Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Calling it the light bill is an old southern thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

opengl128 posted:

lol another one calling the power bill "lights". Me caveman me not know how magic lets me see at night.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

zaurg posted:

ok ok ok... everything. You were right about everything, April.

Except horses being a good investment. I'm learning the opposite is actually true. Never knew these people spend millions, literally millions of dollars on a show horse and let's just say they don't hold their value very well. This horse expert gf might have been a good choice on my part.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/i...g-up-2018-07-09

quote:

Dear Moneyist,

I supported my girlfriend during her recent studies. We are not married. She took 3 years from the inception of the program to finish, pass her board exams, and get her license to practice dental hygiene, despite the fact that it’s only supposed to be a 26-month program.

During this time, I paid the rent, utilities, food, entertainment, vacations, some medical expenses, toiletries, and other miscellaneous expenses.

Her mother covered some things for her, and her ability to take loans was restricted by previous undergraduate loans as well as lack of availability of federal loans due to use of grants in undergraduate.

Our relationship is unwinding. I have sacrificed greatly in order to provide for her. I could have paid for the remainder of my student loans, advanced my career by investing in continuing education and, of course, increasing my portfolio and retirement accounts.

Is there any legal recourse I can take when we break up, to receive reimbursement for my contributions to her living expenses? Despite me not paying a cent towards her actual degree, her living was majority financed by me (80% at a minimum). Her income is going to quadruple with her new job.

Restless in Maryland

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

n8r posted:

I own a 2002 Subaru Forester and a 2004 Honda Element, both are good reliable vehicles, but I've had an annoying string of repairs lately. Most of which are just due to the age / mileage of the vehicle, but I can see how you can easily just say gently caress it and decide you 'deserve' a reliable new car.

I think lots of times people get frustrated with their old cars, and are pretty impulsive when they decide to buy a new car.

Pro move is to have an extra older vehicle so when one needs repairs you have transport. Maintaining three older vehicles with the mileage of two being used is still cheaper than a new car.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bullshit. Bull loving poo poo. No way he's not just attention whoring and making poo poo up at this point.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

opengl128 posted:

lol another one calling the power bill "lights". Me caveman me not know how magic lets me see at night.

This is just a common colloquialism from the South, it doesn't really reflect on the individual

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

are you one of those people who gets really riled up when you see hispanic people speaking spanish too?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Pro move is to have an extra older vehicle so when one needs repairs you have transport. Maintaining three older vehicles with the mileage of two being used is still cheaper than a new car.

Do you rotate the same set of tires so one vehicle is on blocks in the yard?

I just found out my wife’s Buick has a burnt out headlight. No problem, I can fix that.

It’s a $300 part that requires me to remove the whole bumper. On a loving GM automobile!?!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

We call it the hydro bill. Makes even more sense.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

I just found out my wife’s Buick has a burnt out headlight. No problem, I can fix that.

It’s a $300 part that requires me to remove the whole bumper. On a loving GM automobile!?!

Actually I go one step farther and take the motor out so I can plant my garden in the engine bay.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Krispy Wafer posted:

There is usually a way to do it without removing the bumper by jamming your arm where it shouldn't go.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Elephanthead posted:

There is usually a way to do it without removing the bumper by jamming your arm where it shouldn't go.

Nice try, Mr. Goat.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Devonaut posted:

are you one of those people who gets really riled up when you see hispanic people speaking spanish too?
No, not at all.

Krispy Wafer posted:

What year Buick? I must see these shenanigans.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

n8r posted:

I own a 2002 Subaru Forester and a 2004 Honda Element, both are good reliable vehicles, but I've had an annoying string of repairs lately. Most of which are just due to the age / mileage of the vehicle, but I can see how you can easily just say gently caress it and decide you 'deserve' a reliable new car.

I think lots of times people get frustrated with their old cars, and are pretty impulsive when they decide to buy a new car.

If that Forester hasn't had its head gaskets replaced, you are in a fun time on that soon.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

CitizenKain posted:

If that Forester hasn't had its head gaskets replaced, you are in a fun time on that soon.
A fun time indeed. Do the headgaskets when you do the tbelt, the timing usually lines up. Unless this is a different engine than I'm thinking of, I don't know Subis that well... Some can get 2 tbelts per headgasket! (and I'm sure it varies)

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It would be very rare for a 2002 not to have gotten to head gasket age yet.

If you do need to replace them, the Subaru thread in AI has the part numbers you need for the good ones that won't go again.

