Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The name and address of the owner should be available via a title search from any title company, or also possibly just by visiting your city or county recorder, property tax office, or similar. Send a certified letter with signature required. That way you don't have to gently caress around with possibly illegally recording a phone call with someone, and will have proof that you can give to an insurer or if necessary a court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Jose Valasquez posted:

You should do
code:
[]   [][]
[][] []_

What would the bottom-right underline be?

edit: what if I just did a loss.jpg shape

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

OSU_Matthew posted:

What do I do? Call and record the conversation? Who's ultimately responsible for tearing this thing down?

Look up the address the tax statements go to in your country public records system. That's the official notification address.

Leperflesh posted:

The name and address of the owner should be available via a title search from any title company, or also possibly just by visiting your city or county recorder, property tax office, or similar. Send a certified letter with signature required. That way you don't have to gently caress around with possibly illegally recording a phone call with someone, and will have proof that you can give to an insurer or if necessary a court.

I should have read the next page first. Yes, this.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Motronic posted:

Look up the address the tax statements go to inki your country public records system. That's the official notification address.

I should have read the next page first. Yes, this.

This is great advice, thanks! I'll do exactly that.

I just typed out a letter basically saying that I've been hoping to talk to someone in person to get the dead tree removed before it falls on both of our houses, but the condition of the tree is starting to rapidly deteriorate so this is the next best thing I can think of to get a hold of you, and that I noticed the other living tree was recently removed so if you could take care of this one too before it falls that'd be awesome, here's my contact info.

Pretty much straight to the point, hopefully without being too confrontational, though I guess that doesn't matter so much since the house is basically vacant

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

OSU_Matthew posted:

This is great advice, thanks! I'll do exactly that.

I just typed out a letter basically saying that I've been hoping to talk to someone in person to get the dead tree removed before it falls on both of our houses, but the condition of the tree is starting to rapidly deteriorate so this is the next best thing I can think of to get a hold of you, and that I noticed the other living tree was recently removed so if you could take care of this one too before it falls that'd be awesome, here's my contact info.

Pretty much straight to the point, hopefully without being too confrontational, though I guess that doesn't matter so much since the house is basically vacant

Have you talked to your insurance company about sending it on your behalf? They'd be interested in not being liable if at all possible, and that way the responsibility for a "legal record" of notification is not up to you.

Obviously try and talk to them as a person first, but if that fails.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Is Trex decking worth it?

We bought a house 2 years ago that was built in 1999, only 1 previous owner. The deck is on the south facing part of the house, and it gets full North Carolina sun and humidity all summer long. Also, I'm pretty sure it has the original coat of paint on it...needless to say it's in horrible shape.

Our plan is to rip it out, replace the deck with a slightly larger screened in porch, then have a 12x16ish side deck built (grill has to go somewhere). Wasn't thinking about Trex for the screened in porch, but the side deck seems like a prime candidate.

So I'm guessing that this will probably add $3k-$5k to the project that we were already guessing would be about $15k. Is that money well spent? I grew up with a concrete patio, so painting/sealing a deck every few years is not something I'm used to. Seems like a massive pain in the rear end...but is it a big enough PITA to justify paying a lot more money up front?

Side note, we haven't even started to get estimates yet...we've been meaning to get this done for the last 2 years but we just haven't been able to yet. So I have no idea how much this will actually cost...just semi-educated guesses for now.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

DaveSauce posted:

Is Trex decking worth it?

We bought a house 2 years ago that was built in 1999, only 1 previous owner. The deck is on the south facing part of the house, and it gets full North Carolina sun and humidity all summer long. Also, I'm pretty sure it has the original coat of paint on it...needless to say it's in horrible shape.

Our plan is to rip it out, replace the deck with a slightly larger screened in porch, then have a 12x16ish side deck built (grill has to go somewhere). Wasn't thinking about Trex for the screened in porch, but the side deck seems like a prime candidate.

So I'm guessing that this will probably add $3k-$5k to the project that we were already guessing would be about $15k. Is that money well spent? I grew up with a concrete patio, so painting/sealing a deck every few years is not something I'm used to. Seems like a massive pain in the rear end...but is it a big enough PITA to justify paying a lot more money up front?

Side note, we haven't even started to get estimates yet...we've been meaning to get this done for the last 2 years but we just haven't been able to yet. So I have no idea how much this will actually cost...just semi-educated guesses for now.

