Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I liked Haanit mechanically but I cant standen to looken at the dialoguen for more than five secondsen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

doingitwrong posted:

So is Tressa the mirror to H'aanit in combat then? Because Tressa has (gains?) an ability to spend money to have a human mercenary come in and do one attack.

Given that H'aanit's talent expands her attack options in battle, I'd say Olberic is the mirror to her with his more defensively-focused moveset and also being a physical attacker type.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Licarn posted:

My party is going to be Primrose, H'aanit, Ophelia and Tressa, cos they're p hot

Hell yeah dude.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My team will feature both Tressa and Alfyn because they are good people and that is good.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I just finished Therion's intro and it was surprisingly good! I'm guessing I can just run across the entire map and pick up Tressa if I really want to? I wanted to start with happy anime girl but thieving is level-based so...

Is there any way to turn down some of the lighting effects? Part of it was playing it while the sun was going down, but it felt like really brightly-lit stuff was getting washed out really badly. Otherwise I really, really like what they're doing with the graphics! I haven't seen it in motion til now, and man, I think this is how the old SNES Square RPGs always looked in my head when I was a kid.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Aaaaagh but then I don't really have 4 unique path skills either! Can I just... not do any thieving? But... thieving

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Licarn posted:

My party is going to be Primrose, H'aanit, Ophelia and Tressa, cos they're p hot

:hai:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Licarn posted:

My party is going to be Olberic, Alfyn, Therion, and Cyrus, cos they're p hot
:hai:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Gotta set my party up as Therion, H'aanit, Ophelia, and Tressa. Team THOT forever.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am probbably going to play with them all changing them around as I feel like.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Since Olbrecht, Cyrus, Ophilia, and Therion are Team Standard Party, I'm going to go with Team Offbrand and choose H'aanit, her best friend Tressa, Goodest Boy, and Primrose.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
The cool thing about H’aanit is that all of her pokemon count as a specific weapon attack. So even if she’s set up to use bows and axes, she might have a sword animal or a staff animal that she can use to lower shield levels.

Also, she’s a super heavy attacker, and that’s how I like playing video games best. I’m looking forward to driving H’aanit’s axe into many foreheads in the final game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Cyrus and Primrose are on lock. The question is what after that, probably Olberic and then I'm split on Tressa and Therion.

I guess Its gonna really matter if we have to have one character with each of the overworld abilities in order to progress the plot at some point? Although I guess you can have more than 4, so you could grab the others for their abilities and just not use them as your core combat team?

Or maybe that'll never be a factor and you can beat the game with one dude if you try. We still don't know.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Bean posted:

The cool thing about H’aanit is that all of her pokemon count as a specific weapon attack. So even if she’s set up to use bows and axes, she might have a sword animal or a staff animal that she can use to lower shield levels.

Also, she’s a super heavy attacker, and that’s how I like playing video games best. I’m looking forward to driving H’aanit’s axe into many foreheads in the final game.

She's incredibly versatile even before the monster capture, between her weapons, lightning based attack, and Linde covering both Spear and Sword weaknesses, she can break a ton of creatures.

I like her a lot, and I'm going to spend a lot of time gearing her up.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Them some fightin' words, mate:

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1016279221025550336?s=19

https://twitter.com/ShadowForks/status/1016458830027214848

This is gonna be an interesting game to say the very least.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Interesting choice if true to backload all the inter-party development. I'm intrigued how that gets pulled off.

Thursday reviews can't come soon enough (nor can the Friday release of course).

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am probbably going to play with them all changing them around as I feel like.

Me too!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Folt The Bolt posted:

Given that H'aanit's talent expands her attack options in battle, I'd say Olberic is the mirror to her with his more defensively-focused moveset and also being a physical attacker type.

So does,the mercenary thing. Like you can pay some money and get a sword attack going for Tressa even though she doesn’t carry swords.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

doingitwrong posted:

So does,the mercenary thing. Like you can pay some money and get a sword attack going for Tressa even though she doesn’t carry swords.

Yeah, but unlike H'aanit, Tressa doesn't have physical skills that use her actual weapons (her divine skill is non-elemental) and work better as a mirror to Therion's abilities... or Alfyn's, come to think of it. Alfyn's Concoctions give him elemental variety for break purposes with non-scaling moves, just like Tressa's Hired Help for physical weapons.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

But Olberic, Alfyn, Therion, and Cyrus aren't p hot though. They're taco.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

I expect it to be similar to Kingdom Come Deliverance's reception. Mixed press reviews, positive player reception, and good sales.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Pre-order done with, based on the old demo even. Now to await a neato game.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Sunning posted:

I expect it to be similar to Kingdom Come Deliverance's reception. Mixed press reviews, positive player reception, and good sales.

