Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boba fetacheese
Dec 12, 2000

jassi007 posted:

GB infect has come back into vogue for the first time in forever

Uh where? I want this to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
If it doesn't have Phyrexian Crusader, then it isn't GB Infect.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

boba fetacheese posted:

Uh where? I want this to be true.

It's around on some leagues and wherever, it's usually just playing a larger creature package, some discard, and some removal. Here's an example list.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Sampatrick posted:

Uh I understand your point, but ideal circumstances for Delver and Spirits are also just attacking the opponent, especially for Spirits since they have to trade creatures in order to interact with whatever the opponent is doing.

No, ideally you're making them play stabilizing cards into Spell Quellers or get removal blanked by Rattlechains / Drogskol Captain getting flashed in off a Rattlechains, letting you simultaneously ruin their turn while developing your own board. The 1-for-1 effects are fallbacks that protect your critical creatures while hopefully also getting in some damage beforehand. The deck trades raw speed for the ability to do this, and goes into the game expecting that it will need to slow down its opponent in order to win. You don't typically win before turns 4-5, and expecting your opponents to make no relevant plays in that time is unrealistic.

This is very much different from a deck like Burn making GBS threads 15 damage at you in three turns and then bolting you in the face when you finally manage to stabilize the board, or oldschool Infect just killing you on T3.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Sampatrick posted:

Uh I understand your point, but ideal circumstances for Delver and Spirits are also just attacking the opponent, especially for Spirits since they have to trade creatures in order to interact with whatever the opponent is doing.

Yeah but while Spirits is aggro, you don't always want to be flooring it like you do with Burn. Sure you want to attack, but you may not want to attack with everything if you can, say, set up an advantageous block and hit them back way harder. Getting to play lots of stuff at instant speed also means you can react to what the other player is doing, rather than you pushing hard and making them react.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So my buddy and I sleeved up some sorta jank tonight.

Standstill on his end, and Planeswalker Nic Fit on my side.

Holy moly I won't say either deck is good but it was quite possibly the most fun I've had playing magic since middle school

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Ideally your opponent fails to interact with you either because they're dead or you can stop them or they are just a fish.

Also someone buy a fuckin avatar I can't tell the trumps apart have some compassion for me.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Walked posted:

So my buddy and I sleeved up some sorta jank tonight.

Standstill on his end, and Planeswalker Nic Fit on my side.

Holy moly I won't say either deck is good but it was quite possibly the most fun I've had playing magic since middle school

Did you play Eureka?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Am I an idiot for thinking that Damping Sphere can be a sideboard card against KCI Combo or is it really just Stoney Silence or bust?

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Am I an idiot for thinking that Damping Sphere can be a sideboard card against KCI Combo or is it really just Stoney Silence or bust?

I mean, it should do some work against them when they want to go off but stony is definitely more of a shut down. I have both cards in my UW control sideboard right now.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I mean, it should do some work against them when they want to go off but stony is definitely more of a shut down. I have both cards in my UW control sideboard right now.

I figured, but if I'm playing a deck that doesn't have white mana, I want to know what else is viable.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Star Man posted:

If it dies to EE, you probably don't want to use it as your anti-KCI card.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
It is also good in several other matchups so it isn't unreasonable for it to be in your sideboard already, and if it is I would bring it in against KCI. Damping sphere has the effect of being good incidental hate even if it isn't primarily for that matchup.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Star Man posted:

It is like Blood Moon vs. Tron. it might buy you a few turns but you literally have to use those turns to close out the game or you still die. KCI will just keep drawing slowly until they find the EE to blow up your sphere. Or, if you are playing a deck they may SB Nature's Claim against you, then they have more outs to find.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

jassi007 posted:

It is like Blood Moon vs. Tron. it might buy you a few turns but you literally have to use those turns to close out the game or you still die. KCI will just keep drawing slowly until they find the EE to blow up your sphere. Or, if you are playing a deck they may SB Nature's Claim against you, then they have more outs to find.

