Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Fools Infinite posted:

Focal length determines the geometry and isn't just the FOV. You can see in the picture above that in the smaller focal length things further away appear relatively smaller than closer things.

FOV is also determined by sensor size. A 35mm lens on a smaller crop sensor camera has a comparable FOV to a 50mm on a full frame one, but the geometry is the same as 35mm on a full frame sensor one. The edges are cropped off giving it a more narrow FOV.

Focal length (actual not equivalent) also determines depth of field (along with how close you are focusing). Shooting a fast lens wide open might not be desirable if it means you can't get as much of your subject in focus as you'd like.

Small aperture (big f number), focusing further away, and wide angle lenses give lots of depth of field, which is desirable in many cases.

poo poo, I can't remember where this was, but recently I read somewhere that the geometry distortion perceived at different focal lengths isn't actually a property of the lens, but of how far away the camera is from the subject. Like, in the comparison example posted upthread, it's apparent that the camera was moved as lenses were changed in order to maintain similar composition. Had the camera been left in place though, it's my understanding that you wouldn't see that same distortion, stuff would just be closer or further away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

President Beep posted:

Like, in the comparison example posted upthread, it's apparent that the camera was moved as lenses were changed in order to maintain similar composition. Had the camera been left in place though, it's my understanding that you wouldn't see that same distortion, stuff would just be closer or further away.

is this the correct way to use the word "distortion" here? My ignorant use of the word would be to describe the way very low mm lenses make straight lines appear curved. Is that wrong?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is this the correct way to use the word "distortion" here? My ignorant use of the word would be to describe the way very low mm lenses make straight lines appear curved. Is that wrong?

I think we're talking about the same thing. If I understand what I read correctly, you'd get that same "bending" if you had a telephoto lens close enough to your subject. I should probably just shut my trap, as I'm likely mangling some concepts here!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

President Beep posted:

poo poo, I can't remember where this was, but recently I read somewhere that the geometry distortion perceived at different focal lengths isn't actually a property of the lens, but of how far away the camera is from the subject. Like, in the comparison example posted upthread, it's apparent that the camera was moved as lenses were changed in order to maintain similar composition. Had the camera been left in place though, it's my understanding that you wouldn't see that same distortion, stuff would just be closer or further away.

Yeah, fstoppers did a video recently and it's been getting passed around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TTXY1Se0eg

Or if you hate videos:

https://imgur.com/a/OcU7T

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Yeah! Pretty sure I read the Fstoppers piece.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Vsauce also has a video that talks a bit about the effect, among other things that are moderately interesting and tangentially related to photography:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2gTSjoEExc

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Someone was reaaaaalll bored and decided to hook up their Canon lens to something that's a little short on resolution:

http://ekeler.com/game-boy-camera-canon-ef-mount/

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Binary Badger posted:

Someone was reaaaaalll bored and decided to hook up their Canon lens to something that's a little short on resolution:

http://ekeler.com/game-boy-camera-canon-ef-mount/
This is simultaneously rad as hell and seems like a lot of effort for something that's functionally useless.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!
Those results are actually way better than I was expecting...

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

TheLastManStanding posted:

Those results are actually way better than I was expecting...

Exactly my thoughts. I was playing with one of those a couple weeks ago and they're such horrible trash.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cameras aren't trash, but the neanderthal holding it that can't figure out an effective use for the tool certainly can be.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The new f2.8 70-200 is optically identical to the existing version. Only differences are coatings on some lens elements to reduce flaring, and changing the paint on the outside to a lighter shade. Crack open those wallets everyone. :downs:

The f4 is more of an upgrade. Closer focusing, flare reduction, 5 stop IS, new aperture blades, 72mm filters. But really, who would go for this when you could get the f2.8?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFTBw7-8gdk

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I took my 5D4 and 7D2 on vacation and left the GPS on the whole time. What's the best way to export the GPS data from the raw files into a text format? It'd be cool to noodle around with some mapping outside of Lightroom.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

The new f2.8 70-200 is optically identical to the existing version. Only differences are coatings on some lens elements to reduce flaring, and changing the paint on the outside to a lighter shade. Crack open those wallets everyone. :downs:

The f4 is more of an upgrade. Closer focusing, flare reduction, 5 stop IS, new aperture blades, 72mm filters. But really, who would go for this when you could get the f2.8?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFTBw7-8gdk

holy gently caress he sounds like Kermit the frog

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Something like exiftool should export all metadata to a text file.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

Bubbacub posted:

I took my 5D4 and 7D2 on vacation and left the GPS on the whole time. What's the best way to export the GPS data from the raw files into a text format? It'd be cool to noodle around with some mapping outside of Lightroom.

