Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

mikeycp posted:

I have no idea if it's by the university. We're staying here: http://www.romantopia.net/

It looks like there's nothing nearby and we're going to relax mainly, but if there's anything worth checking out, y'know.

Nebuta Matsuri is first week of August, but you might be gone by then.

mmm11105 posted:

I'm going to Japan at the end of August and am currently booked for a night in Hiroshima and one on Miyajima. How likely is it the knock on effects of the flooding are going to be significant by then? Should I be looking to change plans there?

Someone on Reddit said that Hiroshima/Miyajima are already basically back to normal already, so I think you'll be fine, barring another huge storm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravel/comments/8x8ony/hiroshima_and_miyajima_current_state/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Hmm. Is the end of this too aggressive? I'm used to traveling by car and can pull off stuff like this, but that block after Yamaguchi might be pushing it.

3/22/2019 Fri San Francisco サンフランシスコ
3/23/2019 Sat Wakayama 和歌山市
3/24/2019 Sun Kii Tanabe 紀伊田辺
3/25/2019 Mon Kumano 熊野
3/26/2019 Tue Ise 伊勢
3/27/2019 Wed Osaka 大阪
3/28/2019 Thu Okayama 岡山
3/29/2019 Fri Onomichi 尾道
3/30/2019 Sat Hiroshima 広島
3/31/2019 Sun Itsukushima 厳島
4/1/2019 Mon Yamaguchi 山口
4/2/2019 Tue Yamaguchi 山口
4/3/2019 Wed Izumo 出雲
4/4/2019 Thu Kinosaki 城崎
4/5/2019 Fri Osaka 大阪
4/6/2019 Sat Taipei 台北
4/7/2019 Sun Taipei 台北

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Maybe do Izumo straight from Osaka, then Yamaguchi and work your way East through Hiroshima and Okayama?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

totalnewbie posted:

Nebuta Matsuri is first week of August, but you might be gone by then.

Unfortunately, yeah. We didn't learn about it till we had already bought our return tickets.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Are there any good charities to give to wrt the flooding?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I agree with the Izumo driving as too much.

Rather you take a night train there and spend 2 days instead of stopping in kinosaki

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yawgmoft posted:

Are there any good charities to give to wrt the flooding?

Japan Red Cross handles almost everything in these situations unless you want to contribute to one specific city.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Dont worry too much. It sucks but Japan has a lot of infrastructure and the right culture to handle it. Money is probably the best to the red cross; apparently the worst thing to do is give 1000 paper cranes, because folks can't really actually do anything with it.

Yeah I'll skip on Kinosaki and move that to Shimane. Izumo and Yamaguchi look like they have the most cost effective onsens anyway. The night train doesn't really work out b/c Chuugoku has a good expressway pass so driving ends up more cost effective. But I love long drives so the Izumo to Osaka sector wont be too bad.

ntan1 fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 10, 2018

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
I heard somewhere that most Japanese accommodations don't open up for booking until 3 months before the date you want to book... is this complete bullshit? I started browsing Miyajima places for my November trip and it seems almost everything is already booked up. Am I going to be sleeping on the streets my whole trip or what?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried those online booking websites like booking.com?

It’s hit and miss when it comes to small town places, I was left in some guys extension home in Shikoku, it sucked and it costs so much.

Oh and can someone please (probably ntan) tell me more about driving passes for tolls? My brother in law has driven in japan before but I haven’t

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
I checked Japanese websites and there are tons of rooms, even for this weekend. So your problem might be that big resellers like expedia and booking are booked up, not the hotels themselves.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I directly messaged every ryokan I stayed at and had no problems- that's also the best way to get "flexible date" recommendations too.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

I usually check Rakuten first since I get a crapload of points, but if they don't have anything, the next step is jalan. If Jalan doesn't have anything, the hotels probably actually are full.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

caberham posted:

Have you tried those online booking websites like booking.com?

It’s hit and miss when it comes to small town places, I was left in some guys extension home in Shikoku, it sucked and it costs so much.

