Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1016316416935497733

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Hello, I bought FFXV, please tell me the sky will stop making GBS threads mechanical men on me extremely soon because it is making going anywhere extremely tiresome. Can't even stop for 20s without more arriving. What's even worse is that for some reason I became extremely over-leveled for my equipment because I killed a tiny cactus man and lots of other things at like level 7 and got like 10,000 experience in one encounter and went up 10 levels.

Every hunt I attempt has like 12 shooty robots fall on me when I'm in the middle of a battle, and if I don't kill them immediately they shred my bros because they keep level parity with me and do muchos damagos if ignored. I just started Chapter 3.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why don't people ever just ignore the magitek suits? Either that or kill them all with magic.That's literally what I did and they were never ever an issue. I don't understand. You can run away from them and go around super easily.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gologle posted:

Why don't people ever just ignore the magitek suits? Either that or kill them all with magic.That's literally what I did and they were never ever an issue. I don't understand. You can run away from them and go around super easily.

Because Magic is a resource in this game people are afraid to use it because "what if I need it later."

Meanwhile I just ran around blowing up random poo poo constantly. Pack of dogs ten levels below me? Triplecast Blizzaga should take care of it.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Those guys will harass you across the entire open world. Like Gologle said, you can own them all at once with even a cheap magic spell, or walk away from them, but you should just kinda expect them to show up during every hunt or fight that takes more than a minute or two.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

aegof posted:

Those guys will harass you across the entire open world. Like Gologle said, you can own them all at once with even a cheap magic spell, or walk away from them, but you should just kinda expect them to show up during every hunt or fight that takes more than a minute or two.

So they don't ever go away? Or not soon at all? Pretty baffling game design if so. Oh well. Guess I will chunk them with some magic, but it sucks if you just want to vaguely chillax for 10 seconds in the open world without BATTLE MUSIC WATCH OUT ENEMIES FROM THE SKIES GOTTA KEEP SPRINTING NEVER STOP

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
The best is when you're in the car and it comes to a complete stop and kicks everyone else out because a magitek ship was flying somewhere vaguely kinda (but not really) close to you.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Jeza posted:

So they don't ever go away? Or not soon at all? Pretty baffling game design if so. Oh well. Guess I will chunk them with some magic, but it sucks if you just want to vaguely chillax for 10 seconds in the open world without BATTLE MUSIC WATCH OUT ENEMIES FROM THE SKIES GOTTA KEEP SPRINTING NEVER STOP

Well to be fair their aggro radius is really small. Most of the time you have jogged out of the battle area before they even a chance

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I thought the monsters that appear on the road when you try to drive at night were a lot more annoying

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
The magitek guys are mostly just obnoxious but it does get tiresome of half the hunts in the middle of the game going from some pack of boss monsters to a pack of boss monsters plus two dozen magitek goons because holy gently caress go bug somebody else guys really. I’m pretty sure the population of a small town has died in vain to burning explosions because they decided to air drop onto an already agitated prince in the middle of mortal combat with some toothy fiend.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I thought it would have been really interesting if the Magitek soldiers fought with the monsters too because they are loving feral usually.

But no, a platoon of dudes just drops in and forms an immediate deadly alliance with this pack of electric tigers

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

MechaX posted:

a platoon of dudes just drops in and forms an immediate deadly alliance with this pack of electric tigers

final_fantasy.txt

Chaeden
Sep 10, 2012
I feel like I recall them being able to hit each other but yeah. Magitek soldiers are kinda one track mind. They get a good deal worse later as well. gently caress trying to fight the 'assassins' they send at you late game normally. But yeah they only rarely interrupted me. They tend to drop a distance away(not always but tend to) and then slowly meander over to you. If they decide to at all. I fairly frequently had Prompto going 'ABOVE US' and I'd spin in a circle and not even see the ship that was supposedly coming for me. A brisk walking pace is the easiest defense against them. If you are in the car though.......good luck. It's not always easy to convince the car that you should still be driving away from the ineffective green men.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

MechaX posted:

I thought it would have been really interesting if the Magitek soldiers fought with the monsters too because they are loving feral usually.

But no, a platoon of dudes just drops in and forms an immediate deadly alliance with this pack of electric tigers

My thoughts EXACTLY. I’m playing for the first time, and just finished chapter 2. I was hunting a flan for the diner dude in Hammerhead so I whomp the flan just as an Iron Giant starts climbing out of a puddle of black goo. I was all set to run away, cuz nem giants are bad news bears when a transport hovers over and spits out fifteen magitek axe goons.

I stuck around waiting to see if they’d fight each other but noooooo, they only had eyes for me and my mariachi outfit.

Also, the heartbreaking emotional heft of all the chapter two and three cutscenes is completely and hilariously negated by said mariachi outfit. It’s transcendent.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
actually i guess haste was ok in ff9 too because you could queue actions sooner, because your wait mule's atb would fill up faster as well

now that i think about it, haste is probably more powerful in that game IF you have it on three characters, but not all four

as for m-teks not fighting monsters in ff15, it's because they're also daemons. also people have foul memories of the MT assassins because they're one of the monsters that counters warp strike but they're regular enemies if you just never use it. and almost all their attacks trigger counters if you're fighting defensively. but i guess most players just want to mash one button

Saint Freak posted:

The best is when you're in the car and it comes to a complete stop and kicks everyone else out because a magitek ship was flying somewhere vaguely kinda (but not really) close to you.

solution: drive the type-R and gta those fuckers

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jul 9, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I wish I timed the last time I beat Ruby Weapon as I must have got incredibly lucky. Used w-item dazer + potion to trigger lucky 7 (it will counter your first lucky 7 attack if not paralyzed), then final attack + Phoenix, then chainspam knights of the round like 3 times and it was dead. Felt like it only took 5 minutes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jeza posted:

You should be able to run away from them every time, it's what I've been doing.

