Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mr. Maltose posted:

I suffer from developmental disabilities that have stunted my motor skills and I'm autistic. Yes, you shitpiece, I am.

I'm also autistic

Oh you were responding to numbnuts, gonna leave this post anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
congrats, stop using loving slurs then.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm also autistic

Christ

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Forget it

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ok

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bedlamdan posted:

"It's not my fault I can't read and just shitpost for the sake of dunking on you, you're just not dumbing this poo poo down enough for me!"
Sir you are in Catharsis. Get to a Pardoner asap. Tia

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Getting back onto the topic, the original poster updated with a response from WW, and it is some of the finest shade-throwing I've seen in a while.

quote:

Edit: Following the article’s publication, DogWithDice was approached directly by Tobias Sjögren, CEO of White Wolf publishing, requesting the chance to speak with concerning the article mentioned. We were invited to email Tobias. After some consideration, we put together the following questions to raise. This screenshot is edited to remove personal details only.

During the time between sending this reply, we were startled by the attention that the article received, both in terms of positive and negative reception. Much of the negative reaction was phrased, once again, around the conceit that “vampires are evil” – a statement echoed by many fans of and a few creative minds at White Wolf including Mark Rein-Hagen, which we had previously discussed in chapter 5 of the article and felt was very lacking.

During this time, we also received emails from concerned individuals who are unconnected with this site, stated that they had received death threats from others as the result of this article. So as not to encourage such behavior, we will keep this source anonymous, however we would be remiss in pointing out these actions in relation to a discussion about ‘evil’.

We received the following reply.

CC’d into the conversation is Jason Carl,CEO of By Night Studios. Some of the points that were mentioned as questions in our email are answered, some are not. After much consideration, we feel that the statement that has been issued in the email by Tobias Sjögren is sufficient in response to the article posted. We do not feel that verbal communication would be the best means to ensure transparency and accuracy in reporting of the discussion to our readers. As a result we are happy to include Sjögren’s statement here as a post-script for the article.

That is some of the best 'it is pointless to talk to you because you will misrepresent anything we discuss' I've seen implied in quite some time.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

That is some of the best 'it is pointless to talk to you because you will misrepresent anything we discuss' I've seen implied in quite some time.

Hm.

Man I don't know. I wish I had more insight into what was happening behind the scenes. On the one hand, pretty much all the stuff pointed out in the article still stands - notably, no desire to denounce Zak or even mention him, or Mark, for that matter; and this whole, 'we want to talk to you' thing just seems, I don't know, stupid, but who knows, maybe the writer can angle into a 'consultant' credit here or something. More likely they're just trying to sea-lion the writer by moving the discussion out of the visible sphere.

Denouncing nazism is, you know, the point; but if they don't adjust the tone of their work, or change significant details, I have no reason to believe them. Actions and words and all that. You can say, 'oh yeah, I agree, nazis suck' all day but if you've still got a swastika on your coaster I'm going to have questions.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
So I was reading the new Geist update and saw the character creation section, which didn't surprise me, but reminded me of something that's bothered me ever since someone pointed it out to me with respect to Demon.

This might be a lost cause given how old the precedent is by now, but please consider reversing the order of character creation in Chronicles of Darkness books. Choosing attributes and skills before you apply the supernatural template and choose a splat is counterproductive, from a mechanical, organizational, and flavor standpoint.

Characters in CoD games are defined, primarily, by their powers. The powers they have access to are usually at least partially dictated by their "type" (bloodline/path/etc) and culture splats, and splats are subsets of game line. The mechanical effectiveness of powers depends on your investment in specific attributes, specific skills, and power stat. An effective character -- and I'm not even talking about insane optimization tricks or individually broken powers or merits, just in terms of being good at the things you want your character to be good at -- is virtually always one that picks a group of powers with a lot of overlapping attributes and skills and invests heavily in those attributes and skills. (Because then they get to roll a ton of dice any time they do the things they're specialized in.)

There are probably arguments for choosing splats before powers or powers before splats, but both splats and powers should absolutely come before choosing attributes or skills.

First, because of the reasons mentioned above -- you're just more likely to make effective characters this way without having to be deeply familiar with the mechanics of the game. Veteran players will figure this out on their own, but you shouldn't be penalized for innocently following the instructions you're given.