It's not even very likely it'll be a slow process. KCI is perfectly capable of tearing through their deck between Fair, Stirrings, and all their cantrip rocks.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Sampatrick posted:

If it dies to EE, you probably don't want to use it as your anti-KCI card.

Dies to removal is still a terrible argument.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Brownhat posted:

If your options in a deck are a card that dies to the available removal and a card that doesn't, play the card that doesn't.

Case in point: Damping Sphere dies to EE, Stony Silence doesn't. Play Stony Silence.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Brownhat posted:

If you're talking about sideboard cards for a challenging matchup, it's really loving relevant if it gets answered by cards that are already in their main, especially when we're talking about a deck like KCI that is just a giant pile of cantrips, recursion, and artifact tutors. 'Dodge EE' is not a plan you want to lean on for more than a handful of turns.

This is like saying 'dies to bolt' isn't a meaningful criticism of a sideboard card against Burn.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

If your options in a deck are a card that dies to the available removal and a card that doesn't, play the card that doesn't.

Case in point: Damping Sphere dies to EE, Stony Silence doesn't. Play Stony Silence.

don't both of them die to engineered explosives?

wait nevermind I am stupid

Edit: just play both ya dingus

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

You know the person asking specifically said they don't have white mana, right?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Sampatrick posted:

It's not even very likely it'll be a slow process. KCI is perfectly capable of tearing through their deck between Fair, Stirrings, and all their cantrip rocks.

I know. I've been playing it. The deck is a blast to play with, I'm fairly certain it is not very fun to play against. Slowly is relative I suppose, I might only get 2 or 3 extra draws per turn with a damping sphere out vs. 4-6 or infinity when it is not.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What's the plan against Surgical? Wait until you have a redundant return-to-hand effect in play before trying to combo?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jabor posted:

What's the plan against Surgical? Wait until you have a redundant return-to-hand effect in play before trying to combo?

Surgical is good when it is t1 or t2 discard spell that gets a Scrap Trawler or KCI followed by surgical. If you are trying to gotcha me with a surgical when I'm comboing odds are pretty poo poo to pull it off unless you find a spot where everything that costs more than the target is not on the battlefield, and neither is Myr Retriever, and I don't have a Buried Ruin to activate. It isn't impossible to disrupt the combo, but its really really hard.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

jassi007 posted:

Surgical is good when it is t1 or t2 discard spell that gets a Scrap Trawler or KCI followed by surgical. If you are trying to gotcha me with a surgical when I'm comboing odds are pretty poo poo to pull it off unless you find a spot where everything that costs more than the target is not on the battlefield, and neither is Myr Retriever, and I don't have a Buried Ruin to activate. It isn't impossible to disrupt the combo, but its really really hard.

Would Dispossess work as a one-card equivalent to discard + surgical, or are you usually fast enough to get things on the battlefield before it comes down?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Jabor posted:

Would Dispossess work as a one-card equivalent to discard + surgical, or are you usually fast enough to get things on the battlefield before it comes down?

Yes if you get it off before I start comboing. So KCI goes off at 4 mana. It has Mind Stone and Mox Opal as accelerants. So t2 with 2 lands, mox opal, activate, play 2nd mox activate is how the deck can get a T2 win. Rare. T3 win, 3 lands plus either mind stone or mox opal, or 2 lands 2 mox opals, or 2 lands mind stone mox opal. The T2 and T3 combo's have higher chances of failing due to less critical mass of stuff to work with. Generally you have 1 or 2 1cmc cards to draw with and not much to loop. The mind stone is pretty important for the very fast clock, as is darksteel citadel and mox opal, but none of those cards are required for the combo. Dispossess or Stain the Mind effects work well. People often want to go after pyrite, but generally game 2 and 3 against a grindy black deck i'm going to bring in Aether Grids and probably the Wurmcoil. The KCI or Scrap Trawler are the highest value targets, its really almost impossible to win without them combo style. Be wary of dying to a couple EE activations, and being beaten down with Scrap Trawlers (they're 3/2's is a clock) or just Aether Gridded to death.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
How the gently caress does this deck even lose, then?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Star Man posted:

Counter poo poo. Kill poo poo before they have KCI. Play graveyard hate. Play artifact hate. Play tax cards, etc etc.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Counter poo poo. Kill poo poo before they have KCI. Play graveyard hate. Play artifact hate. Play tax cards, etc etc.

