Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

"Booger" is a southern colloquialism for "ghost", like in "Boogeyman".

Dunno if that's what the movie is going for, but since it's about a southern reptile eating people, that's probably why.

I jokingly used the word “haint” in a conversation recently and had to explain it to a group of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Alligator and Alligator II: The Mutation both whip rear end, and if you disagree with me, I will wrestle you in a loving swamp.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I never seen part 2 so I should maybe rectify that.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I have a double DVD of the alligator films somewhere it’s been far to long since I have them a watch!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

How many of those lake placid movies did they make? I'm pretty sure I saw the first one in theaters but the only recollection I have is establishing shots of a lake.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

How many of those lake placid movies did they make? I'm pretty sure I saw the first one in theaters but the only recollection I have is establishing shots of a lake.

How can anyone watch Lake Placid and forget the helicopter cow scene? If I see that scene under the right circumstances, I can't stop laughing.

To answer your question, there's like four or something, plus crossovers.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Lurdiak posted:

I know they recently made a Lake Placid vs. Anaconda. So that's... something.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

How can anyone watch Lake Placid and forget the helicopter cow scene? If I see that scene under the right circumstances, I can't stop laughing.

I don't know, maybe it's just the mindset I was in when I saw it. I remember similarly little about the Inspector Gadget film, even though that should be memorably bad.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Franchescanado posted:

"Booger" is a southern colloquialism for "ghost", like in "Boogeyman".

Dunno if that's what the movie is going for, but since it's about a southern reptile eating people, that's probably why.

Not to be confused with their Coloradoan counterparts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ge-h0BFozFk

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Burkion posted:

Wait wait, Shudder Channel is free? is that on Amazon or something?

No, the website has an ad-supported streaming component where they stream their movies and shows and you don't need a subscription for it. Shudder is still $5 either through their website or Amazon.

But Joe Bob is going to be streaming live from their website on the 13th, on the aforementioned stream. It's called Shudder TV: https://www.shudder.com/shudder-tv

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

The best animal attack movie also has the best title ever.....Sssssss!

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Lake placid is really good+funny but I haven’t seen any of the sequels, I assume they’re terrible

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What was the one I showed that was about the worms.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Shudder really needs a host to intro the quality flicks on the site, like a gothed up Robert Osbourne.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hollismason posted:

What was the one I showed that was about the worms.

Squirm.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Shudder really needs a host to intro the quality flicks on the site, like a gothed up Robert Osbourne.

Barbara Crampton

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

Name one thing the remake does better than the original. Like it's not the worst movie ever made but it has nothing to offer, either.

The score.

Maybe. I dunno. The remake rules you grump.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

anton y, colin farrel and david tenant are all cool and good. Fright Night remake is pretty great

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Counterpoint: meh

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i just watched the trailer for this and it was terrific. gonna watch it tonight

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

alf_pogs posted:

i just watched the trailer for this and it was terrific. gonna watch it tonight

Don't.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

So Tremors: Cold Day In Hell was pretty ok. Could still take or leave Kennedy. But at least he's getting work

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Finally caught up on this thread, after reading who knows how many pages. To show my appreciation to all you fine folks I will give a recommendation and a warning...

I'm reading Men, Women and Chainsaws by Carol Clover and it is flipping excellent. Definitely on the academic side of film criticism but some really interesting stuff re:gender in horror.

I watched Incubus starring John Cassavetes today on Prime and it stunk out loud. Can't decide if it wants to be a slasher or possession film and treads the line between the two in an aggressively boring fashion. Also Cassavetes seemed to want to gently caress his own daughter? but like every other sideplot there really is no resolution to that

Any other good books on horror movies? I tend to prefer broad works that cover entire genres, rather than books focused on one film or series.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Any other good books on horror movies? I tend to prefer broad works that cover entire genres, rather than books focused on one film or series.

Stephen King's Danse Macabre if you haven't read it. It's old enough that it doesn't cover a lot of great stuff that's come out since then, though. It's about horror as a genre though including books.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Finally caught up on this thread, after reading who knows how many pages. To show my appreciation to all you fine folks I will give a recommendation and a warning...

I'm reading Men, Women and Chainsaws by Carol Clover and it is flipping excellent. Definitely on the academic side of film criticism but some really interesting stuff re:gender in horror.

I watched Incubus starring John Cassavetes today on Prime and it stunk out loud. Can't decide if it wants to be a slasher or possession film and treads the line between the two in an aggressively boring fashion. Also Cassavetes seemed to want to gently caress his own daughter? but like every other sideplot there really is no resolution to that

Going to Pieces: The Rise and Fall of the Slasher Film, w. Rockoff
Nightmare Movies, w. Newman
The American Nightmare, w. Wood
The Naked and the Undead: Evil and the Appeal of Horror, w. Freeland

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007
Thanks guys. Added those to my list. My wonderful mother bought me Room to Dream by David Lynch, so I'll probably dive into that next.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

SPLATTER CAPITAL

read SPLATTER CAPITAL

or don't

i mean im not the boss of you

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Alligator is amazing, it's got a scene in it where the titular Gator crashes a wedding, a kid getting eaten scene that seems specifically designed to out-cruel the one in Jaws, and of all things, a really good reference to the The Third Man

I went through a period years ago of trying to watch a bunch of Crocodile/Gator movies. Tobe Hooper's Crocodile is pretty bad, but has a couple of cool ideas, it's sequel Crocodile 2: Death Roll was still bad but maybe slightly better, which was surprising. The most surreal however was Krocodylus (Blood Surf in the UK) which does weird things like inter-cut a woman having sex with her parents getting eaten.