The 2.5s had varying degrees of trouble with the gaskets, the forester had the 2.5. As it went on it got better, by 2010 they were completely fine.

Which is why the 2.2 was a better engine. Just saying. I never had any head gasket problems and I had it until 207.5k miles.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

No, not at all.
What year Buick? I must see these shenanigans.

2014 Buick-What-Every-Mom-Drives-In-School-Pick-Up-Lane.

It might be an articulating bulb. I have no idea except it’s expensive.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
question about avoiding co-signing
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/8xkcm5/question_about_avoiding_cosigning/

quote:

so long story short, i recently got a job that pays roughly 90k/yr after years of work. My parents take this as an opportunity to ask me to cosign for my younger brother's college loans. They're guilt tripping me by saying that they cosigned my loans for college and of course that makes me feel bad. I know how horrible an idea this is though and I was wondering if I froze all three of my credit reports (trasunion, experian and equifax), could I theoretically "cosign" for my parents and just get denied? I know if i get denied they wouldn't ask again.

Could this work? I would rather do this than have a prolonged confrontation with them about cosigning.
Oh em gee. Helping the parents with expenses, repaying the OPs own loans, those are one thing... Cosigning, totalllly different form of bad with money (and financial abuse).

Krispy Wafer posted:

2014 Buick-What-Every-Mom-Drives-In-School-Pick-Up-Lane.

It might be an articulating bulb. I have no idea except it’s expensive.
Lets move our OT over here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3827922&pagenumber=247#post485964114

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 10, 2018

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Guinness posted:

Also a lot of dumb dumbs conflate maintenance with repairs.

Why yes, your 2006 Toyota Corolla with 120k miles does need new tires and brakes. No, it does not mean the car is on its last legs.

Older cars do need more maintenance (and repairs), which is a minor annoyance, but it should mostly be something you can plan on and not get stranded on the side of the road by (unless you ignore it long enough). Pumping some maintenance dollars into an otherwise good older car is WAY cheaper than a new car. Even the occasional repair should be relatively cheap unless you've got an old Chrysler or something crapping out a transmission every six months.

My favourite car BWM story is from when I was studying in Ireland. The Economic Policy lecturer had a story about a friend of his buying a fully loaded (literally every option) Volvo XC-90 during ~celtic tiger~ real estate boom bubble right before the 2008 crisis.

About a year and a half later she got rid of it and bought a new car for 90k Euro. He asked her what was wrong with the old one. "It needed new tires." :psyduck:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/228451/world-record-priced-colt-the-green-monkey-euthanized

Bad with money: spend $16M on a racehorse for him to only earn $10k in prizes

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

This looks fun and likely to trigger a melt down :zaurg:

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Guinness posted:

Why yes, your 2006 Toyota Corolla with 120k miles does need new tires and brakes. No, it does not mean the car is on its last legs.

Someone I'm related to traded in a car because it was considered unreliable after it broke down.

It broke down when it ran out of fuel, which it was warning them was happening right until it ran out

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

TraderStav posted:

Or you can be like me, have two new vehicles and four old ones for ~reasons~

Annual registration is coming up and it's going to be over $900.

It's a slippery BWM slope.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
There always has to be some bad with driveways guy in the neighborhood that has 5 half functional cars (2 ~project~, 2 backup beaters, 1 econovan), a boat or RV, and a working 15 year old minivan. They always leave the biggest nonfunctional car or econovan in the street to maximize blind spots.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

howdoesishotweb posted:

There always has to be some bad with driveways guy in the neighborhood that has 5 half functional cars (2 ~project~, 2 backup beaters, 1 econovan), a boat or RV, and a working 15 year old minivan. They always leave the biggest nonfunctional car or econovan in the street to maximize blind spots.

I compete with the guy across the street from me. He has five cars, some usually not running and sitting in his driveway with a flat tire for months. We live in a pretty high end neighborhood for the area.

He also has a boat that caught fire last year. And maybe a horse.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
An affluent friend of mine's neighbor recently got a horse for his daughter. He tells him
"Man that is some rich person poo poo what are you doing"
Love it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Just to clarify, my point was to keep three running vehicles (one for each spouse and a spare) that aren't old beaters. Two primary nicer used cars and maybe a $6-8k sedan or pickup (can use it for those odd needs when your other cars are still working) and keep it parked in the street.

$7K can easily cover the depreciation of a new car in one year. As with all GWM, keep all of your vehicles well maintained.

Or just budget for car rental and don't be scared to use it.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Or live in the middle of a large city with decent public transit and use uber to fill in the rest.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Hoodwinker posted:

Or live in the middle of a large city with decent public transit and use uber to fill in the rest.