Second, because powers are often not organized by the attributes/skills that power them, it makes sense to pick out cool powers and then back them up with the appropriate dots, rather than picking out attributes and then struggling to find powers that they enable. There's no easy way to find all the "social powers" in e.g. Demon, let alone Presence + Persuasion-based powers -- you just have to check all the Embeds and Exploits and make notes as you go. (Promethean is kinda-sorta an exception because the Refinements often do map to Mental / Physical / Social, at least to some degree, and of course once you start talking about Mage everything goes straight out the window, but the point mostly applies to most game lines.)

Third, because from a flavor standpoint splat is honestly the most important part of character concept, even in the game lines where it doesn't have a ton of mechanical weight. If you're playing a Mekhet, it's probably because you think "Egyptian-themed vampire made of whispers and shadows" is a cool idea. It might not be more important than "my character is an arrogant and manipulative jerk who likes to get his way" or whatever, but it's definitely more central than "I guess I only need two dots in Composure."

An an addendum, I know that a lot of World of Darkness characters are, conceptually, ordinary people who got turned into monsters, and this makes the "build a human character, and then apply the monster template" appealing -- and I sort of agree, but I don't think it's worth the downsides.

Also, for Demons it just straight-up isn't true. :colbert:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jul 10, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also while it isn't my personal favorite, the more I compare different Chronicles of Darkness games to each other the more I realize that Promethean 2E is better-designed than most of them and should probably be used as a model for how to do things right in future games

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 10, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Oh you want the splat to come before the mechanics? Like in Werewolf the Forsaken

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Basic Chunnel posted:

Oh you want the splat to come before the mechanics? Like in Werewolf the Forsaken

I'm confused, I just checked my WtF 2E PDF and it looks the same as every other line:

(page 84, character creation quick reference)

1. Concept
2. Attributes
3. Skills
4. Skill Specialties
5. Forsaken Traits
6. Merits
7. Advantages

Was it different in 1E or something?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mendrian posted:

but if you've still got a swastika on your coaster I'm going to have questions.

I bought it in Mumbai

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Chapter 3 of the Geist manuscript, or, "we will outline clearly in a bulleted list how you acquire Keys, how you Unlock Keys, and what benefits you derive from doing so," is in the running for biggest improvement over 1e by itself.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Chapter 3 of the Geist manuscript, or, "we will outline clearly in a bulleted list how you acquire Keys, how you Unlock Keys, and what benefits you derive from doing so," is in the running for biggest improvement over 1e by itself.

It is delightful. That... didn't put me off of Demon, but Ciphers can be hard.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ciphers are probably the most difficult and time-consuming thing I've ever had to do as a GM.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Hey folks! Please don't throw "retarded" around, even if you are autistic yourself. :buddy:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Onyx Path weighs in.

OP posted:

Long time readers of this blog might have noticed that we, or the tabletop RPG business as a whole, often have incidents occur during the course of a year that flare up on social media for one reason or the other that Onyx Path doesn’t really officially comment on. This isn’t an accident, as I don’t think a lot is gained by verbally sparring in social media while we have games and books that need to be created and made available to all of you folks.
This can be frustrating. I mean really, really, head is going to explode, frustrating. Particularly when ourselves or our friends are being attacked online.
But here is a statement I _do_ need to make officially, although I never thought it would have been necessary. It, in fact, squicks me out to think that the world needs to hear this, but since a whole bunch of folks have indicated that they’d feel a lot better if I said it, there you go:
Onyx Path is against Nazis. We do not support Nazis, and if you are reading this and self-identify as a Nazi, we don’t make these games for you. Don’t buy them, or steal them, or read them, or play them.
Simplistic and low-hanging fruit, maybe, but this is something I thought was painfully obvious about us. Yet, clearly it was not. Hence this statement, made in all seriousness to hopefully end any confusion, and starting us out today so that you, our loyal readers, know where we stand first.
And now we’ll get back to our usual mix of hi-jinks and project info.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So basically the universal company line on all fronts will be 'we're actually the victims here, and we're very brave saying we don't like nazis while calling you idiots for pointing out dogwhistles'?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ettin posted:

Hey folks! Please don't throw "retarded" around, even if you are autistic yourself. :buddy:

okay randy

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Ciphers are probably the most difficult and time-consuming thing I've ever had to do as a GM.

Ciphers are a lot easier if you can identify a theme in the character or their arc. Don't try to have them cooked up on the front end, just fill it in as things go on and it becomes a hell of a lot easier.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Also MRH posted about it, basically answering none of the allegations and instead just trying (but failing) to cover his rear end. The URL he linked is White Wolf's initial bad response - MRH didn't post the article itself. Probably because it includes a telling screenshot of him telling people to submit rather than fight back.