HeavingGirth
Oct 6, 2014

Jeff Wiiver posted:

A professor lent me that book for a paper in college and I adored it. I need to get my own copy at some point. A couple years ago, I read a book called J-Horror: The Definitive Guide to The Ring, The Grudge, and Beyond. Parts of it were dry and a little dated, but the author is very thorough in their love of J-Horror. Found some more obscure movies to watch through that book. For some reason, I remember the author disliking Koji Shiraishi, which I don't agree with at all though.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Tangentially related but all this Alligator talk is reminding me of this video where some redneck throws a piece of meat into the pen of several Gators and one, in excitement, chomps down on another's leg and does the death roll and takes the leg clean off. The absurdity of the now de-legged gator just completely confused while the redneck screams, "What did you do! Oh no, what did you do, you loving idiot! That was your brother's leg!"

Strangely horrifying.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Tangentially related but all this Alligator talk is reminding me of this video where some redneck throws a piece of meat into the pen of several Gators and one, in excitement, chomps down on another's leg and does the death roll and takes the leg clean off. The absurdity of the now de-legged gator just completely confused while the redneck screams, "What did you do! Oh no, what did you do, you loving idiot! That was your brother's leg!"

Strangely horrifying.

the most disturbing part is just how the leg just rips off like it was nothing, gators are crazy strong. if I ever get attacked by one I am hosed

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Thanks guys. Added those to my list. My wonderful mother bought me Room to Dream by David Lynch, so I'll probably dive into that next.

I had no idea there was a new Lynch book! Gonna get that this weekend.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Jeff Wiiver posted:

If you want something that approaches it all from both an academic and personal perspective, Kier-La Janisse's House of Psychotic Women comes highly recommended. As the title suggests, it focuses on madness and women in horror, but it's deeper than that too because she's so knowledgeable on the genre that she can't help it. She's a really great writer and to say she knows horror films is an understatement.

The best book on horror (although it's not just horror) is Stephen Thrower's Nightmare USA which is now back in print.

You said you wanted broad studies and that would definitely cover it, although it only goes up to 1985 (he's been working on Part II for years which will continue from there).

Outsider recommendation -- not about movies specifically (although a few were made into movies), I've had a lot of fun with Grady Hendrix's Paperbacks from Hell too. Some of those covers are ... wow.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
So, based on doing a very successful double feature of Night of the Living Dead/Get Out last year, I'm planning on constructing double features of significant horror films that came out this year with good companion piece horror films later this fall. The one trick is that I haven't seen any of the new horror films since I stockpile them over the course of a year... Anyhoo.. Here is what I have...

Hereditary/The Exorcist

A Quiet Place/Tremors

Mom and Dad/Children of the Corn

Annihilation/The Fly (Remake)

Summer of 84/Fright Night (Original)

But I'm willing to take any feedback or substitutions if people have them to offer.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Timeless Appeal posted:

So, based on doing a very successful double feature of Night of the Living Dead/Get Out last year, I'm planning on constructing double features of significant horror films that came out this year with good companion piece horror films later this fall. The one trick is that I haven't seen any of the new horror films since I stockpile them over the course of a year... Anyhoo.. Here is what I have...

Hereditary/The Exorcist

A Quiet Place/Tremors

But I'm willing to take any feedback or substitutions if people have them to offer.

if you are willing to go outside of strictly horror, Stalker or maybe Solaris would be good companions to Annihilation. they are both pretty long though so maybe not the best choices for a double feature.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hereditary/The Exorcist

A Quiet Place/Tremors

I would substitute Rosemary's Baby instead of The Exorcist, Parents instead of Children of the Corn.

Stalker paired with Annihilation would be great, but as gey muckle mowser mentioned, it's very long and emotionally/mentally draining.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Timeless Appeal posted:

Hereditary/The Exorcist

I don't understand why people are thinking Hereditary is anything like The Exorcist when it's clearly a nearly slavish tribute to Polanski, in theme with Rosemary's Baby and in style with Repulsion.

(not questioning you personally, I know that the posters for Hereditary referenced The Exorcist)

Also mowser is entirely correct in suggesting Stalker with Annihilation. Stalker is just infinitely superior in every way really, unless you're excited about the special effects I guess.

The Endless is another good movie to match with Stalker or Annihilation by the way. Personally I thought it was much better than Annihilation (although I'm not the right person to ask because I thought Annihilation was a trash heap).

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Solaris would be absolutely perfect with Annihilation, even better than Stalker imo.

I recently rewatched Annihilation and it really clicked with me this time, there's actually a lot to unpack there that rewards multiple viewings.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I read the book Annihilation in preparation for watching the movie (because it was in and out of theaters before I could watch it and I wanted to read the book while I waited for the video release). I feel like Annihilation the movie is to the book as Congo the movie is to the book.

Like it isn't just a case of "the book was better", but "the book was good and the movie was a schlocky piece of garbage". I mean, Annihilation might be a better movie than Congo by far but it was still pretty bad and forgettable. It was all the more disappointing because I really liked Ex Machina and thought that Alex Garland could pull off another low key sci-fi movie. But no, everybody had loving assault weapons and fired them at lovely CGI Bearhuman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

But no, everybody had loving assault weapons and fired them at lovely CGI Bearhuman.

That ends up being a pretty small portion of the movie in the end though, there's really only like three scenes involving the bear and that subplot gets wrapped up well in advance of the actual climax.

But anyway I can understand being frustrated when an adaptation of a book you like doesn't live up to the source, I'd probably feel differently about it had I read the book.