Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

What did you think of the expansion? I love the elegant simplicity of the base and expansion and am skeptical about adding a new mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

LongDarkNight posted:

What did you think of the expansion? I love the elegant simplicity of the base and expansion and am skeptical about adding a new mechanic.

It makes the game more aggressive and end quicker for sure, but I did only get to try with 2 of the wind token cards. Basically it lets you move their pieces around and put them in dangerous spots, leading to faster aggression like playing with the Tiger card or any other big movements. I liked it but interested in seeing everything else in there.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Mister Sinewave posted:

Huh, I like having resource bits because I budget and plan by making little piles in slightly different orientations/spacing. It helps me think bigtime.

yeah same

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

al-azad posted:

Do you know a third party selling them? Because Geek Chic went out of business last year.

I'm aware. This is on Craigslist so no, I don't know them but they aren't selling anywhere near what full retail would be. Just trying to get an idea of the quality of the build since these were mass produced and I'm not certain if they ran into similar problems to the boardgametables kickstarter.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SettingSun posted:

That definitely was news to me. A Geek Chic table was always on my 'if I ever have a shitton of disposable money' list after seeing the one on Tabletop.

My friend has a very positive experience with Game Toppers. It's the top part that rests on your table and features all the amenities of Geek Chic tables at 3/4 the cost and it can be folded in half for storage or portability. The idea was absurd to me at first but then it dawned on me that all the "nice" tables at Origins were these table toppers resting on $20 Costco folding card tables.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I told my wife that a Rathskellers table was going to be my midlife crisis purchase (I'm still 10+ years away) and she said it was better than a convertible so I think I'm good.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I told my wife that a Rathskellers table was going to be my midlife crisis purchase (I'm still 10+ years away) and she said it was better than a convertible so I think I'm good.

The real mid-life crisis is building a shop and buying a ton of tools and developing all the requisite woodworking skills to build one of those on your own for exactly $0 cost savings.

Then refusing to build anything ever again.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

I am owner and fan of BBO Poker Tables. Has never actually had a poker game played on, fits every board game I have put on it (fits 6x3 Armada games with ease on the topper). Can customize the arm rest material, legs, top etc. Extremely reasonable price wise, mine also came with topper that is removable. Picture for reference:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I've seen Rathskeller's stuff. It was a little hard to see behind the beer, mind you.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Huxley posted:

The real mid-life crisis is building a shop and buying a ton of tools and developing all the requisite woodworking skills to build one of those on your own for exactly $0 cost savings.

Then refusing to build anything ever again.

It's like you've got a crystal ball...

Seriously though, I would love to follow one of the many guides on BGG to creating an inexpensive table with IKEA components and other stuff. Portability is a big thing since I don't want to be staring at it the whole time until I get a place with a basement/dedicated gaming room to leave it set up. Thank god I've got enough friends and family with tools and shops.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

I am owner and fan of BBO Poker Tables. Has never actually had a poker game played on, fits every board game I have put on it (fits 6x3 Armada games with ease on the topper). Can customize the arm rest material, legs, top etc. Extremely reasonable price wise, mine also came with topper that is removable. Picture for reference:

Aren't those like $1,800 USD?

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 9, 2018

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

FulsomFrank posted:

That's cheap for a game table.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I’ll throw out a recommendation for Carolina game tables. Theyre local from back home and do great work, I’ve seen a few in person at Gencon and their products are super solid.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

FulsomFrank posted:

It's like you've got a crystal ball...

Seriously though, I would love to follow one of the many guides on BGG to creating an inexpensive table with IKEA components and other stuff. Portability is a big thing since I don't want to be staring at it the whole time until I get a place with a basement/dedicated gaming room to leave it set up. Thank god I've got enough friends and family with tools and shops.

Sounds about right.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

al-azad posted:

My friend has a very positive experience with Game Toppers. It's the top part that rests on your table and features all the amenities of Geek Chic tables at 3/4 the cost and it can be folded in half for storage or portability. The idea was absurd to me at first but then it dawned on me that all the "nice" tables at Origins were these table toppers resting on $20 Costco folding card tables.

I'm considering getting one of these, too. I like the idea of being able to alternate between having it on a table in the guest room or in the dining room or just stowed. It's also cool that it can be made into two separate smaller toppers.

My only concern (besides it being expensive) is that it would raise the surface by 3 inches or so. My table is already 30 inches tall so that would put it somewhere in between table and kitchen counter height. I've read some people that prefer games at a higher than dining room surface, and some that don't. I guess I could make my own prototype with some junk and see how it feels

al-azad
May 28, 2009

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I'm considering getting one of these, too. I like the idea of being able to alternate between having it on a table in the guest room or in the dining room or just stowed. It's also cool that it can be made into two separate smaller toppers.

