Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Once you go black...

...you can never keep it clean for more than five minutes :eng99:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
My black FiST lives under a pine tree. I've completely given up. I feel your pain.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I can attest to Mother’s Speed Clay 2.0. I just clayed both cars and it was a pretty easy experience.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Larrymer posted:

I too have the Curt on my also white MK7 GTI. Super easy install, but I just use it for my bike rack.

Behold! Dirty plastidipped wheels that are supposed to be gunmetal.

I need to redo them in black or buy brake pads that don't dust so goddamn much.

Can you please post pics of the back showing the bike rack setup? I need to get this for my car.

Red team checking in

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Radiohead71 posted:

Can you please post pics of the back showing the bike rack setup? I need to get this for my car.

Red team checking in

I bought a cheaper rack on amazon (was like $225 when I bought it, now $300). For this much money, buy a 1up rack. It's aluminum so it won't rust and probably what I'd do in hindsight even though it was slightly more money. You have to pay a bit more for add on security stuff that I wanted (IIRC) but they're very well regarded racks.

Still, I like mine for easy folding, hatch access, and security features. And despite how it looks in the pictures, it isn't wider than the car in any configuration so I don't have to worry about clipping the garage or anything while parking. The one bar folds up (not pictured) that clamps down the top tube. That also locks, and the hitch pin locks as well. The only time I can't access the hatch is when the bike is loaded and it is upright. The hitch has a pivot that allows the bike to lay at about a 45 degree angle away from the car so I can get into the hatch then. There is a slight wobble at that pivot when the car is moving, and tightening the bolt only makes operation of the pivot lever worse and doesn't improve the wobble, so I live with it. The only other dumb design thing is that it's between the car and bike, so a little harder to access than it should be. But hey, I'm the loving swag man. :smug:

Folded up

Folded down

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 8, 2018

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Radiohead71 posted:

Red team checking in

RED SQUAD RED SQUAD RED SQUAD

Need to get around to sending the Honda away. :smith: Has a fair number of parts that are less than a year old, so I'd like it to go to someone who can do something with it. Drove that car for 18 years, after my father drove it for 9. :corsair:

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Thank you, that setup looks very nice. I hope to have the same soon.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Gonna post mine again because I spent all drat day doing some paint correction and poo poo. It's not perfect but it's better than it was.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
Anyone using Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on their car?

I've had them on my GTI for over 1000 km now, so they should be broken in, but honestly I can't feel ANY performance benefit compared to the stock Potenza's for launches and 1st gear pulls (not talking about dynamic performance). These are supposed to be great tires, but the car still has traction problems and wheel-hops just as badly.

I don't expect there to be no wheel-hop at all, especially without a dogbone mount insert, but given how GTI guys say that upgrading the tires is one of the best things you can do for this car, I am pretty disappointed.

Crescendo fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 9, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wouldn't stickier tires make wheel hop worse?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crescendo posted:

Anyone using Michelin Pilot Sport 4's on their car?

I've had them on my GTI for over 1000 km now, so they should be broken in, but honestly I can't feel ANY performance benefit compared to the stock Potenza's for launches and 1st gear pulls (not talking about dynamic performance). These are supposed to be great tires, but the car still has traction problems and wheel-hops just as badly.

I don't expect there to be no wheel-hop at all, especially without a dogbone mount insert, but given how GTI guys say that upgrading the tires is one of the best things you can do for this car, I am pretty disappointed.

You're going to get wheelspin in 1st. Just get the dogbone mount, it's basically a necessary upgrade.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Exactly, tf is the point of trying to hammer a FWD car in first anyway

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

Exactly, tf is the point of trying to hammer a FWD car in first anyway

You can do it in the GTI, but you absolutely have to roll into the throttle. You're still going to get some wheel spin, but if traction control doesn't kick in you're doing alright.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I never bothered with mine, the gear is short and the clutch does not like quick 1-2 shifts.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
Blue German cars = yes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
man corrados are so rare nowadays since all the vw bois beat them all to death in the 2000s

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I had a line on a VR6 before I bought my 300ZX. Despite the hell that Nissan put me through I’m pretty sure I’m glad I never got the VW.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Quite A Tool posted:

I had a line on a VR6 before I bought my 300ZX. Despite the hell that Nissan put me through I’m pretty sure I’m glad I never got the VW.