I love my Trex deck and I also hated dealing with power washing, staining, etc. That's not THAT much work, but enough that the premium was worth it in my opinion. If you outsource the periodic maintenance of the deck I think you can be looking at several hundred ($500?) every few years and that premium of the Trex quickly goes away if you stay in your house for a while. That's how I justified it.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Speaking of decks, I am demoing an old ground-level deck in my back yard. I have the decking off and still have to break down the underlying joists, etc.

Are there any tricks to disassembling the standard nail/hanger construction? It seems like trying to crowbar out all the nails would be obnoxious. I've got a sawzall so I can cut some of the joists down into more manageable pieces, but there are still joints that would need to be pulled apart. Could I just try sawing through the hangers/nails directly?

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

TraderStav posted:

I love my Trex deck and I also hated dealing with power washing, staining, etc. That's not THAT much work, but enough that the premium was worth it in my opinion. If you outsource the periodic maintenance of the deck I think you can be looking at several hundred ($500?) every few years and that premium of the Trex quickly goes away if you stay in your house for a while. That's how I justified it.
You don't have to pressure wash your Trex? Or brush? Maybe my cleaning needs are because it is an older formula...

Hubis posted:

Speaking of decks, I am demoing an old ground-level deck in my back yard. I have the decking off and still have to break down the underlying joists, etc.

Are there any tricks to disassembling the standard nail/hanger construction? It seems like trying to crowbar out all the nails would be obnoxious. I've got a sawzall so I can cut some of the joists down into more manageable pieces, but there are still joints that would need to be pulled apart. Could I just try sawing through the hangers/nails directly?
You'll either want to use a metal blade on the sawzall or a catspaw, or probably both. I removed a ~22x12 loft entirely with a catspaw, it was a fair amount of work. I should have used it as an excuse to buy a cordless sawzall and a few big AH batteries!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

You definitely still have to pressure wash Trex. Mine grows a nice carpet of moss every year or two.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

SiGmA_X posted:

You don't have to pressure wash your Trex? Or brush? Maybe my cleaning needs are because it is an older formula...
You'll either want to use a metal blade on the sawzall or a catspaw, or probably both. I removed a ~22x12 loft entirely with a catspaw, it was a fair amount of work. I should have used it as an excuse to buy a cordless sawzall and a few big AH batteries!

Thanks, just read about using a Cat's Paw elsewhere so I've got one on order now.

As for the cordless sawzall, I've got one! But I can always use an excuse for new batteries. Besides, I need new blades anytways since cutting out the broken fiberglass hot tub in the middle of the deck pretty much trashed them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
If it is ground level I suggest a big loving hammer. If it is bolted to the house remove those bolts first. (Not with the hammer. )

Dress up like Thor while you do it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Nothing accumulates on my Trex and I'd be scared as poo poo to pressure wash it as there's a hairs width of coating until you see the material underneath. It's so soft I can easily see the pressure washer acting like a knife to it.

I do occasionally hose it down and scrub it with a broom though, but that's nothing big.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Home Depot sells this house attachment that uses three ball bearings and a rubber gasket to make a fine jet stream similar to a pressure washer but not nearly as powerful. I find it creates enough pressure to clean off my composite deck (not Trextm) without harming it.

The attachment is like six bucks. Well worth it as an upgrade over the previous generic brass nozzle I was using.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Home Depot sells this house attachment that uses three ball bearings and a rubber gasket to make a fine jet stream similar to a pressure washer but not nearly as powerful. I find it creates enough pressure to clean off my composite deck (not Trextm) without harming it.

The attachment is like six bucks. Well worth it as an upgrade over the previous generic brass nozzle I was using.

This guy? Looks pretty cool
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Little-Big-Shot-Super-Nozzle-LBSR-1/202514529

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Nothing accumulates on my Trex and I'd be scared as poo poo to pressure wash it as there's a hairs width of coating until you see the material underneath. It's so soft I can easily see the pressure washer acting like a knife to it.