Detroit :negative:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Yeah how's that auto insurance bill on your 3+ cars in a city where the average annual car insurance cost is $5400?

Edit: It's $2600 for the rest of the state of Michigan, just so everyone understand how insane that is.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sirotan posted:

Yeah how's that auto insurance bill on your 3+ cars in a city where the average annual car insurance cost is $5400?

Edit: It's $2600 for the rest of the state of Michigan, just so everyone understand how insane that is.

Fair point, I'm more in the Ann Arbor suburbs than Detroit, but your point stands on insurance costs. My two vehicles are $2400/yr combined, '18 Volt and a '14 Explorer.

Just saying it's not the worst idea when compared to buying new cars/leasing all the time.

TraderStav fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 10, 2018

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

Far point, I'm more in the Ann Arbor suburbs than Detroit, but your point stands on insurance costs. My two vehicles are $2400/yr combined, '18 Volt and a '14 Explorer.

Just saying it's not the worst idea when compared to buying new cars/leasing all the time.

Holy crap. Is there a particular reason auto insurance rates are so high in Michigan? Comparing to Connecticut (where everything is expensive), '11 Mercedes and a '15 GMC is less than $1150 for the year.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sock The Great posted:

Holy crap. Is there a particular reason auto insurance rates are so high in Michigan? Comparing to Connecticut (where everything is expensive), '11 Mercedes and a '15 GMC is less than $1150 for the year.

No-fault state. It's awful. The city is even worse, but that's driven by a LOT of real factors on top of that.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sock The Great posted:

Yes:

quote:

Michigan’s unique no-fault car insurance system is what causes the high annual car insurance rates.

Other no-fault states place a limit on the amount of personal injury protection (PIP) a person can receive through their auto insurance.

Michigan’s PIP policy guarantees unlimited lifetime medical benefits to those injured in an auto accident. This coverage also extends to passengers who don’t have their own PIP insurance.

Car insurance companies pay up to $555,000 in PIP in Michigan then the nonprofit Michigan Catastrophic Claim Association covers medical expenses exceeding that limit.

Michigan drivers help fund the MCCA by paying an annual assessment fee through their car insurance. The current assessment is set at $170 per vehicle.

Also Detroit has a shitload of vehicle thefts and carjackings which make insurance there generally more expensive than the rest of the state.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Jesus Christ. I got my policy renewal for my wife's care last week and for 6 months it's 180 dollars for a 50/100/50 plus uninsured and medical. All together we pay 70 bucks a month. I can't imagine a 5500 dollar policy per year :stare:

Co-workers ex girlfriend was near there with an sr22 and 3 at fault accidents in under a year. I can't imagine how you get it that high in my area that's insane.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Jesus Christ. I got my policy renewal for my wife's care last week and for 6 months it's 180 dollars for a 50/100/50 plus uninsured and medical. All together we pay 70 bucks a month. I can't imagine a 5500 dollar policy per year :stare:

Co-workers ex girlfriend was near there with an sr22 and 3 at fault accidents in under a year. I can't imagine how you get it that high in my area that's insane.

To be fair and to put it in context, the large majority of the population in SE Michigan does NOT live in the City limits of Detroit. I'd say around 15% of the 4.5 million people do. Also, there's a large population of the residents of Detroit who do not own cars, so they are not impacted. It's a problem, but not this gigantic anchor around everyone's neck.

The suburbs do pay higher premiums than similar areas in other metropolitan areas for sure, but paying $2k/year for 2 cars is about the norm and that's for newer cars.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
https://www.economist.com/united-states/2018/07/05/why-detroit-is-the-most-expensive-city-in-america-to-buy-car-insurance

Here's a link to a recent economist article on it, shitshow from top to bottom. Bonus fun: "Good numbers are understandably difficult to come by, but it is now estimated that up to 60% of Detroiters drive without insurance."

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Nthing, our 2 cars in Detroit suburbs are $4k a year. It sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

thekeeshman posted:

https://www.economist.com/united-states/2018/07/05/why-detroit-is-the-most-expensive-city-in-america-to-buy-car-insurance

Here's a link to a recent economist article on it, shitshow from top to bottom. Bonus fun: "Good numbers are understandably difficult to come by, but it is now estimated that up to 60% of Detroiters drive without insurance."

What happens when the rest stop buying? It seems like the current cost trend is actively going up rapidly still, and at $10k/year I bet they approach zero compliance.