Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

its curtains for Kevin posted:

I've been really struggling with my fretboard knowledge; I don't know my notes fluently in the upper strings or past the 12 fret; is there any online exercises anyone recommends for that? I feel very limited in my improvisation because I always feel like I have to start on the root, and that I only really know the names of the notes on the lower strings. Before, I taught myself all of my common modes by doing a circle of fourths up and down starting on the root. Maybe I should try different exercises, like starting at the top and going down an octave, or possibly starting on a the 3rd or 7th

Late to the fretboard knowledge chat, but I wanna share how I successfully memorized where all (well most) of the notes are.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redrabbit.android.guitar.guitarfretboardtrainerlite

I used this thing every day on the train into work, and had it mostly memorized in a couple weeks.

If your goal is to improvise, it's also important to memorize where all the intervals are on the fretboard.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.redrabbit.android.guitar.guitarintervaltrainerlt

I'm sure you can find other apps that do exactly the same thing, but I know these ones work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

baka kaba posted:

Weren't they meant to be really good and stable when set up properly though? Like wasn't that what the whole design was about
I think that was the goal but it didn't really work out that great in practice. nowadays just buy a Mastery bridge and be done with it imo. got a Bilt Relevator with a Mastery bridge/trem and vintage slotted tuners, and that thing is as stable as any of my guitars with locking tuners.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Professor Science posted:

nowadays just buy a Mastery bridge and be done with it imo.
Or save $100 and buy a Staytrem bridge.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I put threaded inserts in my Jr. neck. I'd taken the neck off one too many times, or been uncareful putting it back on, and the bolts were just a bit loose. Since it's a very cheap guitar I figured why not - if I destroy it, excuse to buy something better. I didn't destroy it - the neck joint feels a lot more solid now and I should be able take it on an off an unlimited amount of times so it can continue to be my travel guitar. Since this worked I ordered some cheap replacement tuning machines from ebay since those seem to be the major weakness of the guitar at this point.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Professor Science posted:

I think that was the goal but it didn't really work out that great in practice. nowadays just buy a Mastery bridge and be done with it imo. got a Bilt Relevator with a Mastery bridge/trem and vintage slotted tuners, and that thing is as stable as any of my guitars with locking tuners.

A Mastery costs more than half what my Jazzmaster did :(

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Post your own bitter home truths:

- Any riff or solo learned by ear/experimentation sticks 9000 times better than one learned from tab
- Playing standing up is easier, and I play better
- I only need one more guitar and then I'll play just like Marty Friedman.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Southern Heel posted:

- Any riff or solo learned by ear/experimentation sticks 9000 times better than one learned from tab

Don't be so harsh on yourself, it's ok to need another 5 or 6 guitars before you get where you wanna be.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
There's always another instrument you didn't know you wanted.

A loved instrument only needs one flaw for you to change your mind forever about it.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Southern Heel posted:

This is so true, sometimes I sit down to practice singing and playing and can’t get in the groove so I gotta stand.

I’m not sure I could even play lead on a song if I was sitting down. Which is weird cause I probably spent the majority of my time learning guitar sitting on my rear end in front of a computer or tv noodling away.

Always be flailing about like a crazy person.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It sounds better when it's louder.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Southern Heel posted:

7.25" radius on Fenders - for cork sniffers, real players or both?
Probably both. Not my favorite, personally. I actually really like modern Fender radius. They are super easy to play, imho.

Regarding all of this talk of the fiddly offset bridges, inclined to agree.
Used to play a MIJ Mustang and that thing was all over the place.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Harton posted:

Always be flailing about like a crazy person.

:yeah:

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

betterinsodapop posted:

Probably both. Not my favorite, personally. I actually really like modern Fender radius. They are super easy to play, imho.

Regarding all of this talk of the fiddly offset bridges, inclined to agree.
Used to play a MIJ Mustang and that thing was all over the place.

