Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Craptacular! posted:

Gorsuch is qualified. Evil, but qualified. And it was filling Scalia’s seat, and a lot of regular people (e.g. people not here) think a SCOTUS with the thinnest of margins between ideologies “best represents America” because we are such a bitterly divided nation.

The nub of the issue is that Gorsuch is freaking illiterate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Discendo Vox posted:

The nub of the issue is that Gorsuch is freaking illiterate.

A lack of literacy in the case of the justice, who himself is the newest of nine robed individuals in the job of arbitration of constitutional disputes, is that central nub of the issue

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Gorsuch writes like Yoda if Yoda had Huntington's Disease

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

I'm also inclined to skepticism when it comes to the notion that Republicans are going to dismantle abortion rights as quickly and absolutely as possible. I have no romantic notions that they want to do the right thing and not be bullies. My thinking is, the last time the Supreme Court forced most of the country to legalize a wildly unpopular law (Dred Scott) we got a Civil War within a few years. Forcing every state to prosecute miscarriages just on the off-chance they were deliberately induced would not only destroy what little integrity the court has right now, it would virtually guarantee huge Democratic gains in the next election.

Now, gradually making actually getting an abortion a giant pain-in-the-rear end, a process Anthony Kennedy gladly aided and abetted, that would be a different matter entirely. And a far more likely outcome of Trump's pick.

Unless the Dems are willing to pack the court, "huge Democratic gains" can't do anything to the Supreme Court for probably a decade, by which point the Dems will have totally squandered whatever goodwill they've managed to accrue. The fact that the Dems are unwilling to declare themselves a pro-choice party makes it difficult for them to truly capitalize on that, too. Meanwhile, the GOP will get massive evangelical turnout thanks to actually living up to their campaign promises.

The way you're talking about the Dred Scott decision suggests you have no idea what it actually was. It did not "legalize a wildly unpopular law". As for its relationship to the Civil War, its main contribution was emboldening the slaveowners to pursue further anti-democratic measures - such as secession.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

They can. Overturning Griswold v Connecticut overturns Roe, Lawrence, and Obgerfell to name a few.

they'll stop at griswold, they'll stop at griswold, i repeat to myself as i slowly transform into an eight year old working in a coal mine

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

PerniciousKnid posted:

How will that happen? Conservatives just want to punish women for having sex. Are Democratic prosecutors going to lead the charge against miscarriers? I can imagine the odd paranoid boyfriend accusing his girlfriend and finding a sympathetic crazy backwoods prosecutor, but I don't see how it becomes widespread.

I don't either. But it's one of the ridiculous hypotheticals the more alarmist posters in this thread have been pulling out. There's a lot of middle ground between our current situation and outright banning abortion everywhere.

Main Paineframe posted:

Unless the Dems are willing to pack the court, "huge Democratic gains" can't do anything to the Supreme Court for probably a decade, by which point the Dems will have totally squandered whatever goodwill they've managed to accrue. The fact that the Dems are unwilling to declare themselves a pro-choice party makes it difficult for them to truly capitalize on that, too. Meanwhile, the GOP will get massive evangelical turnout thanks to actually living up to their campaign promises.

This is entirely why court-packing, previously a pie-in-the-sky scheme that was considered a horrific crime against decorum, is now something being seriously discussed in liberal publications. No argument that the Dems would probably find a way to gently caress that up though.

quote:

The way you're talking about the Dred Scott decision suggests you have no idea what it actually was. It did not "legalize a wildly unpopular law". As for its relationship to the Civil War, its main contribution was emboldening the slaveowners to pursue further anti-democratic measures - such as secession.

Slavery was not a wildly unpopular law? Like OK, I'm not using the word correctly in the technical sense (and this is probably the only thread where pedantry can be justified as on-topic) but I thought my point was pretty clear. And it's not just the slaveowners who were radicalized by Dred Scott. I'm sure you've heard of a certain patriot by the name of John Brown?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

PerniciousKnid posted:

How will that happen? Conservatives just want to punish women for having sex. Are Democratic prosecutors going to lead the charge against miscarriers? I can imagine the odd paranoid boyfriend accusing his girlfriend and finding a sympathetic crazy backwoods prosecutor, but I don't see how it becomes widespread.

https://twitter.com/fresnobee/status/996874181177294848

Even blue states have plenty of conservative leaders.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Some Guy TT posted:

Like OK, I'm not using the word correctly in the technical sense (and this is probably the only thread where pedantry can be justified as on-topic)

oh god, i've been doing everything wrong

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

FronzelNeekburm posted:

https://twitter.com/fresnobee/status/996874181177294848

Even blue states have plenty of conservative leaders.

who the gently caress is that fat piece of poo poo who is apparently Trump's August Von Mackensen

e: lmao at sgt shulz leering at Von Mackensen's superior Flair

Former DILF fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 9, 2018

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

Ah, I see that completing the destruction of our democratic institutions is now a bipartisan consensus.

