Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

There is no way a Republican nominee gets Borked by Republican congress.

By which I mean, sure, who the gently caress knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I've learned hope is a lie but holyyy hell would it be amazing if Congress blows this for trump

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

He is so not getting confirmed

Yeah, Trump basically wasted a nomination. Here's hoping that the hearings will drag out until September and result in a rejection, but the midterms scare away attempts to seat a super-conservative judge, the Blue Wave happens, and Trump now has to do this with a Dem-controlled Congress.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

ekeog posted:

he wasn't being dishonest, Roe is settled law for the court he was being confirmed to and he had no choice but to follow it on the DC circuit

on the Supreme Court, however,

yeah and most of the laws that are made to head toward the supreme court in hopes of an overturn are so loving awful they usually die before carried to term or they get shot down at the district/state level.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Tibalt posted:

I just can't imagine that happening. If any one Republican flips they will be destroyed by their party.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tibalt posted:

Yeah I have zero faith in that and this jerkbag keeping roe v wade alive.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PT6A posted:

Is it possible that he's doing this to get a few GOP senators to vote against confirmation, and then in the absence of enough D votes to get his pick confirmed, use it as political cover to appoint a complete lunatic, after claiming that he did as requested and picked a moderate?

I mean, I doubt Trump is bright enough to devise that strategy, but someone in his administration might be.

No what happened was he hadn't decided who to pick, people told him not to pick Kavanaugh, and trump reflexively doubles down when told not to do something so he picked Kavanaugh.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Young Freud posted:

Yeah, Trump basically wasted a nomination. Here's hoping that the hearings will drag out until September and result in a rejection, but the midterms scare away attempts to seat a super-conservative judge, the Blue Wave happens, and Trump now has to do this with a Dem-controlled Congress.

Even if this fantasy plays out they'll confirm someone in the lame duck session.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I just can't imagine that happening. If any one Republican flips they will be destroyed by their party.

This sounds like a job for the Flakeiest of men.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/07/michael-cohen-lanny-davis

“For a year and a half, I’ve been silent,” Cohen told friends around the time he called Davis. “What has silence gotten me? It’s ruined my business. It’s ruined my wife’s life. It’s ruined my children’s lives. I’ve been a punching bag for everybody. Why am I going to continue to be silent?”

Good. Sing, you bastard.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

But this nomination is being opposed by the right wing of the party.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

JasonV posted:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/07/michael-cohen-lanny-davis

“For a year and a half, I’ve been silent,” Cohen told friends around the time he called Davis. “What has silence gotten me? It’s ruined my business. It’s ruined my wife’s life. It’s ruined my children’s lives. I’ve been a punching bag for everybody. Why am I going to continue to be silent?”

Good. Sing, you bastard.

E: nm

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

JasonV posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/432616623225049088

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

The only thing I can envision is that Kavanaugh has something hilarious bad from his time on the Ken Starr inquiry. Alternatively, Kavanaugh admits that Trump made him swear a loyalty oath.

Edit: Ted Cruz has seen Mueller notes and is planning a 2020 run. I feel like a writer for House of Cards.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jul 10, 2018

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Party Plane Jones posted:

This sounds like a job for the Flakeiest of men.
I'm sure he'll get right on that

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This is McConnell's nightmare.

He wanted to use the nomination to force red state Democrats to vote no and rally the religious people in their states against them with ads saying they don't hate abortion enough, but now the most fervent anti-choice nutters are saying people should vote no.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tibalt posted:

The only thing I can envision is that Kavanaugh has something hilarious bad from his time on the Ken Starr inquiry. Alternatively, Kavanaugh admits that Trump made him swear a loyalty oath.

His views on independent investigation of the presidency may be interesting to explore, though he is probably smart enough not to blabber something that would immediately cause Trump to withdraw the nomination.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

No what happened was he hadn't decided who to pick, people told him not to pick Kavanaugh, and trump reflexively doubles down when told not to do something so he picked Kavanaugh.

it'll probably come out later that trump picked kavanaugh because he had a strong name. a good name for a justice.

barrett was the correct pick here for the GOP so I'm not sure trump exactly followed orders

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Shifty Pony posted:

This is McConnell's nightmare.

He wanted to use the nomination to force red state Democrats to vote no and rally the religious people in their states against them with ads saying they don't hate abortion enough, but now the most fervent anti-choice nutters are saying people should vote no.

Mitch McConnell called Trump to recommend Kavanaugh, didn't he?

Edit: NVM, I was thinking of Kethledge.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
YES.

quote:

Faced with chants of "no justice, no peace" and a blaring recording of "Fight the Power," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell abandoned his dinner at Kentucky restaurant.

The Courier Journal reports the protesters Sunday opposed the government's immigration policy, and called for abolishing U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Four Pegs bartender Nick Hulstine says a trivia host told the bar's patrons McConnell was across the street at Sarino and used his speaker to disrupt McConnell's meal. Hulstine says Sarino's chefs yelled at protesters.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Trump 100% picked this guy because of his views on investigating the president. I know this because Trump cares about himself and literally nothing else.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Charlz Guybon posted:

But this nomination is being opposed by the right wing of the party.

Don't trust them at all, comrade. Trust only your iron fists.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

LegendaryFrog posted:

Mitch McConnell called Trump to recommend Kavanaugh, didn't he?
Nope, McConnell was gunning for Kethledge and Hardiman.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Get hosed turtle.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
here's my hot take: SCOTUS becomes more and more inconsequential as the United States devolves its power.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Tibalt posted:

It literally happened to Bush.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dapper_Swindler posted:

awsome. the american taliban is mad now and will probably sink the nom.

I KEEP SAYING

BARRETT OR BUST :black101:

Phobic Nest
Oct 2, 2013

You Are My Sunshine
We saw all the uncomfortable reactions when R reps were asked about the chance to use a new justice to overturn Roe v. Wade. The majority of them don't actually want to make abortion illegal because then how will they keep the one issue voters? This seems like the right choice for them because they'll still get all the rulings in their favor and keep the fundie fetus friends so...

Haha, they're totally gonna gently caress this up.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Ague Proof posted:

YES.

Ague Proof posted:

Faced with chants of "no justice, no peace" and a blaring recording of "Fight the Power," Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell abandoned his dinner at Kentucky restaurant.

The Courier Journal reports the protesters Sunday opposed the government's immigration policy, and called for abolishing U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Four Pegs bartender Nick Hulstine says a trivia host told the bar's patrons McConnell was across the street at Sarino and used his speaker to disrupt McConnell's meal. Hulstine says Sarino's chefs yelled at protesters.
GO BACK TO YOUR SHELL OR...

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1016497935989735424

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

awsome. the american taliban is mad now and will probably sink the nom.

sadly they seem to be the only conservative group agitating for a no vote

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Token #2/pizza still trying to do the rhythms because he's black huh.
(which 4kidz anime did he steal that from?)

cating up on new posts, but it's it all just stress posting, the last few pages made it seem like a lovely fart. like yeah it's a very bad fart that means cancer but not as bad as it could have been.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Man I was expecting this guy

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Its funny. It appears literally no one is happy about this nomination. Liberals don’t like it for obvious reasons but the far right is also pissed because he’s not enough of a batshit crazy zealout for them.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Krispy Wafer posted:

It literally happened to Bush.

How soon we forget.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Misread that as Gardner, Cotton, and Paul saying no already

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Silly Burrito posted:

How soon we forget.

Yeah but Alito.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The Glumslinger posted:

Same.

A "wait and see" is still a very bad sign for McConnell and Trump.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

gently caress me so did i :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/renato_mariotti/status/1016490312812855298