Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So... the Ultimate Phantom Pain Mod or whatever it’s called has completely turned the game around for me. I’ve put over 300 hours into TPP and GZ and eventually grew to hate TPP because of how awful the late game economy is balanced where you can easily spend like a fifth of your total bank account per deployment with basically zero hope of making your money back without a 6-hour non stop game world raid fultoning everything that enters your field of view.

Turns out using a script to eliminate the horrible helicopter deployment costs and skip helicopter rides does a lot for making the game fun again.

Unfortunately no mods will fix the boring, strangely designed open world but hey. It’s something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GreatGreen posted:

where you can easily spend like a fifth of your total bank account per deployment

What? I’ve never had this problem.

Are you deploying with all the insane guns every single time

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Deployment was never an issue for me either using I was doing FOB missions.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Those later level 8 guns and up will use 50x the resources for like 5% better performance or something, just don’t use them and you’ll never be wanting

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Steve Yun posted:

Those later level 8 guns and up will use 50x the resources for like 5% better performance or something, just don’t use them and you’ll never be wanting

They’re super overkill for the single player as well. Those things are meant to help take down tryhard FOBs.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
How do these power-ups relate to all the rape the creator put in this game though?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

feelix posted:

MGS4 is cool because most of the main bosses are hot women :)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Like I said, this is not concern trolling or a gimmick. Hideo Kojima tastelessly put a bunch of rape in this game and he is a disgusting human being for doing so. Ban me, probe me, say I'm the Games poster that cried wolf, whatever, I don't mind going down in the dead gay forum history books for this

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

feelix posted:

Like I said, this is not concern trolling or a gimmick. Hideo Kojima tastelessly put a bunch of rape in this game and he is a disgusting human being for doing so. Ban me, probe me, say I'm the Games poster that cried wolf, whatever, I don't mind going down in the dead gay forum history books for this

He didn't put any rape in The Phantom Pain. There was one instance of rape in Ground Zeroes, though nothing graphically depicted. You can complain about that in a reasonable manner without being a twat about it.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

He didn't put any rape in The Phantom Pain. There was one instance of rape in Ground Zeroes, though nothing graphically depicted. You can complain about that in a reasonable manner without being a twat about it.

Quiet was able to overpower her intended rapist because he foolishly took off her pants in order to rape her. This ties into Quiet's plot about needing to be naked because Kojima is a loving disgusting human being because she needs to photosynthesize to breathe (gently caress all of this, how can you read this and not hope Kojima isn't banned from writing a single line for the rest of his life, what's wrong with you?)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Kojima did what you said, but in his idiot brain, much like in many other idiot brains, he probably thinks he is making a powerful statement about the female body being the most powerful object of all or some other tone deaf stupid poo poo.

Also I'm not saying this is good. He's a fifty year old Japanese man.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
If other countries can censor American games for having too much violence, can we just censor every Japanese game to take out every reference to gender and sexuality and make every character a genderless mannequin? I challenge everyone to name one Japanese game that wouldn't be improved by this

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I challenge you to make a good post.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

feelix posted:

If other countries can censor American games for having too much violence, can we just censor every Japanese game to take out every reference to gender and sexuality and make every character a genderless mannequin? I challenge everyone to name one Japanese game that wouldn't be improved by this

I agree on the grounds that it took fifty pages in the PS4 thread for someone to explain that the sex robots dressed like maids in Nier A are somehow an elaborate troll targeting Japanese teenage boys.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Kojima lost me when he convinced me something cool might happen or I might learn something neat if I listened to multiple hours upon hours of the exact science behind how tiny micro organisms could spread a horrible zombie virus but they wouldn’t activate unless the host spoke a specific language because speech / vowel patterns or some other horse poo poo.

