Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have big wrists and 42mm looks just a little too small.

But I'm just saying a bigger option would be nice! It's good there's smaller ones for smaller people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm rocking a 42mm but I got a big wrist. Doesn't look big

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

Those AT&T users on grandfathered unlimited plans are the most loyal AT&T customers on the planet and the company treats them like absolute poo poo.

I worked for ATT for almost 3 years.

I assure you, ATT despises, and I really mean, despises, their current customers.

Their whole culture is around new customers, or current customers adding devices. And there should be a good bit on that, but man, they miss the boat on retention.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Scrawny wrists as a dude with a 42mm and it looks/feels great.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I'm constantly knocking mine around on poo poo, so I had to get one of those full body protection wraps. Can't imagine how ungodly huge it would be if I didn't have a 38mm.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The 42mm is pretty big. But that's kind of the standard for watches these days.

I have an old hand cranked watch from 1970 that looks positively tiny compared to my newer timepieces.

Duckman2008 posted:

I worked for ATT for almost 3 years.

I assure you, ATT despises, and I really mean, despises, their current customers.

Their whole culture is around new customers, or current customers adding devices. And there should be a good bit on that, but man, they miss the boat on retention.

As a former AT&T employee as well, I'm sure you know AT&T despises all of it's current employees too and looks wistfully at each new prospective employee who might finally rid them of this deadweight they've grown to hate so...so much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The scary part is that even though literally everyone hates at&t, Comcast still scores worse at every customer service rating out there.

That said at&t does have a decent cell network, coverage is pretty good throughout the us as long as you're in range of an interstate and they seem to have fewer dead spots in urban areas. At least based on purely anecdotal evidence traveling with friends on different networks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

As a former AT&T employee as well, I'm sure you know AT&T despises all of it's current employees too and looks wistfully at each new prospective employee who might finally rid them of this deadweight they've grown to hate so...so much.

Could not have said it better.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

xzzy posted:

The scary part is that even though literally everyone hates at&t, Comcast still scores worse at every customer service rating out there.

That said at&t does have a decent cell network, coverage is pretty good throughout the us as long as you're in range of an interstate and they seem to have fewer dead spots in urban areas. At least based on purely anecdotal evidence traveling with friends on different networks.

As both an ATT and Comcast subscriber, I can vouch for the customer service rating. Comcast is far worse in that regard.

I work for a company that sells ATT phones on the side of its main business, so I get a pretty hefty discount on my cellular service as well as DirectTV Now (even better than the 22% off I got when I managed a hotel with a corporate discount). That being said, ATT’s service has gotten much better in my area. When I originally signed up (when the iPhone was first released), I barely got service out in the sticks where I live, but at the time they gave me a free microcell to keep me happy. Since then, they’ve upgraded or added towers in the area, and now I have full bars pretty much all of the time and haven’t experienced a drop in service in at least 4 or 5 years. Hell, a lot of the time I don’t even connect to my home WiFi because LTE ends up being faster and more reliable (which is crazy because up until a few years ago 3G didn’t even work that well without the microcell). I know this isn’t the case everywhere, and if I didn’t get the discount, I would have changed carriers long ago, but at the moment I’m pretty happy with how things are.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah
My wife actually bought me a band as a gift recently and got the 38 because she thought my watch looked small on my wrist. It's the 42, so they're obviously not that loving big looking. I do wish it was a little thinner tho.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Whoever said restarting their watch periodically as a way to fix bad performance was correct. Thank you goon. Its literal night and day.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Can anyone else running iOS 12 public beta 2 on their phone not update their watch to whatever was released today? I just constantly get the “cannot connect to Apple Watch” error despite rebooting, toggling airplane mode, etc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Can anyone else running iOS 12 public beta 2 on their phone not update their watch to whatever was released today? I just constantly get the “cannot connect to Apple Watch” error despite rebooting, toggling airplane mode, etc.

Can't update either. Apparently removing the Beta profile from your phone, updating the watch and then adding the profile back will fix it.

Or you can also try setting your phone on Airplane mode and updating.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Same issue here

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

empty baggie posted:

As both an ATT and Comcast subscriber, I can vouch for the customer service rating. Comcast is far worse in that regard.

I work for a company that sells ATT phones on the side of its main business, so I get a pretty hefty discount on my cellular service as well as DirectTV Now (even better than the 22% off I got when I managed a hotel with a corporate discount). That being said, ATT’s service has gotten much better in my area. When I originally signed up (when the iPhone was first released), I barely got service out in the sticks where I live, but at the time they gave me a free microcell to keep me happy. Since then, they’ve upgraded or added towers in the area, and now I have full bars pretty much all of the time and haven’t experienced a drop in service in at least 4 or 5 years. Hell, a lot of the time I don’t even connect to my home WiFi because LTE ends up being faster and more reliable (which is crazy because up until a few years ago 3G didn’t even work that well without the microcell). I know this isn’t the case everywhere, and if I didn’t get the discount, I would have changed carriers long ago, but at the moment I’m pretty happy with how things are.

Man I miss my ATT discount. It was by far the best discount that any of the carriers had. I was paying $25 a month for unlimited everything, which if you looked at what they were charging customers you know they were committing highway robbery.

I was lucky as where I was living had one of the main ATT call centers so they got all of the fancy new features and tech almost immediately. And I was traveling regularly so as you said they have by far the best coverage nationwide. Verizon is probably second best, although they have odd blind spots even today. Like I live in Chicago and my old workplace was in one of these blind spots. Like in the middle of Logan Square there is a 2-3 block deadzone. I have ran into a few of these over the years.

I feel bad for the people who have Sprint or TMo and have to travel outside of major metro areas. It just really isn’t possible.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Tmo has been rock solid from NC to Maine for me.