I'm not particularly interested in having an extended discussion on this, so I'll just simply say that I think maintaining the integrity and neutrality of democratic institutions like our Judiciary is far more important than any one, two, or twenty bad decisions. The fact that Republicans are weaponizing the courts does not mean that packing them in response will do anything other than signal the death of this union.

Is this what liberalism does to your brain? Jesus.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pants Donkey posted:

This is true, but I think “bad thing is actively happening now” is a greater motivator than “bad thing COULD happen”.

"LIBERALS ARE TRYING TO MAKE BABY MURDER LEGAL AGAIN" is a pretty good motivator for those assholes.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

Ah, I see that completing the destruction of our democratic institutions is now a bipartisan consensus.

I'm not particularly interested in having an extended discussion on this, so I'll just simply say that I think maintaining the integrity and neutrality of democratic institutions like our Judiciary is far more important than any one, two, or twenty bad decisions. The fact that Republicans are weaponizing the courts does not mean that packing them in response will do anything other than signal the death of this union.

You useless melt oval office.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

Slavery was not a wildly unpopular law? Like OK, I'm not using the word correctly in the technical sense (and this is probably the only thread where pedantry can be justified as on-topic) but I thought my point was pretty clear. And it's not just the slaveowners who were radicalized by Dred Scott. I'm sure you've heard of a certain patriot by the name of John Brown?

The Dred Scott case didn't "legalize slavery". It did strike down the Missouri Compromise and prohibit the federal government from automatically freeing slaves in territories which banned slavery, but that's a far cry from "legalizing slavery". The main reason it's so notorious has nothing to do with slavery: it ruled that African-Americans (both slaves and freemen) were Constitutionally prohibited from being citizens, did not possess civil or constitutional rights, and therefore did not have standing to sue in federal court.

The reason people got fired up about it wasn't the impact of the decision itself, but the content of the ruling. It was legal horseshit to a degree that would even impress Scalia. By taking originalism to absurd extremes, the Court decided that Scott didn't have standing to bring the case...and then went on to rule on the case itself anyway. Not only that, but Taney was known to be fiercely pro-slavery, and some of the concurring opinions used language that suggested they were setting the stage so that a future lawsuit could push back states' ability to regulate slavery. Northerners felt the Court was barely even pretending to care about legal reasoning at that point.

In terms of moving toward the Civil War, though, the impact of the Dred Scott decision was relatively small compared to the previous developments, such as the Fugitive Slave Act, the Kansas-Nebraska Act, and the caning of Charles Sumner. By the time the Dred Scott ruling was issued, for instance, John Brown had already earned considerable noteriety for his part in anti-slavery militias during the escalation of the violence in Kansas.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dred Scott effectively announced that the Supreme Court was going to rule, in short order, the constitution mandated the expansion of slavery to free states. So the idea that it was going to legalize slavery is actually reasonably correct, as long as you remember the qualifier "in the north."

After all, if you have a right to bring your slave into a free state and he doesn't become free, what exactly does a free state even mean?

Wxhode
Mar 29, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Twitter rumormongering and reporting suggests it’s Kavanaugh, unless the fake out is that the nominee won’t be at the announcement and Judge K is doing some decoy work.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran

Wxhode posted:

Twitter rumormongering and reporting suggests it’s Kavanaugh, unless the fake out is that the nominee won’t be at the announcement and Judge K is doing some decoy work.

New York Times confirms

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/nytpolitics/status/1016486701773066240?s=19

It's Kavanaugh.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Yep, knew it. Kavanaugh is there solely to provide cover in case of indictment or impeachment. Trump is covering his rear end.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

How bad is it?

My expectation was the corpse of Justice Taney so I have pretty dismal priors.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

How bad is it?

My expectation was the corpse of Justice Taney so I have pretty dismal priors.

it's the most "trump is immune from the law" pick he could find

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

evilweasel posted:

it's the most "trump is immune from the law" pick he could find

Well gently caress.

Probably should go back to avoiding D&D for my own mental health.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This piece of poo poo casting the 5th vote to protect Dear Leader (who got 3 million less votes) from a subpoena or an indictment is pretty much the end of American democracy.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 10, 2018

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

The certain bitter aggro Kavanaugh will face sets up Barrett for an easier confirmation which I believe is Trump's intent. Kavanagh will take one for the team.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

the popes toes posted:

The certain bitter aggro Kavanaugh will face sets up Barrett for an easier confirmation which I believe is Trump's intent. Kavanagh will take one for the team.

