Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

Grimdude posted:

Jfc thread.

It's more fun to actually win/feel like you can win games. This is not controversial.

"It's not about winning or losing it's about fun" is the mantra of people who suck. They also tend to enjoy games that are almost entirely chance based so they can win about half the time.

If you or your friends are not competitive then don't play games. Watch a movie with your lame rear end friends, idk.

Jfc

"You guys would like to play some board games? Unfortunately you don't take it seriously enough and Grimdude (a goon from the Something Awful forums) told me that you guys better do something else because he, a total stranger, thinks that you are lame."

Edit: some people don't care about the outcome, so if they have fun playing games with a high component of chance, more power to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Canned Panda posted:

Violent J from ICP is making a YouTube series with his daughter about snake fighting furries or something.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2116186811786336&id=112674268804277

Make sure you read the comments.

violent j is a good and supportive dad

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
There are cooperative board games if your friends and family like to cooperate. There are competitive ones if they like to compete. One should know their people and fit your entertainment to their desires. Namaste.

Catan is garbage though, never play it.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Is Curt Schilling the one that stole tens of millions of dollars from the state of Rhode Island?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Grimdude posted:

Jfc thread.

It's more fun to actually win/feel like you can win games. This is not controversial.

"It's not about winning or losing it's about fun" is the mantra of people who suck. They also tend to enjoy games that are almost entirely chance based so they can win about half the time.

If you or your friends are not competitive then don't play games. Watch a movie with your lame rear end friends, idk.

Random character, random stage, all items.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mak0rz posted:

Not posting a screenshot because there's no way to trim it of too revealing information but my home town's only funeral director just posted news about a heat warning advisory for the region with the caption "Best news ever!" on Facebook.

:rip:

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
The tragedy in all of this is that someone willingly played Settlers of Catan.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
The problem with cooperative games, is that you have a real competitive player, they can tend to try to dominate the game and dictate what other people do, and get mad if another player makes the "wrong" move. I've seen it happen way too many times. Hell, I used to do it before I developed some self awareness about how much of a jackass I was being.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Master Twig posted:

The problem with cooperative games, is that you have a real competitive player, they can tend to try to dominate the game and dictate what other people do, and get mad if another player makes the "wrong" move. I've seen it happen way too many times. Hell, I used to do it before I developed some self awareness about how much of a jackass I was being.

Then there’s me, who once played little big planet with a friend and then just before crossing the finish line grabbed him and dragged us back across one and a half screens just so we could fall in a pit and die.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Master Twig posted:

Seems to me that is not necessarily a problem with the game that you've identified.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Doc Hawkins posted:

Seems to me that is not necessarily a problem with the game that you've identified.

There are coop games that take steps to mitigate the "quarterbacking" problem. It's a common discussion re: games.

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

CommonShore posted:

There are coop games that take steps to mitigate the "quarterbacking" problem. It's a common discussion re: games.

I think that the most common solution is to introduce a hypothetical traitor. In this way nobody feels free to start quarterbacking because they will draw too much attention.

This reminds me of a story involving a friend of mine who sometimes behaves like a jerk. We were playing a dreadfully boring game (Shadows Over Camelot) of this type that he had brought - everybody is trying to do quests cooperatively but there might be a traitor. At some point after 1 hour it was ruled out that anybody of us could be the traitor because everybody had had at least one chance to finish the game with everybody losing. The game dragged for 3-4 hours. Close to the end this guy actually revealed himself to be the traitor and made everybody lose anyway, but he had had lots of fun being the "puppet-master". I don't know how we didn't punch him at that time.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Memento posted:

Is Curt Schilling the one that stole tens of millions of dollars from the state of Rhode Island?

he didnt steal it he used a tax loop hole to get a bunch of money to make a video game that he bought mostly finished and spent almost nothing retooling it to the lore of the mmo he wanted to make. Then he never made that mmo. He is huge into "hardcore" mmo's like everquest. none of that changes the fact that he is human garbage who probably got a tbi during baseball because he willing played hurt all the time

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My ex rage quit Monopoly because I wouldn't just give her the third green property.

Versus my fiancee. About a month after we started dating we played a game that had traitor mechanics. She was the person supposed to not get killed and she came to me for protection and safety...so I beat her to death with a crowbar. 4 years later she's still with me.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Len posted:

My ex rage quit Monopoly because I wouldn't just give her the third green property.

Versus my fiancee. About a month after we started dating we played a game that had traitor mechanics. She was the person supposed to not get killed and she came to me for protection and safety...so I beat her to death with a crowbar. 4 years later she's still with me.

Your fiancee is just biding her time, and is going to beat you to death with a crowbar on your wedding day.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Hellsau posted:

Your fiancee is just biding her time, and is going to beat you to death with a crowbar on your wedding day.

I mean after 4+ years of dealing with me I don't blame her.

The best most paranoid time we ever had in a coop game was playing Battlestar Galactica. Everybody swore they weren't a robot and there was no trust for the 3ish hours the game went on.

Then we found out I was just drunk and failed at making that deck and there were no cylons in game.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

See I've played games against couples who make those kinds of deals and it ruins it for the whole table. Good on you guys for playing right.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Len posted:

I mean after 4+ years of dealing with me I don't blame her.