You need some kind of metadata batch processor I guess. There are some out there for EXIF data but not sure about RAW since different camera brands store the metadata in their own unique ways.

Comedy option: bulk export to JPEG from lightroom (thereby converting metadata to EXIF) and find an EXIF batch processor to dump it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

exiftool can do what you want:

https://sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/geotag.html#Inverse

Embrace the CLI.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

xzzy posted:

Good. I don't have any desire to upgrade then.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
same as the 24-105 then

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i went to an aquarium yesterday but i spent the entire time judging people near me based on their dslr body purchases.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
rebel scum

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

landgrabber posted:

i went to an aquarium yesterday but i spent the entire time judging people near me based on their dslr body purchases.

nobody with mirrorless?

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

akadajet posted:

nobody with mirrorless?

i saw an EOS-M actually hahah

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

akadajet posted:

nobody with mirrorless?

Wouldn't surprise me to see randos calling any digital camera a DSLR, to be fair.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

CodfishCartographer posted:

Wouldn't surprise me to see randos calling any digital camera a DSLR, to be fair.

gently caress off

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
A local camera shop is having a Canon event with a canon rep, gear demos etc. Are these things worth going to? They say there's added savings but I can't imagine it's much more than whatever the current rebates/free printers are, right?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

you might get to play with some shiny toys, at least

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Seamonster posted:

rebel scum
At the zoo last week, all those plebs with non-L glass :barf:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

My monocle doubles as a drop in CPL. :smug:

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

you might get to play with some shiny toys, at least

Well, I went, and it was not that great. The rep was pretty cheezy and they didn't even have a 100-400 to play with. They had everything in the M series and G series though :negative: 10% added discount on most things if you buy through the shop, which is more or less tax around here. Probably the best thing I learned was that there was going to be a free class on printing next weekend so I might go back for that.

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Bubbacub posted:

If youre willing to learn a bit of Bash scripting this is a fairly trivial thing with exiftool and pipes.

edit: I bought a 6D and a 24-70 f/4 and I am happy enough with it.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Hello Canon thread!

I had a 60D years back that I sold to go mirrorless and have been shooting Fuji for the last few years but I've been presented with an opportunity to snag Canon gear at an incredible discount so I think I'm going to switch back and finally take the dive into full frame. I don't shoot anything professionally only for fun and shoot general stuff (family gatherings, walking around, vacations, automotive, etc) but with the discounts I'm looking at I'm taking it as a chance to build a kit that I would never otherwise be able to justify. It's specific to Canon branded stuff, so I can't look at any third party lenses. So far I've put together this list based off of my memory of the lines, some quick research and talking with a buddy of mine:

6D II Body
24-70 f2.8 II
50 f1.4
135 f2
430EX-III

Thinking 1.4 over 1.2 on the 50mm for the drastic price difference vs. performance, I figure the 24-70 is what will sit on there most of the time and the 135 was suggested by my buddy to cover long range at almost half the cost of the 70-200. I'm tempted to add something on the ultra wide side as well, just because I've always loved that length style wise. Open to other suggestions as well.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'd suggest something 85mm because while the 135 is great its also a bit tight for portraiture indoors - unless you're doing that sort of thing exclusively outdoors.

See if you can't swing a 40mm pancake. The plain old 50mm is getting really long in the tooth and is pretty horrid wide open. The pancake on the other hand is totally usable wide open, aside from heavy vignetting.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Edit: ^^^ 135 is tight for indoor portraits, but my thinking was that the 50/1.4 would be suitable for that purpose. It's news to me that it sucks wide open, but I've never used it.

Depending on how much you're getting the flash for, it might still be worthwhile to check out just getting used copy instead. I don't think they hold value the same way lenses do.