I could have sworn something interesting would come of it but nope. Just a dude sperging for HOURS about exactly how his retarded, made up parasites work and how to cook the perfect hamburger.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

GreatGreen posted:

Kojima lost me when he convinced me something cool might happen or I might learn something neat if I listened to multiple hours upon hours of the exact science behind how tiny micro organisms could spread a horrible zombie virus but they wouldn’t activate unless the host spoke a specific language because speech / vowel patterns or some other horse poo poo.

I could have sworn something interesting would come of it but nope. Just a dude sperging for HOURS about exactly how his retarded, made up parasites work and how to cook the perfect hamburger.

copulation

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Birdstrike posted:

copulation

w o l b a c h i a

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Strange to see this thread pop up in the games subforum.... maybe it's a sign.

Does anyone know where one might source object files from MGS4? I'm trying to obtain an accurate model of the Solid Eye, for Reasons.

I figure somebody might know a modder, who might know a thing or two about extracting models into a format that 3D modelling software can open.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Have you read any of his posts before? I don’t think he can order food without being a twat about it.

Re: Nier A. Yoko Taro straight up said he just likes girls.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Re: Nier A. Yoko Taro straight up said he just likes girls.

You're not going dissuade either racist idiot with that line.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

You're not going dissuade either racist idiot with that line.

The funniest thing is Japanese games frequently feature less censorship of violence in the west as compared to the local versions of their games: Resident Evil 4 lacks decapitation in the Japanese version. It'd be great if he were at least correct with their complaints of censorship.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I got to the truth mission, are there any more story things after that?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

tweet my meat posted:

Nope, that's pretty much it as I recall.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

tweet my meat posted:

Did you finish up Quiets story yet?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Look Sir Droids posted:

Did you finish up Quiets story yet?

Not yet, but i did finally get her xof outfit that isn't fetish gear so I might bring her along for some missions.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
David hater's voice is really bad. How is it possible that he has fans ? He sounds like George Takei trying to act straight and white.

Question: Can someone explain what happened between mgs2 raiden and mgs4 raiden ? How did he turn into a robot ? I don't have a ps3 so I can't really play mgs4. I've only played GZ and TPP, and now i'm playing MG Rising. I've tried looking up cutscenes on youtube but they pretty much just show him killing those cow robot walkers and then later he holds his sword with his mouth for some reason ? What in the gently caress.

Caros
May 14, 2008

jonathan posted:

Question: Can someone explain what happened between mgs2 raiden and mgs4 raiden ? How did he turn into a robot ? I don't have a ps3 so I can't really play mgs4. I've only played GZ and TPP, and now i'm playing MG Rising. I've tried looking up cutscenes on youtube but they pretty much just show him killing those cow robot walkers and then later he holds his sword with his mouth for some reason ? What in the gently caress.

In the aftermath of MGS2, Raiden starts dating Rosemary, but due to his psycho-indoctrination begining to fail, he starts to remember his time as a child soldier, with his PTSD causing tension between them. Hoping that action will help, he infiltrates Area 51 in order to rescue Olga's daughter Sunny, with the help of Paradise Lost (Big Momma's group).

He then finds out that Rosemary miscarried and remarried Roy Campbell in his absence, which causes him to start drinking and being even more irational. He tries to recover the remains of Big Boss for Big Momma and is captured by the patriots.

The Patriots, being idiots, decide to use Raiden as a subject for exoskeletal enhancement surgery, because if there is one thing you want to do, it is cybernetically enhance the guy who wants to murder you.

With the help of Big Momma, Raiden escapes his captivity. He goes underground and uses Science to clear his body of nanomachines, after which he uses his new cyborg body to reclaim Big Boss' remains from the patriots. Or rather, Solidus' remains. At some point he goes to Alaska to learn scouting techniques from a Native American shaman. For... uh, reasons.

Then Big Momma decides she is going to help Snake, and Raiden is called back into action.

Also, if none of the above makes sense, that is fine. It was supposed to be Grey Fox, but Kojima was overruled by his staff and they just sort of made up a bullshit explanation.

quote:

David hater's voice is really bad. How is it possible that he has fans ? He sounds like George Takei trying to act straight and white.

