Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I am pretty irritated that I spend the past hour and a half watching Super Troopers 2. It's just so aggressively uninteresting. All it is is the characters saying "hey remember that joke we made in the first one?", with some tired "lol Canada" jokes sprinkled in.
Well, if the past 17 years have shown us anything, it's that Broken Lizard sucks and Super Troopers was a fluke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Peeny Cheez posted:

Well, if the past 17 years have shown us anything, it's that Broken Lizard sucks and Super Troopers was a fluke.

Beerfest is okay, especially if you're drinking

But yeaaaaaaah they're not actually that talented or funny

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I saw ST2 yesterday too. It didn’t make me laugh once.

To me, the thing about Super Troopers, Anchorman and Zoolander sorts of comedies is that the concept itself is funny, making the characters fun and original. Staple in a sequel with the same, now unoriginal, concept and it’s going to be bland.

There was no way to make a good Super Troopers 2.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I got thirty minutes into Zoolander 2, thought I was an hour and a half in, and shut it off. I never shut movies off but holy poo poo what an intensely unfunny movie. The only good joke I saw was how the Derek Zoolander School For Kids Who Want To Read Good burned down because they made it out of the same materials as the model.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Mu Zeta posted:

The final battle in Guy Ritchie's King Arthur is straight out of Dark Souls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-XLWdMOMIU

Me, from last year while doing my first playthrough of Witcher III

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I watched the Guy Ritchie 'King Arthur' the other night and it had a bit of a Witcher-y vibe; 'low fantasy', a grimy city setting, a sorceress, a mad king, magic swords, a destiny quest, big rear end bad guys with big swords at the end. If you're stuck for entertainment you might dig it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I got thirty minutes into Zoolander 2, thought I was an hour and a half in, and shut it off. I never shut movies off but holy poo poo what an intensely unfunny movie. The only good joke I saw was how the Derek Zoolander School For Kids Who Want To Read Good burned down because they made it out of the same materials as the model.

Zoolander was obviously going to suck from the trailer, where Zoolander misunderstands the title "Zoolander II" as 'zoolander eye eye', and not 'Zoolander eleven'.

If they mess up easy gags like that (even if the better version still isn't that funny), I can't imagine how badly the rest of the humor flops

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Man, the narrator really ruins Idiocracy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

Man, the narrator really ruins Idiocracy.

While everything could be improved, Idiocracy isn't a ruin, so this must be false

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Bloop posted:

While everything could be improved, Idiocracy isn't a ruin, so this must be false

Idiocracy has its faults but Rupert Murdoch shut that poo poo down when he saw what happened to his Beloved Fox News Journalists(tm)

So it didn't get finished and was left to lie on the floor of two different theaters.

Two of them, nice release.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

It and Anchorman 2 had quite a few good jokes like Hansel getting an orgy that included Keifer Sutherland pregnant. The problem is that a few good jokes don't make an entire movie. You could feel their hearts just weren't in it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Push El Burrito posted:

It and Anchorman 2 had quite a few good jokes like Hansel getting an orgy that included Keifer Sutherland pregnant. The problem is that a few good jokes don't make an entire movie. You could feel their hearts just weren't in it.

Seems the epitome of too little too late.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

Adam McKay wasn't interested in making Anchorman 2, he only did it because it let him make The Big Short.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I never watched Anchorman 2 but I enjoyed watching the even more exaggerated newsmen brawl on youtube. They should've just made that.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

syscall girl posted:

Idiocracy has its faults but Rupert Murdoch shut that poo poo down when he saw what happened to his Beloved Fox News Journalists(tm)

So it didn't get finished and was left to lie on the floor of two different theaters.

What?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upbiV8NOUb0

it was released in 2 theaters

Unfinished with all the polish off and looking and sounding idk

can you solve the mystery?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Samuringa posted:

I never watched Anchorman 2 but I enjoyed watching the even more exaggerated newsmen brawl on youtube. They should've just made that.

When I saw it on youtube, I couldn't help but cringe. The original executed it in a way that felt natural, while that one felt forced and also trying to hard to top the first.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the top of sequels to cult comedies: Hot Tub Time Machine 2. That movie had almost no heart to it and actually like it was a mean-spirited sequel and I really think it was a rushed script for filming and not the original plan for the movie. I think once they realized they weren't getting Cusack back and they weren't getting a big budget, they weren't going to waste the material.

But in terms of comedy sequels, I get the 'resetting' is a thing, though. That the first film will have something in it that audience will really connect with and even if they move past it by the end of that movie, the sequel brings it back around and doubles down on it and the characters didn't learn a thing. But at some point it feels like a parody of itself than something unique.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

I am pretty irritated that I spend the past hour and a half watching Super Troopers 2. It's just so aggressively uninteresting. All it is is the characters saying "hey remember that joke we made in the first one?", with some tired "lol Canada" jokes sprinkled in.

