Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Has anyone else had a problem where the camera seems to slip into the level geometry until you get it back to the right spot? Its making delves and dungeons really annoying.

Yes, it's been happening to me a lot, and only since last week's update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Has anyone else had a problem where the camera seems to slip into the level geometry until you get it back to the right spot? Its making delves and dungeons really annoying.

I have had this happen as well.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Whew, I was starting to worry about my GPU. Glad its not just me.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought i was the only one, I've been getting those on a lot of solo dungeons and buildings.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w
I've gotten it and seems to persist even if I leave the building/dungeon/whatever and go back in. Only logging out and back in seems to fix it.

Similar thing i get is when I log out by the stables in wrothgar, when i log back in most of the gate nearby is invisible.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
The free ESO Plus thingy begins tomorrow, and that means all accounts will have access all the DLC zones. All DLC zones except the Imperial City have a freebie item you unlock for your account just by visiting the DLC in question. Here's a list of everything nice you can get while the promotion's going:

DLC freebies posted:

Assassin {personality}: Visit Anvil in the Gold Coast
Bull Horns (emote): Visit Falkreath Hold or Bloodroot Forge dungeons
Echalette (pet): Visit Orsinium in Wrothgar
Heroic (personality): Visit Ruins of Mazzatun or Cradle of Shadows dungeons
Jackal (pet): Visit Abah's Landing in Hew's Bane
Renegade Dragon Priest Mask (hat): Visit Scalecaller Peak or Fang Lair dungeons
Scintillant Dovah-Fly (pet): Visit the Brass Fortress in the Clockwork City

"Personalities" alter your character's animations, especially their idle animations. Pets and mounts double as furniture you can place in houses, so those pets have extra uses.

Also, don't forget that you can freely dye your costumes and costume hats with ESO plus up!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
I now have enough characters to require a scroll bar.

:stonk:
:cry:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

zjentohlauedy posted:

I've gotten it and seems to persist even if I leave the building/dungeon/whatever and go back in. Only logging out and back in seems to fix it.

Similar thing i get is when I log out by the stables in wrothgar, when i log back in most of the gate nearby is invisible.

I've had this happen in the past, I think it's an issue with specific assets not loading correctly, though I'm not sure what triggered it. At first I though my gfx card was dying and/or overheating as those are definitely symptoms of that.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
:lol: Werewolves pulling 55k DPS with light attacks only on PTS. (With Relequen equipped)

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

And didn't they just change it so WW duration is maintained through dealing damage instead of taking it?

Shoot, looks like I made a stamsorc for nothing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
How often does stuff on day 1 PTS actually launch like that?

mem
Sep 1, 2005
Same problem on the geometry for me. I just bought the game and was doing the frozen man cave on Bleakrock Isle and its uhhh... not doable.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Blockhouse posted:

How often does stuff on day 1 PTS actually launch like that?

Whenever bigger changes are made the first week of PTS is usually a shitshow with all sorts of broken mechanics. I can't imagine it would go live like this. If it did, trials would be filled with little more than werewolves - some other guy posted a 70k+ parse when decked out in trial gear and actually using a rotation beyond just light attacking.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So switching from heavy armor and sword & shield to leveling up bow and two weapons while wearing medium armor at the recommendation of people in the guild is... a frustrating experience. I think I've died more today just wandering around doing quests than I have the entire last month.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

8one6 posted:

So switching from heavy armor and sword & shield to leveling up bow and two weapons while wearing medium armor at the recommendation of people in the guild is... a frustrating experience. I think I've died more today just wandering around doing quests than I have the entire last month.

Maybe try farming Dolmens for a few hours? I did that to level up my healing skills so I didn’t have to make random pubbies suffer.

Edit: typically I despise grinding, but something about running dolmens with 40 other people makes it a unique experience.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
The Alik'r dolmen train never sleeps.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If I tend to like sorta "melee mage"-type builds, is there a class that would be the best starting place? I know that magicka builds tend to be ranged and stamina ones tend to be melee, but I thought it'd be worth seeing if there's like a melee-range magicka build out there somewhere.

Alternatively, I'm kind of curious about tanking in this. The stamina DPS builds I've seen don't really interest me because they all seem rather samey (from a newbie's perspective), with the same sort of bow skills, caltrops, that kind of thing. But I know I've seen at least one build for a staff-wielding ice tank, and given the more action-focused combat in this than in something like WoW I might end up enjoying tanking a lot. Is tanking something that's needed in most PvE stuff? Is soloing as a tank fun or would I end up being frustrated over slow kill times?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Harrow posted:

If I tend to like sorta "melee mage"-type builds, is there a class that would be the best starting place? I know that magicka builds tend to be ranged and stamina ones tend to be melee, but I thought it'd be worth seeing if there's like a melee-range magicka build out there somewhere.

