Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Maneck posted:

I had absolutely not figured out that Warmahordes has narrative league support. Good stuff.

Am I right in concluding it's done via No Quarter? If so, I guess I'll have to wait and see what changes they're making for subscriptions.

The league stuff is in the form of OP kits that your local game store can order. They're really cheap - usually on the order of 10-20 dollars for enough stuff to support like 8 players. They don't always do really big story stuff in them, but there's something. The last one dealt with Holden, and the big battle at the end that PP did based on results determined what faction Holden was going to be part of when his model released - he ended up becoming a UA for the Grymkin.

e: There is also a variety of neat scenarios, often times based on historical events in the game, that show up in NQ. A lot of them are really fun to play through.

For_Great_Justice posted:

I don't see having tight rules an straight forward play as pure competitive though.

I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the attitude differences that often differentiate people who are primarily concerned with tournament play vs casual play. A lot of people are able to switch between the two, especially based on who their opponent is, but some are not. Some people want to focus on tournament practice and won't be willing to participate in a casual league, and the opposite can be true too. It's not a big deal, really, but it's something to consider.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

e: double post

S.J. fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jul 9, 2018

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Maneck posted:

Around here there seems to be way more support for PP games as compared to GW. It might change in the future.

If you're looking for 40k, look up the RTTR (Royal Tabletop Regiment). Last i saw of them they were mostly in orleans at Kessel Run Games.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

S.J. posted:

There's some irony there because MWH has had consistent casual play support for quite some time with narrative leagues, one every quarter IIRC, but if you can't convince the people who show up (and those people are very focused on tournament play) then it won't really matter.

Bingo.

I was excited for the smaller scope game style I heard about but am blanking on the name of, but holy poo poo I couldn’t get a game in that wasn’t super janky tournament skew.

Didn’t help that the press ganger for the area raged out when the program ended and all but burned his models in anger.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Axing the community program was a seriously awful idea.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

For_Great_Justice posted:

Axing the community program was a seriously awful idea.

I don't think they really had a choice. The magic judge case was looking like it was going to go against WotC, so that pretty much killed all the similar programs from every company at about the same time. I think it ended up being ruled against the judges late last year (a bad thing, since it effectively allows volunteers to get around minimum wage law, which cripples wages in those areas) but I think nobody though about starting a similar program up again afterwards.

It sucked, but I don't think any company had a choice but to do something along those lines.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Volunteering for a multi day event is one thing. Running a program for us wide local steam rollers is another.

They should have about faced if it got ruled against the judges. They need a press ganger program. They need lgs organizers.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Yeah the guys who were our press gangers are kinda bummed out about losing the models. Its a pain in the rear end to run events!

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

quote:

I don't see having tight rules an straight forward play as pure competitive though.

This is something that drives me up the loving wall in online miniatures gaming discussion; a lot of 40K players seem to think that balanced rules mean the game is only focused on the serious business competitive side of things, when balanced rules are good for all players. They have this "Don't worry about winning, play what you want!" attitude, but if what I want to play is, say, 7th edition Iyanden Eldar, well, suddenly I'm a cheesy WAAC powergamer because of the lovely unbalanced rules.

Certainly no game is perfectly balanced, but one of the things I love about Warmachine is that PP seems to at least try.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

rkajdi posted:

I don't think they really had a choice. The magic judge case was looking like it was going to go against WotC, so that pretty much killed all the similar programs from every company at about the same time. I think it ended up being ruled against the judges late last year (a bad thing, since it effectively allows volunteers to get around minimum wage law, which cripples wages in those areas) but I think nobody though about starting a similar program up again afterwards.

It sucked, but I don't think any company had a choice but to do something along those lines.

I'm gonna be honest with you: that had nothing to do with it. Everyone in the know has known for a very long time that the PG program was going to go away sooner or later, for the same reason that the old GW Outriders program went away: taxes. Selling OP product to stores is very different than giving merchandise to volunteers.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

S.J. posted:

I'm gonna be honest with you: that had nothing to do with it. Everyone in the know has known for a very long time that the PG program was going to go away sooner or later, for the same reason that the old GW Outriders program went away: taxes. Selling OP product to stores is very different than giving merchandise to volunteers.