I don't think the VR6 ones were bad at all outside of the typical issues. The G60 ones are where poo poo got wild.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just bought this 2018 Civic Si coupe. Super fun, I drove a ton of stuff and I was pretty shocked by how fun it was and how nice the interior is. Excellent transmission, engine has more than adequate power, and the electronic damping actually works. Even has a real LSD!

Not exactly a hatch but its still a turbo manual fwd econobox.

Had to go to 4 different dealers but I ended up getting it for 3k under sticker.

Only complaints are no volume knob or e-brake, but not really a dealbreaker.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Voltage fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 10, 2018

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Whoops double post

Voltage fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 10, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

My black FiST lives under a pine tree. I've completely given up. I feel your pain.

My black GTI lives under an oak tree. I haven't completely surrendered yet, but... it's hard.

IKillForPie
Jan 13, 2006

Is that a pie in your pocket?
Team white (almost white?) checking in :)! Lots of fun looking cars in here for the squad.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

BraveUlysses posted:

man corrados are so rare nowadays since all the vw bois beat them all to death in the 2000s

A couple of previous owners of mine keved it a bit and/or neglected it mechanically, so I’m slowly getting it back in shape. A couple of weeks ago I finally got the spoiler mechanism out and dismantled/cleaned it so it stopped squeaking.

It’s really fun to drive and I enjoy people who see it telling me how they too used to own a Scirocco.

mrtrunks84
Oct 5, 2004

The train in my head just missed it's stop
Team white again. Coming from a black GTI this thing is so much easier to keep looking nice. The pearl helps as well I think.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What bumper cover is that?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Gunmetal Grey forever, it keeps pretty clean too imo:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Taima posted:

Gunmetal Grey forever, it keeps pretty clean too imo:

Nice! That's the color and trim I wanted, but couldn't find. White is good enough and surprisingly has stayed pretty clean the last few weeks since it hasn't rained. :v:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Larrymer posted:

Nice! That's the color and trim I wanted, but couldn't find. White is good enough and surprisingly has stayed pretty clean the last few weeks since it hasn't rained. :v:

Don't get me wrong! My father has a white E-Golf and I find it to be really great looking!

e: as you can see I drove a blue E-Golf for a few years on a lease- which was fun- but I wouldn't get the blue again. It just got dirty so quickly.

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 21, 2018

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Voltage posted:

Just bought this 2018 Civic Si coupe. Super fun, I drove a ton of stuff and I was pretty shocked by how fun it was and how nice the interior is. Excellent transmission, engine has more than adequate power, and the electronic damping actually works. Even has a real LSD!

Not exactly a hatch but its still a turbo manual fwd econobox.

Had to go to 4 different dealers but I ended up getting it for 3k under sticker.

Only complaints are no volume knob or e-brake, but not really a dealbreaker.

I've decided on one of these for my next car, though still uncertain about getting a coupe or sedan. How has it been so far for you?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I absolutely love it so far, super fun to drive, average over 32mpg, handling is extremely tight and power is great for FWD. So far no ragrets on the coupe, backseat has more than enough room and looks better than the sedan imo. Really just comes down to how often you use the back seat I guess?

Only downsides so far are the electronic parking brake and no volume knob, but it has steering wheel volume so whatever. Still a little crushed that I can't do ebrake drifting in the winter but oh well.

Overall reminds me of my old RSX but with better tech and more room.

Suspension is lightyears ahead of my old fiesta ST, which was kind of a disaster on rough roads.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Christmas came a little early this year. Going to be a long two-week wait to get get the parts in for the GTI!

Remus Racing Cat Back with valve controls

Black Carbon Racing Tips

HPA Dogbone

Forge BOV

Aerofabb V2 Front End Splitter

Not pictured: Braun Performance FMIC and Catted DP to go with everything.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Do you have a manual or DSG GTI? Haven't heard of that dogbone before. Can you tell me more about it? What are the downsides of installation? I read more vibrations to cabin, is that it?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

fknlo posted:

I don't think the VR6 ones were bad at all outside of the typical issues. The G60 ones are where poo poo got wild.

ask me about trying to keep a trashed 1990 G60 alive as a high school senior with a job at a coffee shop circa 1999

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

ask me about trying to keep a trashed 1990 G60 alive as a high school senior with a job at a coffee shop circa 1999

Did you have to quit school to pick up a 3rd job to buy more of those seals that went in the supercharger?

