Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it doesn't belong in this thread

but it fuckin belongs in this thread

https://unbound.com/books/horse-destroys-the-universe/

yeah, that guy who had that cow video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Poor horse, thought of truck equity and died.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

bob dobbs is dead posted:

it doesn't belong in this thread

but it fuckin belongs in this thread

https://unbound.com/books/horse-destroys-the-universe/

yeah, that guy who had that cow video

On the one hand, I'm perversely curious what a Cyriak book would look like.

On the other hand, I'm not sure I want to pay money for the chance to see what a Cyriak book would look like.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

If you blend with other vineyards then you won't be able to call your $100 wine "estate bottled" and all the fancy folks from san francisco will turn up their noses.

True true, but there is a lot of other "high end" going on past estate. I've introduced more than one of them to fairly inexpensive Bordeauxs that they were raving over and had to explain: the meritage poo poo your drinking at $85/bottle, it's good but they're trying to emulate this. This is the real thing and these special releases from Dry Creek and Wente cost more. That's dumb.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Good wine is indistinguishable from melted Popsicles

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Strawberries are relatively cheap because they're grown domestically and harvested with cheap labor. Get rid of that cheap labor and they'll be more expensive

They'll be marginally more expensive. Labor cost of harvesting them is an almost insignificant portion of the price of strawberries at the grocery store. You could double the labor input and the price wouldn't go up much::

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/people-and-culture/food/the-plate/2016/03/31/can-we-afford-to-pay-u-s-farmworkers-more/

quote:

At no point will strawberries ever be picked by expensive labor.

At some point it becomes worthwhile to invent a strawberry-picking machine.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Good wine is indistinguishable from melted Popsicles

Where do you get your hard popsicles from? Asking for a friend

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Freeze good wine

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

Where do you get your hard popsicles from? Asking for a friend

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/bestofnextdoor/status/1016384075593080832?s=21

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Motronic posted:

True true, but there is a lot of other "high end" going on past estate. I've introduced more than one of them to fairly inexpensive Bordeauxs that they were raving over and had to explain: the meritage poo poo your drinking at $85/bottle, it's good but they're trying to emulate this. This is the real thing and these special releases from Dry Creek and Wente cost more. That's dumb.

Can you hit me with some inexpensive and obtainable Bordeaux wines so I can give them out to my bwm/bww wine friends and look like a genius?

(I accept my derail badge of shame in advance and will make it up by grabbing something spicy from reddit later.)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

$25 strawberries will never happen because you can just grow your own strawberries lmao

Uber for strawberry picking.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There are a lot of pick-your-own strawberries farms that I assume would still be viable in the event of a strawberry labor collapse.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Also, child labor is an option.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Vox Nihili posted:

Can you hit me with some inexpensive and obtainable Bordeaux wines so I can give them out to my bwm/bww wine friends and look like a genius?

(I accept my derail badge of shame in advance and will make it up by grabbing something spicy from reddit later.)

Here are two that should be reasonable available in the US:

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/dalem+de+la+huste+fronsac+bordeaux+france/2009

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/chateau+malartic-lagraviere/2015

And don't forget Burgundys.

If you just want to try something new that has a REALLY good chance of being both excellent and inexpensive:

https://www.wine.com/list/wine/bordeaux/7155-107078?pricemax=50&ratingmin=97

Set you filters to "Wine Spectator 97+" and price under 50 - or lower. They may not have the panache of the labels people are accustomed to seeing, but they are largely all very solid. The labels that people are used to are good almost every year - lots of these aren't as consistent and you'll see that in their ratings from year to year. Grab the good years as a discount and enjoy.

- END WINE DERAIL -

Sorry.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
My mom just informed me she's paying $100 a month to a company for a car that was repossessed back in 2010?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8xdj1q/my_mom_just_informed_me_shes_paying_100_a_month/

quote:

She mentioned it to me this morning and said that she doesn't remember who's taking the money out, but she said right after it got taken away she got a phone call from some place saying she would go to jail if she didn't pay so apparently she been paying a$100 a month for 8 years. This sounds so fishy and was wondering has anybody heard of something like this before?

Sitting at about $35k in debt and unsure where to go.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8xbftl/sitting_at_about_35k_in_debt_and_unsure_where_to/

quote:

Hey PF, lurked for a bit. Thought it was time to make a post and hopefully get some help.
My wife and I both have stable, but not luxurious jobs. Between the two of us we take home around 80-90k annually. Over a year ago, our CC debt was starting to stack up. The value of our house had recently skyrocketed so we refi'd with cash out, enough to pay off all our cards and also give our kitchen a desperately needed remodel. All was well. However, over the course of that remodel throughout the last 18 months, our debt has returned. It's due to a number of issues, some not avoidable (had to pay 4k for a new AC unit) however mostly due to my poor spending habits. I have recently started realizing all of the stupid things we (I) spent money on and have made an effort to change, but we still have two cards currently, one sitting at 18k and one at 16k in debt. We have a mortgage ($1300), two car payments ($750), and basic utilities. Where and how should I start to climb out of this hole? My stress has increased drastically lately because I realize our refi was my "get out of debt 'free'" card and I blew it.
Hopefully this is the right sub for this.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 9, 2018

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

This twitter account is a serious pro-click

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I always love the passive voice in these, as if ~things~ just happen.

quote:

Over a year ago, our CC debt was starting to stack up.

quote:

All was well. However, over the course of that remodel throughout the last 18 months, our debt has returned.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Our debt was last seen rolling in on a cold front yesterday, with scattered collections heading in from the east. By the end of the week, we should see a few vacations popping up following a brief bout of auto repossessions. If you have plans for next week, make sure to bring a credit card. Over to Chip with sports.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

How To Lower My Lease Payment
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8xfglp/how_to_lower_my_lease_payment/

quote:

Long story short. I bought a 2013 Ford Focus at the end of 2012 and it ended up being an actual lemon. Ford offered to give me a new, slightly discounted car but I still couldn't afford the payment with the amount they were offering as a trade in. I ended up having to roll my loan into a lease with Honda and went over the miles and got a new lease in January. Currently i'm driving a 2018 Honda Civic and paying almost $700 a month just for my car payment. I could really use some advice on how to get out of this situation. Paying this amount every month has become a HUGE burden.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

Uber for strawberry picking.

