because of that.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Need I remind you that there are some peeps out there who decided to choose The Eotena Onslaught to translate infamous manga/anime/money-making-machine Shingeki no Kyojin / Attack on Titan?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

need i remind you out there that someone thought 'attack on titan' was a name that made sense

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wark Say posted:

Need I remind you that there are some peeps out there who decided to choose The Eotena Onslaught to translate infamous manga/anime/money-making-machine Shingeki no Kyojin / Attack on Titan?

I needed to find the chestnut of an explanation again

https://pastebin.com/7ieHykVh

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

need i remind you out there that someone thought 'attack on titan' was a name that made sense
"Mangaka assistants/editors, dude".

I mean, I swear I read somewhere that it was one of his editors that decided to give Durarara!! its title and Ryohgo was like "Wait, what? Uh... well, ok". :shrug:

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
jojos bizarre adventure is the only accurate manga title

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Endorph posted:

It does make sense.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
youve gotta be on the titan to attack it. it's brilliant really

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I remember when AOT was first blowing up I went for months assuming it was some mecha anime set on the moons of Saturn

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Japanese people don't speak English but thinks it sounds cool anyway, news at 11.

Edit: Cage in Lunatic Runagate

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

And as we know, the Japanese are the only ones that gratuitously use other languages to sound cool.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
"Häagen-Dazs is an American ice cream brand, established by Reuben and Rose Mattus in the Bronx, New York, in 1961."

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I'm really late but Biscuit Hammer was really good when I first read it and I think it still is, issues and all?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's the english title mizukami chose. it's not a localization at all.

Yea sort of like how Diamond Is Not Crash was the offical Part 4 name until english speaking people saw it en masse for the first time in the All Star Battle video game previews and it got quickly and quietly changed.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Planet With was certainly an intruiging start, I'll give it that. Kinda reminds me of a Nisio Isin piece in some ways. Curious to see how it develops.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hanebado 2 : Jesus Christ, someone get these kids a therapist because they really could do with one and they're about one bad episdoe away from breaking their racquets over their heads.

Dropkick on the Devil: Eh, not my scene, sorry.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

New Ace Attorney S2 visual. Hoping they up the production values this go-round.

Also, Hiroaki Hirata is voicing Godot, which is....perf.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
unfortunate that this couldn't serve as hideki kamiya's professional voice acting debut

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spiritus Nox posted:

I remember when AOT was first blowing up I went for months assuming it was some mecha anime set on the moons of Saturn

When I first heard about it I askes what it was and the guy said, "I haven't read it but I think it's like 'what if everyone was the Hulk'"

I'm still kinda disappointed that it's wasn't that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Phantom in The Twilight & Holmes both ended up being boring :sigh:

I can't wait for FREE! S3 and Tenrou: Sirius the Jaeger to be out SOON.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

unfortunate that this couldn't serve as hideki kamiya's professional voice acting debut
Alas, he'd probably redirect us to ask our mothers. And I'm not ready for the answer under those circumstances. :ohdear:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Waffleman_ posted:

New Ace Attorney S2 visual. Hoping they up the production values this go-round.

Also, Hiroaki Hirata is voicing Godot, which is....perf.

Godot Godowns so I guess this is worth at least a look.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Asobi Asobase first ep was funnier than the newest episode of Gintama. So far it's the season show that's most likely to make my side hurt from laughing too much.

Chio is funny in a much much calmer way.

Island is spinning up too slowly, hard to keep interested.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Chio

Holy poo poo

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

This is a fun series and it's definitely going way past where the scans have gone

RME
Feb 20, 2012

HenryEx posted:

Speaking of Chio

Holy poo poo

the logo on the other cover is spot on too

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The guy who draws Chio must be the only person in Japan who plays every major western game.

Jyashin is actually improved by being animated since it makes the violence louder and funnier, unfortunately it still only has one joke that isn't even that great the first time.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jul 10, 2018

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Oh poo poo the second ep of Hanebado is really good. I'm fully on board now lol

I felt that the first ep was so loaded with trauma that it was inching towards sadistic, but this ep chilled out enough that I was able to get invested. It can still get dark, but in ways that were a bit more nuanced. Everything just felt more balanced.

The animation is still really ambitious, but it's applied in more interesting ways too. I felt more of what the characters were feeling as they played, instead of just thinking "woah that looks cool". Lots of surprisingly revealing downtime scenes too, like there's a bunch of scenes of about eating meat at a convenience store after practice and they are just as revealing about the cast as the matches.

https://my.mixtape.moe/uoancc.mp4

Good anime.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

wazzat

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

considering the presence of demons, I'm guessing jashin-chan dropkick

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Planet With sure is doing something. I don't love the CG mecha but I wanna see where this thing goes-

peace teddy bear be damned

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
banana fish seems like it'll be good but I think I just read it way too recently. well, maybe there's literally anything else this season

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Asobi Asobase and Cells at Work are off to a good start. I bounced hard off of Planet With, but each to their own.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
this ep of the mountain climbing show looks rough as hell, but apparently it was all done by a single animator

not sure that is the greatest idea from a production standpoint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sindai posted:

The guy who draws Chio must be the only person in Japan who plays every major western game.

Jyashin is actually improved by being animated since it makes the violence louder and funnier, unfortunately it still only has one joke that isn't even that great the first time.

Just based on the scans, most of it falls on a few recurring jokes: Yurine's sadism against Jyashin, Jyashin's pettiness towards everyone else, Pekora being homeless and starving, and so on.
Most of the variation comes from how these end up, but at least, as far as the manga goes, they introduce new characters enough that they can start pulling out new formulas based on the new characters or use the old ones with the new introductions.

• Locked thread