Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Yeah, yer right. let's just turn voting into an episode of america's got talent. Probably restrict voting to those with honorary degrees bestowed on them by prestigious universities IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

loquacius posted:

can someone name me a compelling tale with no genuine conflict

Catcher in the Rye didn't have genuine conflict but even its most die-hard proponents would probably classify it more as a character study than an archetypal "tale" and also it's not compelling

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I'm going to laugh at least as much as FoxNews will if this develops into a racial schism in the Democratic party.

people in my neighborhood who don't know that congress is two houses and not just One Thing know chuck schumer's name, know how he folded on immigration, and spit on the ground when hearing his name.

so if anyone can pull that scenario off, its Chuck the Succ

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

capitalism is the cause of your problems not old people lol

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

speaking of olds:

A record number of folks age 85 and older are working. Here’s what they’re doing.

quote:

Nobody questions whether older workers can make a difference. After all, some of America’s most prominent workers are around 85. The oldest Supreme Court justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, is 85. Rupert Murdoch is 87. So are George Soros, Warren Buffett and Toni Morrison.

lol

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Winston was in pretty clear conflict with the government of Oceania through most of it though

Brave New World is a little fuzzier though

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

holy lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the book with an evil dictator character whose name has universally become a shorthand for evil dictators whose men police even your thoughts has no villains

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

the book with an evil dictator character whose name has universally become a shorthand for evil dictators whose men police even your thoughts has no villains

I have never heard anyone accuse 1984 of being subtle or nuanced in any way, no

It's pretty in-your-face w/r/t its morality

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ginsburg and morrison sure but by what definition are soros and buffet "workers"

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

loquacius posted:

I have never heard anyone accuse 1984 of being subtle or nuanced in any way, no

It's pretty in-your-face w/r/t its morality

reminder that Walking Dead episode-by-episode "explainer" videos have literally millions of views and that people aren't even visually literate anymore, let alone textually.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

loquacius posted:

Winston was in pretty clear conflict with the government of Oceania through most of it though

And he's in conflict with himself in that short other part(s).

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
peak succ i've learned that the hopeful Democratic challenger for Karen Handel's iron-fisted domination of the UNCONSOLIDATED DATA CENTERS of Georgia's 6th district...

is throwing an event in NYC with hillary "hilldawg" rodham clinton this week

UGHHHHHH :suicide:

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

papa horny michael posted:

Yeah, yer right. let's just turn voting into an episode of america's got talent. Probably restrict voting to those with honorary degrees bestowed on them by prestigious universities IMO

Only if howard Stern gets to be a judge (so he can ask each candidate is they take it in the butt... from special interests)

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
famous proponent of feminism: god

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1016387353861115905

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I'm the guy that's excited about Mark Sanford, Tom Perez and Grouplove.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Wierd he told me I was a pimp

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Gunshow Poophole posted:

peak succ i've learned that the hopeful Democratic challenger for Karen Handel's iron-fisted domination of the UNCONSOLIDATED DATA CENTERS of Georgia's 6th district...

is throwing an event in NYC with hillary "hilldawg" rodham clinton this week

UGHHHHHH :suicide:

makes sense. hillary after all is a longtime proponent of bringing computer servers under close control

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

makes sense. hillary after all is a longtime proponent of bringing computer servers under close control

consolidate her emails

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
*cuomo seeing his second daughter after her birth*

"i almost believe you're worth as much as a man, but i need a little more convincing....."

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Joementum posted:

*cuomo seeing his second daughter after her birth*

"i almost believe you're worth as much as a man, but i need a little more convincing....."

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The son of Mothers. The father of Daughters. The brother of Sisters. The nephew of Aunts. The uncle of Nieces. The well-wisher who just gets a gift certificate at the baby shower because he doesn't really know you that well, honestly.

Not the hero we deserve, but the hero we've got. :911:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

loquacius posted:

Catcher in the Rye didn't have genuine conflict but even its most die-hard proponents would probably classify it more as a character study than an archetypal "tale" and also it's not compelling

catcher in the rye is about the conflict the reader has whether to throw such a trash "novel" against the wall or not

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

catcher in the rye is about the conflict the reader has whether to throw such a trash "novel" against the wall or not

Lol just because you had to read it in high school doesn't mean it sucks.

The only books that really suck are the ones from the era where writers were paid by the word

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
catcher is a fun book to read at 13 and then again mid-life

i think it's worth keeping around just for that experience

Serf
May 5, 2011

great expectations is poo poo

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

ikanreed posted:

Lol just because you had to read it in high school doesn't mean it sucks.

The only books that really suck are the ones from the era where writers were paid by the word

"oh woe is me, holden cauliflower, my middle class parents provide for my every want but the world is just so GODDAMN PHONEY"

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I thought Holden Caulfield was a whiny douche when I was 15 and I doubt I'd feel any different now

or is it like an It's Always Sunny type deal where the point is you know he's an rear end in a top hat

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

loquacius posted:

I thought Holden Caulfield was a whiny douche when I was 15 and I doubt I'd feel any different now

or is it like an It's Always Sunny type deal where the point is you know he's an rear end in a top hat

the last page of catcher should just be in big bold text "EVERY OTHER TEENAGER HAS FELT THIS WAY, YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL BECAUSE YOU THINK THE WORLD SUCKS"

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i only read it when i was a teen and kinda liked it so im not going to read it again

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

loquacius posted:

:same:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
https://twitter.com/NuclearTakes/status/1016348956203372544

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
for the love of god read any book other than YAF

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

remember all those slaves who escaped north in the early 1800s to tell people how good they had it down there

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

"oh woe is me, holden cauliflower, my middle class parents provide for my every want but the world is just so GODDAMN PHONEY"

Yes... The point is selfishness and hypocrisy and how hard learning that you're doing that is. Um. Yes. That annoying character you've described was intended.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Decorum is a disease

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Let's remember that Stein presides over an organization of literal tinfoil hat-wearers, their "party" get-togethers are truly embarrassments. She campaigned on "both sides are the same" when that could not be more obvious horseshit, and had an execrable platform even by third-party standards. We know Putin has his tentacles into fringe figures on the left (Oliver Stone has become his puppet) because they are desperate for their own source of wingnut welfare. We know she's been doing PR for the Kremlin's stance on the Ukraine, for example.

In a world where the fringe left doesn't have its own TV network in order to perpetuate and strengthen itself, the most shameless of them can be bought.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

loquacius posted:

invisible cities

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Shear Modulus posted:

also lol at hillary deciding it would be a great idea to appear at an outdoor public event for several hours in new york in the middle of july. what could go wrong.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mila kunis posted:

Let's remember that Stein presides over an organization of literal tinfoil hat-wearers, their "party" get-togethers are truly embarrassments. She campaigned on "both sides are the same" when that could not be more obvious horseshit, and had an execrable platform even by third-party standards. We know Putin has his tentacles into fringe figures on the left (Oliver Stone has become his puppet) because they are desperate for their own source of wingnut welfare. We know she's been doing PR for the Kremlin's stance on the Ukraine, for example.

In a world where the fringe left doesn't have its own TV network in order to perpetuate and strengthen itself, the most shameless of them can be bought.

your quotes, source them

• Locked thread