Tinder, but swipe right to 'match' with an employwait somebody's probably already thought of this, spent my entire lifetime earnings on ping-pong tables and gym balls, and folded due to sexual harassment lawsuits

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Higgy posted:

I always love the passive voice in these, as if ~things~ just happen.

dude elides 1300/mo in restaurants, the first budget he gives

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Sweet mother of god.

Can I get a horse with that?

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

Sweet mother of god.

Yes, but the horse is delivered via trailer towed by a Dodge Ram 1500. Surely you can lease such a vehicle.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

SiGmA_X posted:

Sweet mother of god.

I almost feel bad when every reply is just, 'you're hosed dude'

almost.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Do some people just not realize used cars exist?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Fitzy Fitz posted:

They don't if no one buys them new!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Some people are excessively terrified of the risks of used cars.

That's not to say they don't exist, but they're fairly simple to avoid if you do some research first.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think you guys are missing that the Civic is leased. Not even paying a full car payment on it.

Must’ve been one heck of a Focus.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
$700/m for a Honda Civic....lease.

Who wants to bet that in addition to the negative equity that was rolled in there's an extended warranty, tire protection package, key replacement service and more in that?

I bang my head at the drop dead stupidity of it all, and the financial market that has figured out how to make a profit off it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Haifisch posted:

Some people are excessively terrified of the risks of used cars.

That's not to say they don't exist, but they're fairly simple to avoid if you do some research first.

I own a 2002 Subaru Forester and a 2004 Honda Element, both are good reliable vehicles, but I've had an annoying string of repairs lately. Most of which are just due to the age / mileage of the vehicle, but I can see how you can easily just say gently caress it and decide you 'deserve' a reliable new car.

I think lots of times people get frustrated with their old cars, and are pretty impulsive when they decide to buy a new car.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

quote:

It's not that I can't afford the payment, it's just becoming a burden.
:downs:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Also a lot of dumb dumbs conflate maintenance with repairs.

Why yes, your 2006 Toyota Corolla with 120k miles does need new tires and brakes. No, it does not mean the car is on its last legs.

Older cars do need more maintenance (and repairs), which is a minor annoyance, but it should mostly be something you can plan on and not get stranded on the side of the road by (unless you ignore it long enough). Pumping some maintenance dollars into an otherwise good older car is WAY cheaper than a new car. Even the occasional repair should be relatively cheap unless you've got an old Chrysler or something crapping out a transmission every six months.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 9, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Guinness posted:

Also a lot of dumb dumbs conflate maintenance with repairs.

I just responded to a /r/PF post with exactly that going on. I don't touch the poop in posts I find or post here, so since I'm in it I won't link it here.

But the person was complaining about "maintenance costs" and it turns out they included tires and plugs/wires. Sorry bud, those are not repairs. Same person was complaining about rotted out AC lines and a seized caliper while suggesting a lease fixes all of this.......again, sorry bud, you can't return the car with a seized caliper running like poo poo. You'll get charged dealer rates and then some to make it right when you turn it in.

This poo poo is spelled out in the lease, down to remain required tire tread depth.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

When some companies like Volvo and BMW are starting to roll out crazy expensive "subscription" all-inclusive car services, at first I was like "who the hell would pay $700+/mo for this", but then if you think about the average car owner/lessee and the average financial savvy, it makes total sense.

Though I'm sure even those services, despite "including maintenance", have punitive clauses for outright neglect.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Who DOESN'T have that tinge of "Why would I pay [blue book value] in repairs when it's just gonna need 'em again some day!!" every time their old lovely car needs another piece replaced?

But yes yes yes, a $2,000 repair bill is cheaper than a $20,000 car

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Why do I go to the dentist when I'm just going to get my teeth dirty again right after???

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/228451/world-record-priced-colt-the-green-monkey-euthanized

quote:

The Green Monkey, who'll forever be etched in Thoroughbred history for his world-record $16 million price tag as a 2-year-old, was euthanized at Hartley/DeRenzo Thoroughbreds in May due to laminitis, according to Randy Hartley.

Trained by Todd Pletcher, The Green Monkey was unable to live up to expectations on the track, with an injury-plagued career in which he finished third once in three starts and was eventually retired with earnings of $10,440.

That's like the Robinzon Diaz of horses or something.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

SiGmA_X posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8x5htm/not_sure_where_my_money_is_going_help/
Not sure where my money is going, help?
He doesn't track his other spending outside of his recurring bills, and an arbitrary amount for groceries, so but he needs help figuring out how to manage with $3k/mo of missing cash.

Just loving use Mint or something, easy, free, see it all!

lol another one calling the power bill "lights". Me caveman me not know how magic lets me see at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Guinness posted:

Why do I go to the dentist when I'm just going to get my teeth dirty again right after???

I agree it's dumb but it's viewed more like "why brush my rotten teeth when I can buy new, better teeth soon?"