Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bust Rodd posted:

Also doesn’t wage gap only really start to show its teeth in the dying upper middle class?

Like wage slave fry cook are like 8-10 an hour no matter what the gently caress bits you have and I know from previous partners that like nurses don’t have a gendered wage gap, it’s all experience.

My perception has always been that wage gap affects people in like finance related fields (marketing firms, financial advisory, publicity etc.) and things like entertainment (again, only the fabulously wealthy, like you get 6 million as a woman when a man would get ten million, cry me a loving river).

I could see it taking place in STEM because it’s such a famous boys club but isn’t that all highly specialized expensive work?

What lower class/middle class sorts of jobs feature wage gap? Teachers? Engineers?

I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, I believe it does, I just genuinely don’t know what level of economic adversity it actually begins.

It begins with literally any job that pays over minimum wage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bust Rodd posted:

Also doesn’t wage gap only really start to show its teeth in the dying upper middle class?

Like wage slave fry cook are like 8-10 an hour no matter what the gently caress bits you have and I know from previous partners that like nurses don’t have a gendered wage gap, it’s all experience.

My perception has always been that wage gap affects people in like finance related fields (marketing firms, financial advisory, publicity etc.) and things like entertainment (again, only the fabulously wealthy, like you get 6 million as a woman when a man would get ten million, cry me a loving river).

I could see it taking place in STEM because it’s such a famous boys club but isn’t that all highly specialized expensive work?

What lower class/middle class sorts of jobs feature wage gap? Teachers? Engineers?

I’m not saying it doesn’t exist, I believe it does, I just genuinely don’t know what level of economic adversity it actually begins.

You have an unusually broad definition of finance (PR?), but it definitely happens in STEM and by no means are all tech workers upper middle class. Most are making 70K in an expensive city writing marketing web sites or maintaining ancient bullshit. Similarly, most people in entertainment are scraping by, with women scraping harder than men. Paralegals, sales, theatre, basically any trade (including programming), advertising, accounting, etc. It’s present in many more industries than not, and in basically everything between minimum wage and “career-track” positions.

(Even in the minimum wage positions, it’s been shown that men are given more schedule flexibility and disproportionate amounts of extra work or overtime options.)

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lauren Southern denied a visa to australia :lol:
https://twitter.com/lukeizaak/status/1015955218566033409

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

gently caress off, we're full, lmao.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That looks like she was just denied the electronic fast path, and can still apply for a visa. No?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subjunctive posted:

That looks like she was just denied the electronic fast path, and can still apply for a visa. No?

Yeah there's now a bunch of infighting going on in the australian far-right accusing that organiser of applying for the wrong visa on purpose to generate buzz and also not actually inviting peter molyneux or something

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
5D chess.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
White Nationalist Kyle "Based Stickman" Chapman Arrested for Felony Assault with a Deadly Weapon

Sounds like kyle might finally go to prison for a long while this time (i'm pretty sure he was on parole for earlier assaults), for picking a bar fight and fracturing someones skull with a bar stool.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ekuNNN posted:

Yeah there's now a bunch of infighting going on in the australian far-right accusing that organiser of applying for the wrong visa on purpose to generate buzz and also not actually inviting peter molyneux or something

Yeah, if she was getting paid to speak she can’t do an ETA or visitor visa.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m the women who believe in anti-feminism because it will help me get dates with men who look up to and idolize Kid Rock and Fred Durst

The Hulu adaptation of Handmaid's Tale is turning into absolute schlock, but I do love how one of the antagonists is basically one of those interchangeable Coulter/Kelly/Loomer type CHUD Barbies who got her way and has to face some of the buyer's remorse of actually going back to the "good ol' days."

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 18:34 on Jul 9, 2018

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Owlbear Camus posted:

The Hulu adaptation of Handmaid's Tale is turning into absolute schlock, but I do love how one of the antagonists is basically one of those interchangeable Coulter/Kelly/Loomer type CHUD Barbies who got her way and has to face some of the buyer's remorse of actually going back to the "good ol' days."

She's fun to watch but if they insist on showing Serena Joy's backstory they should at least do it for Aunt Lydia too. Ann Dowd is awesome.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
I'd honestly love the opportunity to crush VR glasses while screaming about some dude's Penis Level.

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds

Fantastic Flyer posted:

I'd honestly love the opportunity to crush VR glasses while screaming about some dude's Penis Level.

It's over nine inchessssss!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
At some point, the impotent rage and wild delusions of incels will create an alternate universe where their bullshit is true.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Black Mirror has done a few episodes where augmented reality leaves people pidgeon holed, passed over, and oppressed that have a scary sort of plausibility in a world of Sesame Credit and Influencers and stuff.

Leave it to these guys to make the genital envy version of that.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Face
Mounted
Penis
Sonar

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK
I know it's from a few pages ago, but the Nazi from NG was known about for months before they fired him yesterday:

quote:

Northrop was alerted to Miselis’ involvement in the white supremacist group at least as early as mid-May when the firm was contacted by ProPublica and FRONTLINE journalists seeking comment.

On another note:

http://dissonancepod.com/

Great episode on brexiters totally owning themselves, Paul Joseph Watson joining UKIP as everyone leaves it with the best joke about him ever:

quote:

It's just the norm for Paul Joseph Watson to show up to a party and everyone walks out.