Oh and can someone please (probably ntan) tell me more about driving passes for tolls? My brother in law has driven in japan before but I haven’t

Etc cards? Should be an option at the rental car company.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I thought there’s some sort of tourist toll pass :smith:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Famine Poodle posted:

I heard somewhere that most Japanese accommodations don't open up for booking until 3 months before the date you want to book... is this complete bullshit? I started browsing Miyajima places for my November trip and it seems almost everything is already booked up. Am I going to be sleeping on the streets my whole trip or what?

I just booked my flight for May and I'm starting to look for a place to stay -- I'm seeing availability on most hotel reservation sites almost 10 months out. I'm also looking at post-crackdown AirBnB and still seeing plenty of affordable alternatives so I think you should be able to find decent accommodations this far out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

caberham posted:

Unless you get ETC cards through rental companies, usually it’s a bigger deal to get one (mine came with my Rakuten Card). It still is a good deal to get one, and there are occasionally reduced rates depending on the time and date. Mostly it’s just a lot more convenient than digging cash out regularly.

Most rentals have the ETC card reader; some rental companies let you pay for a card rental (Nippon listed the fee at 324 yen) and then settle the toll charges with payment when you return the car.

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
I was looking both at the hotels' actual websites and sites like booking.com. I guess it's because November is a popular time and my stay at Miyajima will be on a Friday. I just had it in my head that no one could book for then until next month. I'd like to do a fancy ryokan that night but it looks like if I can find any place to sleep at all I'll be lucky.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

There are, and the available ones are listed here:

http://www.go-etc.jp/english/expressway/index.html

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Basically you make a reservation, then you call in or send an email asking that you want to use a pass (make sure it's a dropoff/pickoff center that supports it). They'll charge you and make you sign a poo poo ton of paper work, hand you an ETC card, and then you can use the ETC card as necessary; all of the tolls in the pass area are not charged and all of the tolls that aren't in the pass area are charged and you settle up when you return the car.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
Cross posting my question from /r/JapanTravel for help planning an itinerary...

I'll be staying at a ryokan (Hakone Ginyu) in Hakone on Aug 2-3. I need to be in Kyoto on the night of the 3rd. I'm trying to figure out the timetables for transportation both within Hakone and between the two cities, but I can't tell if I'm being too ambitious with my goals or not... It seems like my ryokan is in kind of a lovely spot and/or Hakone doesn't have the easiest access to Kyoto.

Here's what I'd like to do:

• Wake up, have breakfast in the ryokan, leave around 10-11am
  • Visit the Hakone open air museum for maybe 2 hours
  • Take the ropeway across its full length, stopping at Owakudani to look around and maybe have an egg (how long should I budget for exploring the volcano? Just 30-40 minutes?)
  • At the ropeway terminus, take a roundtrip pirate cruise (I can skip this if I have to, but it sounds kind of fun)
  • Head to Kyoto station, arriving around 7pm

My challenges are:

• Getting from the ryokan to the open-air museum
  • Figuring out the best route from the pirate ships to Kyoto
  • Fitting everything in the day
  • I will not have a car but I don't mind spending money on a taxi if I need to

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Here is your personalized advice for your personal scenario!!

• Getting from the ryokan to the open-air museum

Have your ryokan chauffeur you there because you are paying 90k yen and if they don't provide this service something is wrong

• Figuring out the best route from the pirate ships to Kyoto

Get a taxi to take you to the nearest shinkansen station (Atami or Odawara) and take a Shinkansen there. The taxi fare is 6,400 yen.

Alternatively, if you want to ride in style, take a taxi to to Kyoto. The taxi dude will probably be super enthusiastic about this after a little bit of lipsmacking. The total fare is expected to be 130,000 yen.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I put together a decent route once I realized that I didn't have to backtrack at lake ashi. Wow good thing I'm not a minimum wage English teacher or I'd have to hitchhike!

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

ntan1 isn't kidding, more expensive places often provide exactly that service if you simply ask. Even if they don't take you there for free, calling a taxi for guests is one of the few services that nearly all hotels worldwide provide.