Mark Rein-Hagen posted:

I am curious if anyone thinks it is possible to create any kind of "edgy or mores challenging" RPG that would NOT offend a single sub-group seriously but would still appeal to a bare majority of the polities/segments/minorities/politics/CLANS
within the RPG world?

Serious question.

I am starting to wonder.

Is EDGY, in any sense of the word, possible in such a culturally bifurcated world?

The reason I ask is this, in case you didn't hear about it is:

https://tinyurl.com/y7g9xu6f

Some pretty vile accusations towards White Wolf, V5, and me....

And this is what I wrote in response to some of the comments:

"To those accusing me of being a gamergater, Tea party enthusiast and even fascist I have say you are not only misinformed, but lazily so. I've spent the last 20 years supporting color revolutions and anti-authoritarian causes all over the world in a wide variety of ways, and have experienced a couple of a wars as a result.

I am proudly 'capital L' international liberal, anti-fascist and a longtime pacifist who supports and preaches the Albert Einstein Institution 198 methods of Non-violence written by Gene Sharp wherever I go.

Anyone who would call me anything other than I actually am has a dark and perhaps even evil agenda of some kind and is trying to to destroy me and my reputation for purposes of their own.

I can only quote Churchill on this (well, its not really Churchill, but its still dead on):

"The Fascists of the future will call themselves the anti-fascists"

Me, I don't hate anyone, not even the most arrogant authoritarians among us (thought I do hate authoritarianism). I just fight the good fight against the full on fascists, the ones IN POWER who are actually doing harm to large numbers of people and society as a whole.

And BTW, I still think its piss poor tactics and morally wrong to punch peacefully protesting Nazi's in the face, more than ever in fact, the USA is close enough as it is to civil war, thank you very much. Violence gives the right wing an excuse for violence, we can't give them their golden ticket.

In case no one has noticed the world is going to poo poo right now, the extreme right wing and authoritarianism is on the rise everywhere. We need to spend our time combating our true antagonists rather than try to ensure political purity laws and making enemies out of allies."

Then later I added:

"As I tell everyone, nonviolent protest is the hardest thing you will ever do in your life. Its not like in the movies, you don't feel heroic or noble. We humans are full of rage and self righteous anger, especially when attacked... Its much harder to do the right thing and win as a movement than do the wrong thing that FEELS RIGHT as an individual.

But its the only way we can win in the long run against fascists."

So what do you think, is it truly impossible to...

NOT ONLY

please everyone, but to NOT offend anyone and still be appealed to someone?

Have we really fallen this far from cultural sanity?

Please say it ain't so.

:::UPDATE:::

What is important to know is that I don't hate anyone, and I CERTAINLY don't want anyone hating anyone on my behalf. I've spent most of my personal life trying to live by a non-violent philosophy where I provoke people but I try to NEVER hurt them.

I truly believe that these people who spread lies of hate about others are extremely troubled people who while should be clearly shown the correct, proper and polite way to conduct themselves in life, whether offline or off, should also be shown mercy and sympathy.

And well yes also pity.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

sexpig by night posted:

So basically the universal company line on all fronts will be 'we're actually the victims here, and we're very brave saying we don't like nazis while calling you idiots for pointing out dogwhistles'?

There is a paper-thin, but present, barrier between the people making the games that Swededracula has openly stated he'd prefer to cancel immediately and Swededracula himself.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah like I don't know what people expect OPP to do as long as their existence is tied to having Chronicles of Darkness books to put out

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

yeah like I don't know what people expect OPP to do as long as their existence is tied to having Chronicles of Darkness books to put out

OPP is in the unenviable position of licensing back an IP they created from someone who can't wait to use the same IP to bring us all back to the 90s in a gleaming nazi chariot.

I don't know what I would do in their position.

In other news, lol at the MRH quote. Anybody making that Churchill quote has to know what they sound like.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

OPP also has a lot of good actions and writing to back up their position of "We don't want Nazis to buy our stuff" even if the statement isn't the best. NuWW and MRH up above have been either too cowardly or too greedy to even say something as basic as telling Nazis they're not welcome. MRH is trying to both sides this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
if you want to yell at someone yell at Paradox but good luck because those guys have made it clear they don't give a fuuuuuuuck about how many fascists and Nazis are in their audience

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Huh, looks like Scion Origin is out to backers this week. Meanwhile, Signs of Sorcery is stuck in Development still. Hopefully it'll be out before the end of the year.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Is MR*H saying that it is the duty of Liberals to educate facists away from their evil ways?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kurieg posted:

Is MR*H saying that it is the duty of Liberals to educate facists away from their evil ways?

