Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

:yeshaha::yeshaha::yeshaha::yeshaha::yeshaha::yeshaha::yeshaha::yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

I strongly suspect there is no best way to do brexit, but there seem to be a lot of worst ways, and each new one seems worse than the one before

there actually is a best way, but the rich will never ever let that happen since it means cutting them out of power

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/journodave/status/1016343903895728130

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Is there any chance the Irish unionists would get mad at a change of PM and stop coalitioning with them?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

prefect posted:

https://twitter.com/HayesBrown/status/1016333723107844096

(I really shouldn't be posting so much in the UK thread. I feel like a trespasser.)

but he didn't miss entirely??

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

but he didn't miss entirely??

why would he

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

prefect posted:

Is there any chance the Irish unionists would get mad at a change of PM and stop coalitioning with them?

everyone smells blood in the water now so who knows

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

prefect posted:

Jacob-Rees Mogg unironically, because he's a papist.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Yinlock posted:

everyone smells blood in the water now so who knows

Rees-Mogg as PM (a "staunch" Catholic) being propped up by the uber-Protestant DUP would be :discourse:

Edit: Beaten like BoJo to resigning.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/alexpartridge87/status/1016360819414765568

lol

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

School Nickname posted:

Lol

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

School Nickname posted:

keep in mind they worked with famous taig Tony Blair in the past, and also spent literal years in coalition with Sinn Fein, aka Sinn Fein Off Of The IRA.

They don't mind who's in charge so long as they're getting their bread buttered.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Being a British ex-pat allows me to enjoy this political theater rather than dread my life imploding in 8 months. Go Mong.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so what does this mean for Corbyn

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

these shadowrun illustrations get sillier every edition

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

so what does this mean for Corbyn
gently caress all

his party's still divided and although he's trying to rip the piss out of tess may for trying to deliver Brexit in the face of a possible leadership challege, it's not really that long since he had so little parliamentary support for himself that he had to have the NEC put out a resolution saying he could defend his position regardless.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
It's a bit different though. The Labour split wasn't actually about policy it was about factional control. The tory split is about policy.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also it sort of demonstrated that the only way to disarm such a challenge is to have the support of the membership behind you - something may lacks woefully. and hypocrisy goes both ways - if it's hypocritical for corbyn to call for her to resign it's equally hypocritical for everyone who demanded his resignation to deny it - notably including one former home secretary t. may.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Vitamin P posted:

It's a bit different though. The Labour split wasn't actually about policy it was about factional control. The tory split is about policy.

yea I could be proven wrong (hellworld baby) but it feels like Labour is in a position where most of their splits will at least patch over long enough to reach a majority to take control of this hilarious own goal the right are doing. Most of their splits seem to be mainly 'but we TOLD YOU this weird old guy was too much of a dirty communist lover to be popular!!!!' while tories are genuinely having major ideological rifts get worse by the day.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
lol are they gonna have another snap election

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

anime was right posted:

the conservatives will do anything in their power to prevent it, even if it means no deal brexit - there's a very vocal minority in the tory party who are agitating for exactly that.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

It was about policy (because the anti-Corbyn wing was not happy about how meek his support of Remain was) and factional control, and so is the Tory party. Tory policy is Do Brexit. There are factional variations within that. Psycho Bastard Wing is trying to go for a Nostalgic Brexit And Trade With The US while Shy Remainer Tory Wing is telling them to go whistle, in the words of Bojo.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

anime was right posted:

I imagine they will try to put that off until at least October when the uni kids go back

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

jBrereton posted:

It was about policy (because the anti-Corbyn wing was not happy about how meek his support of Remain was) and factional control, and so is the Tory party. Tory policy is Do Brexit. There are factional variations within that. Psycho Bastard Wing is trying to go for a Nostalgic Brexit And Trade With The US while Shy Remainer Tory Wing is telling them to go whistle, in the words of Bojo.

I read that the US is hungry for the UK to come begging for a trade deal. They're going to gently caress the Brits over as much as they possibly can.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

I read that the US is hungry for the UK to come begging for a trade deal. They're going to gently caress the Brits over as much as they possibly can.
Obviously.

The Disgraced Former Defence Secretary Dr Liam Fox MP wants that because he will sell the country out for $$$s for himself as trade sec, like when he invited his heterosexual life partner business friend to all the MoD meetings to take notes.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

jBrereton posted:

It was about policy (because the anti-Corbyn wing was not happy about how meek his support of Remain was)

loving lmao

yeah i'm sure all the exact same people who spent the entire first leadership contest loudly screaming how corbyn would be disastrous for the party and suddenly got all misty eyed about syrian intervention because it was a stick to beat corbyn and collectively have suddenly gained deeply held convictions against whatever corbyn supported definitely, definitely cared about this for policy reasons.

i'm sure chuka "what's my brexit position today again" umunna is definitely there for deep seated ideological reasons

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1016389527324233730

:yeshaha:

Seriously I just keep laughing, this has broken me, hail satan

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WampaLord posted:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1016389527324233730

:yeshaha:

Seriously I just keep laughing, this has broken me, hail satan

What's a PPS?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

CoolCab posted:

loving lmao

yeah i'm sure all the exact same people who spent the entire first leadership contest loudly screaming how corbyn would be disastrous for the party and suddenly got all misty eyed about syrian intervention because it was a stick to beat corbyn and collectively have suddenly gained deeply held convictions against whatever corbyn supported definitely, definitely cared about this for policy reasons.

i'm sure chuka "what's my brexit position today again" umunna is definitely there for deep seated ideological reasons
to be fair what even is Labour's brexit position today

John Mann appearing on the BBC News to undermine Keir Starmer's murmurings about a second referendum suggests there is some thought going into it

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

prefect posted:

What's a PPS?

gently caress if I know, but having this many members of a government resign in one day sure is a hell of a thing.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

What's a PPS?
If you know about "fagging" in Eton, it's more or less that, politically.

He writes Grayling's letters and so on in the hopes that one day, he will be the guy telling a guy to write his letters.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

prefect posted:

What's a PPS?

ask putin

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

CoolCab posted:

also it sort of demonstrated that the only way to disarm such a challenge is to have the support of the membership behind you - something may lacks woefully. and hypocrisy goes both ways - if it's hypocritical for corbyn to call for her to resign it's equally hypocritical for everyone who demanded his resignation to deny it - notably including one former home secretary t. may.

lol if you think any of those cunts care about hypocrisy

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVbC0jASJYA&t=355s

"We want a red, white, and blue Brexit" still blows my mind

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

lol if you think any of those cunts care about hypocrisy

well i mean yes obviously but pretending that corbyn is obligated to pretend it matters and everyone else doesn't have to is silly

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/theoharrisonUK/status/1016394008661254146

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

lmao what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
holy poo poo at least theres a country as absolutely loving stupid as the united states