Kitchen knives, though, you're probably SOL.

edit: also given it may not be a good idea to jab English teachers in this or any of the Japan threads if you want to keep getting travel advice

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

zmcnulty posted:

ntan1 isn't kidding, more expensive places often provide exactly that service if you simply ask. Even if they don't take you there for free, calling a taxi for guests is one of the few services that nearly all hotels worldwide provide.

I was surprised that the black taxi app doesn't seem to work in hakone. I was actually trying to avoid a taxi since I wanted to try the cute local train, the ropeway, etc. I've almost never ridden on public transit before so it's part of the experience!

I am using one to go from gotemba to hakone since the only other options are a bus for an hour or a train that for some reason takes something like 2.5x as long.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Most ryokan offer a pick-up from the nearest train station, and everyone from hotels to dentists will call a taxi for customers. I'm sure you can get a ride for one leg and then use cute lil trains n boats n stuff.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Richard M Nixon posted:

I was actually trying to avoid a taxi since I wanted to try the cute local train, the ropeway, etc.

These are more or less designed as ways to enjoy and get around in a touristy area without as much worry about time, and generally Hakone is in the middle of mountains and valleys so the roads are twisty and narrow.

Have your hotel get a taxi to go to the museum, then get a taxi from the pirate ship to Odawara. Depending on traffic, that by itself might be 45 minutes.

Odawara to Kyoto is easy by bullet train, so just get to Odawara Station before 5:00 pm and you’ll make Kyoto by 7:00 pm.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3
My sister and I are spending about 3 weeks in Japan from 9/12 to 10/3: one week in Kansai, one week in Honshu, and the final week in Tokyo where her husband will join us. This will be my second visit, and my sister spent a year abroad in Kansai during college. That was in 2012. We both have a loose grasp on reading / speaking Japanese.

Can you guys help me convince my sister that booking an AirBnB in Tokyo is ok? We'll be spending a week there with her husband, and I think sharing an apartment would be the best option for 3 adults.

We've already booked a private twin room in a hostel in Osaka to operate out of during our Kansai week. http://www.chuogroup.jp/mikado/en/ It seemed like a great budget option. Has anyone stayed there or heard anything about it?

I'm tackling the Honshu leg of trip at the moment. Are we spending too much time here? Is it too ambitious? Should we treat Honshu like Kansai and get a place for the week and do day trips from Hiroshima? I don't want to spend too much time traveling, but staying at a different place every night sounds a little exhausting. Please let me know what y'all think about this tentative itinerary. I want to hit up Hiroshima, Miyajima, Saijo, Ookunoshima, Naoshima, and stop by Nagakute on the way to Tokyo. Only Miyajima and our arrival/departure dates are set in stone. I just organized this working from the east to west.

9/19 - Shinkansen arrives in Hiroshima. Rest day or sightseeing.
9/20 - Miyajima hotel booked https://www.mizuhasou.com/en-us
9/21 - Miyajima during the day, back to Hiroshima that night
9/22 - Hiroshima
9/23 - Hiroshima / Saijo
9/24 - Ookunoshima, Rabbit Island! Debating if it would be worth it to stay overnight at the resort there.
9/25 - Naoshima
9/26 - Shinkansen to Tokyo, with a stop in Nagakute to see the Totoro house

Aside from booking accommodations in Osaka, we haven't planned much. I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions leading up to September.

Spanish Inquisition fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 11, 2018

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Spanish Inquisition posted:

Can you guys help me convince my sister that booking an AirBnB in Tokyo is ok? We'll be spending a week there with her husband, and I think sharing an apartment would be the best option for 3 adults.

Why wouldn't it be? They removed the ones that aren't in compliance with the new laws.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Why wouldn't it be? They removed the ones that aren't in compliance with the new laws.

I think she's just paranoid? She keeps telling me she's nervous about it, that she's heard of people getting their bookings cancelled.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think she's just paranoid? She keeps telling me she's nervous about it, that she's heard of people getting their bookings cancelled.