My only concern (besides it being expensive) is that it would raise the surface by 3 inches or so. My table is already 30 inches tall so that would put it somewhere in between table and kitchen counter height. I've read some people that prefer games at a higher than dining room surface, and some that don't. I guess I could make my own prototype with some junk and see how it feels

Nowhere near kitchen counter height for us, but it is raised just enough that my arms are almost parallel with the floor but it doesn't affect my reach or ability to move components around while sitting comfortably. There's an indentation around the rim that holds your cards so I find I actually have proper posture instead of hunched over the table.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

My tabletopper used Geek Chic materials for $100. I think I've posted it a time or two in here.

5/8" or so 'nice' 4'x8' sheet for $40 to keep it flat and stiff, a roll of that special 1/4" foam for something like $20, then bella velvet (what geek chic used supposedly) for like $40. Staple gun, spray glue, and that's it. Bonus points for putting some blocks underneath to keep it from sliding around.

I put it on top of an old kitchen table boosted up to counter height, so we can either sit in counter height stools or stand up without towering over others.

No tools required, and it's huge. I skipped all the fancy stuff and just bought some tv trays that fit between the players.

Edit: I hate the wood and green carpet, I just bought this house semi-recently, and the previous owners had a pool table here. At least the 4' tube light they had installed over it works perfectly for boardgames too.

Ravendas fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 10, 2018

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
I too spend a reasonable amount on a simple topper. made a full table with convertible top, accessory rails and a matching bench.

Bella velvet for the playing surface is a pro pick.

Bodanarko fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jul 10, 2018

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

CommonShore posted:

Founders or Gloomhaven trip report
There was one rules question (do players follow the "vote" action?) which I couldn't resolve in the book anywhere.

The rules were not clear that each player gets an identical starting deck - Construction, Recruit &c. In a 2p game that adds "Income."

My game arrived and I was studying the rulebook and I think you can find the answers in the rulebook. It is still not perfect and I had to read it twice. Some missing words and sometimes too maný words.

Like the starting deck:

On page 3 the rulebook says:

"Each Player starts with:
• Five (six in a 2-player game) standard action cards of their color (“Recruit,” “Trade,” “Upgrade,” “Construct,” and “Call to Vote”[and “Income” in a 2-player game])"

The cards each player gets are pretty clear but the color part is confusing. Maybe there used to be a color coded deck for every faction?

The part about following an action is described on page 11 under the "Call to Work" section.

"Leading and Following:

After a player plays a face up card as their call to work action and fully resolves it, all other players in player order, starting with the player to the active player’s left, can then follow that call to work action."

Call to Vote is not a Call to Work action so you don't follow it.

A revised rulebook with a, like you said, cross reference section and such would be pretty nice.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think the thing that always impresses me the most when people post board game tables and rooms is how many people can afford houses

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Countblanc posted:

I think the thing that always impresses me the most when people post board game tables and rooms is how many people can afford houses

When you need a place to store your board games, the sky is the limit.

Edit: Like you know how a mother will lift a car to save her child? It's like that, but with the making enough money to buy a house, and board games.

What I'm saying here is if you don't have a house big enough for a dedicated board game room (also a multi-thousand dollar table) then you don't love them enough.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Jul 10, 2018

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Morpheus posted:

When you need a place to store your board games, the sky is the limit.

Edit: Like you know how a mother will lift a car to save her child? It's like that, but with the making enough money to buy a house, and board games.

What I'm saying here is if you don't have a house big enough for a dedicated board game room (also a multi-thousand dollar table) then you don't love them enough.

One of the requirements while we were house hunting was that it had a finished basement and an area I could call my games area. This was after coming from a small apartment in Taiwan and really having to limit the size and scope of things, with everything having to be hidden away between uses.

Feels good to have the space now.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ravendas posted:

One of the requirements while we were house hunting was that it had a finished basement and an area I could call my games area. This was after coming from a small apartment in Taiwan and really having to limit the size and scope of things, with everything having to be hidden away between uses.

Feels good to have the space now.

I went from 700 square feet to 2500 when I bought my house and boy can you acquire games when you have that kind of space, especially if you don't have kids and can pile games basically anywhere.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

deadwing posted:

I went from 700 square feet to 2500 when I bought my house and boy can you acquire games when you have that kind of space, especially if you don't have kids and can pile games basically anywhere.

Same, except I have two toddler daughters whom I can use as an excuse to buy games. Am I going to play some of these games now? Probably not, but in a few years they can be teaching aids and fun family time with the kids. The three year old can already play Indigo with me, though only half a game before her attention span fades. I just ask if she wants to take a break when she's looking tired or distracted, so there's no stress in starting or ending a game.