I also love how my phone doesn't get stuck searching for a signal on the ATT towers when the 7 train comes out of the tunnel from Manhattan to Queens on my commute. With Tmo it's an instant 5 bars.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Yeah I ended up performing a factory reset on the watch to get it to work.

hagrd
Aug 25, 2003

buglord posted:

Whoever said restarting their watch periodically as a way to fix bad performance was correct. Thank you goon. Its literal night and day.

Oh yeah. Just did that on mine (s3) after my brother commented on how ...yanky it seemed. Huge difference!

It's a little weird since that's not really something I expect to have to do on any of my other apple devices.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I thought it was a S2 and older issue. That's pretty drat inexcusable if its happening on a S3. Feels weird to janitor my watch more than my phone.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FWIW, I got a response from Apple about the issue with upgrading AW FW from PB2. They said they made a server-side fix and updating watch FW should now be possible. I'm at work, but it looks like I'm not seeing the "cannot connect to AW" error anymore.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I was able to update my watch from my beta-running phone by putting the phone in airplane mode and then turning back on WiFi!

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

FWIW, I got a response from Apple about the issue with upgrading AW FW from PB2. They said they made a server-side fix and updating watch FW should now be possible. I'm at work, but it looks like I'm not seeing the "cannot connect to AW" error anymore.

Cool, thanks for the heads up. Can also confirm I get past that error and see the normal update available page. (Haven’t tried to actually install it yet, either.)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yup it’s letting update now.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Yep, I updated overnight and my watch confirms it’s on 4.3.2 now.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

I've got 4.3.2 and PB2; I'm not showing any names when I get texts. I'm failing at seeing if this is widespread via google. I did unpair and repair and I'm still having the issue so I figure it's just a beta thing.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It’s a beta thing. It’s happening to me too.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Same thing with me. On beta as well. It’s already been mentioned before in this thread but yeah #justbetathings

For clarity it seems this issue applies to non-beta watches, just beta iPhones

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I’ve been wanted an Apple Watch lately, for some strange reason (it suddenly came over me). I’ll be using it every day and for exercising. Is it as mediocre at the latter as DC Rainmaker says (GPS not responding for the first five minutes after you start a run etc)?

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/apple-watch-series3-cellular-fitness-sport-review.html

Are there any must-have features on the horizon with the new models that might show up in the fall?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Not at all. My GPS works instantly when I start a run. Honestly it’s an amazing watch for a fitness tracker. I switched from a Garmin Forerunner to this for it.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Xabi posted:

Are there any must-have features on the horizon with the new models that might show up in the fall?

Most of the rumor mill stuff I've seen is just about form factor (i.e. smaller bezels), not really about any new shocking features.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Xabi posted:

Probably not, but we’re so close to the September/October launch window that you’re better off waiting, in my mind. If you want a Series 4, you’ll be able to get it without having just bought a new watch. If you decide you’re fine with the Series 3, you’ll be able to get it at a steep discount- probably more so if you wait for Black Friday.

A newer model will probably last you at least a year or two longer in terms of running software updates, which is worth the 3-4 months of waiting.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
There's a rumor the new model will have improved heart monitoring sensors. That might be important to you if you want to use it for fitness.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Hey guys. I've had my S2 for a while now and I never used Apple Pay on it cause I honestly don't know how despite using my phone to pay for everything. It also seems less convenient than paying with your phone unless I'm mistaken.

Educate me.

Edit: I'm stupid and all you gotta do is double tap the button like on your phone. My issue is: I only have my credit card showing up and not my loyalty cards from my phone's wallet. iCloud for the Wallet is set "on" on my phone. Dunno what gives?

Housh fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jul 15, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Add cards to Watch Apple Pay in the Watch app
Double click side button to bring up Apple Pay
Swipe to different card if you don't want to use default
Hover over terminal

Truthfully I never use it since it somehow seems way more awkward than using my phone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Add cards to Watch Apple Pay in the Watch app
Double click side button to bring up Apple Pay
Swipe to different card if you don't want to use default
Hover over terminal

Truthfully I never use it since it somehow seems way more awkward than using my phone.

Yeah that. I know it’s there but it just seems weird to use. It feels easier to use my phone.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Yeah. It just doesn't feel natural. I guess when you are waiting in line to pay for something...you already have your phone out trying to kill time.

I'm sure there are fringe uses and it totally makes sense if you are going phoneless with the S3

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Thanks for all the replies!

Matt Zerella posted:

There's a rumor the new model will have improved heart monitoring sensors. That might be important to you if you want to use it for fitness.
Aren’t those wrist sensors pretty poor when you’re actually exercising though? Maybe the new one will solve that but I’ve never before heard about a wrist sensor that can compete with the old ones you wear around the chest.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Xabi posted:

Thanks for all the replies!

Aren’t those wrist sensors pretty poor when you’re actually exercising though? Maybe the new one will solve that but I’ve never before heard about a wrist sensor that can compete with the old ones you wear around the chest.

Poor isn’t the word I’d use but yes it’s not as accurate as a chest strap but it’s actually not that far off. I’ve used both and really the watch did a pretty drat good job for being a wrist sensor.

At this point I just stick to the watch because using the chest strap is too much of a pain in the rear end for not that much better of a result.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah that. I know it’s there but it just seems weird to use. It feels easier to use my phone.
Yeah... it seems cool that it's a thing, but for some reason it just seems easier to use my phone. I'm still a scrub with a home button, but it's really quick/easy to just pull it out of my pocket and double click home as I'm bringing it to the terminal. Watch use isn't like it's that awful, but something about it does just seem slightly clunkier. (Maybe that I need two hands?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
*shrugs* I casually do the Applepay double-tap while the cashier is ringing things up, then just sorta hover my wrist over until it beeps.

Still feels like magic two years in.