I do occasionally hose it down and scrub it with a broom though, but that's nothing big.

https://www.trex.com/trex-owners/care-and-cleaning/

According to this you get 3100PSI @ 8" "with fan attachment/adjustment". The cheapest one harbor freight sells is only like 1800psi or similar for like $75 with the right coupon. So far mine has lasted around 10 uses and 2 years, so I'm happy with the purchase.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Yeah that’s the one. I use it for cleaning the detritus from between my deck boards because it can make a super fine stream.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been seeing a couple of ants each evening in my bedroom and thought they were coming in from cracks under the windows from the overgrown crepe myrtles I had outside. So I chopped down the trees and weatherstripped the windows, but I was still seeing them. So tonight I just laid on my bed watching my window to see where they were getting in and it turns out they're coming out from the little gap between the window sill and the wall and I'm pretty sure they're carpenter ants living in the wall :smithicide:

Do never buy

The silver lining is that I'm in Texas and they're southern carpenter ants which aren't nearly as bad as the northern variety. I've caulked up the holes but they'll probably find another way out. This weekend I'll tear off the sill moulding and see what happens/call Terminix back out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Terro baits. Now.

(and spray since they are carpenter ants)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

Terro baits. Now.

(and spray since they are carpenter ants)

Which baits do you recommend? Terro makes several. I've already sprayed outside. I'll spray along the baseboards tomorrow morning. I also put Amdro all around the house a couple days ago, so hopefully they eat that stuff too.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Which baits do you recommend? Terro makes several. I've already sprayed outside. I'll spray along the baseboards tomorrow morning. I also put Amdro all around the house a couple days ago, so hopefully they eat that stuff too.

The Terro borax+sugar water ones. The problem with those and carpenter ants is that if they are sated by eating your house they don't have a sweet tooth so won't go after them (p sure same thing for the andro ones)......this is why you need to always also spray for carpenter ants. Neurotoxins are your friend here.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Well the good news is carpenter ants don't eat wood, just nest in it, so they should be plenty hungry. I'll go ahead and bait and spray some more. When I get the time this weekend and can pry the window moulding off I'll go hog wild with poisons.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Homeownership: Neurotoxins are your friend here

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

The Terro borax+sugar water ones. The problem with those and carpenter ants is that if they are sated by eating your house they don't have a sweet tooth so won't go after them (p sure same thing for the andro ones)......this is why you need to always also spray for carpenter ants. Neurotoxins are your friend here.

Terro doesn't do jack poo poo against the carpenter ants in my area, because apparently they don't care much for sugar

It is super effective against the smaller ants though, which do eat sugar

Carpenter ants also don't actually eat wood, they just burrow into it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

Carpenter ants also don't actually eat wood, they just burrow into it

It's been a while since I dealt with them and didn't remember that, but I do remember needing both - neither seems to be entirely effective, and the sugar water stuff didn't get touched for a while, then all of a sudden it did and it was antpocalypse. I think the vague explanation I got at the time was something about feeding cycles, but it was a while ago.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Hey homeowners, what's your favorite resource to compare home insurance prices? I have used Allstate since I started driving as a teenager so I just bundled when I bought, but it's been going up $200 a year and it sounds like new customer rates elsewhere would be worth the switch. What's a good place to get quotes and minimize the amount of junk mail and phone calls from it? I'm still shell shocked by the spam-tsunami I got when looking for health insurance... Are insurance brokers worth it? Just plug my info into Progressive or whoever's compare tool? Or get individual company quotes by going one by one?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I used a local broker. Not every insurance company works with brokers, but enough of them do that you'll likely get close to the best rate you can get. The insurance co pay a bounty to the broker so you don't actually pay your broker anything. You should definitely try to bundle if you can.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

drat Bananas posted:

Hey homeowners, what's your favorite resource to compare home insurance prices? I have used Allstate since I started driving as a teenager so I just bundled when I bought, but it's been going up $200 a year and it sounds like new customer rates elsewhere would be worth the switch. What's a good place to get quotes and minimize the amount of junk mail and phone calls from it? I'm still shell shocked by the spam-tsunami I got when looking for health insurance... Are insurance brokers worth it? Just plug my info into Progressive or whoever's compare tool? Or get individual company quotes by going one by one?

Find an local independent insurance agent. I'm making an effort to spend my money in the new community I'm moving to, and found a great local insurance agent. They can quote against dozens of companies to find you the best rate.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a local Google Voice number set to DND that’s perfect for giving out when getting quotes.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Thanks everyone. I think I'll post on my Nextdoor neighborhood to see who others recommend. Are brokers and agents the same thing?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Everything I'm seeing online says carpenter ants basically only live in moist wood which with their proximity to the bathroom probably means I have a pinhole pipe leak in the wall somewhere. I say a pinhole leak because I haven't seen any signs of water damage anywhere yet, and I've been in the crawlspace around that area a lot.