Yes, because violent self-defense is a breach of :decorum:.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
good luck to onyx path. White Wolf has pretty much thrown itself in the toilet. That MRH statement is pretty much par for the troglodyte course, gamer gate level non-denial

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mendrian posted:

OPP is in the unenviable position of licensing back an IP they created from someone who can't wait to use the same IP to bring us all back to the 90s in a gleaming nazi chariot.

I don't know what I would do in their position.

In other news, lol at the MRH quote. Anybody making that Churchill quote has to know what they sound like.

Yea, fair. I guess I'm just bitter about all this, but yea opp is pretty deep in rock vs hard place territory.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/wwpublishing/status/1016548638695272448
That... literally doesn't even change one of the numbers, you freaking idiots at best.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 10, 2018

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Don't use embed tags

And seriously due to the way rolls are resolved, that's functionally identical to 7 6 2 1.

You do not need 8 8. You don't even need the loving 4.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Don't use embed tags

How should I post that? Just the [url]'s I just ended up with? Sorry, every time I have to embed a tweet on these forums I've forgotten and the BBCode page doesn't help.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Oh yes, let's put it backwards. Flawless disguise there, Swedish Alucard.

EDIT: Aren't all the other example rolls arranged in lowest to highest order?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Zereth posted:

Oh yes, let's put it backwards. Flawless disguise there, Swedish Alucard.

EDIT: Aren't all the other example rolls arranged in lowest to highest order?

*edits numbers to be hitler's birthday*

no one will see through my clever disguise

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Wait, hold up, I'm legit having some trouble here.

Is 'You shouldn't punch a Nazi because you shouldn't be running around punching people' a problem position now?

I've been riding the 'try not to hate people' train for a while now, and I'm gonna feel bad if I start catching flak because I'm perceived as being soft on crime or something.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Crasical posted:

Wait, hold up, I'm legit having some trouble here.

Is 'You shouldn't punch a Nazi because you shouldn't be running around punching people' a problem position now?

I've been riding the 'try not to hate people' train for a while now, and I'm gonna feel bad if I start catching flak because I'm perceived as being soft on crime or something.

On the one hand, running around and punching people in general isn't a good idea.

On the other hand, when it happens to a Nazi nobody should really care because Nazis are societal cancer.

So what's emerged since Richard Spencer famously got turned into a living meme by being a Nazi who got punched on national television is that a lot of people have started to try and assert that in order to win by taking the high road that not even Nazis should be punched and that people who punch Nazis are undermining the cause of decency, and a number of these people seem more concerned with chiding Nazi punchers than actual Nazis.

Mark Rein Dot Hagen says "As I tell everyone, nonviolent protest is [...] the only way we can win in the long run against fascists." Now ignoring whether or not this statement is true in a broad sense (I don't actually think it's a universal truth that the only way society can stave off fascism is through some utopian ideal of nonviolent protest), someone brought up the heavy/black metal scene and how it kind of got gradually intertwined with a lot of neo-Nazi/fascist hangers-on and it reminds me of something I read about the punk music scene, which is that back when there was a punk music scene a bunch of neo-Nazis and similar sorts wanted to make the scene their home and, being the sorts of people they were, they began to poo poo it up. Nazis, as it turns out, are huge fuckin assholes and so at every venue where the Nazis were allowed to show up and participated unmolested, things gradually got worse and worse as the Nazis started fights, broke stuff, and drove off otherwise decent people who just wanted to show up and listen to some punk.

So what happened? Did the punk scene band together in harmonious nonviolent protest? No, they started kicking the poo poo out of Nazis and telling them to gently caress off, because that was the only language that the Nazi punks understood and it was either that or let the Nazis in and erode everything like the poison people they are.

The tl;dr is anybody who makes a big stink about Nazis getting punched and how awful and shameful it is to do a thing like that is someone with a badly misplaced sense of priorities at best, or a dumb rear end in a top hat at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

Mark Rein Dot Hagen says "As I tell everyone, nonviolent protest is [...] the only way we can win in the long run against fascists." Now ignoring whether or not this statement is true in a broad sense (I don't actually think it's a universal truth that the only way society can stave off fascism is through some utopian ideal of nonviolent protest),
I've never seen anybody provide an example of it working, myself.