...and them totally ripping shithead Count Dankula who's a total nazi (but ironically guys!). Definitely worth the hour listen.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/Ishfery/status/1015781084984893440

hm, yes, having the shorter subject stand on something to set up a visually balanced 2-shot for television is ~toxic masculinity~

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

hm, yes, having the shorter subject stand on something to set up a visually balanced 2-shot for television is ~toxic masculinity~

manlet spotted

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Owlbear Camus posted:

why can't he just get a nice set of heels like the lady interviewing him?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Nah I have just worked in TV enough I immediately keyed into how silly this is. Half of being a floor director or doing a location interview is adjusting chairs, finding people books to sit on, etc.

Son of Man posted:

why can't he just get a nice set of heels like the lady interviewing him?

I don't think you can get cleated heels, but man that would be awesome as heck if you could.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Nah I have just worked in TV enough I immediately keyed into how silly this is. Half of being a floor director or doing a location interview is adjusting chairs, finding people books to sit on, etc.

I don't think you can get cleated heels, but man that would be awesome as heck if you could.
is it somehow a requirement that the one on the left be a head and a half above the one on the right?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Owlbear Camus posted:

Without the bucket he would be shorter than her by about the amount he now is taller, why wasn't that balanced? :crossarms:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Nessus posted:

is it somehow a requirement that the one on the left be a head and a half above the one on the right?

He's slightly taller on the bucket but would be significantly shorter off it. I guess they should have found a bucket about 4-6 inches shorter for it to be spot-on. The Bucket Grip clearly didn't bring the full toolkit.

E: oh no this is going to devolve into someone counting the pixels in the bucket and using trigonometry to impute relative heights i'm so sorry thread

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
have some fun news items instead:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Owlbear Camus posted:

Fragile, not toxic. Read.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I hadn't heard this one yet.

I can totally picture him sobbing into a pillow over it, lol.

Somfin posted:

Fragile, not toxic. Read.

If I actually had reading comprehension I would put it to better use than posting on the the something awful dot com forums.

https://twitter.com/PeterSweden7/status/1016343733128790016

https://lifestyle.clickhole.com/heartbreaking-the-worst-person-you-know-just-made-a-gr-1825121606

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 21:48 on Jul 9, 2018

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Owlbear Camus posted:

He's slightly taller on the bucket but would be significantly shorter off it. I guess they should have found a bucket about 4-6 inches shorter for it to be spot-on. The Bucket Grip clearly didn't bring the full toolkit.

E: oh no this is going to devolve into someone counting the pixels in the bucket and using trigonometry to impute relative heights i'm so sorry thread

.... And? :shrug:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Owlbear Camus confirmed posting from sitting atop a bucket

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

If I actually had reading comprehension I would put it to better use than posting on the the something awful dot com forums.

You should go with that feeling

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

She's fun to watch but if they insist on showing Serena Joy's backstory they should at least do it for Aunt Lydia too. Ann Dowd is awesome.

What the foick is a foid?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I'm going to melt down spectacularly if I am made to start :spergin: how a hat is not a consideration for head room and bad use of negative space in shot composition so I will concede that the baseball man is bad, and that I too am bad and also so short It's a Benjamin Buttons kind of scenario where i struggle heroically jumping from key to key to post and we can go back to laffin at Nazis. Namaste.

Say Nothing posted:

What the foick is a foid?

"Feminoid." Incels can't ever just say "woman."

Owlbear Camus has issued a correction as of 22:08 on Jul 9, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I can totally picture him sobbing into a pillow over it, lol.

Mitch McConnell doesn't use a pillow. When he wants to sleep he just pulls his head back into his shell, keeping it safe from predators.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

ekuNNN posted:

White Nationalist Kyle "Based Stickman" Chapman Arrested for Felony Assault with a Deadly Weapon

Sounds like kyle might finally go to prison for a long while this time (i'm pretty sure he was on parole for earlier assaults), for picking a bar fight and fracturing someones skull with a bar stool.

We'll see. Justice system has a way of letting these guys off with slaps on the wrist.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Niwrad posted:

We'll see. Justice system has a way of letting these guys off with slaps on the wrist.

Isn't there a rumor that he's a fed plant?

I can see him skating on this actually bad-jacketing him with the accusation even more strongly and driving a wedge between him and some of his fellow goons.

At least... I'd like to believe that there are still SOME kind of consequences in Hellworld.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/JoeScibelli/status/1016083127469404160

It's almost like this is a running gag because he's short or something.

Lliam
Oct 22, 2008

by Hand Knit

(and can't post for 8 years!)

Bye Netflix! Ending your DNA line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w955V6ULd4&t=285s

Altair Knight
Jun 1, 2006

SEE 'YA! WOULDN'T WANT TO BE 'YA!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Owlbear Camus posted:

I dunno wouldn't the height difference be about the same just reversed minus the bucket?

You fool Peter Sweden just realizes that he is so wrong about everything the fundament of the universe bends away from what he thinks.

A cunning ploy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

ekuNNN posted:

You mean all this time he was lying and is actually Stool Man? Shocking.