I shudder a bit just looking at the Mustang trem. It's impossible to imagine that thing ever being in tune.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
One truth that I've always believed in: I always play better on my guitar, not your guitar.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

One truth that I've always believed in: I always play better on my guitar, not your guitar.

Every guitar that isn’t mine feels like some kind of bizarro alternate reality instrument

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

landgrabber posted:

maybe i'll get a strat instead in the case

Not to bust in here SAMART style but I have an American Special Stat in surf green I'm looking to part ways with. Not sure if you'd be interested.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Every guitar that isn’t mine feels like some kind of bizarro alternate reality instrument

Playing someone else's guitar is like using someone else's computer.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
More gain isn't always the answer (but it's an answer).

Spanish Manlove posted:

It sounds better when it's louder.

Isn't there like, an actual physics reason why this is true? Cuz it's definitely true.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Anime Reference posted:

Playing someone else's guitar is like using someone else's computer.

Yeah seriously.

I got these two friends that are brothers. Never bring guitars over, always just play my acoustic or one of my lesser electrics. Like gently caress man I don’t even play those electrics......I don’t know how they can stand it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Gnumonic posted:

Isn't there like, an actual physics reason why this is true? Cuz it's definitely true.

aside from your amp's power tubes putting in more work, and actually feeling the bass physically with everything that isn't your ears, there's not really a different effects that occur in your own ears to different volumes except at super low levels.

http://web.engr.uky.edu/~donohue/audio/fsear.html

http://www.animations.physics.unsw.edu.au/jw/dB.htm

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Luna posted:

Not to bust in here SAMART style but I have an American Special Stat in surf green I'm looking to part ways with. Not sure if you'd be interested.

you have NO idea how much i would love to - idk if you saw the post where i mentioned i'm a sucker for surf green, hahaha - but i'm still a beginner here. i'm talking "i don't even own a squier" levels, here. i'll probably remember this post for a couple of years and think "god if only"

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Gnumonic posted:

it's not actual physics, i think it's kind of a psychoacoustic thing - i read it in a music production book, when you hear music at a higher volume, both bass and treble are more prominent, whereas at a lower volume they take a back seat to the mids. maybe that's what you're experiencing.

it was in the context of how songs end up being accidentally made super loud in the mixing process - once you push those faders up, it's no fun bringing them back down

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Anime Reference posted:

I shudder a bit just looking at the Mustang trem. It's impossible to imagine that thing ever being in tune.
It would be in tune RIGHT after tuning, and then fell out the second you played it. loving nightmare.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm a lefty. I always feel that way. :cry:

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

my younger sister plays a made in japan mustang and i always loving hated how that thing sounds so maybe that's it

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

betterinsodapop posted:

It would be in tune RIGHT after tuning, and then fell out the second you played it. loving nightmare.

do you actually own a lefty-guitar? i thought it'd actually be almost advantageous to play with your dominant hand on the fret board - a lot of the time i'm finding that i'm not applying to strength to strings and i'm strumming too hard over the sound hole. a little bit like how when you play drums you're supposed to ride with your less dominant hand so you have more strength for the one you move around more

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gnumonic posted:

More gain is only the answer if you're doing an A-B comparison, in which case it will ALWAYS sound better.

betterinsodapop posted:

:hf:

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 10, 2018

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Southern Heel posted:

-Nothing happens at home, get out and play

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

landgrabber posted:

do you actually own a lefty-guitar? i thought it'd actually be almost advantageous to play with your dominant hand on the fret board - a lot of the time i'm finding that i'm not applying to strength to strings and i'm strumming too hard over the sound hole. a little bit like how when you play drums you're supposed to ride with your less dominant hand so you have more strength for the one you move around more

It's more that (the majority of) your expression is done with the picking hand, that's what actually produces the notes - rhythm and dynamics all under the hand you have more control with. The fretting hand mostly needs to just get the fingers down in time, before the picking happens

There's a few exceptions to that where you need more control (slurs, controlled bends, fast picking where there's no window for loose timing with your fretting) but generally your fretting hand has a simpler job compared to what the other hand is doing.