I will say that there have been multiple GTI's with a G60 swap with the lysholm supercharger that I absolutely loved. So much whine.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
I've been getting sick of driving my crappy CVT honda civic and i think it might be time to get something that I would find a hell of a lot more rewarding to drive to get my jollies day to day. I mostly do a 50km round commute with most of it highway and a lot on a bunch of surface streets which gets into some pretty painful stop start. I don't do that much hauling but I will do some odd 500+ km road trips to visit people around the country. I've been driving a bunch and I don't think I would mind wrestling with a manual for commuting since I've done it with a motorcycle and it doesn't particularly drive me nuts.

Everyone else I know drives golfs if they are a bit spendier with their cars and the whole DSG puts me off or drive corollas, and I'm trying to get away from the whole econobox situation and I feel like i'm going around in circles in trying to get my next car but I'm like 75% sure it's going to be a hot hatch.

I've seen some Holden (Opel in Europe i think?) VXR's roughly in my budget and I like their lines a bit more than the focii. I might test drive some fiestas as well but there's a bit of a lack of them now that the new generation is about to drop. Does anyone know much about the VXR's? I suppose more practical life living with one since the reviews are always more breathless motorjournalism. The windows do look tiny. I'm sure sightlines for parking must be abysmal.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Trambopaline posted:

I've been getting sick of driving my crappy CVT honda civic and i think it might be time to get something that I would find a hell of a lot more rewarding to drive to get my jollies day to day. I mostly do a 50km round commute with most of it highway and a lot on a bunch of surface streets which gets into some pretty painful stop start. I don't do that much hauling but I will do some odd 500+ km road trips to visit people around the country. I've been driving a bunch and I don't think I would mind wrestling with a manual for commuting since I've done it with a motorcycle and it doesn't particularly drive me nuts.

Everyone else I know drives golfs if they are a bit spendier with their cars and the whole DSG puts me off or drive corollas, and I'm trying to get away from the whole econobox situation and I feel like i'm going around in circles in trying to get my next car but I'm like 75% sure it's going to be a hot hatch.

I've seen some Holden (Opel in Europe i think?) VXR's roughly in my budget and I like their lines a bit more than the focii. I might test drive some fiestas as well but there's a bit of a lack of them now that the new generation is about to drop. Does anyone know much about the VXR's? I suppose more practical life living with one since the reviews are always more breathless motorjournalism. The windows do look tiny. I'm sure sightlines for parking must be abysmal.

Sounds like you need the best $10k RWD car with a stick you can find.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Why does the dsg put you off? It's good and best of both worlds (Auto and manual using the paddles) IMO. I drove manuals almost exclusively and got the dsg because it's a very good compromise.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Larrymer posted:

Why does the dsg put you off? It's good and best of both worlds (Auto and manual using the paddles) IMO. I drove manuals almost exclusively and got the dsg because it's a very good compromise.

If it's anything like me DSGs are missing some fundamental enjoyment that I get out of true manuals. DSGs are fine, they are technically better but even so I prefer a real manual to a DSG everytime I've compared them.
It's gotta have something to do with the stick and muscle memory, something not easily quantifible.
Plus mechanical complexity.

If it's about automatics vs DSGs tho DSG everytime.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Isn't DSG the kind of gearbox that you shouldn't own outside of warranty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MrOnBicycle posted:

Isn't DSG the kind of gearbox that you shouldn't own outside of warranty?

That was the thought initially, especially with the sensor issues the MkV VWs had, but at this point AFAIK the quirks are known and the unicorn blood they depend on is more widely available so it's not what it was a few years ago.

Wet clutch dual clutch transmissions in general have been pretty reliable other than those early sensor issues to my knowledge. The Porsche 911 variant for example can do full power launches until you get bored and not complain. The only wet DCT I'm aware of that's "sensitive" is the early GT-R.

Dry clutch units have been less so (Ford and Mopar having both had some really poo poo offerings) but even some of those aren't horrible. Supposedly the ones Hyundai/Kia are using with their 1.6T are pretty solid to any reasonable power levels. A friend of mine has a hamsterbox with that drivetrain combo and it doesn't exhibit any of the annoyances I've felt with the Ford PowerShit units, just the usual quirkiness at low speeds that's pretty much universal to anything with a computer-controlled clutch.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jul 29, 2018