You think the intent is for Kavanaugh to not get confirmed so that they can put Barrett on the court?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

the popes toes posted:

Donald "I meant to do that" Trump, master of nth-dimensional chess

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think the Maggie Habermann theory of 'Mitch and the other Republicans wanted someone other than Kavanaugh, so I will pick Kavanaugh' is correct

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
In what way does Kavanaugh provide more legal cover to Trump than any of the other heritage foundation picked shitters on his short list?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Sydin posted:

In what way does Kavanaugh provide more legal cover to Trump than any of the other heritage foundation picked shitters on his short list?

Kavanaugh has stated he believes presidents should be immune to civil and criminal prosecution while in office -- no lawsuits, no criminal charges.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

the popes toes posted:

Are you not aware that republicans have a majority in the senate and have enough votes to confirm him already? Short of something coming out that he diddles kids, Kavanaugh is the new justice.

A 53 year old to the right of Alito and Gorsuch. Thanks, Obama.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

ErIog posted:

You think the intent is for Kavanaugh to not get confirmed so that they can put Barrett on the court?

yeah, this allows the threat of the opposition publicly being criticized as mindless "obstructionists" to ease the path for Barrett. If he's confirmed, it's not a big deal. It's a win. But Barrett is a bigger win for his base, and women, but she wouldn't have made the hearings for his first pick.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Kavanaugh has stated he believes presidents should be immune to civil and criminal prosecution while in office -- no lawsuits, no criminal charges.

ahahahahaha

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Are you not aware that republicans have a majority in the senate and have enough votes to confirm him already? Short of something coming out that he diddles kids, Kavanaugh is the new justice.

A 53 year old to the right of Alito and Gorsuch. Thanks, Obama.

It's not a firm majority with McCain's illness and Kavanagh will face opposition even with some Republicans.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

the popes toes posted:

yeah, this allows the threat of the opposition publicly being criticized as mindless "obstructionists" to ease the path for Barrett. If he's confirmed, it's not a big deal. It's a win. But Barrett is a bigger win for his base, and women, but she wouldn't have made the hearings for his first pick.

She would've, but more importantly, there isn't time for one failed nom and then a second new nom and review process before the November elections, which might flip the senate and deadlock the court for the rest of Trump's term.

Trump just picked the most brazenly corrupt option because doesn't care about abortion but he *does* care about not going to jail

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
He has such an insane conflict of interest in any case involving Trump but I'm sure he'll find some way to not recuse himself.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

If Kavanaugh fails, it requires Republican votes. The one upside to getting rid of the filibuster is that it's harder to blame everything on those unreasonable minority party senators.

Even CHUDS can count to 50.

Edit: also lol if Kavanaugh recluses himself because he doesn't give a gently caress about Trump and cares more about his own reputation a la sessions

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

the popes toes posted:

It's not a firm majority with McCain's illness and Kavanagh will face opposition even with some Republicans.

No he won't. they will all vote for him.

Tyrannosoros
May 30, 2018

by R. Guyovich

Tibalt posted:

Even CHUDS can count to 50.
CHUDs think Obama founded the Taliban and did Katrina and the financial crisis. Some of them have heard of the number fifty but they all need Sean Hannity to walk them through counting up to it.

They are absolutely capable of pinning a failure on the Democrats. All that would need to happen is for right-wing media to tell them to blame the Democrats. Which right-wing media will most definitely do.

But, who cares? Their brainless predictability also makes them immaterial to political calculation.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Tyrannosoros posted:

CHUDs think Obama founded the Taliban and did Katrina and the financial crisis. Some of them have heard of the number fifty but they all need Sean Hannity to walk them through counting up to it.

They are absolutely capable of pinning a failure on the Democrats. All that would need to happen is for right-wing media to tell them to blame the Democrats. Which right-wing media will most definitely do.

But, who cares? Their brainless predictability also makes them immaterial to political calculation.

Yeah, if it fails, for sure they will say, "Those mean old Democrats wouldn't support a qualified nominee. This is shocking hypocrisy and an unprecedented violation of norms!"

However, I don't think it's likely that Kavanaugh's nomination fails. GOP has majority, and even if a few vote no or can't vote that's cancelled out by worthless Dems like Donnelly, Manchin, and Heitkamp. So to block the nomination it's not just convincing a few GOP senators. Dems also have to convince at least 3 of their own members.

Dems should do everything they can to block this nomination, but Dems probably just gonna Dem it up.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

the popes toes posted:

Based on what? The public statements of a single Senator whose actual voting record contradicts those statements?

ErIog posted:

Dems should do everything they can to block this nomination, but Dems probably just gonna Dem it up.

There is literally nothing they can do.

nessin fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

nessin posted:

Based on what? The public statements of a single Senator whose actual voting record contradicts those statements?

There is literally nothing they can do.

They can stay united as a caucus and not give this country's minority rule any bipartisan credibility.