In that if the gifts were seen as payments to employees, they would have to pay minimum wage plus payroll taxes?

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

Then PP needs to get itself some hype people an hit local stores. As it stands it'll starve out since store owners won't stock what isn't selling an stuff won't sell unless local communities get going. I tried my damdest when a new lgs opened but 8th dropped not long after so that was trying to stop the tides.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

FrostyPox posted:

Certainly no game is perfectly balanced, but one of the things I love about Warmachine is that PP seems to at least try.

I don’t think anyone was honestly complaining about game balance. I also liked that for the most part, I could play any caster in my army and make a list capable of competing.

The issue at hand was the attitudes of the players who were taking Page 5 way too literally, still, and crushing folks on early turns. It might teach you how to avoid that one particular trap, but a casual player will never get better if they never see turn 4 because somebody (dated reference) Haley2’s them on top of 2 and annihilates them.

They’ll sure get good at deployment, but that’s maybe all.

I used to try to talk newer player through their turns. I’d let them explain what they were thinking, then I’d offer my perspective and warn them of any “gotchas” that might come up, and then they could play out their turn. I lost as many games as I won, but ultimately I felt like I got to learn the other armies while I helped teach the players the basics. It was a lot of fun and felt rewarding as we built up the local scene right around the last year of Mk2. Mk3 got about a journeyman’s league in before people started dropping off precipitously.

It wasn’t fantastic for people highly motivated to play with clocks and the newest bestest netlists, but I hated playing those guys anyways. Unfortunately they’re all that’s left of the local scene around my place.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Maneck posted:

In that if the gifts were seen as payments to employees, they would have to pay minimum wage plus payroll taxes?

Just the taxes involved in the payment (product) itself probably, since they're volunteers. Not to say the WotC ruling couldn't have changed that, but the PG program and others like it were always just flying under the radar.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

koreban posted:

I used to try to talk newer player through their turns. I’d let them explain what they were thinking, then I’d offer my perspective and warn them of any “gotchas” that might come up, and then they could play out their turn. I lost as many games as I won, but ultimately I felt like I got to learn the other armies while I helped teach the players the basics. It was a lot of fun and felt rewarding as we built up the local scene right around the last year of Mk2. Mk3 got about a journeyman’s league in before people started dropping off precipitously.

I used to love playing like that. I got told I would do better in tournaments if I would just shut up and stop telling my opponents how to beat my lists.

I miss that and testing out new lists with my brother. Those games were fun because we'd both sort of play both sides of the table and we really didn't mind other people watching and offering their two cents. Well, as long as they were talking about what was actually going on with the board and not just making GBS threads on out non-optimal lists.

I also miss playing stuff that was kind of uncommon locally. I would buy stuff that I just wanted to paint or pick up used models that someone else was selling in a rage quit fit. Plus I usually wasn't trying to master a list for a tournament so I'd be happy to pilot a net list for someone else to smash their tournament list into. My brother is allergic to net lists so he was always trying to bring something unexpected to out of town tournaments.

Now I'm convinced to head over to my lgs tomorrow and see what's going on.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah I definitely understand that.

Also I'm getting two fresh derp turtles for a cool hundred bucks. Hell yeah. I need to think of a way to make them look vaguely blastoise-ish. I might also be putting little pokeballs on the bases of each of my beasts, not sure yet.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

S.J. posted:

Also I'm getting two fresh derp turtles for a cool hundred bucks. Hell yeah. I need to think of a way to make them look vaguely blastoise-ish. I might also be putting little pokeballs on the bases of each of my beasts, not sure yet.

Truck Nuts.

Wait no that could easily go :yikes:

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

S.J. posted:

.... How is anyone letting two derp turtles go for $100 in 2018?

Man you are getting great deals.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

waah posted:

.... How is anyone letting two derp turtles go for $100 in 2018?

Man you are getting great deals.

Make friends in your meta who have a bad habit of buying entire factions playing 5 games with them and then selling them :v:

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Ha! I've got a friend that does that minus playing the 5 games.

