Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hobbesmaster posted:

If someone finds a rule to block it McConnell has proven that he'll use his 50 votes to change the rules of the Senate.

gently caress that guy so goddamned hard
e: gently caress mcconnell snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Soulex posted:

The nominee is a shoe-in? Or can someone block it?

Republicans have a 50-49 majority in the senate right now. If a single Republican senator votes against the nominee (and assuming all Democrats vote no), it'll tank the nomination. Trump picked the one nominee who is the least likely to draw objections from Collins and Murkowski, the two moderate Republicans who are most likely to defect. Christianlord MAGA CHUDs were pressuring him to pick a judge that belongs to a Catholic cult because she'd be super into mandating that all women must reproduce like Irish Catholics or some poo poo (that was almost literally a conservative Oped that I read on the matter), but he elected to choose the one that would potentially cover his rear end when he gets indicted. Now, reports have it that Rand Paul may be upset with the nominee, but he's a little bitch who can't take a punch, so he'll cave.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Man I cant wait for the senate to flip.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I wouldn't hold your breath

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Soulex posted:

Man I cant wait for the senate to flip.

If you think the electoral college is undemocratic, wait until you see how the Senate works!

Seriously though, Democrats have picked up something like 54% of the vote in the last 3 Senate cycles (so basically every seat excluding special elections) and they still have a minority in that chamber.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

9th and 10th thai soccer kid saved.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/jrhennessy/status/1016081187733815296?s=21

Pretty much

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Duzzy Funlop posted:

9th and 10th thai soccer kid saved.

i think thailand earns MVP for the year tbh

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This poo poo is going to blow the cup out of the water when it comes to national celebration. Fingers crossed but I got high hopes.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As much as I love the feel-good story about these kids its pissing me off that the nation's (worlds?) attention is on getting 12 kids safely back to their families and we have a couple thousand sitting in warehouses that we've removed from their own that are getting a bit less exposure these days.

Elon, you're a software guy, why not whip up something that helps put those pairs back together more easily?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

That Works posted:

As much as I love the feel-good story about these kids its pissing me off that the nation's (worlds?) attention is on getting 12 kids safely back to their families and we have a couple thousand sitting in warehouses that we've removed from their own that are getting a bit less exposure these days.

Elon, you're a software guy, why not whip up something that helps put those pairs back together more easily?

no fame in that

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
And let’s be honest: if Thai kids weren’t in the news it’d just be even more SCOTUS coverage in the USA.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

That Works posted:

And there are tens of thousands of kids in Yemen suffering from cholera and starvation, yet nobody gives a poo poo about them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It might be finished. Well done to everybody involved, victims included. That's a tough trip even as a healthy, fed adult. RIP that SEAL though. I wonder if all would have been well even if he didn't dump his tank in the chamber.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

That Works posted:

^^^ This should be the reply to every one of that dip poo poo elon's tweets and instagrams

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/eucopresident/status/1016627917915348993?s=21

EU continues to try to point out that they spend money on security, too.

https://twitter.com/burgerdrome/status/1016628062585143296?s=21

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jul 10, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Torrannor posted:

And there are tens of thousands of kids in Yemen suffering from cholera and starvation, yet nobody gives a poo poo about them.

Yep. Same for when Boko Haram kidnapped all those girls. Michelle Obama made some noise about it and then we did... :shrug:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

psydude posted:

Republicans have a 50-49 majority in the senate right now. If a single Republican senator votes against the nominee (and assuming all Democrats vote no), it'll tank the nomination. Trump picked the one nominee who is the least likely to draw objections from Collins and Murkowski, the two moderate Republicans who are most likely to defect. Christianlord MAGA CHUDs were pressuring him to pick a judge that belongs to a Catholic cult because she'd be super into mandating that all women must reproduce like Irish Catholics or some poo poo (that was almost literally a conservative Oped that I read on the matter), but he elected to choose the one that would potentially cover his rear end when he gets indicted. Now, reports have it that Rand Paul may be upset with the nominee, but he's a little bitch who can't take a punch, so he'll cave.

