Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Thanks Ants posted:

Has anybody actually solved the issue where you introduce something, give people training on the new thing, and then they just constantly forget and continue to do things the old way which then breaks everything? It seems like it's only really solvable from the top, and requires people willing to put some effort in.

Ideally, you remove the old way of doing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Yah this

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Thanatosian posted:

Ideally, you remove the old people.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Thanatosian posted:

We 'officially' moved to Teams at the end of last year, but they won't turn off S4B because they're worried about all the people still using it.

I just removed it from the startup menu and don't use it, if someone wants me they can use the correct solution.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

Ticket from a sales rep: how do i edit this contact's phone number?

Me: go to the contacts tab and click edit.

Sales rep: okay, now how do i edit an address?

Me: :headdesk:

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
i think someone just threw up on a conference call :stare:

after-hours calls are always interesting.

edit: ok i think she was just coughing really badly and gasping for air, but sounded pretty bad

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

First of May posted:

:byodame: : Hahahahahahah, I'm just not good with technology!

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

First of May posted:

"I can't access <server> Please reboot the server if it's on, and power it on if it's off, and let me know afterwards."

"I just looked, it's on, what should I do?"

"Reboot it"

"What's that?"

A technical site contact.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Weaponized Autism posted:

i think someone just threw up on a conference call :stare:

after-hours calls are always interesting.

edit: ok i think she was just coughing really badly and gasping for air, but sounded pretty bad

did you also hear a bubbling sound? :ohdear:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

RFC2324 posted:

That’s just the humidifier.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I had someone throw up on a call. It was just about the saddest sound I've ever heard. His boss asked if he was okay to continue. What kind of boss are you if you don't demand the guy drop and take the day?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I had someone throw up on a call. It was just about the saddest sound I've ever heard. His boss asked if he was okay to continue. What kind of boss are you if you don't demand the guy drop and take the day?

I'd actually be upset if I got taken off a call because I got sick in the middle of it, as long as my boss gave me the option to decide for myself if I could finish it out.

If I am in the office, the concern would be health issues for the rest of the team, but if I am on an incident call from home, I'm enough of an adult to decide if I can finish the job I started.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

RFC2324 posted:

I'd actually be upset if I got taken off a call because I got sick in the middle of it, as long as my boss gave me the option to decide for myself if I could finish it out.

If I am in the office, the concern would be health issues for the rest of the team, but if I am on an incident call from home, I'm enough of an adult to decide if I can finish the job I started.
Lie-Bot, what is the saddest thing?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

anthonypants posted:

Lie-Bot, what is the saddest thing?

sorry we don't all share your priorities. i value fixing poo poo enough to power through a little sickness, specially since 75% of the time once i puke I'm pretty much fine.

the rest of the time I'm so sick i wouldn't be on the call in the first place

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

RFC2324 posted:

I have seriously had this happen. About a second later the cacaphonies of "what the hell", and wild laughter started. Apparently the person running the meeting (large, close to 100 attendees) unmuted all at the right time.

As far as I know no one has ever fessed up to it, and the reaction was so wild that they didn't get a chance to see where the sound was coming from before all the lines lit up with confusion

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I feel better when I throw up after poisoning. I know when I have food poisoning, I know when I'm going to throw up, and I know I'm going to feel better when it happens. But I believe etiquette demands that if something was in your stomach, and it's now in your toilet, by way of your mouth, your work day is over. Even if you feel super good.

If you want to insist you're fine and stay on the call, that should be your call. But the boss shouldn't be asking you and yes technically I can remain on this call I'll just be slumped in my own clammy sweat if you need me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I feel better when I throw up after poisoning.

I thought you could afford a royal taster by now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexxed posted:

A REAL MC should know what they can and can't touch :colbert:.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Rexxed posted:

If I can remember correctly MC has a baby / kid, there is no more 'affording' anything at this point. Every dollar spent is one that doesn't get into a college fund, vacation fund, babysitter fund, sanity fund...

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I've got multiple kids, and being a fresh MC doesn't pay like it used to. Enemies closing in from all sides.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Jul 10, 2018

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Printer was 'catching on fire' so HP sends a tech out as it's only like 6 months old.

Guy that shows up was totally clueless. Sat there for an hour watching videos on how to take it apart. After 4 hours he leaves. Going to get some other tech to look at it I guess.

HP better be sending me a new/refurbished printer by the end of the day.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bob Morales posted:

Printer was 'catching on fire' so HP sends a tech out as it's only like 6 months old.

Guy that shows up was totally clueless. Sat there for an hour watching videos on how to take it apart. After 4 hours he leaves. Going to get some other tech to look at it I guess.

Thats a nice art installation. You could probably sell it for some cash.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sprechensiesexy posted:

Thats a nice art installation. You could probably sell it for some cash.

Anonymous HP Tech (b. 1982)
Incompetence interrupted, 2018
Plastic and metal on wood

A testament to capitalism and the ephemeral nature of hardware as a service
$30,000

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No joking, I had to check twice because I thought someone had glued random computer parts to a wooden wall panel.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Bob Morales posted:

For a second I thought it was all somehow hanging vertically and not that the picture was rotated.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A REAL MC should know what they can and can't touch :colbert:.

Magic.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Training the new guy today.

I love having well trained people that do things The Right Way (read: my way)

I don't terribly enjoy the actual act of training them. This one is taking notes and asking questions at least.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm amazed that HP send someone out to repair a small printer like that

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Thanks Ants posted:

I'm amazed that HP send someone out to repair a small printer like that

Yea, it's a M506n. It did cost $863 so I guess they won't just send us another right away.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I'm willing to bet the $40 fee that the technician is making on that call that he was dispatched by Barrister.