With a 50/1.4 and a 135/2, I would personally be tempted to pick up a 16-35 as my L zoom instead of the 24-70. The 24-70 offers you a wide, normal, and short tele focal length, and you're already duplicating two of the three classes with those primes. If you were shooting events for money or in really fast-paced situations where changing lenses wouldn't be feasible, I'd say stick with the 24-70.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jul 10, 2018

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Ever since I got the 70-200 I haven't shot a single shot with my 85mm or 135mm. Would highly recommend that single lens instead.

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

Seamonster posted:

I'd suggest something 85mm because while the 135 is great its also a bit tight for portraiture indoors - unless you're doing that sort of thing exclusively outdoors.

See if you can't swing a 40mm pancake. The plain old 50mm is getting really long in the tooth and is pretty horrid wide open. The pancake on the other hand is totally usable wide open, aside from heavy vignetting.

I'd note that the f/1.4 version of the 50mm is quite a bit better than the f/1.8 version though; I shoot with it wide open or stopped down one stop and it's still sharper than my old 1.8 stopped down to f/4-ish.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

For what it's worth I really, really enjoy shooting with my 50 1.2 despite its minor faults - I wouldn't pay anything near it's RRP but if you don't mind waiting for a good second-hand deal then it's absolutely worth considering. The 24-70 2.8 II is by far my favourite walkaround lens though.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'll add in a 100mm f/2.8 macro lens as a suggestion. It's a nice portrait prime, and macro shots are surprisingly interesting on random walks. The L- version is really nice, but the cheap ones (and Sigma/Tamron ones) are great, too.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Seamonster posted:

I've never used the 40mm, I had the 50 1.8 before, the 1.4 was recommended as an upgrade without going all in on the 1.2 (though it's tempting to run a full L line up).

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Edit: ^^^ 135 is tight for indoor portraits, but my thinking was that the 50/1.4 would be suitable for that purpose. It's news to me that it sucks wide open, but I've never used it.

Depending on how much you're getting the flash for, it might still be worthwhile to check out just getting used copy instead. I don't think they hold value the same way lenses do.

With a 50/1.4 and a 135/2, I would personally be tempted to pick up a 16-35 as my L zoom instead of the 24-70. The 24-70 offers you a wide, normal, and short tele focal length, and you're already duplicating two of the three classes with those primes. If you were shooting events for money or in really fast-paced situations where changing lenses wouldn't be feasible, I'd say stick with the 24-70.

Yeah, I figured the 50 would be my indoor portrait lens. I haven't heard about it sucking wide open either, but I will look into it more. The discounts basically make it worth buying everything new, checking on prices I'd still save money over buying a used flash. I was looking at adding the 17-40 to get ultra wide coverage. My thinking was that the 24-70 would be my "bring one lens" setup for when I don't want to carry multiple lenses.

I appreciate the input so far, I've got some time to plan it out so I want to make sure I'm taking proper advantage of the opportunity.

ijyt posted:

For what it's worth I really, really enjoy shooting with my 50 1.2 despite its minor faults - I wouldn't pay anything near it's RRP but if you don't mind waiting for a good second-hand deal then it's absolutely worth considering. The 24-70 2.8 II is by far my favourite walkaround lens though.

I am somewhat tempted to go for the 1.2 based on the discounts I'm looking at, but it's hard to say how much I'd use it. I do shoot with a 35mm like 80% of the time right now on my Fuji, but I find it a little tight when I'm walking around, hence the zoom on my list.

Infinite Karma posted:

I'll add in a 100mm f/2.8 macro lens as a suggestion. It's a nice portrait prime, and macro shots are surprisingly interesting on random walks. The L- version is really nice, but the cheap ones (and Sigma/Tamron ones) are great, too.

I'll take a look, macro lenses have always felt niche enough that I've never looked into them much before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Ouhei posted:

Yeah, I figured the 50 would be my indoor portrait lens. I haven't heard about it sucking wide open either, but I will look into it more. The discounts basically make it worth buying everything new, checking on prices I'd still save money over buying a used flash. I was looking at adding the 17-40 to get ultra wide coverage. My thinking was that the 24-70 would be my "bring one lens" setup for when I don't want to carry multiple lenses.

...huh. I always wondered why the 50 1.4 was so cheap as well. It looks like it does kind of suck at 1.4.