No sir, you are in fact dumb and wrong.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Hayter is great. His voice makes Snake stand out from just being Generic White Video Game Solider that’s in every other war game. Kiefer was so boring in V.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Kiefer was boring mostly, but I really loved him in a few scenes. I feel like he could have blown hayter out of the water if he had been given a complete, un hosed with story to work with.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Caros posted:

No sir, you are in fact dumb and wrong.

Nah he's right. David Hayter himself has done some cool stuff and might be a genuinely cool dude, but his Snake voice is like the cringiest voice in all of video games. Snake's voice has the cadence of an 11-year-old trying way too hard to sound cool and menacing.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

GreatGreen posted:

Snake's voice has the cadence of an 11-year-old trying way too hard to sound cool and menacing.

but this is perfect for metal gear

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think Hayter probably would have sounded out of place in MGS5 but in games that feature a supernatural Native shaman who carries around a jet fighter cannon, a fat explosive expert who moves around on roller skates, a man who controls bees to the point they can form a working machine gun, a man who was mentally taken over by the spirit of another man via arm transplant but then overcame that spirit but continued to fake it to fool the AI computers that control the world, and spies who write J-pop songs as part of their cover someone who sounds like an 11 year old’s idea of awesome sounds pretty good.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Something I personally overlooked about the MGS series was how each iteration of Metal Gear is sold to us as this impossibly powerful, invincible death machine that is the end result of billions of dollars, brilliant scientific minds bent to the task, who knows how many engineers manufacturing it, etc. And for what? So it can get blown to pieces by some guy with a rocket launcher in the end. Every single time. Wonderful commentary on the defense industry.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
they should have gotten michael ironsides

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

brilliant scientific minds and also otacon

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I think Hayter probably would have sounded out of place in MGS5 but in games that feature a supernatural Native shaman who carries around a jet fighter cannon, a fat explosive expert who moves around on roller skates, a man who controls bees to the point they can form a working machine gun, a man who was mentally taken over by the spirit of another man via arm transplant but then overcame that spirit but continued to fake it to fool the AI computers that control the world, and spies who write J-pop songs as part of their cover someone who sounds like an 11 year old’s idea of awesome sounds pretty good.

ok ngl this is real hard to argue against.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ultramega posted:

Something I personally overlooked about the MGS series was how each iteration of Metal Gear is sold to us as this impossibly powerful, invincible death machine that is the end result of billions of dollars, brilliant scientific minds bent to the task, who knows how many engineers manufacturing it, etc. And for what? So it can get blown to pieces by some guy with a rocket launcher in the end. Every single time. Wonderful commentary on the defense industry.

Well to be fair, almost all of them are destroyed by some version of the world's greatest soldier. Big Boss gets shagohod, RAXA, some ai poo poo, peace walker and Zeke.

Solid takes down TX-55, either manned or with c4. Wrecks D, kills Rex with the help of a cyborg Ninja, and then blows up a metal gear ray by kicking its rear end in rex.

The only metal gears that aren't destroyed by Big Boss or Snake are the horde of knock off Rays that raiden mooks, the Ray and Excellus from rising, and Sahelanthropus, which was a dumb metal gear killed by someone who thought he was big boss.

Presumably Metal Gears would have a better track record when not facing the world's most bullshit supersoldiers.

Caros fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 10, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Nah he's right. David Hayter himself has done some cool stuff and might be a genuinely cool dude, but his Snake voice is like the cringiest voice in all of video games. Snake's voice has the cadence of an 11-year-old trying way too hard to sound cool and menacing.

This is literally Solid Snake's personality though

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I love Hayter in all MGS games. Bringing Sutherland was a stupid decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Terminally Bored posted:

I love Hayter in all MGS games. Bringing Sutherland was a stupid decision.