Alternatively, I'm kind of curious about tanking in this. The stamina DPS builds I've seen don't really interest me because they all seem rather samey (from a newbie's perspective), with the same sort of bow skills, caltrops, that kind of thing. But I know I've seen at least one build for a staff-wielding ice tank, and given the more action-focused combat in this than in something like WoW I might end up enjoying tanking a lot. Is tanking something that's needed in most PvE stuff? Is soloing as a tank fun or would I end up being frustrated over slow kill times?

do not level as a tank, level as stamina or magicka dps (magicka allows you to heal or dps depending on what skills you slot) and then swap to tank later.

PvE stuff that requires a tank depends on who's running. If you're running a normal dungeon you generally do not need a tank unless you're running with a bunch of new people with bad gear, low level, don't know how to play, etc (this does not hold true for most DLC dungeons, which are harder and often require a tank), veteran dungeons generally require a tank, and trials (raids) always do.

If you're with a group that has good gear, knows what they're doing, you do not need a tank for most normal content (I can solo pretty much every normal dungeon with my stamsorc, as can others with various classes), some vet dungeons can be done without tanks or even solo (city of ash is the one offhand I can think of, I think a few others as well).

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Melee mage is difficult to pull off because for magicka DPS you're going to want to use at least 5 pieces of light armor, and you'd have to deal with being fragile at close range. People used to use dual wield with magicka DPS only because the Twin Blade & Blunt passive with dual swords gives you a % increase to all damage you deal, and I want to say you could still pull this off if you did a Siphoning-focused Nightblade for the self-heals, but you'd still be avoiding the obvious best weapon choices for a gimmick build that wouldn't allow you much room for experimentation, and you wouldn't be getting anything out of Dual Wield except that one good passive skill, which is the last thing in the skill tree that you unlock.

Stamsorc can sort of feel like a melee mage while still being a stam build, especially if you're using Hurricane and Overload, and if you use certain equipment sets like Stormfist.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jul 11, 2018

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Harrow posted:

Magicka dragonknight is very much a melee mage build as all the DK spells are melee or very short range. Annulment from the light armor tree and the DK selfheal gives you all the survivability you'll ever need.

Never level as tank.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magicka Dragonknight does seem really cool with all those flame whips and fire breath attacks.

I think I'm probably a little too sensitive to things like "every stamina build uses the same bow attacks and caltrops" than I should be but man, those are clearly insanely good if literally every build uses them :v:

I'll probably level something with magicka, then. If not magicka DK, then maybe something that also has some good support for healing, since I do enjoy healing, too.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Harrow posted:

Magicka Dragonknight does seem really cool with all those flame whips and fire breath attacks.

I think I'm probably a little too sensitive to things like "every stamina build uses the same bow attacks and caltrops" than I should be but man, those are clearly insanely good if literally every build uses them :v:

I'll probably level something with magicka, then. If not magicka DK, then maybe something that also has some good support for healing, since I do enjoy healing, too.

Magicka DK is crazy fun, and probably my favorite DPS build. You can do some healing if you want, just put a Resto Staff on your backbar (though honestly, it'll take some of the joy away from burning the world down; just stick with two inferno staves and cackling madly). Definitely go either Dunmer or Altmer for your race - Dunmer will give you more damage & an excuse to go Vampire, Altmer will give you more sustainability.

Remember to use an outfit station to make yourself appear to be in Heavy Armor for the full melee mage experience :science: (you may also want to look into getting a Militant Ordinator staff motif, since they look like giant 2H axes)

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 11, 2018

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
DPS magicka dragonknight is my favorite build, yet I never even thought of it as a melee mage. I guess it kinda is—but going from playing stamsorc to that, it sure didn't feel like it.

Edit: May as well repost this from last year. I should record more of these, because I've since made significant improvements in my play, like kinda figuring out light attack weaving, and not forgetting what skill bar I'm on. And I finally noticed I'd forgotten to put magicka enchantments on my head and shoulder pieces, oh, three weeks ago.

Rollersnake posted:

Soloing group bosses as a stamsorc is fun, but you know what really feels badass? Soloing group bosses as a glass cannon magicka Dragonknight wearing almost all light armor, and using no potions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9jLqXDWpOQ

I actually hosed up quite a bit here (I blame lag in addition to my own stupidity) but still pulled through. Harness Magicka + Coagulating Blood is amazing.

