Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I think the biggest thing I feel the Crossbell games do better than both the Sky and Cold Steel games is create a sense of "cohesion" between the whole cast (not just the SSS, but all the various Crossbell supporting characters as well). Sky's characters are individually really good and sometimes more memorable than those in the Crossbell games, but it feels like the Crossbell folks add up to a greater whole. Everyone bounces off of each other really well, and there are a lot of fun and unique personalities in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I think the biggest thing I feel the Crossbell games do better than both the Sky and Cold Steel games is create a sense of "cohesion" between the whole cast (not just the SSS, but all the various Crossbell supporting characters as well). Sky's characters are individually really good and sometimes more memorable than those in the Crossbell games, but it feels like the Crossbell folks add up to a greater whole. Everyone bounces off of each other really well, and there are a lot of fun and unique personalities in general.

I think it's because the cast is tighter knit. You can see what happens when Falcom try to do a larger cast size and how it kind of spirals out of control and becomes bloated with not everyone getting the focus they need or deserve in the Cold Steel games. There's a reason fans feel Juna, Kurt, Altina, Ash and Musee got more development in 3 than a good chunk of the original Class VII did in Cold Steel 1 and 2.

But yeah it's why I like the Crossbell games. Everyone is meaningful and contributes some way, even outside of the core cast of Lloyd, Randy, Tio and Elie. There isn't really a "Zin" or an "Elliott" in that duology. If I do have something to criticize the games for, it would be how important backstory information is hidden behind final bonding events for numerous characters in Ao which is baffling to me. Definitely something you'd need to keep and reload a save for.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Elliot was too mild. If they made him slow to anger but gave him a fiery temper he'd be a lot more interesting than Meek Music Boy.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

Elliot was too mild. If they made him slow to anger but gave him a fiery temper he'd be a lot more interesting than Meek Music Boy.

Tbf I feel like that’d sorta overlap with Machias being the hothead of the group, dude already has a hair trigger.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

This is a common take and as much as I loved the games I honestly don't fully agree. Given the potential of the small cast size it felt overly focused on just Lloyd's relationships with party members and didn't really develop any others much. Sorta telling of this is how Lloyd gets his combo craft in Zero with each party member following a meaningful scene and then every one else gets theirs through an item even though it would have been just 3 more scenes at that point.

In the end it still sells the SSS as a sort of makeshift family as well as the significance of the SSS as an organization so I guess it works but it could have been stronger.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

This is a common take and as much as I loved the games I honestly don't fully agree. Given the potential of the small cast size it felt overly focused on just Lloyd's relationships with party members and didn't really develop any others much. Sorta telling of this is how Lloyd gets his combo craft in Zero with each party member following a meaningful scene and then every one else gets theirs through an item even though it would have been just 3 more scenes at that point.

In the end it still sells the SSS as a sort of makeshift family as well as the significance of the SSS as an organization so I guess it works but it could have been stronger.

Oh, for sure, but I'm just comparing it with the other Trails games. And I'm not just referring to the party, but also the general supporting cast of characters from Crossbell (chief, Fran, bracer guild guy, etc). Like I mentioned, this is largely just the result of the games being centered on a single city, and it would be difficult to accomplish the same thing in the Sky or Cold Steel games since you're traveling to various places more often (though I feel CS3 does a a pretty good job with its main "hub" area).

Regarding the actual main party of the Crossbell games, I'd say that Ellie is kind of the weak link. The other characters left a much bigger impact on me.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Cryohazard posted:

At least Elliot develops a little more than Gaius. When sidequest characters have more of an arc than you you've got problems.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 10, 2018

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Justin_Brett posted:

At least Elliot develops a little more than Gaius. When sidequest characters have more of an arc than you you've got problems.

The Wind develops more than Gaius, though.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I started 3rd yesterday, and I don't think there's a single thing I despise in the Trails series thus far as much as Sun Door 1. I'm sure my tune will change once I hit the fishing one, but good gravy that was miserable.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

I started 3rd yesterday, and I don't think there's a single thing I despise in the Trails series thus far as much as Sun Door 1. I'm sure my tune will change once I hit the fishing one, but good gravy that was miserable.

Did you do both parts? (If it's what I think it is...)
And yeah, it's way too long for its own good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Sun Door 2 is much much worse, but Sun Door 3 is amazing.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

BearDrivingTruck posted:

all the mini games suck welcome to hell

Well trivia is fine

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

At the very least Gaius has a more significant role in 3 as I understand it, and there were foreshadowings of it in the games we already have. Elliot has always been the true weak link of the group, because he has literally nothing other than Meek Music Boy even hinted at.

Most developed (non-Rean) class members in translated Cold Steel have basically been Fie and Jusis, followed by Alisa, Laura and Machias. Emma SHOULD have been up there, but her big secret, while a big secret, has been virtually irrelevant to her individual character development and generally just affected the cast as a whole. Maybe, maybe this'll change in 4, what with it concluding this arc and us theoretically having to conclude Vita's story as well, along with dealing with the events of the end of 3... though I've gotten the impression its the new members of C7 leading the charge there.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Fishing has a top tier title screen so at least it has that going for it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Super Jay Mann posted:

Fishing has a top tier title screen so at least it has that going for it.