It definitely smells of their special brand of poo poo show.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hi Jim,

Do you think that Marketing will need the iPad going forward? I am finding it extremely useful so would like to use it going forward and it would be great if I did not have to buy another one. I am totally OK if you guys need it back and would just ask that I could keep it a few more weeks until I buy a new one, but if you think you could get by with only one I would love to just keep this one.

Either way, just let me know and I really appreciate you letting me borrow it!

Owner's Kid

Owner's Kid,
I am glad you are venturing into the mobile work place space and experimenting with the iPad Pro. I hope it is showcasing the power of a mobile workspace and it is beneficial to your workflow.

At some point, our marketing team will need the iPad back as we continue to move forward with mobile marketing solutions for the company. Not in a super rush, but hopefully you are able to purchase a new iPad in the coming weeks for yourself.

--
Jim

Hi Jim,

Yes it is working well and once I get all the bugs figured out, I might start recommending others try something like this.

Do you think you could use the tradeshow one for what marketing will need? We do not really go to tradeshows where we need an iPad. The only reason I am pushing a little bit is that it will be harder for me to justify a new one if I am buying it. I think even if you guys could just use the one and I will use this one, but if you need a new one then buy it at that time.

Thank you for considering this again.

Owner's Kid

What a dick. Buy your own loving iPad you just got like a $25k distribution from YOUR COMPANY this month.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Bob Morales posted:

What a dick. Buy your own loving iPad you just got like a $25k distribution from YOUR COMPANY this month.

Owners Kid,

Unfortunately several of Marketing's possible future marketing solutions require the features found on the iPad Pro, and we will definitely need it for development of those solutions going forward. The tradeshow ipad uses older hardware and software, and is not conducive to developing cutting edge mobile marketing solutions with. You will need to purchase a separate iPad Pro.

You stingy bastard,

Bob

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

So the owners kid is a dick but I can't really see any good coming from arguing with the guy. Can you not just defer to the owner and keep the email for when you inevitably get asked where the marketing iPad is?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Our marketing department is a glorified graphics design department. They don't go to any trade shows or assist the sales team in any way other than printing up flyers, making powerpoints and printing user guides.

I'm not sure what they bought two iPad Pros for, but they had me order them so I got dragged into it.

Owners kid came to us looking for an iPad to take notes on, I suggested he try out one of the iPad Pros with the pencil in marketing, and I guess now he doesn't want to give it back instead of just buying one for himself. Typical. lol

They won't let Marketing buy another one to replace it so now they're in a big tiff. WHAT THE gently caress DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ME? Why am I in here being questioned on who asked me to buy them? CEO approved it, look at the drat PO. I'm just a monkey doing others bidding.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Rexxed posted:

"He likes it! Hey, Mikey!"

*Mikey falls over & dies of cyanide poisoning*

E: poo poo pissing me off - a combination of people not updating our ticket system groups & members, also not keeping track of software being used. I ran into both today where an app was trying to connect to a network path that no longer existed, so I found out many things:

- The application has no documentation on setup outside "go to this server path to install"
- The team that's supposed to own the app & know the most about it has no clue or information about it
- The server team that moved the network share to a different server has incorrect team members listed
- Said server team also moved the network share without notifying anyone, so phones blew up & caused a big mess

So the first had me trying to fix the app, which won't even open & there aren't any config files, registry keys, or folders that can be changed to point to the new server share path. Second point, obviously, is the team that's supposed to have the info apparently hasn't worked with it before, or it's been so long that they stopped caring. Finally, I reached out to the server team, only to find out a couple people had since either moved on from the company, or had moved to different roles, so my boss chewed me out about that. When I brought up that someone should've updated that information however long ago, I'm met with blank stares or given the excuse to "ask around" instead of using the (now known to be unreliable) team listings.

Sometimes I want to beat people mercilessly until their heads fall out of their asses and they can see how stupid they're being. Goddamn.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 10, 2018

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Pissing me off: I'm working an event tonight as a favor for my boss. Power point, a handful of speakers, followed by a panel discussion. I'm here for the power point and mics. I specifically advised a dry run the day before, just to help catch anything they hadn't thought of. No go until this afternoon, a couple hours before the event. Well, they wanted a slideshow up during the panel discussion, but they're sitting in barstool-style chairs, which means if the chairs are where they should be relative to the audience, the panel is looking straight into the projectors. Had to move those forward, and it looks dumb. Then, they didn't get me the power point until half an hour before the event was supposed to start (people were already showing up), and they wanted to know if they could just edit it on the computer it's showing from. The intro slide is up, and there are a whole bunch of people here.

Why is it so loving hard for people to have their presentations ready the day before? It really doesn't seem like it should be difficult.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

He's back today, bright and early.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Bob Morales posted:

I suggested he try out one of the iPad Pros with the pencil in marketing

quote:

WHAT THE gently caress DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH ME?

Owner's Kid to Dad: "Well, Bob said I could use the marketing iPad, take it up with him!"

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Apex Rogers posted:

Owner's Kid to Dad: "Well, Bob said I could use the marketing iPad, take it up with him!"

Is the owner’s kid actually like 50 because the owner is like 80? That makes this even better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Aunt Beth posted:

Is the owner’s kid actually like 50 because the owner is like 80? That makes this even better.

29 and 80 (?) :q: