Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

StrixNebulosa posted:

Megatron is a what

That's one hell of a take, even with IDW going off the deepend.
There's a long CineD thread based around the idea that the Transformers are actually good and interesting because Optimus Prime's characterisation is different to the cartoons.

I assume it's from there because of the way Megatron's model changes is one of the films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I meant to open Assassins Creed Syndicate but instead opened Assassins Creed Unity. Needless to say, I was so disheartened by the experience I simply shut down the machine

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

oldpainless posted:

I meant to open Assassins Creed Syndicate but instead opened Assassins Creed Unity. Needless to say, I was so disheartened by the experience I simply shut down the machine

more like oldheartless

For content, MGS 5 keeps tricking me. The 'kidnap person' button is X, but I keep hitting square because of muscle memory from like every other game, so Snake just ends up doing some kind of weird weight exercize with the people instead of stealing them.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Vampyr has lots of bad little things but two in particular strike me.

On the gameplay side:
you can deplete an enemy's stun meter to stun them. This lets you suck their blood. They then get up and have a longer stun meter.
The game never tells you that if you don't suck their blood, their stun-meter only half-refills and doesn't get larger. Unless you really need the blood (and there are powers and particular weapons for that anyway) then biting is actually a bad idea most of the time, and especially so against most bosses.

On the story side:
The game seems to be pushing the idea that the Priwen Guard (vampire hunters) are fanatics and unreasonable and prone to killing innocents. Except both in story and in gameplay this isn't actually borne out at all.
1. They're recruiting and acting in large numbers because of the Skal (flesh-eating ghoul) epidemic, a situation in which it is reasonably to mobilise.
2. When they declare a Great Hunt on all vampires, they actually have a specific list of Ekons (blood vampires) they're targetting rather than going indiscriminately. When they do kill an Ekon in self-defence they actually check them against the list and go "whoops, but it's not like our boss will probably mind and it was the vampire's fault anyway".
3. When you run across them in the open world (which is extremely frequently), they will literally warn you off saying "not a good night to be out, sir!" and "you'd best turn around and go home!" and only attack you when you get too close to them. Not only are they mostly seeming like normal guys but they actually have Actual Holy Dudes who are able to use Faith Powers to harm you.

So yeah the game keeps saying "The Priwen are dangerous, they're out of control" when they actually seem a totally normal group doing their best to stop a vampire epidemic that occasionally does bad things on a small scale (e.g. robbing a woman) because they're recruiting so rapidly. Nothing they do actually seems unjustified.
When you confront their leader, his paranoia about the role the protagonist and his friends have in the plague ends up being like 80% correct.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Doctor Spaceman posted:

There's a long CineD thread based around the idea that the Transformers are actually good and interesting because Optimus Prime's characterisation is different to the cartoons.

I assume it's from there because of the way Megatron's model changes is one of the films.

Thanks for the info - I have questions but I'm not curious enough to look into it deeper.

Anyways, content:

- Doom's dark sections weren't fun to poke through. They're like, find the night vision goggles asap and then hurry.

- Tomb Raider (2013) opening with a horror sequence nearly put me off of playing it. Tied up upside down by a cannibal? I came for adventure!

- I also have been playing Prey and I... can't think of anything annoying so far, outside of my personal dislike for the deco, and the bit where it was more Bioshock than System Shock. ... Wait! It's where January is all "you're going here? How did you know the elevator is busted?" and like. January. You were sending me to the elevator in the first place. Did you know it was busted?

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

- Tomb Raider (2013) opening with a horror sequence nearly put me off of playing it. Tied up upside down by a cannibal? I came for adventure!

That is adventure. you don't end up in that situation without some kind of adventure happening. Many adventure stories have horror elements to them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The tone of TR2013's opening is a little gratuitous but it very quickly shifts gears to a more bombastic adventure.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided - I got the upgrade that lets you stealth takedown two enemies at once, and it's cool when it works, but it often doesn't. Often the targets will be slightly too far apart or I'm at the wrong angle or something, so I take out one guy while his friend watches then shoots me. There doesn't seem to be any indication in advance of how many people a takedown will deal with.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd love if by the end of the third game Lara called her university and was just like "This archeology coursework is an absolute arse-ache. Is it too late to switch majors to Business IT?"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I'd love if by the end of the third game Lara called her university and was just like "This archeology coursework is an absolute arse-ache. Is it too late to switch majors to mass-murder?"

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
As with a lot of simulator / tycoon games, I hate when developers get too clever with their scenarios. No, you're not making things fun/interesting/challenging by giving me a "make an ungodly amount of money off shops and not coasters" scenario, you're just pissing me off making me do things other than "build a successful profitable park". This is inspired by Planet Coaster, who wants me to have 2,000/4,000/6,000 bucks a month profit in my unclear-as-to-why-they-are-inconsistent stores, and the only from-what-I've-heard viable solution is to basically cheat and flush out your park to get fresh guests who haven't bought anything and hope they buy a lot in a single month.

I'd love to just plop into the sandbox, but another ding about Planet Coaster is that I can't just auto-generate a nice-looking map. :(

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Far cry 5: yet more complaints

The REALLY couldn’t animate your companion to sit in the car? It is so easy programming wise. The dog runs at 200 mph after your car (why doesn’t it jump in the back cause almost all the cars I steal are pickups)? Then I get a “fighting buddy” or fighter-for-hire I don’t even care what it’s actually called but I drive away and they don’t get in the car and just disappear. I mean seriously I made a stupid strip club game and I know how to do this, why can’t they??? Oooooh I forgot it’s Ubisoft and they’re still using FC3 and possibly FC2 code and assets. :thumbsup:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thin Privilege posted:

The REALLY couldn’t animate your companion to sit in the car? It is so easy programming wise. The dog runs at 200 mph after your car (why doesn’t it jump in the back cause almost all the cars I steal are pickups)? Then I get a “fighting buddy” or fighter-for-hire I don’t even care what it’s actually called but I drive away and they don’t get in the car and just disappear. I mean seriously I made a stupid strip club game and I know how to do this, why can’t they??? Oooooh I forgot it’s Ubisoft and they’re still using FC3 and possibly FC2 code and assets. :thumbsup:

My human companions absolutely got in the car with me. Or drove, if I sat in the passenger seat.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Confirming. Human companions will absolutely get in the car, and even drive you to destinations if you wait in the passenger seat yourself.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah, I killed hours and hours in that game standing at the turret of a truck and waiting for a warrior (or even some random Joe) to hop in and drive me to the next area to rain down hellfire on. Rinse and repeat.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Thin Privilege posted:

Maybe your companions don't like you. Because you're smelly? happy to help.

No but seriously it annoys me that the animal companions can't, at least, get in the bed of a pickup. I'd drive those lovely things all over the place if my murder zoo could come with.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Think I'm getting towards the end of XCOM now, as I've got a poo poo load of money and not much to spend it on, so thought I should investigate the MEC units. I'd heard the stuff from the professors about volunteers for this giving up a lot, but they said similar things about the gene mods, and all those guys gave up was not sucking. Then, after I've selected the soldier to enhance, the guy says something about prepping them for the amputation. Uh... ok. Then I see the finished result and they've loving cut her head off and shoved it on a robot body. What the gently caress, science guys? I thought you were going to build exosuits and add Matrix-style connection points to the pilots, not Robocop the poor bastards.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sunswipe posted:

Think I'm getting towards the end of XCOM now, as I've got a poo poo load of money and not much to spend it on, so thought I should investigate the MEC units. I'd heard the stuff from the professors about volunteers for this giving up a lot, but they said similar things about the gene mods, and all those guys gave up was not sucking. Then, after I've selected the soldier to enhance, the guy says something about prepping them for the amputation. Uh... ok. Then I see the finished result and they've loving cut her head off and shoved it on a robot body. What the gently caress, science guys? I thought you were going to build exosuits and add Matrix-style connection points to the pilots, not Robocop the poor bastards.

I always would only MEC guys that went down as “gravely wounded”.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I made an MEC and on its first mission it got chumped by a zombie.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I made an MEC and on its first mission it got chumped by a zombie.

That’s why they have rocket fists, man.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
It was the first mission with zombies and as I said it was my first MEC so I didn't know what it could do.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Thin Privilege posted:

Wait you made a strip club game? What?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Here's a spoileriffic FC5 complaint: there's a mission you do for the northern fuckers where you cure Sgt. Brainwashed's brainwashing (the same kind Jacob Seed puts you under) with a horrible song. Except, this doesn't cure your brainwashing, somehow, because in the Don't gently caress Up the Planet ending, you still go on a murder spree once Colonel Mustache turns on the trigger song on the radio. I guess you need to be strapped into a chair and shown a "Peggies are bad" slideshow. Except, the resistance guys know that you're brainwashed, and at no point do they do exactly that, not even after you off Jacob. Why?

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Sunswipe posted:

They've removed all their limbs, the torso plugs into the robot. You can see them doing stuff in your base with prosthetic arms/legs.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

spit on my clit posted:

Here's a spoileriffic FC5 complaint: there's a mission you do for the northern fuckers where you cure Sgt. Brainwashed's brainwashing (the same kind Jacob Seed puts you under) with a horrible song. Except, this doesn't cure your brainwashing, somehow, because in the Don't gently caress Up the Planet ending, you still go on a murder spree once Colonel Mustache turns on the trigger song on the radio. I guess you need to be strapped into a chair and shown a "Peggies are bad" slideshow. Except, the resistance guys know that you're brainwashed, and at no point do they do exactly that, not even after you off Jacob. Why?

As with most of the complaints with FC5's story line - 99% of which are completely justified, the answer is: it's in the script. That's it.

Same reason any of the Cult leaders can capture you at any time, no matter what you are doing, using magic plot bullets. I tried every way to avoid this just to see if it could be done, including getting in an attack helicopter, flying straight up to the altitude limit and just sitting. No one attacked me, never saw an enemy, but a coupla minutes later: cutscene plays with me watching whichever "long exposition speech" happened to be the current one. That's the only thing they could think of to advance the plot, apparently not realizing that them having the ability to do this at any time obviates literally the entire game.

FC5 is a super fun game to run around killing things in. Of particular fun is going 100% stealth when capturing compounds. But yeah - the plot is awful and has more holes than really good swiss cheese.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Did I hear that FC5 was written by the same guy as Mass Effect 3, or is it some other game he was inexplicably allowed to gently caress up?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

HaB posted:

As with most of the complaints with FC5's story line - 99% of which are completely justified, the answer is: it's in the script. That's it.

Same reason any of the Cult leaders can capture you at any time, no matter what you are doing, using magic plot bullets. I tried every way to avoid this just to see if it could be done, including getting in an attack helicopter, flying straight up to the altitude limit and just sitting. No one attacked me, never saw an enemy, but a coupla minutes later: cutscene plays with me watching whichever "long exposition speech" happened to be the current one. That's the only thing they could think of to advance the plot, apparently not realizing that them having the ability to do this at any time obviates literally the entire game.

FC5 is a super fun game to run around killing things in. Of particular fun is going 100% stealth when capturing compounds. But yeah - the plot is awful and has more holes than really good swiss cheese.

The thing is, this would've been just so easy to fix - simply don't have this event happen until the player is on the ground and a suitable distance from a resistance base. They could even patch it in. I don't care about magical plot bullets as long as they make sense in the context of this weird fuckin' world, and getting knocked out in the air, or in the middle of the resistance base (as I was), or whatever is so stupid.

Like, just freeze any plot events, buffer up any chaos (or whatever its called) that you're earning if you're just flying around blowing poo poo up, and give it back after the plot event. Just...make it not poo poo?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sunswipe posted:

Did I hear that FC5 was written by the same guy as Mass Effect 3, or is it some other game he was inexplicably allowed to gently caress up?

Bioshock Infinite and Burial at Sea were worked on by the same guy. I think he co-wrote those but it’s kinda funny how both games have a well known Amazing Grace knockoff as part of their Christian crazy cults.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Every time I think about picking up Nier Automata again I remember I’m in a big desert and have to get some bumflowers or something and then I look at my switch and think “or I could be playing Mario tennis in literally five seconds”

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I honestly didn’t see what was so great about Automata. The combat was shallow, the story was dumb, almost every boss fight was a boring sphere robot or a glorified cut scene, route B is some of the worst padding I’ve ever seen, and the game doesn’t get nearly as insane as I’ve come to expect from Yoko Taro.

Overall I found it to be an enjoyable experience but not nearly as much as everyone told me it should have been.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
I had the same reaction to HZD. People falling over themselves telling me it was an amazing story and an original protagonist, but it seemed pretty by the numbers with your standard Snarky Hero.

Really enjoyed the gameplay side of things, but narratively I seemed to exist on another planet.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

moosecow333 posted:

I honestly didn’t see what was so great about Automata. The combat was shallow, the story was dumb, almost every boss fight was a boring sphere robot or a glorified cut scene, route B is some of the worst padding I’ve ever seen, and the game doesn’t get nearly as insane as I’ve come to expect from Yoko Taro.

Overall I found it to be an enjoyable experience but not nearly as much as everyone told me it should have been.

The city-scale cannon made of stretched limestone cathedrals that speaks only in airport service announcements or the suggestion that both armies have changed sides several times and become each other while forgetting everything doesn't quite do it for ya?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Why anyone plays any game when Bayonetta exists is beyond me

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

In LA Noire there’s nothing to do in the city driving around

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

My favourite thing with the MEC in XCOM was to give it the female italian voice. Having some doom bot stomping around, shooting off flamethrowers and screeching in incomprehensible robo-italian just struck me as hilarious for some reason.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Somfin posted:

The city-scale cannon made of stretched limestone cathedrals that speaks only in airport service announcements or the suggestion that both armies have changed sides several times and become each other while forgetting everything doesn't quite do it for ya?

Not when it’s compared to A game that includes a character known for devouring children, a game where you fight trans-dimensional babies, or end up fighting an enemy made up of fused orphans.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

moosecow333 posted:

baka gaijin

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
ever Yoko Taro game since Drakengard will forever be chasing and failing to get that crazy high

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Blind Sally posted:

ever Yoko Taro game since Drakengard will forever be chasing and failing to get that crazy high

The only people who really care about that are the ones who get really weird about how drakengard had giant weird babies and a pedophile in its cast. Nier and Automata were both great, they just didn't have to be randomly insane to be good and engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

The only people who really care about that are the ones who get really weird about how drakengard had giant weird babies and a pedophile in its cast. Nier and Automata were both great, they just didn't have to be randomly insane to be good and engaging.

And even then they have brainwashing a man to help him forget that all of the children in his care committed suicide out of fear and then buying the children's severed heads and preserved hearts off of him later and a mass robot orgy that turns into a brawl that turns into the on-screen birth of two effeminate young men, one from the other's gaping chest wound, who are also servers, and one turns into a concrete snake for vengeance after you kill the other one and the only guy who definitely fought for humanity did so by multiplying himself until he forgot who he was and why he was fighting, and if you help him remember it unlocks the ability to build a memorial and makes a bunch of his discarded bodies appear in the desert. There's lots of insanity, it's just less directly transgressive.