Combo decks that involve more than two cards just scare and confuse me and I overthink how to beat them. It's one of those things where I like to know what my options are, how the deck's supposed to work, and if it has an Achilles Heel.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It folds pretty hard to counterspells, the problem is that counterspells are bad in Modern right now

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

It folds pretty hard to counterspells, the problem is that counterspells are bad in Modern right now

It's because they cost mana.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Star Man posted:

In the semi-finals of GP Sao Paulo the Mardu Pyromancer pilot tore it up good. His plan was heavy discard and artifact disruption with some pressure (young peezy is good for this). If they ever get the combo-off window and you don't have something to stop them that is relevant, you're dead. I lost a game to Jund he scoozed me in G1 which was really good. G2 spell bomb kept me from going off really early, he got a liliana out that I couldn't pressure while i was working toward an EE plus enough poo poo to combo with. He ult'd Lili, put me way behind on land and just pressured me enough to get lethal. Constant disruptive pressure is the answer. 2 artifact removal spells or 1 damping sphere is not likely to be enough. You need something like that plus hand disruption plus a way to kill while your slowing them down a lot.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Most overrated statement in the world. Jeskai Control, UW Control, and Grixis Death's Shadow are all top tier decks that play permission. The narrative that counterspells are bad in Modern is dumb and not reflective of what the actual format looks like.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Star Man posted:

Combo decks that involve more than two cards just scare and confuse me and I overthink how to beat them. It's one of those things where I like to know what my options are, how the deck's supposed to work, and if it has an Achilles Heel.

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-kci/

In the words of the great Matt Nass "every loop involves KCI and Scap Trawler"

So those are the primary targets to disrupt. They have a KCI in play and cast a scrap trawler? Kill that KCI while the trawler is on the stack. Vice versa? Same deal. Keep in mind showing an early graveyard hate permanent just makes them play cautiously and try to cantrip for EE. If you have a clock this can be in your favor, if you don't your just making the t4 kill into a t6 kill. Stony Silence is the best card because it shuts off EE. They'll sideboard in 4 nature's claim if they think you could have Stony. A timely dispel or other counter on a Nature's Claim would win you the game pretty easily.

Best anti-KCI counter spell. Player at my LGS who likes blue tron busted this out on my friend who was trying out KCI. I cracked up. Who loving plays this card?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

jassi007 posted:

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/how-to-kci/

Best anti-KCI counter spell. Player at my LGS who likes blue tron busted this out on my friend who was trying out KCI. I cracked up. Who loving plays this card?

Because they don't have any copies of Mindbreak Trap.

But there are days that I lament the fact that Extirpate was rendered obsolete by Surgical Extraction.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Hey apparently I got an article published about bant spirits on card knock life: https://www.cardknocklife.com/deck-primer-bant-spirits-post-m19/

Feel free to read my dumb bad opinion, on this weird niche modern deck I play

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mezzanon posted:

Hey apparently I got an article published about bant spirits on card knock life: https://www.cardknocklife.com/deck-primer-bant-spirits-post-m19/

Feel free to read my dumb bad opinion, on this weird niche modern deck I play

Noble Nierarch

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Noble Nierarch

lol, the guy who edited this is terrible.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mezzanon posted:

lol, the guy who edited this is terrible.

It's still a good rundown on the deck and I have it bookmarked.

I just get crosseyed over poo poo like "actively bad."

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

It's still a good rundown on the deck and I have it bookmarked.

I just get crosseyed over poo poo like "actively bad."

that's fair.

Counter point: I am an actively bad writer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mezzanon posted:

that's fair.

Counter point: I am an actively bad writer

You'd be surprised about how little you'd have to change, but that's crap that I can bore you with in tye MtG Discord inatead of here.