Otherwise yeah just nuke them with a Tricast/Stopcast Blizzaga because magic is really, really not a limited resource

edit: also get out of chapter 3 ASAP. ignore sidequests unless they're on your way from point A to B. the game is super amazingly hella fun but if you get bogged down in sidequest hell in chapter 3 you'll get burnt out like I did when I first tried to play it.

I'm in chapter 5 now and loving it. I've actually been in dungeons and fought big monsters!

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Is it weird that I find magic hard to use in XV? I can never get it to hit where I want.

I’m bad at video games.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Is it weird that I find magic hard to use in XV? I can never get it to hit where I want.

I’m bad at video games.

pro tip! don't throw it like a grenade in cod or uncharted, just get fairly close to your autoselect target and press the attack button. noct throws it perfectly centered on the enemy, and he does a special animation where he looks like he doesn't give a gently caress as he chucks it over his shoulder and casually walks away from a massive pyroclasm

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm a dummo who hoards magic in FFXV needlessly. I wish it didn't do friendly fire, because I'd happily assign it to my teammates and let them waste my spells for me, but I don't trust them not to kill me.

I played the game at launch though; if they patched in an option or something where you can turn FF off, I don't know about it

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
there's a paid DLC accessory that makes your party immune to magic friendly fire, but it's also free on windows

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
It doesn't really matter if magic is good or bad when even equipping it involves fiddling with an annoying menu screen. gently caress FFXV magic.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The White Dragon posted:

there's a paid DLC accessory that makes your party immune to magic friendly fire, but it's also free on windows

Also it doesn't really matter if it hits your own dudes anyway as long as you've been eating meals that give you +1000 HP

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It doesn't really matter if magic is good or bad when even equipping it involves fiddling with an annoying menu screen. gently caress FFXV magic.

The FF15 menu screens are pretty far from fiddly and annoying to me. :shrug:

Actual question! When Noct equips the Royal Arms (or any weapon really) does he get the stat bonuses/penalties even when not using that weapon? Specifically the Axe that makes you have like zero defense. Will he have zero defense even when not using it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yes, the royal arms are actually fairly notorious for people only equipping them for their boosts and never using them in battle

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It doesn't really matter if magic is good or bad when even equipping it involves fiddling with an annoying menu screen. gently caress FFVIII magic.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
PSA TIME

do all of Cid's Drain Lance quests as soon as you can. you'll probably have all the components without knowing it by the time it unlocks, but the game is never really clear about whether or not you have them.

if you don't do the A Better Drain Lance chain, you will never be offered the chance to upgrade your other weapons.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Some of the Royal Arms are legit good weapons in their own right, though. You should be able to tell immediately when you get them just based on the movesets.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gologle posted:

Some of the Royal Arms are legit good weapons in their own right, though. You should be able to tell immediately when you get them just based on the movesets.

The third one you get, the Glaive(?) is really good.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm a dummo who hoards magic in FFXV needlessly. I wish it didn't do friendly fire, because I'd happily assign it to my teammates and let them waste my spells for me, but I don't trust them not to kill me.

I played the game at launch though; if they patched in an option or something where you can turn FF off, I don't know about it

If I remember right the friendly fire is minimal but everyone overacts like it's the worst thing ever and they'll die if you do it again.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Bruceski posted:

If I remember right the friendly fire is minimal but everyone overacts like it's the worst thing ever and they'll die if you do it again.

I get irrationally irritated when I pull out a weapon and Gladio yells at me. Bitch, this sword is gonna save your slow rear end!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bruceski posted:

Probably. I paid more attention to the yelling than the actual numbers.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ainsley McTree posted:

understandable.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ainsley McTree posted:

if you play with the hud off, all you hear is the yelling

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Ignis spent large portions of my game on fire and it never seemed to bother him much

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Red Red Blue posted:

Ignis spent large portions of my game on fire and it never seemed to bother him much

out of sight out of mind probably

That's a chapter...eight?...spoiler for those of you that just started playing

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its like a few dozen hp, and your bros are effectively immortal anyway. Just toss that quint cast blizzaga

Edit: Chocobos dont stop for MT soldiers or random road monsters. Just use that to avoid all monsters forever while exploring.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 10, 2018

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
You can also equip that item that makes magic not affect the boys. I forget what it's called, but it was nice to not have to worry about whether or not I'd hit them.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLwql4aps-o

Gladio takes like 20 damage, what a drama queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I would've experimented with the royal arms a lot more if they didn't drain your HP. Late in the game they didn't even seem sufficiently better than the unique normal weapons that it'd be worth dealing with that drawback.

I eventually stuck to just using the best sword or dagger I had 100% of the time, the ring, and two of the RAs for bonus stats.