They had new / built on jokes from the first but alot of jokes were basically I bet you thought we were gonna do the same joke from the first one we arent. Trolling an expecting audience is funny to me so i liked it.

I like broken lizard to much. the only move that is meh to me is club dread

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

snergle posted:

They had new / built on jokes from the first but alot of jokes were basically I bet you thought we were gonna do the same joke from the first one we arent. Trolling an expecting audience is funny to me so i liked it.

I like broken lizard to much. the only move that is meh to me is club dread

The problem was the new jokes were bad jokes. It was mostly just "canadians are polite and say eh a lot" and "french accents are hilarious right" etc. To me it was one of the most disappointing comedy movie sequels I've seen. I would say most, but those sequels to Dumb and Dumber exist.

keeper
Jun 5, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Beerfest is okay, especially if you're drinking

But yeaaaaaaah they're not actually that talented or funny

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
The type of comedies that are Super Troopers and others tend to build up way more pre-release hype than box office rewards, but they'll sometimes find a second life in the home video market.

I remember when Pick of Destiny was getting hyped to all hell and back by just about everyone a decade ago just to have it mostly fade in and out of theaters with under $10M.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

The problem was the new jokes were bad jokes. It was mostly just "canadians are polite and say eh a lot" and "french accents are hilarious right" etc. To me it was one of the most disappointing comedy movie sequels I've seen. I would say most, but those sequels to Dumb and Dumber exist.

I thought alot of the new humor was mostly at highlighting absurdities in canadian society. Like the ex hockey strip club owner mayor. A politician was pretty much that in canada. They also built on old jokes like the liter of cola then the canadian shenanigans actually having it and then farva uping the ante to 10 liters of cola for free desert. The part I didn't like was them pretending to be the mounties that was 100% rehash. Youre not wrong alot of jokes are just LOL @ canadian / french canandian accents. but even those jokes had some gems like will sasso pretending to not know that danny devito is frank reynolds.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

syscall girl posted:

One of the great little jokes in Idiocracy is that while everything else becomes dumber, Fox News more or less stays the same because it was already pretty dumb.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

One of the great little jokes in Idiocracy is that while everything else becomes dumber, Fox News more or less stays the same because it was already pretty dumb.

I never thought of that

I haven't seen it in years because some people were saying it's Mike Judge, who is a known racist, misogynist, probably a homophobe

Well you see these characters are so profoundly dumb they are all black just listen for the dogwhistle

Which begs the question, whaddya think about black people

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That's not what begs the question means, ignoring the rest of the post

At least, I think.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

That's not what begs the question means, ignoring the rest of the post

At least, I think.

I also didn't know that.

Instead of me being "rude" to you be bored to tears with https://stancarey.wordpress.com/2010/02/16/descriptivism-vs-prescriptivism-war-is-over-if-you-want-it/

And this http://www.txstate.edu/philosophy/resources/fallacy-definitions/Begging-the-Question.html

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
but also be prepared for my lecture on moot

:wink:

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Idiocracy is too mean spirited. The concept of rampant consumerism and shallow media creating a world of idiots is okay, but the film's never clear about what it is supposed to be criticising. It's not just Walmart and Fox that get made fun of, but also a whole bunch of cultural signifiers that the film thinks are just 'dumb', no explanation necessary.

Don't have the tastes of a middle- to high income household? Sorry, but you're clearly lacking in intelligence for not liking the things I like. Watching it feels like being stuck with an elitist, arrogant highschool kid who's sure he's edgy as gently caress, has everything figured out and thinks everything he doesn't like is dumb.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Idiocracy is too mean spirited. The concept of rampant consumerism and shallow media creating a world of idiots is okay, but the film's never clear about what it is supposed to be criticising. It's not just Walmart and Fox that get made fun of, but also a whole bunch of cultural signifiers that the film thinks are just 'dumb', no explanation necessary.

Don't have the tastes of a middle- to high income household? Sorry, but you're clearly lacking in intelligence for not liking the things I like. Watching it feels like being stuck with an elitist, arrogant highschool kid who's sure he's edgy as gently caress, has everything figured out and thinks everything he doesn't like is dumb.

Also, the fact that the movie's message seems to be "eugenics is the only way to save mankind" is.....problematic.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I'm not being sarcastic when I say you have an interesting thing going here and so does Metal Geir Skogul

I know nothing Jarn shnow but yeah genetics doesn't work that way, there's a more relevant thing going on. And it's not epigenetics

It's that I hate my ignorant nephew cosplaying as hitaro and slenderman

Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more
worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more
corrupt.

I'm a grumpy old idiot before 40

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

syscall girl posted:

I'm not being sarcastic when I say you have an interesting thing going here and so does Metal Geir Skogul

I know nothing Jarn shnow but yeah genetics doesn't work that way, there's a more relevant thing going on. And it's not epigenetics

It's that I hate my ignorant nephew cosplaying as hitaro and slenderman

Our sires' age was worse than our grandsires'. We, their sons, are more
worthless than they; so in our turn we shall give the world a progeny yet more
corrupt.

I'm a grumpy old idiot before 40

Hey, I can relate. And I don't think Mike Judge was intentionally trying to say we should stop the poor from breeding. If anything, I think the intended message was that you shouldn't always peddle to the lowest common denominator because everyone deserves better than that. And that's a cool thing to say, even if the message gets horribly mangled in the execution. Or you could make a pretty good point about it being satire on babyboomer nightmares.

But if I want to watch a weird future where all our small shortcomings have run wildly out of control, then Futurama blows Idiocracy out of the water.

Because sometimes, you know, nobody wants to live on this planet anymore.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sobatchja Morda posted:

Hey, I can relate. And I don't think Mike Judge was intentionally trying to say we should stop the poor from breeding. If anything, I think the intended message was that you shouldn't always peddle to the lowest common denominator because everyone deserves better than that. And that's a cool thing to say, even if the message gets horribly mangled in the execution. Or you could make a pretty good point about it being satire on babyboomer nightmares.

But if I want to watch a weird future where all our small shortcomings have run wildly out of control, then Futurama blows Idiocracy out of the water.

Because sometimes, you know, nobody wants to live on this planet anymore.

I think we're all doing our parts to end the penguin menace from here but you fight it your way

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x59xlei

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Alhazred posted:

Also, the fact that the movie's message seems to be "eugenics is the only way to save mankind" is.....problematic.

Huh? It's literally Average Joe that saves mankind from five centuries of increasing corporate dominance of the planet.

Unless you only watch the first five minutes, it's pretty blatant with how it pokes fun at people that think they're smart and that the working class are somehow beneath them. The people that considered themselves to be better than others literally die out because they devoted their lives to enriching their bosses.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

Huh? It's literally Average Joe that saves mankind from five centuries of increasing corporate dominance of the planet.

Unless you only watch the first five minutes, it's pretty blatant with how it pokes fun at people that think they're smart and that the working class are somehow beneath them. The people that considered themselves to be better than others literally die out because they devoted their lives to enriching their bosses.

How can you take this:
As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.
And not interpret it as favoring eugenics?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Alhazred posted:

How can you take this:
As the 21st century began, human evolution was at a turning point. Natural selection, the process by which the strongest, the smartest, the fastest, reproduced in greater numbers than the rest, a process which had once favored the noblest traits of man, now began to favor different traits. Most science fiction of the day predicted a future that was more civilized and more intelligent. But as time went on, things seemed to be heading in the opposite direction. A dumbing down. How did this happen? Evolution does not necessarily reward intelligence. With no natural predators to thin the herd, it began to simply reward those who reproduced the most, and left the intelligent to become an endangered species.
And not interpret it as favoring eugenics?

Yeah like I said, if you only watch the first five minutes of the film, in which that narration occurs, I can see why you'd think that.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Quote-Unquote posted:

Yeah like I said, if you only watch the first five minutes of the film, in which that narration occurs, I can see why you'd think that.

Nothing in the rest of the movie contradicts it though.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Seriously.

It's all about how "average Joes" are breeding humanity into a literally retarded future because the noble white intelligent people are culturifying themselves instead of getting drunk and popping out ten welfare babies in their trailer homes.

It is not a good movie.

Probably why it took off so hard with all the teen libertarians in college who are so drat sure of their own superiority and sneer at anyone who works blue collar and stopped their education at high school.

EDIT: Not the first five minutes, but the final 20 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iDGM76KoEk

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 13:21 on Jul 10, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

its just classic eugenics poo poo repackaged as comedy

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Alhazred posted:

Nothing in the rest of the movie contradicts it though.

Apart from the rest of the movie, where literally Average Joe is the only one capable of stopping the corporate monstrosity the supposedly intelligent people killed themselves to create, sure.

Unless you're saying it's in favour of eugenics to eliminate 'intelligent' people? It's a stretch.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Probably why it took off so hard with all the teen libertarians in college who are so drat sure of their own superiority and sneer at anyone who works blue collar and stopped their education at high school.

The film is explicitly mocking these people, though.

This is like saying Fight Club is a bad film because teen libertarians in college also liked it despite missing the point entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Seriously.

It's all about how "average Joes" are breeding humanity into a literally retarded future because the noble white intelligent people are culturifying themselves instead of getting drunk and popping out ten welfare babies in their trailer homes.

It is not a good movie.

EDIT: Not the first five minutes, but the final 20 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iDGM76KoEk

It is clearly you who are smartest.

I bet you don't know any white people or own a television.

Or any black people. Congrats