I had a non-compliant booking, so AirBnB notified me, let me cancel for free, and gave me a coupon that allowed me to rebook a completely free room. It worked out great.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I had a non-compliant booking, so AirBnB notified me, let me cancel for free, and gave me a coupon that allowed me to rebook a completely free room. It worked out great.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem at all. I don't think she really gets AirBnB, like it seems shady to her for some reason. I'm gonna really push for it in Tokyo. Do you have any host recommendations?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've never used it before this trip, so no. As it turned out all of my bookings are at actual hostels/guesthouses/etc that are just taking people through AirBnB in addition to other sites.

Anyway for them to operate in Japan now they have to be registered as legal guesthouses and stuff so Japan is the least sketchy AirBnB country.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 11, 2018

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

There are, and the available ones are listed here:

http://www.go-etc.jp/english/expressway/index.html

Ntan delivers again, thanks. I knew there should be something like that.

And don't all cars require ETC? Thought getting that card is like an additional prerequisite besides owning a parking spot.

Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem at all. I don't think she really gets AirBnB, like it seems shady to her for some reason. I'm gonna really push for it in Tokyo. Do you have any host recommendations?

Honestly, AirBnB is shady compared to your hostel/hotel. They are like ubers for homes, their business model is based on a technicality. Don't get me wrong, they tend to be better in value because they skip a lot of overhead costs and the ones in Stayed in Tokyo were fine. One way to convince your sister is tell her that Japan is already generally ultra safe and ultra clean for tourists so she won't be mugged or staying in some roach motel. In fact, hosts expect guests to sort the trash properly and wear slippers inside the house.

Of all places to stay in AirBnB Japan should be her #1 choice. Worse comes worse, just book another hotel and cut your losses if bad things happen

You should give your sister poo poo for having a defective travel bullshit detector.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

zmcnulty posted:

edit: also given it may not be a good idea to jab English teachers in this or any of the Japan threads if you want to keep getting travel advice

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ETC is not required, and you can just take a ticket when you get on the highway and pay in cash when you exit. I did that for years before I was able to get an ETC card, and now that there are so few ETC discounts left it doesn’t even make that much of a difference in how much you pay.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did AirBnB actually finish removing noncompliant listings? All the ones I'm trying to book ten months out have a license number in their listings so I'm hoping I'll be good.

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006

caberham posted:

Ntan delivers again, thanks. I knew there should be something like that.

And don't all cars require ETC? Thought getting that card is like an additional prerequisite besides owning a parking spot.

Honestly, AirBnB is shady compared to your hostel/hotel. They are like ubers for homes, their business model is based on a technicality. Don't get me wrong, they tend to be better in value because they skip a lot of overhead costs and the ones in Stayed in Tokyo were fine. One way to convince your sister is tell her that Japan is already generally ultra safe and ultra clean for tourists so she won't be mugged or staying in some roach motel. In fact, hosts expect guests to sort the trash properly and wear slippers inside the house.

Of all places to stay in AirBnB Japan should be her #1 choice. Worse comes worse, just book another hotel and cut your losses if bad things happen

You should give your sister poo poo for having a defective travel bullshit detector.

You're right, her meter is hosed. The last time she booked a hostel for us in Tokyo, the proprietor's husband tried to convince me to move to Malaysia with him. I'm going to bring that up when she tries to talk us out of AirBnB.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

It isn't, including rental cars (although every rental car I have gotten has an ETC card slot for your own ETC card if you decide to rent). I did a car trip once a while back without an ETC card.

Happened a bit back (and at that time AirBNB was a bit shadier) but should be OK now. That being said, also consider private rooms at hostels, which often do make sense for Tokyo. Also consider a triple at a business hotel. The main issue with many AirBNBs is that they're far away from stations, so YMMV.

PS: Personally Hiroshima is a super quiet city and kind of boring compared to most of the 2nd tier japanese cities imho. I'm sure you can find something to do, but both Osaka and Tokyo are going to overshadow it (except for Miyajima/Nukes).

Basically what I'm saying is find a way to get to the Shimanami Kaido.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
What's the best way for me to learn Japanese?

Any good software or online tools?