Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

You basically get 2 second round picks then don't select again for an eternity. 27 blows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

yeah, i picked in the middle least year and that's about the best place to be, imo

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

JoelJoel posted:

You basically get 2 second round picks then don't select again for an eternity. 27 blows.

Nah its not bad. Last year between 27-36 was: Werenski, Malkin, Backstrom, Marchand, Barkov, Pastrnak, Getzlaf, Bergeron, Ekman-Larsson, Hamilton, and then the next pick for that person was Couture. So it's a potentially rough spot but you do have the chance to capitalize in that tail end of the first round.

Also I'm out of town for most of next week (but I'll still be online) so being able to take a long break isn't the worst thing.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im going to take Luca Sbisa with my back to back picks because a pick that good should take up two spots.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Less pressure to gently caress up with a later pick, which is truly ideal.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Hey cute stuffs. Reminder we're starting tomorrow at 10:00 AM EST. Be on guard if you're slotted to pick early. Fisk and JoJo have already been pinged.

See y'all tomorrow!

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
im going to pick patrick marleau

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

hardly a mystery but i pmed my pick since i can't make it today on time

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I am excited to build a team full of youth and potential that with the benefit of five years of hindsight is actually entirely devoid of any real talent.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Brooks Orpik has mere minutes to sign a new contract so we know what we're getting.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
i will be picking for jonathan fisk and zodijacky. the draft floor officially opens in 15 minutes so the first selection will be made then

good luck and have fun y'all

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don’t have a gimmick yet, someone think of a good gimmick.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Jordan7hm posted:

I don’t have a gimmick yet, someone think of a good gimmick.

Only good old Ontario boys

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The Draft Floor Is Now Open

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

With his first selection, Jonathan Fisk selects a man who has never seen a camera before, Connor McDavid.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
On Deck:

JoelJoel (12:00 PM EST)
Zodijacky
glynnenstein

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Dallas selects Sidney Crosby from some small east-coast town, Canada.

We all know who this is. 3 cups, 2 Conn Smythes, 2 Art Ross, 2 Harts, 2 Rockets, and all the all-star votes. Internationally: WJC gold, WC gold, WCoH gold, and Olympic gold with MVPs all around. This man is all things hockey (and very little else).

Tragically born without a personality, Crosby powered through to be the wooden, unblinking face of the league for a decade+. Since his only discernible character trait is his obsession with the number 87, he's signed to an absurdly friendly 8.7 mil through 24-25.

Coming off his lowest shooting% season since 2012, Crosby still manages 29G and 89P. He's got plenty of gas left in the tank and might even have a few100 point season left in him yet!

Is there a better player to build a winning team around? No.

*Beep Poob*

Zodijackylite
glynnenstein
Thufir

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Centers are flying off the board, and that continues with our next selection.

Zodijackylite selects, from the hockey hotbed of Scottsdale, Arizona, Auston Matthews.

On Deck:
Glynnenstein (12:43 PM EST)
Thufir
ThinkTank

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

In an attempt to emulate the Actually Good Washington Capitals, the Washington Capitals select Nikita Kucherov.

Unless it doesn't work out in which case this was totally a gimmick pick somehow.

Next ups:
Thufir (12:49pm EST)
ThinkTank
fawning deference

glynnenstein fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jul 9, 2018

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
The Nashville Predators select friend to all animals Evgeni Malkin

e: next up

ThinkTank
fawning deference
stab

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
cute rear end pic

by the way here's the spreadsheet in case you want to make idle commentary https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ZXbrSmiLyeQv4HsJ2nYdeQabNxDSUKk2LcMcoL0hsZI/edit#gid=0

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

poo poo I was hoping people would forget about McDavid

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

yes I was really hoping mcdavid would fall to tenth

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

tofes posted:

yes I was really hoping mcdavid would fall to tenth

Thats tyler johnson territory!!!!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky

eXXon posted:

poo poo I was hoping people would forget about McDavid

fortunately malkin has managed not to slip to the 20s (?) this year

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

corn on the cop posted:

fortunately malkin has managed not to slip to the 20s (?) this year

That was a weird year.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Gonna need to trade Matthews for someone more cost-controlled, or burn all the goodwill trying to sign him to a 2-year bridge deal.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

corn on the cop posted:

Centers are flying off the board, and that continues with our next selection.