To be fair to the community, I've dumped a fair amount of second hand stuff for real cheap or traded it after I painted it to really nice tabletop (compared to my local scene). Since I prefer to get unpainted stuff in return, I think everyone feels like they got a great deal.

On the painting note, I'm finally going to the eye doctor tomorrow so maybe I'll be able to paint again without getting frustrated. And if not, maybe I'll start painting my Mercs with lower expectations.

Anyone have a good purple recipe to share? I want a regal as gently caress Ashlynn list. Those shitheads have been primed black since MK I. At one point I special ordered just about every purple paint my lgs could get and I didn't find anything that worked for me.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Ugh. Had a terrible showing at a big tournament in Atlanta over the weekend. Ended the day 1-4, and every game I lost I was completely crushing until I doofed up. On the flip side, watching the Harkevich player's face drop when I just backed out of range of his flock of heavies to wait out his feat before counter-feating with Rasheth was so, so good.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoodBee posted:

Anyone have a good purple recipe to share? I want a regal as gently caress Ashlynn list. Those shitheads have been primed black since MK I. At one point I special ordered just about every purple paint my lgs could get and I didn't find anything that worked for me.

Here's one I sort of stumbled into when doing some work on my gatormen. I use GW paints because I'm broken on the inside, but I imagine you could do something similar with the brands most people here like.

* Basecoat Ulthuan Gray
* Dip w/ Minwax (antique walnut satin finish). Paint the dip on avoid pooling.
* Paint on Testor's Dullcote. The spray is not very matte so I suggest avoiding it.
* Highlight Ulthuan Gray.
* Once fully dry water down Genestealer Purple and apply as a wash. Suggest future floor wax or matte medium be used in place of water.

I'll get some pictures later this week (all my stuff is in glass cases at my buddy's hobby shop) if you want to see it before you try this, but it produces some very stark and good looking color gradation. You could also modify this to work with most vibrant colors if you wanted. Ulthuan Grey is slightly green, so that might also help if you're looking at it from a color theory perspective.

rkajdi fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jul 10, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gorefiend posted:

Ugh. Had a terrible showing at a big tournament in Atlanta over the weekend. Ended the day 1-4, and every game I lost I was completely crushing until I doofed up. On the flip side, watching the Harkevich player's face drop when I just backed out of range of his flock of heavies to wait out his feat before counter-feating with Rasheth was so, so good.

Over commit with your caster? That's a bad habit of mine.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

S.J. posted:

Over commit with your caster? That's a bad habit of mine.

Only in one of the games, and it was less an overcommit and more of a "not back the gently caress up" moment where I accidentally left a lane for a Mobility'd Dervish to get to Tubby. Two I got locked out on scenario between terrain and some blocking Gargantuans and one I unfortunately clocked as I was killing his caster. Every game I was utterly dominant on attrition but I wasn't contesting their scoring elements enough in live scenarios. Too used to Grymkin still and being able to just throw a Gremlin Swarm out there to contest trivially.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

rkajdi posted:

Here's one I sort of stumbled into when doing some work on my gatormen. I use GW paints because I'm broken on the inside, but I imagine you could do something similar with the brands most people here like.

* Basecoat Ulthuan Gray
* Dip w/ Minwax (antique walnut satin finish). Paint the dip on avoid pooling.
* Paint on Testor's Dullcote. The spray is not very matte so I suggest avoiding it.
* Highlight Ulthuan Gray.
* Once fully dry water down Genestealer Purple and apply as a wash. Suggest future floor wax or matte medium be used in place of water.

I'll get some pictures later this week (all my stuff is in glass cases at my buddy's hobby shop) if you want to see it before you try this, but it produces some very stark and good looking color gradation. You could also modify this to work with most vibrant colors if you wanted. Ulthuan Grey is slightly green, so that might also help if you're looking at it from a color theory perspective.

Cool. I would like some pictures when you get a chance. It feels like a cloth recipe, is that what you painted it on? How would it look on armor? It seems like painting jacks is really my weak point.