The ants have been present for at least the month I've owned the house (probably far longer) so oh boy. I wonder what's in that wall.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

drat Bananas posted:

Thanks everyone. I think I'll post on my Nextdoor neighborhood to see who others recommend. Are brokers and agents the same thing?

Captive agents are different, think State Farm where you have an agent but they only deal with State Farm. Once you start talking to people it will become pretty darn clear I think. I've never had a problem with excessive phone calls from this stuff, once you tell them you've gone elsewhere I've seen it die off immediately.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

Everything I'm seeing online says carpenter ants basically only live in moist wood which with their proximity to the bathroom probably means I have a pinhole pipe leak in the wall somewhere. I say a pinhole leak because I haven't seen any signs of water damage anywhere yet, and I've been in the crawlspace around that area a lot.

The ants have been present for at least the month I've owned the house (probably far longer) so oh boy. I wonder what's in that wall.

Is it an outside wall? If so, you're more likely to have a siding/flashing/whatever issue.

And Permethrin. That's the nasty stuff I was trying to remember the name of.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

H110Hawk posted:

Captive agents are different, think State Farm where you have an agent but they only deal with State Farm. Once you start talking to people it will become pretty darn clear I think. I've never had a problem with excessive phone calls from this stuff, once you tell them you've gone elsewhere I've seen it die off immediately.

I've had mixed results so I'm glad I do the GV method. I get emails from a local All State office every 6ish months. They always say sorry we'll remove you from the list. Its gone on since 2014. State Farm removed me immediately when I asked, not a peep in 3yrs...

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Motronic posted:

Is it an outside wall? If so, you're more likely to have a siding/flashing/whatever issue.

It is an exterior wall but it's brick facade with wood siding behind it which is almost certainly where the nest started, but I don't know how moisture would get from outside to behind the brick. I'm going to poke around with my USB endoscope and see what I can find. Drilling a few 1/4" holes in interior walls should help me see what's going on and it's easy to patch and paint those.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

drat Bananas posted:

Just google "<your town> independent insurance agent" and call one with good reviews.

Motronic posted:

Permethrin is good stuff. Anything with Fipronil is awesome (Termidor SC or Taurus SC). It's targeted for termites but kills the poo poo out of ants as well. I probably wouldn't recommend it for most homeowners though. Cyfluthrin, and other stuff is probably safer. I'd probably just buy this kit https://www.domyown.com/indoor-carpenter-ant-kit-p-14507.html to tackle them

I backed up to a greenbelt at my last house and had a hell of a time with ants. I put some Talstar granules down in the yard and didn't see an anthill for probably 6 months.

For anyone reading, make sure to be safe if you explore some of the more powerful chemicals though. Read instructions carefully and use PPE

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SpartanIvy posted:

It is an exterior wall but it's brick facade with wood siding behind it which is almost certainly where the nest started, but I don't know how moisture would get from outside to behind the brick.

So, so many ways unfortunately. But yeah, poke around and see what's up. You are likely to be pulling drywall soon in any case.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

skipdogg posted:

Just google "<your town> independent insurance agent" and call one with good reviews.

Permethrin is good stuff. Anything with Fipronil is awesome (Termidor SC or Taurus SC). It's targeted for termites but kills the poo poo out of ants as well. I probably wouldn't recommend it for most homeowners though. Cyfluthrin, and other stuff is probably safer. I'd probably just buy this kit https://www.domyown.com/indoor-carpenter-ant-kit-p-14507.html to tackle them

I backed up to a greenbelt at my last house and had a hell of a time with ants. I put some Talstar granules down in the yard and didn't see an anthill for probably 6 months.

For anyone reading, make sure to be safe if you explore some of the more powerful chemicals though. Read instructions carefully and use PPE

I went ahead and bought this kit and some ant dust/bulb sprayer as well. Gonna dust all over my crawlspace at all the vents and plumbing areas.

Thanks for your help everyone. I'm going nuclear with the poisons, because I want to be the only living thing in my house. I've got no kids or pets so I'm also thinking of bug bombing the place, although I doubt that would do anything to ants in walls.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 12, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SiGmA_X posted:

I've had mixed results so I'm glad I do the GV method. I get emails from a local All State office every 6ish months. They always say sorry we'll remove you from the list. Its gone on since 2014. State Farm removed me immediately when I asked, not a peep in 3yrs...

Use Gmail? Just hit report spam. Google will learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

H110Hawk posted:

Use Gmail? Just hit report spam. Google will learn.
I do, it doesn't seem to.