He’ll be confirmed on the first vote.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

I mean. Obviously I agree, but people are going to remember that Elon Musk went to bat and saved some kids in Thailand. This is good for him. Reality doesn't matter

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

That Works posted:

Yep. Same for when Boko Haram kidnapped all those girls. Michelle Obama made some noise about it and then we did... :shrug:

I'll have you know there was a facebook campaign and a lot of Moms were very concerned :colbert:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

11 kids out now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Mr. Nice! posted:

He’ll be confirmed on the first vote.

Bet some dems vote yea too.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Joe Manchin probably will

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
I'm seeing that they got all the players and the coach out of the cave now

E: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/10/world/asia/thailand-cave-rescue-live-updates.html

:goose:

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jul 10, 2018

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Kavanaugh either gets 48 votes or 53+ without much in-between. If Collins/Murkowski vote for him, vunlerable Democrats will. If Collins/Murkowski don't vote for him, no Democrats will.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

And there are angry Muskovites defending him in the comments, which is also p. Musky.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

And there are angry Muskovites defending him in the comments, which is also p. Musky.

There are people defending him in GBS, which is one of the least pro-musk environments I've seen on the Internet. He's revered on Reddit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
All republicans present to vote will vote yes. You are acting like any one of these people actually stand by their conventions.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1016650390866100224?s=19

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

All 12 boys and the coach rescued from the cave as per reports

holy poo poo

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Milo and POTUS posted:

There are people defending him in GBS, which is one of the least pro-musk environments I've seen on the Internet. He's revered on Reddit.

Did he bring anything other than that human doob tube to Thailand? Like I could see if he showed up with a bunch of spare scuba gear and fresh divers and lights and whatnot but he's pretty much a rape accusation away from being the platonic ideal of a silicon valley techbro so it's not unreasonable that he'd show up with his deathtrap and nothing else.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Immanentized posted:

I'm seeing that they got all the players and the coach out of the cave now

E: https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/07/10/world/asia/thailand-cave-rescue-live-updates.html

:goose:

I honestly did not expect an outcome that wasn't a recovery operation.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Washington Post cites Clickhole in front page article.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It all depends on Republican unity. If they get the 50 votes needed to let Pence break the tie, some vulnerable Democrats will vote yes, too. And why not? It helps, or at least doesn't hurt, their reelection prospects. There's a slim but real chance that the Democrats can gain Senate seats in November, why would you throw that away over a SC justice who's confirmation you can't prevent anyway?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Don’t worry I’m sure he and Gorsuch will recuse themselves when the inevitable Trump indictment reaches the Supreme Court.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
GIP: Democrats are spineless cowards who refuse to stand by their principles.

Also GIP:

Torrannor posted:

It all depends on Republican unity. If they get the 50 votes needed to let Pence break the tie, some vulnerable Democrats will vote yes, too. And why not? It helps, or at least doesn't hurt, their reelection prospects. There's a slim but real chance that the Democrats can gain Senate seats in November, why would you throw that away over a SC justice who's confirmation you can't prevent anyway?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Torrannor posted:

There aren't 100 senators voting right now so Pence won't have a tie to break. McCain is on, uh, what's likely a terminal leave of absence. Peeling one GOP vote off is all it's gonna take to stuff the nomination, assuming Schumer and Durbin hold the caucus together.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

FAUXTON posted:

There aren't 100 senators voting right now so Pence won't have a tie to break. McCain is on, uh, what's likely a terminal leave of absence. Peeling one GOP vote off is all it's gonna take to stuff the nomination, assuming Schumer and Durbin hold the caucus together.

True, if the Republicans can get 50 votes, they don't need Pence anyway. But that's beside the point, the GOP can confirm him all on their own. As I said, IF the Republicans can hold onto all their votes, it makes no sense to get too upset over red state Democrats voting yes, too. On the other hand, if the Republicans fall short of the necessary majority, then no Dem Senator should vote yes.

Edit: I'm just a non-American observer, that's just how the situation looks to me. Do you guys really think it's worth it to increase the chance of Manchin and co. getting voted out in November in exchange for not making a difference if Kavanaugh gets confirmed or not?

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Jul 10, 2018

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

GIP: Democrats are spineless cowards who refuse to stand by their principles.

Also GIP:

It’s all about winning elections!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Love to ignore principles if it gets me re-elected.

• Locked thread