Arena's is better fite me. :colbert:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Laura had her thing with Fie and ???????????? I guess she broke a washing machine in a bonding event

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Laura had her thing with Fie and ???????????? I guess she broke a washing machine in a bonding event

if you weren't emotionally invested in laura teaching someone how to swim better i don't know what to tell you

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014
Gaius already had his poo poo together from the start pretty much so I don't think there was much to do there. I mean I guess he stood out in that he was definitely the most mature and he's kind of unique in that sense. I think that's what they were going for. Both him and Elliot were just sort of the 'bro' characters that were friends with Rean from the start.

...still boring though

The n00b Avenger fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 11, 2018

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm feeling the hankering for an action RPG and I hear YS VIII's call. So has anyone here bought the switch post? I feel like I've heard some conflicting reports on how stable and optimized it is. Is it crashy? Was there something about not installing a patch and DLC?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That's been long fixed. It's clearly not running at the intended frame rate, but it bothers me a lot less than when I first started playing it. That said, the cutscenes do feel like molasses at times - the actual game is fine.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The new CS4 news...

please hurry I need my potato quality blurry magazine leak scans

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

The new CS4 news...

29ish hours to that video thing.. which will probably be disappointing.

Edit: oh, I see what you mean.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jul 11, 2018

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

lets hang out posted:

I mean I don't really disagree with this, though she did have a decent bit more than just that, and she's definitely the least of that second group, but I didn't really feel like doing a numbered list. And that still puts her beyond what the other three got in the first two games.

On Zero/Ao, while I'd agree the core cast and their interactions with Lloyd are good - though Elie is somewhat boring - ultimately I found the story itself just failed for its ending sequence in the latter game.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

The new CS4 news...

Guan's got the good stuff... the blurry, blurry good stuff.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

The Doomhammer posted:

Guan's got the good stuff... the blurry, blurry good stuff.

Indeed they do.:bignews:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
For Ys, am I going to be super confused about ~the core plot~ if I do 1 > 2 > Oath > Origin/Ark ( or should I do Ark/Origin ) > Celceta?

I've already played Oath and one of the paths of Origin ( long ago ). Planning to do the whole series with the release of Celceta on PC. Kinda don't want to play Celceta prior to Oath/Origin/Ark if I don't need to, since the engine jump seems like it could be rough.

Should I do Origin before or after Ark.

Should I play Seven before or after Celceta?

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
The only Ys games with a core plot going on through multiple games are 1, 2, and Origin. Aside from references, each game aside from those are pretty stand-alone.

I feel like it's probably best to play in release date order, but if you want to know the timeline, I'm pretty sure it's:

Origins > 1> 2 > Celceta > Oath > 5 (which will probably get a "canonized" remake soon down the line) > 8 > Ark > 7

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've played every* game multiple times and I've no idea what the core plot is

*not V

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only real issue with playing Ys games out of order is that you'll being going back and forth between game systems that have been evolving over the years. Origin/Felghana for example are a lot tighter than Napishtim, Ys VIII a lot better than VII, etc.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

A Sinister Rap posted:

The only Ys games with a core plot going on through multiple games are 1, 2, and Origin. Aside from references, each game aside from those are pretty stand-alone.

I feel like it's probably best to play in release date order, but if you want to know the timeline, I'm pretty sure it's:

Origins > 1> 2 > Celceta > Oath > 5 (which will probably get a "canonized" remake soon down the line) > 8 > Ark > 7

p sure Celceta comes after Oath but the timeline matters about as much as Zelda's timeline so nbd

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Well I'm screaming like a mad man, thank you falcom.

Sen 4 character spoilers:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Thank god my curiosity didn't betray me on actual story spoilers.

In unrelated news, my wallet is spontaneously 120€ lighter and there's also a new envelope in my drawers labeled Cold Steel 3&4 Funds.
I honestly have no idea how that happened.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Well I'm screaming like a mad man, thank you falcom.

Sen 4 character spoilers:

loving FINALLY YESSSSS

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

omfg MORE new characters???? this cast is too fukken big already

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Really Pants posted:

omfg MORE new characters???? this cast is too fukken big already

Never big enough, clearly.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Amppelix posted:

I'm feeling the hankering for an action RPG and I hear YS VIII's call. So has anyone here bought the switch post? I feel like I've heard some conflicting reports on how stable and optimized it is. Is it crashy? Was there something about not installing a patch and DLC?

I'm enjoying it so far, but I have terrible eyesight, so any graphics issues don't really bother me much (and I haven't noticed any major graphics problems). I haven't had any stability issues, and I've been running it handheld exclusively.

The combat is fun, but my only real complaint is, oddly, the flash guard/dodge system. In a vacuum, a perfect block/dodge being rewarded is neat, but so many boss fights come down to standing next to the boss, flash guarding them, and then attacking while invincible. Wash, rinse, repeat. This also applies to some enemies that kind of have a more miniboss status.

The plot also does drag a bit at times, and has an irritating fascination with opening up a new area and then tearing you away from it to faff about somewhere else for 20 minutes before you can go back.

Overall though, I'm enjoying it and consider it worth the purchase.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
So about that character reveal... she's now Renne "Bright", huh? Did that happen earlier in CS?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

It's a new development

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Sakurai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Must... not... click...spoilers!