If nothing else, here I'm showing off how much you can get knocked around and still not die. :v:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 11, 2018

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Hell yeah, magicka DK it is :black101: Time to burn everything to the ground

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
You'll still use an inferno staff, but just do it up close!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rollersnake posted:

If nothing else, here I'm showing off how much you can get knocked around and still not die. :v:

Every magicka user tho. Really the only squishy group in ESO is medium armor wearers.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Someone help me I'm spending hundreds of thousands of gold playing virtual barbie. My latest:

Also this thread needs more pretty princess pictures.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Hakarne posted:

Someone help me I'm spending hundreds of thousands of gold playing virtual barbie. My latest:

Sapiarch helmet, Hlaalu chest and legs, Militant Ordinator shoulders, Worm Cult gauntlets and boots.

I share your sickness.

edit: My current roster

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jul 12, 2018

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Coldforge posted:

Sapiarch helmet, Hlaalu chest and legs, Militant Ordinator shoulders, Worm Cult gauntlets and boots.

I share your sickness.

edit: My current roster

Yep, you called it. Also, that's a hell of a roster you have there!

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Could I get a guild invite for @Rainbow_Knight?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

mem posted:

Same problem on the geometry for me. I just bought the game and was doing the frozen man cave on Bleakrock Isle and its uhhh... not doable.

I really hope they fix this bug soon.

Hakarne posted:

Anoline Sane, magsorc, formerly stamsorc

Cleans-the-Bones, mag dk, formerly stam dk, formerly mag dk

Amused-to-Death, magblade

Fills-Many-Jars, magplar

Falls-Through-Ice, mag warden

Shoots-Up, stam warden

Juventius Taurinus, some nerd

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 12, 2018

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I'm a little surprised no one mentioned Mag Templar for close-range magic DPS. You're constantly stabbing things with your spear, and that means being in melee range.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I do like spears. I assume it's a spell, given that I think all magicka builds use staves?

So now it's a question of which I want to burn things with: fire or light

Although I think I want to play a dunmer and the bonus to flame damage seems like it would be very nice for a DK

Harrow fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jul 12, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I’ve been getting the disappearing interior bug since the patch pretty regularly. Someone said that they thought it had to do with video ram but I’m getting hit hard with it and have a gtx1080. I hope they fix it soon because in some areas it makes quests/delves unplayable and whatever is causing it was introduced in the last patch. Assuming they know how to fix it how often do they do patches? It’d be nice to expect roughly how long we are dealing with this

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Harrow posted:

I do like spears. I assume it's a spell, given that I think all magicka builds use staves?

Fashion Barbie tip: if you use High Elf staff 1 on your outfit, it kinda looks like a spear too.

Maximum fashion/skill synergy imo.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
Any tricks to getting this game to run at a decent framerate? I'm running a 1080 and it struggles to break 45 fps (and is regularly 30 fps in town) @ 1440 on Medium settings.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Harrow posted:

There’s the option of going StamPlar. You’ll still get the stabby spear (it has a stamina morph), but you’ll also be able to hit squishy things with other, sharper things instead of staves.

Edit: you also get to heal yourself by draining the still-lingering souls from recently made corpses, which is the kind of insult to injury additive I approve of.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 12, 2018

rio
Mar 20, 2008

sevenflow posted:

Any tricks to getting this game to run at a decent framerate? I'm running a 1080 and it struggles to break 45 fps (and is regularly 30 fps in town) @ 1440 on Medium settings.

That doesn’t sound right at all - what is your cpu? I’m on a 1080 as well and running max graphics with no issues.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

How much does faction matter these days?

Coldforge posted:

There’s the option of going StamPlar. You’ll still get the stabby spear (it has a stamina morph), but you’ll also be able to hit squishy things with other, sharper things instead of staves.

Edit: you also get to heal yourself by draining the still-lingering souls from recently made corpses, which is the kind of insult to injury additive I approve of.

Aw man that sounds cool as hell, too. I'm a fan of MagDK's whole "just burn everything to ash" approach, but I also love a spear-of-light, Paladin-ish self-sustain thing and I also enjoy healing so if I switched over to magicka Templar I'd be able to do that.

I'm sure I'll level more than one thing but what to start with is hard :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second

rio posted:

That doesn’t sound right at all - what is your cpu? I’m on a 1080 as well and running max graphics with no issues.

- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X
- i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz
- 16GB DDR4-2400

(also on an SSD, if it matters.)

I'm running a higher resolution (1440), and using G-Sync, but I can't imagine that's causing such a large hit.