The best most paranoid time we ever had in a coop game was playing Battlestar Galactica. Everybody swore they weren't a robot and there was no trust for the 3ish hours the game went on.

Then we found out I was just drunk and failed at making that deck and there were no cylons in game.

I always tell myself that one day I'll do a no Cylon or all Cylon loyalty deck and just watch madness unfold. I guess the latter would become obvious relatively quickly.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Mak0rz posted:

Not posting a screenshot because there's no way to trim it of too revealing information but my home town's only funeral director just posted news about a heat warning advisory for the region with the caption "Best news ever!" on Facebook.

Yeesh. All that springs to mind is the 17 people who have died in Quebec from the heat there.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeesh. All that springs to mind is the 17 people who have died in Quebec from the heat there.

Yeah exactly.

Mind, it is meant to be a comment on how cold it's been back home for the whole summer so far and not intended to imply a possible increase in business, but come on dude.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

snergle posted:

he didnt steal it he used a tax loop hole to get a bunch of money to make a video game that he bought mostly finished and spent almost nothing retooling it to the lore of the mmo he wanted to make. Then he never made that mmo. He is huge into "hardcore" mmo's like everquest. none of that changes the fact that he is human garbage who probably got a tbi during baseball because he willing played hurt all the time

And he likely will never make the baseball Hall of Fame because he is such an rear end in a top hat after deciding to be a Right Wing Media Personality that no one wants to vote for him

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The game also wasn't good*, and I lived in RI at the time and worked for a republican small business owner so I had to hear all kinds of hot takes on the radio about how the hell can it possibly cost so much money to make a video game

gently caress Curt Schilling for making my dumb job that much more annoying

* I played the free trial to see what all the fuss was about. Mechanically, it was average. Nothing new or exciting, but also similar enough to other MMOs to be playable. The story was completely forgettable.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Jfc

"You guys would like to play some board games? Unfortunately you don't take it seriously enough and Grimdude (a goon from the Something Awful forums) told me that you guys better do something else because he, a total stranger, thinks that you are lame."

Edit: some people don't care about the outcome, so if they have fun playing games with a high component of chance, more power to them

Me and my friends loved to play smash growing up. We'd get together and just spend rainy afternoons playing it for hours. Tons of characters, items and all sorts of ways to keep it interesting. We'd swap out who played so one guy didn't dominate too much and people didn't feel bad for losing or if they got stuck with a character they didn't like or were bad with.

But we had That One Guy. He watched all the tournament player videos and brushed up on the strategies. So any time he showed up he'd bitch and moan until items were turned off, any time he got to pick the stage it was final destination. If he didn't get to play as samus or fox he'd throw himself off the edge in a fit. Otherwise he'd wavedash and other poo poo and win every match he was part of in record time and it was no loving fun for anyone else. Like, it's fine to be really into a game or whatever. But don't be That Guy. You don't have to take your hardcore turbo poo poo everywhere. This was the same guy who would throw tantrums, well into his teenage years, any time he stared losing mario party.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Weatherman posted:

TONIGHT ON WWL IDIOTS ON SOCIAL MEDIA RAW EXXXTREEEEEME

THE EDGELORDS

VERSUS

THE NICEGUYS

IN

BOARD GAME STRATEGY SMACKDOWWWWWWWWNNNNNN

Hey, Smackdown is its own separate show from Raw :colbert:

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

Bertrand Hustle posted:

The game also wasn't good*, and I lived in RI at the time and worked for a republican small business owner so I had to hear all kinds of hot takes on the radio about how the hell can it possibly cost so much money to make a video game

gently caress Curt Schilling for making my dumb job that much more annoying

* I played the free trial to see what all the fuss was about. Mechanically, it was average. Nothing new or exciting, but also similar enough to other MMOs to be playable. The story was completely forgettable.

Did he actually get far enough to release an alpha / beta for the mmorpg? the game he bought and reskined / relored to add hype to his mmo was actually decent I thought. I was under the impression he didnt do poo poo for the mmo.

poly and open-minded posted:

And he likely will never make the baseball Hall of Fame because he is such an rear end in a top hat after deciding to be a Right Wing Media Personality that no one wants to vote for him

I'm gonna preface this by saying im not huge into sports I don't hate them and call them sports ball but im not watching any sport religiously and I just sort of keep up with the general goings on. I feel like personality shouldnt be used in hall of fame situations since hall of fame should literally be a skill only thing. He pitched 9 innings with a bleeding ankle because he just literally got surgery. Which overcame a 3-0 in the world series. I doubt alot of hall of famers were good people. Especially all the ones inducted before 1960.

I'm also gonna end it with I dont gaf if curt is ever in the hof he is a garbage human and I know it keeps him up at night and eats at him that he isnt in it. He posts on a forum I used to read alot and has admitted as much.

snergle has a new favorite as of 02:02 on Jul 10, 2018

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Curt Schilling's abortive Senate run, complete with five-person death rally, was one of the most schadenfreudelicious things of the past many months. The best part was when he gave out Washington State apples to the attendees, even though it was the height of apple season in Mass.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

1stGear posted:

There are cooperative board games if your friends and family like to cooperate. There are competitive ones if they like to compete. One should know their people and fit your entertainment to their desires. Namaste.