I've got no problem using GW paints except that they discontinued some of my colors. That's usually fine though because someone will have a chart for equivalents by the time that happens.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Gorefiend posted:

Only in one of the games, and it was less an overcommit and more of a "not back the gently caress up" moment where I accidentally left a lane for a Mobility'd Dervish to get to Tubby. Two I got locked out on scenario between terrain and some blocking Gargantuans and one I unfortunately clocked as I was killing his caster. Every game I was utterly dominant on attrition but I wasn't contesting their scoring elements enough in live scenarios. Too used to Grymkin still and being able to just throw a Gremlin Swarm out there to contest trivially.

I'm kind of interested in your lists, if nothing else, since I'll be basically starting from scratch.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

koreban posted:

I don’t think anyone was honestly complaining about game balance. I also liked that for the most part, I could play any caster in my army and make a list capable of competing.

The issue at hand was the attitudes of the players who were taking Page 5 way too literally, still, and crushing folks on early turns. It might teach you how to avoid that one particular trap, but a casual player will never get better if they never see turn 4 because somebody (dated reference) Haley2’s them on top of 2 and annihilates them.

They’ll sure get good at deployment, but that’s maybe all.

It wasn’t fantastic for people highly motivated to play with clocks and the newest bestest netlists, but I hated playing those guys anyways. Unfortunately they’re all that’s left of the local scene around my place.

Yeah, that's a bummer, but I still think it's a false dichotomy. There's certainly a "casual" vs "competitive" attitude, but just because I'm playing casually doesn't mean I'm not going to play my best. That can happen in any game, though Page 5 definitely made things a lot worse with a lot of players.

Obviously if I'm playing a newer player, that's a totally different game (err, so to speak), and I'm certainly going to take my time and explain everything I'm doing and why I'm doing it, and offer suggestions if the other player wants them, and in a casual game I'm definitely more likely to play something unusual and/or something I've never tried before (though it doesn't matter what I play because I am Very Bad at this game and all other games.

EDIT: My issue is more with the GW "Just play whatever you want and have fun! Unless it's a broken unit, then don't play that or you are a Bad Person" attitude which is, ironically, made much more difficult than it should be by the piss-poor balance of the game.

EDIT EDIT: I also didn't mean anyone in this thread specifically, it's just something I see come up whenever people want to discuss balance in GW games on forums like DakkaDakka. Mostly it's a real pet peeve of mine and any time I see anything vaguely related to it I feel compelled to rant like a madman about it :bahgawd:

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 10, 2018

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

I agree with the "its fun but thats broken attitude". I've dealt with that a lot with friends where its all fine an dandy till I do something an its the worst thing ever this isn't fun comes up. God forbid I play the game.

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

S.J. posted:

I'm kind of interested in your lists, if nothing else, since I'll be basically starting from scratch.

War Room Army

Skorne - Rasheth

Theme: Winds of Death
3 / 3 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army

Dominar Rasheth - WB: +28
- Basilisk Krea - PC: 7 (Battlegroup Points Used: 7)
- Cyclops Raider - PC: 9 (Battlegroup Points Used: 9)
- Cyclops Shaman - PC: 8 (Battlegroup Points Used: 8)
- Cyclops Shaman - PC: 8 (Battlegroup Points Used: 4)

Siege Animantarax - PC: 17
Siege Animantarax - PC: 17

Extoller Soulward - PC: 0
Extoller Soulward - PC: 0
Venator Dakar - PC: 0
Eilish Garrity, the Occultist - PC: 5

Paingiver Beast Handlers - Leader & 3 Grunts: 5
Venator Reivers - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Venator Reiver Officer & Standard - Officer & Standard: 4
Venator Slingers - Leader & 5 Grunts: 8

THEME: Winds of Death
---

Pretty standard Winds build aside from Eilish.