Zodijackylite selects, from the hockey hotbed of Scottsdale, Arizona, Auston Matthews.

The Ottawa Senators would like to thank corn on the cop for making the pick, because we were too busy focused on our other business dealings to manage the team.

Here in the Ottawa Senators organization, we have a history of acquiring players who were heralded as leaders of the Toronto Maple Leafs, from Dion Phaneuf, to oh boy let's not talk about this any more.

Auston is a big #1 center with hands and hockey instincts. He's the real deal, a complete package, and a wise man once told me "you can't teach that," referring to the Senators organization's inability to develop and coach players. So we went out and got one who knows what you need to do to win hockey games: score more goals than you allow.

We would also like to give lip service to the Montreal media, whose constant nagging and grandstanding has not gone unnoticed, as we have used our first pick to select a bilingual player. Au revoir!

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Due Up:

fawning deference (2:55 PM EST)
stab
eXXon
tofes

e: ThinkTank has selected

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

While I am not at all convinced this season wasn't a fluke, he fits my first round ideal of a quick, #1 centre with playmaking and scoring ability who's under 25 so I'll take Nathan MacKinnon

He's had some serious ups and downs in his career, and it's hard to believe that he's still only 22 considering he's been around forever. Still, he's only one of two or three players in the league who can go stride for stride with McDavid and he really improving his positioning and shot this year. Do I feel like he's a lock for 80 points next year? No, but I feel like his combination of skill and speed is too hard to pass up given that he finally brought it all together last year. He's also signed for another 5 years at an insanely reasonable $6.3M per (not that that stuff matters so much with a first round pick).

This is one of the harder first round selections I've ever had to make. There are a few other players I considered here, and at least one other young centre and I'm certainly not sure about this one. Still, he's a hell of a player and hopefully can carry the balance of my offence moving forward.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

i remember the year i got mackinnon at the end of the second round

it was a good pick

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

ThinkTank posted:

While I am not at all convinced this season wasn't a fluke, he fits my first round ideal of a quick, #1 centre with playmaking and scoring ability who's under 25 so I'll take Nathan MacKinnon

He's had some serious ups and downs in his career, and it's hard to believe that he's still only 22 considering he's been around forever. Still, he's only one of two or three players in the league who can go stride for stride with McDavid and he really improving his positioning and shot this year. Do I feel like he's a lock for 80 points next year? No, but I feel like his combination of skill and speed is too hard to pass up given that he finally brought it all together last year. He's also signed for another 5 years at an insanely reasonable $6.3M per (not that that stuff matters so much with a first round pick).

This is one of the harder first round selections I've ever had to make. There are a few other players I considered here, and at least one other young centre and I'm certainly not sure about this one. Still, he's a hell of a player and hopefully can carry the balance of my offence moving forward.

There really are lots of great players here. MacKinnon may have had a career year but he has insane tools and is a solid pick.

The Blackhawks select Taylor Hall. Hall is a 26 year-old league MVP and an elite offensive force. Perfect player to build around and he's only making $6m the next two years. He will be due to double that but he's worth it.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

tofes posted:

i remember the year i got mackinnon at the end of the second round

it was a good pick

I've been waiting for MacKinnon to break out for years. He always seemed like he could be hitting 80-90 points but I'm guessing his team wasn't doing him any favors.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Nasty Nate should be PPG for the foreseeable future.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

Ugh i hate drafting this high up because i always spend days worrying i reached on my pick

And my M.O is to draft well in later rounds for a good team and my first couple rounds are oof

That being said gently caress it

Steven Stamkos

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Can't go wrong with Stamkos man. Dude also has an awesome contract. I almost took him.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

fawning deference posted:

Can't go wrong with Stamkos man. Dude also has an awesome contract. I almost took him.

For the vets who know me by now, they are positively shook i didnt take the one player i take in the 1st round every year

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Due Up:

eXXon (3:41 PM EST)
tofes
Boomer the Cannon
corn on the cop

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going to take Erik Karlsson and a box of spare ankles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

I'm going to take Erik Karlsson and a box of spare ankles.

I was hoping he would just keep on falling but still... He's so damned good.