Catan is garbage though, never play it.

It's not always that easy. Some people say they like competition and are super loving lovely to play with and get mad if they don't win and if you don't help them anyway. And then if you play a cooperative game with them, they're super competitive at it and poo poo up everything.

Basically some people are too much of a shitlord about games in particular for this to work with.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Midnight Voyager posted:

It's not always that easy. Some people say they like competition and are super loving lovely to play with and get mad if they don't win and if you don't help them anyway. And then if you play a cooperative game with them, they're super competitive at it and poo poo up everything.

Basically some people are too much of a shitlord about games in particular for this to work with.

Board game law dictates that you can kill those people.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

I think that the most common solution is to introduce a hypothetical traitor. In this way nobody feels free to start quarterbacking because they will draw too much attention.

The other way is to introduce a timing element. This is why sports don't have a quarterbacking problem: you don't have time.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Michelin star ⭐⭐⭐ is 🈶 nothing 🈚 more ➕ than a symbol #️⃣ of bourgeoise propaganda. At this ⬆ point 🈯 its become another way ↕️ in which rich 🤑 white people 👫 giving other rich 🤑 white people 👫👫👫 a pat on 🔛🔛 the back ⬅️ and an excuse to charge €100 for a “fine dining” experience 💯. These pretentious fucks won’t ever give a star ⭐⭐⭐ to the any of the taco 🌮🌮🌮 trucks run 🏃 by 3 black women 👵, or the Iranian bakery. No 😣😣😣, the laymen must continue ⏩ to work 💼💼 without ever getting the credit they deserve and it pisses me off. Sorry 💔 for the rant I just hate 😡😡😡 these guys.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

The Michelin star ⭐⭐⭐ is 🈶 nothing 🈚 more ➕ than a symbol #️⃣ of bourgeoise propaganda. At this ⬆ point 🈯 its become another way ↕️ in which rich 🤑 white people 👫 giving other rich 🤑 white people 👫👫👫 a pat on 🔛🔛 the back ⬅️ and an excuse to charge €100 for a “fine dining” experience 💯. These pretentious fucks won’t ever give a star ⭐⭐⭐ to the any of the taco 🌮🌮🌮 trucks run 🏃 by 3 black women 👵, or the Iranian bakery. No 😣😣😣, the laymen must continue ⏩ to work 💼💼 without ever getting the credit they deserve and it pisses me off. Sorry 💔 for the rant I just hate 😡😡😡 these guys.

I don't trust taco trucks where i don't have to use a broken pidgin form of english because I don't remember anything from high school spanish.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

There’s a street food vendor in Singapore with a star, fun fact.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Grimdude posted:

Jfc thread.

You're being a straight-up rear end in a top hat, and I'm glad I don't have to play games with you. You do know there are games where you play cooperatively, right? Pandemic and the Grizzled are two I can name just offhand, and they're a lot of fun.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

😈you 😡fool.😡😈 you absolute 🤕buffoon🤕. you 🤔think 👉you👈 can 💪💪challenge💪💪 me in my 👇own👇 realm📯? you think you can 👿rebel👿 against my 🚨🚔authority🔫? you dare 💦come💦 into my ⛪️house🕌 and ⬆️upturn⤴️ my 🍽dining🍴chairs and spill ☕️coffee grounds☕️ in my Keurig😡⁉️? you 🤔thought you were safe😎 in your ⛓⛓⛓chain mail armor⛓⛓⛓ ⬅️behind that 📺screen 🖥of yours. I will 👊take these laminate🚪 wood floor 🀄️boards and 💥⚡️destroy ⚡️💥you. I 🙅💁🏼didn’t ☹️want 🙍war. but i ❌didn’t❌ start it😞😒😡😠.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Fathis Munk posted:

I always tell myself that one day I'll do a no Cylon or all Cylon loyalty deck and just watch madness unfold. I guess the latter would become obvious relatively quickly.

Goons ran a couple of all-Cylon leader games and they were a lot of fun. Cylon leaders are kind of an alternative uncertain ally/enemy that's closer to the actual Cylons infilitrators we see in the show. The rules for them are in Pegasus and maybe one other expansion.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
https://twitter.com/ThatPazuzu/status/1016507715898798080

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Playing up the Twitter bio very well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I would figure that someone that is so good at smash brothers would would be equally good regardless of character, items, or battlefield.

Anyway the thing I liked about playing games like that with my friends is that some of us would be better at some things and some of us would be better than others, so everybody had chances to really shine.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Quoting Maco Pierre White is too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Panfilo posted:

I would figure that someone that is so good at smash brothers would would be equally good regardless of character, items, or battlefield.

Anyway the thing I liked about playing games like that with my friends is that some of us would be better at some things and some of us would be better than others, so everybody had chances to really shine.

If you got a game like Smash Bros and somebodies on different level, you should just do what me and my friends would and play 1v3. It'll be great no matter who wins.