As far as I'm aware that goes for most instruments too? They're usually meant for right-handed players and put all the "busy" stuff under that hand - like how the higher melody notes are on the right of a piano, the accompaniment is done with the other hand. But you can learn the other way around, and lots of talented musicians do play the "wrong" way

What you're describing is more a lack of basic strength and coordination for the specific, weird things guitar requires your hands to do. You'll get used to it!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Peetown Manning posted:

-Nothing happens at home, get out and play

Realtalk, how? I am not a socially awkward cave dweller, but I live in deepest suburbia and work 6am-7pm weekdays, half of whose evenings I have to go home to take care of my dog. I comute 3hrs per day already, and my play time is limited to 1.5-2hrs maximum at a stretch, 4-5 times per week.

I'm sure it makes sense, but how much of this is framed as someone who is a college/university student, or already frequents rock bars and clubs?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

It’s just a personal opinion and not a rule. Some people spend every night out playing in bands. Others never play live and spend all the would be live time recording. Whatever works for you.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Southern Heel posted:

Realtalk, how? I am not a socially awkward cave dweller, but I live in deepest suburbia and work 6am-7pm weekdays, half of whose evenings I have to go home to take care of my dog. I comute 3hrs per day already, and my play time is limited to 1.5-2hrs maximum at a stretch, 4-5 times per week.

I'm sure it makes sense, but how much of this is framed as someone who is a college/university student, or already frequents rock bars and clubs?

I would suggest posting on craigslist and/or checking it to see if anyone has already posted looking for people to jam with in your area. Or print something off and put it on the corkboard at the local starbucks or whatever. I guarantee you are far from the only person living in suburbia who is busy with work/life/parenting/whatever but also likes to play music and has nobody to play with.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Regarding improvement playing with others I think it is totally true. Maybe not required sometimes, like if you are playing solo, guitar and voice or just learning for fun but there are several things playing with others gives you that you can’t get at home. Here are some things that come to mine
- cues and responding to/from other people’s playing
- being pushed to play better by those better than you (a really important one, particularly with good drummers)
- realistic damage control of something bad happens on the bandstand and learning how to recover
- playing out of your home is always harder than in your home
- you realize what you *really* know and are capable of playing under pressure both technically and in terms of memorization

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

rio posted:

- you realize what you *really* know and are capable of playing under pressure both technically and in terms of memorization

This one is easy: nothing. :colbert:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lumpy posted:

This one is easy: nothing. :colbert:

I'd say it cuts both ways. When you practice by yourself you can find that you've pushed really far in some weird directions without understanding that what you were learning was actually pretty impressive. I remember playing with some better musicians and we were play some song that's a lot of strumming, I'd just went through all the justinguitar triad videos and I improvised chord voicings using different triads and everybody was really impressed. I was the worst guitar player in the room for sure, but when you put time into something you're not always going to realize whats going to stand out as talented until you play with people.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I haven't played with people in a long time because I got old so no one I know plays guitar anymore* and I'm too lazy to bother finding other dudes to play guitar with. That's why I am learning how to do it all myself.

*Or if they do still play guitar they haven't been keeping up with practicing and don't care to get better.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Spanish Manlove posted:

I haven't played with people in a long time because I got old so no one I know plays guitar anymore* and I'm too lazy to bother finding other dudes to play guitar with. That's why I am learning how to do it all myself.

*Or if they do still play guitar they haven't been keeping up with practicing and don't care to get better.

Ditto. Plus I have a lot of social anxiety that I used to combat with booze, but I can't do that any more, so solo noodling in the basement it is!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cheers to all of our one man black metal bands.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I don't have social anxiety, I'm just lazy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m an anxiety filled weirdo on the spectrum and don’t get much from being social in the first place so yeah it was destiny for me to not have a real live band.

guitar thread e/n content currently maxed out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah this is where I’m slowly getting too as well. At 34 it seems like all I can find are retired guys in their 60’s that actually wanna play. Everyone around my age is done playing for a while it seems.