War Room Army

Skorne - Morghoul2

Theme: Disciples of Agony
2 / 2 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army

Lord Assassin Morghoul - WB: +29
- Blackhide Wrastler - PC: 16 (Battlegroup Points Used: 16)
- Blind Walker - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)
- Archidon - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 3)
- Archidon - PC: 10

Mortitheurge Willbreaker - PC: 0
Paingiver Task Master - PC: 3
Paingiver Bloodrunner Master Tormentor - PC: 0
Hutchuk, Ogrun Bounty Hunter - PC: 6

Farrow Valkyries - Leader & 2 Grunts: 8
Farrow Valkyries - Leader & 2 Grunts: 8
Paingiver Beast Handlers - Leader & 3 Grunts: 5
Paingiver Bloodrunners - Leader & 5 Grunts: 9
Farrow Brigands - Leader & 9 Grunts: 15
- Farrow Brigand Warlord - PC: 4

THEME: Disciples of Agony

My janky Morghoul2 list I came up with which I jokingly refer to as 'Options'. Less designed for specific matchups and more to give me a broader range of matchups for the list.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Dumped my sorscha3 into rask eith a dracodile yesterday. Turns out life gets really hard for the gator when conquest outthreats it :getin:

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Speaking of painting, anyone has a good recipe for Everblight's weird blue-purpleish skin?

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GoodBee posted:

Cool. I would like some pictures when you get a chance. It feels like a cloth recipe, is that what you painted it on? How would it look on armor? It seems like painting jacks is really my weak point.

I've got no problem using GW paints except that they discontinued some of my colors. That's usually fine though because someone will have a chart for equivalents by the time that happens.

I think it would look great if you're careful about the highlights. I might do another level of them (1:1 mix of the gray plus white) if there's a bunch of flat areas you want more tones on. The idea is that you're painting the model mono-chromatically to develop the areas of light and dark, and then adding the color as a wash at the end. I wouldn't use GW's inks for this, as they are way too thick and the color choices are very limited.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Jimmy Hats posted:

Dumped my sorscha3 into rask eith a dracodile yesterday. Turns out life gets really hard for the gator when conquest outthreats it :getin:

What list did you use?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
My super rad sorscha3 list!!!

War Room Army

Khador - Sadbrain Sorscha

Theme: Jaws of the Wolf
2 / 2 Free Cards 75 / 75 Army

Kommandant Sorscha Kratikoff - WJ: +28
- Sylys Wyshnalyrr, The Seeker - PC: 4
- Beast 09 - PC: 18 (Battlegroup Points Used: 18)
- Rager - PC: 10 (Battlegroup Points Used: 10)

Kovnik Andrei Malakov - PC: 0
- Conquest - PC: 35
Widowmaker Marksman - PC: 4
Greylord Forge Seer - PC: 4
Greylord Forge Seer - PC: 4
Yuri the Axe - PC: 0

Kossite Woodsmen - Leader & 5 Grunts: 7
Widowmaker Scouts - Leader & 3 Grunts: 8
Battle Mechaniks - Leader & 3 Grunts: 3

THEME: Jaws of the Wolf
---

Stoke the fires is a straight speed buff, so when I go first that conquest runs 16" up the board. I'm somehow 5-0 with the list into the following:

Abby2 oracles
Kallus2 Primal Terrors
Sorscha3 Armored Corps
Borka2 Storm o the North
Rask Will Work For Food

Sorscha3 is really nasty with sylys backing her up. I stick Iron Flesh on sorscha and play her fairly far forward, threatening winter's wrath as much as I can. Forge seers put freezer up on her and beast09 every chance I get (countercharging freezer from beast is incredibly dumb). Mechaniks are there mostly to be cheap bodies. Rager makes good use of flank and daisy chaining a shield guard to beast09 usually deters people from taking shots at me. Redlined conquest has no respect for life or property.

I actually countercharged with him in the borka2 game: he assaulted me with fire eaters and ended up about an inch away from me. Since he wasnt engaging me, i get to take a swing, even if I can't move!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

So my plan is just to add Monsterpocalypse to this thread, since I figure there's probably going to be a lot of overlap anyways.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
That’s cool. I’m enjoying the live stream of it. Seems like a really chill game.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Double post cause I’m that type of goon,

Jimmy that list is kicking rad. What do you pair it with?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah for real this game is looking fun as hell. https://www.twitch.tv/privateerpress for anyone not watching. I'm also excited that there are Hyper Form stats for when you take damage so I have an excuse to paint up a cooler looking version of the model because I'm an idiot

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
It's going to be a low model count game, isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
44 models on the table at max. That’s 2 monsters and 10 units per monster so if both sides do max FA then it’ll get a bit crowded.