Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I love a game with a good coffee through-line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Colonel posted:

imo deadly premonition is a lot more functional and less weird

I'll disagree on function because you don't actually have to try and maneuver a vehicle in Omnikron, but man I wish David Cage continued to make weird adventure games instead of making movies on consoles.

Omnikron and Anachronox were an awakening for me. Weird sci-fi kind of died in the 2000s.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bury My Shell at Wounded Knee.

Bury Me On The Lonely Prairie, You Little poo poo, I loving Dare You

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I'm wondering about how many Mii owners are dead now...

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

mutata posted:

I'm wondering about how many Mii owners are dead now...

There’s lots of Wii Bowling going on in nursing homes. :waycool:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I trusted Barry in REmake and knocked a very sad mutated girl down a pit. How could I not trust the big guy?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I used to play Wii Bowling with my family, until my father beat me at it one day.

I retired from Wii Bowling out of gamer shame. :smith:

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 10, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Out of curiosity does anybody who posts here know what is up with all of the Samus profile pics?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

I'll disagree on function because you don't actually have to try and maneuver a vehicle in Omnikron, but man I wish David Cage continued to make weird adventure games instead of making movies on consoles.

Omnikron and Anachronox were an awakening for me. Weird sci-fi kind of died in the 2000s.

i don't really want to give props to omikron for having a neat setting because it absolutely wastes it on a script that tries to be so self-aware it loops back around to being dumb instead of intriguing and its approach only makes the more vaguely gross parts in the first couple hours even grosser

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

In my will I added a clause to delete all of my save games and MMO characters after I die

dying in real life is the true ending to NieR

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

haveblue posted:

Heh, sweet Skyrim reference

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

The Colonel posted:

i don't really want to give props to omikron for having a neat setting because it absolutely wastes it on a script that tries to be so self-aware it loops back around to being dumb instead of intriguing and its approach only makes the more vaguely gross parts in the first couple hours even grosser
Also its an insult to compare it to Anarchonox because Anachronox is actually real good and is genuinely funny.

Cage keeps making games while Anarchonox will never have the sequel it desperately needs. :smith:

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jul 10, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Hunt11 posted:

Out of curiosity does anybody who posts here know what is up with all of the Samus profile pics?

Something about the SGDQ run of Metroid games being good

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hunt11 posted:

The SGDQ thread posted a lot of fanart and there’s so much avatar-able art of Samus outside the suit that it just kinda became a thing. :comfysamus:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

We funded Lowtax's spine for the month with some very good avatars and emotes :justass:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hunt11 posted:

Samus hacked the forums

for a little while the main page just said "CH0Z0WNED" and "HAXX FINAL"

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Hunt11 posted:

it's because samus rules OP

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Samus is a 6’10” musclebound terror capable of destroying entire pirate fortresses and is the adoptive mother of the last Metroid, an animal bred to destroy the universe. The question you should be asking is why you don’t have her in your avatar.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I do, she's right there

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

bloodychill posted:

Samus is a 6’10” musclebound terror capable of destroying entire pirate fortresses and is the adoptive mother of the last Metroid, an animal bred to destroy the universe. The question you should be asking is why you don’t have her in your avatar.

I never knew she was so big and sooner or later I should get around to actually getting rid of the newbie one I haven't bothered to get rid off for five years.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
The time of mandatory Samus avs is soon upon us

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I revisited very B-tier game Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 again, and uh, I like it more? It's no Metal Gear Solid but it's fun to sneak around with a big rifle and pick off dudes one at a time with the help of your little drone that beeps like a cellphone to lure guys into dark corners.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

A good time.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

in a world where samus is mandatory, I will become shanoa

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Taintrunner posted:

I revisited very B-tier game Sniper: Ghost Warrior 3 again, and uh, I like it more? It's no Metal Gear Solid but it's fun to sneak around with a big rifle and pick off dudes one at a time with the help of your little drone that beeps like a cellphone to lure guys into dark corners.

i like the utterly bizarre mission where you go to a bar and bet on boxing and there's zero sniping or even stealth involved

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

corn in the bible posted:

i like the utterly bizarre mission where you go to a bar and bet on boxing and there's zero sniping or even stealth involved

What the gently caress this sounds rad as hell

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

corn in the bible posted:

I played it a couple of months ago and this was my favorite bit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyMNos31fwk

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i think the stealth is improved by disabling some of the ui so you have to rely on your gadgets more. they simply don't make charmingly shoddy b-grade stealth games anymore!

also sgw3 basically destroyed the company, so maybe there's a good reason for that :shrug:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Help Im Alive posted:

(if you were bad you go to playstation home)

if it means going here then I'm fine with that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFKghyabkEU

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Bury My Shell at Wounded Knee.

Bury me with my...

money

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 10, 2018

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Also its an insult to compare it to Anarchonox because Anachronox is actually real good and is genuinely funny.

Cage keeps making games while Anarchonox will never have the sequel it desperately needs. :smith:

Anachronox is also a game whose gameplay does itself a great disservice. Both games have genuinely great world building and I celebrate them for looking unlike anything else that came out in that time.

Project Eden was another neat weird sci-fi game of a pre-9/11 world, a squad based shooter/puzzle game with a squad of POC and a disabled lady fused to a hulking Robocop body.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Thinking about late 90s games I'm sure Urban Chaos is still the only action game to this day where the main character was a black woman.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GUI posted:

Thinking about late 90s games I'm sure Urban Chaos is still the only action game to this day where the main character was a black woman.
The only other one with just a female black protag I can think of is rear end Creed Liberation with Aveline.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Remember Me had a black lady protagonist iirc

Also any game that lets me make my own character.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Beat hyper light drifter. A lot i dont like about it but i had fun :shrug:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Playing Clock Tower (technically Clock Tower 2) and the creepiest thing about the game is how many people hit on this 15 year old abuse victim. That also makes it the most believably written game from this period.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Anachronox is also a game whose gameplay does itself a great disservice. Both games have genuinely great world building and I celebrate them for looking unlike anything else that came out in that time.

i mean. it's really hard for me to honestly appreciate the worldbuilding in omikron, when it feels like the game's attempts at making it seem more "real" and less like just a video game world are uh, to constantly remind you that you're playing a video game. it's like you have a game with a pretty decently interesting, convincing world all around you, and then literally the core focus of the entire game takes zero advantage of any of it

i can even see what it's going for, it's just, going for it in the worst way i have ever possibly seen even among games that break the fourth wall as a major element of the plot

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shadow Tactics is fun, though I don't think I'm going to go for the various challenges.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

The Colonel posted:

i mean. it's really hard for me to honestly appreciate the worldbuilding in omikron, when it feels like the game's attempts at making it seem more "real" and less like just a video game world are uh, to constantly remind you that you're playing a video game. it's like you have a game with a pretty decently interesting, convincing world all around you, and then literally the core focus of the entire game takes zero advantage of any of it

i can even see what it's going for, it's just, going for it in the worst way i have ever possibly seen even among games that break the fourth wall as a major element of the plot

I like the game over sequence where it implies you, the player, literally had their soul sent to hell, yet for some reason lets you reload.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

bloodychill posted:

My favorite thing in the Metroid series is still the logs you can get in the first Prime game that are essentially happening in real time once you hit the space pirate facility. It's just entry after entry of them making GBS threads themselves in terror because Samus found the facility.

Runner-up might be the moment in Prime 2 where Samus makes a detour in the dark world to murder pirates who have been trapped in the hell dimension for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I want my tombstone to read "Take me back to Silent Hill" and have a small motion sensor speaker that starts broadcasting static whenever anyone gets closer to my grave.

• Locked thread