Can someone explain the situation with that game for those of us who haven't heard of it?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

would be great and also hilarious if true since a lot of reviewers might get exposed as not actually finishing the game

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

How do you people still care about game reviews in 2018

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Norns posted:

I know this is an obvious driveby shitpost but it's nice to at least have some kind of advance takes on things and sometimes if it's written by Eurogamer or something it'll at least be not totally braindead or follow a dumb numbers scale

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Can you believe they still review books

what is this, 1455???

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Ventana posted:

Can someone explain the situation with that game for those of us who haven't heard of it?

There's not much to it. Kingdom Come got mixed reviews due to bugs and design quirks but CRPG fans who were hungry for a sim heavy historical RPG loved the game and made it successful. If you're on market or appeal to an underserved niche, you can shrug off bad reviews and become successful off word of mouth/Let's Play/Twitch.

It's not unusual in today's market for critics to pan a game that consumers ultimately enjoy. Detroit Become Human had divisive reviews but was a hit due to streaming/Youtube (and stupid sexy Bryan Dechart). Many Ubisoft games have fairly average reviews but are hits with mainstream consumers since they're co-op open world games.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Can you believe they still review books

what is this, 1455???

This would be relevant if book reviewers commonly didn't finish books and or didn't have the skill to actually finish reading a book.

My point is people have had the same complaints about reviews for ages, stop caring about them. Y'all already know half the people that play the game professionally won't finish it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Norns posted:

If you're familiar with the preferences of individual reviewers then they can really help clue you into whether you're going to like, or not like, a game for which you're on the fence.

Octopath's prologue demo is pretty comprehensive though. Since it gives you exposure to all the characters, the battle system--basically the entire first quarter of the game--it should be pretty clear from the demo or not whether "you're" going to enjoy the game. ResetEra's preview thread is a total trainwreck because people are hyper focused on whether there's any party interaction or if there's a late-game overarching plot, with complainers going as far as to cancel preorders from rumors that there isn't (which, somehow, breaks the game for them). I was pretty sold on the game prior to the second demo but I'm definitely sold on it now. That thread is weird.

The starting character dilemma is annoying, and the one thing I hope is better answered in reviews is why there's an MC lock or if it's really an issue. I suspect people are making it out to be an issue more than it is. Personally I'm probably going to do OCTOPATH because why not, but stats-wise Alfyn or Tressa are probably ideal as locked party members for most play styles.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Reality Loser posted:

I liked Haanit mechanically but I cant standen to looken at the dialoguen for more than five secondsen

I am very thankful for her voice acting because there was no way I was getting past 2 lines of just text dialogue from her and her friends.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sunning posted:

There's not much to it. Kingdom Come got mixed reviews due to bugs and design quirks but CRPG fans who were hungry for a sim heavy historical RPG loved the game and made it successful. If you're on market or appeal to an underserved niche, you can shrug off bad reviews and become successful off word of mouth/Let's Play/Twitch.
wasn't the dev also a literal neo-nazi?

anyway back to Octopath: I definitely have to go with Tressa and Alfyn but the rest of the cast just hasn't grabbed my attention like them. H'aanit is pretty cool I guess so I'll probably make her the third, but for the fourth I have no idea. Cyrus might be interesting but I should probably choose someone without an overlapping path action right?

e: maybe I should go with Primrose so I can have the PHAT team

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Zaphod42 posted:

That's why you don't pre-order vidjagames! There's literally no reason.

Even if there's some pre-order bonus (and there's not, right?) then you can just "pre-order" the night before it comes out and get the bonus all the same.
I got €5 off for pre-ordering, plus I don't have to pay until I pick it up. And if I change my mind I just don't pick it up and don't get charged. So that's a reason for me to pre-order, with literally no downside to doing so.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
What I'm wondering is if your starting character locks you into only completing that character's story, so if you choose Tressa you'll never see Primrose finish her quest for revenge or find out... whatever Alfyn wants to find out, etc. It'd make sense, but still make me sad. I want to know how all their stories end, dang it!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Parasol Prophet posted:

What I'm wondering is if your starting character locks you into only completing that character's story, so if you choose Tressa you'll never see Primrose finish her quest for revenge or find out... whatever Alfyn wants to find out, etc. It'd make sense, but still make me sad. I want to know how all their stories end, dang it!

They have said that you’ll be able to see all the content on a single playthrough.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh, well yay!

I have a terrible record for finishing these types of games, but I think I could make it through this one. I actually feel invested for once.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Have they mentioned how XP works with people not in your party? Do they still level up or do you need to grind to keep them adequately leveled?

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Harlock posted:

Have they mentioned how XP works with people not in your party? Do they still level up or do you need to grind to keep them adequately leveled?

Last I heard people outside your party don't get xp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

You gotta put some work in for the later party members. I wish there was an XP diverting mechanic, but eh.