My Haba game collection is going to skyrocket in a year or two.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ravendas posted:

Same, except I have two toddler daughters whom I can use as an excuse to buy games. Am I going to play some of these games now? Probably not, but in a few years they can be teaching aids and fun family time with the kids. The three year old can already play Indigo with me, though only half a game before her attention span fades. I just ask if she wants to take a break when she's looking tired or distracted, so there's no stress in starting or ending a game.

Start now and start with Iquazu, it's great. It says 10+, but kids as young as six could at least understand the mechanics if not the strategy (especially if you play a simplified variant with just the dark blue bonus tiles so no special powers).

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ravendas posted:

Personal experience but you can learn Go by the time you’re 4-5 (iirc).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Eclipse 2.0 is up

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kolossalgames/eclipse-second-dawn-for-the-galaxy

I’ll wait for retail if it turns out to be worth it as opposed to getting the original cheap but that is a really nice production with the trays and everything.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Eclipse 2.0 is up

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kolossalgames/eclipse-second-dawn-for-the-galaxy

I’ll wait for retail if it turns out to be worth it as opposed to getting the original cheap but that is a really nice production with the trays and everything.
Looks like a nice combination of things I don't like. I'll just wait until the cult of the new gets it and grab the old one on the cheap.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 10, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chill la Chill posted:

Personal experience but you can learn Go by the time you’re 4-5 (iirc).

This is good to know cause I want to teach my now 3-yo how to play go so he'll be able to beat me by the time he's like 8.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

silvergoose posted:

This is good to know cause I want to teach my now 3-yo how to play go so he'll be able to beat me by the time he's like 8.

:stoked:

In honor of the eclipse 2.0 KS, you have been visited by the cube emissary.

Cubes will come to you in your next 10 games but only if you say give cube thank

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Countblanc posted:

I rented a house for some time before I bought a house and I could have a board game table and some space for my games.

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
Welp, thanks to this thread (and a very nicely priced ebay listing) I now have Earth Reborn coming to my house next week and I'm super pumped to crack it open. Hopefully I can find a few gaming friends to commit to diving into it's depths.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Chubbs posted:

Welp, thanks to this thread (and a very nicely priced ebay listing) I now have Earth Reborn coming to my house next week and I'm super pumped to crack it open. Hopefully I can find a few gaming friends to commit to diving into it's depths.

Just remember that the tutorial scenarios are 2p only, even though the game supports up to 4. I am not through the tutorial scenarios, so I can't tell you how good it is past 2p.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
:siren: :homebrew: :siren: :homebrew: :siren: :homebrew: :siren:

The Kickstarter for CMON's Cthulhucide: Kill Cthulhu, and Death, is Now Live

Exclusive toddler-sized Cthulhu is sadly already sold out.

Shoot ancient unfathomable cosmic horror in the face with 1920s era weaponry as the public domain works of H.P. Lovecraft are raided for hot new content. Skip the boring investigation parts of Fantasy Flight's weak-rear end Arkham and Eldritch Horror games and get right to the meat of Lovecraft's works, shooting things to kill them, as CMON takes a fresh look at an underused theme. Hopefully someone edited the Wiki page on Lovecraft monsters so we get some new elder gods in here!

Lovingly-crafted cosmic horror and cultist miniatures for only $100. Please contribute because only with your help can publicly-traded CMON Limited bring this project to fruition. Help the creators see their dream of creating Cthulhu is Dead: Now Kill Death come true.

:siren: :homebrew: :siren: :homebrew: :siren: :homebrew: :siren:

(Cross posting because everyone needs to be aware of CMON doing a Lovecraft game.)

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jul 10, 2018

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer

homullus posted:

Just remember that the tutorial scenarios are 2p only, even though the game supports up to 4. I am not through the tutorial scenarios, so I can't tell you how good it is past 2p.

Yeah, it'll be annoying to have to play through the scenarios repeatedly in order to get 2 or 3 other people up to speed, but I guess that's just the nature of the beast. It just seems like a really worthwhile system to learn, and getting a shrinkwrapped copy for 40 bucks was hard to pass up.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Once you know it well enough, I'd recommend just skipping to like the fourth scenario or whatever and start teaching from there. Teaching/learning the game by playing through every campaign scenario is well enough for the first time, but after that it's like the Space Alert tutorial where you should just teach it in chunks instead of doing it piecemeal.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Over/Under on total backing for this KS set at $1.65 Million

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Okay, I thought they were sold out of the toddler-sized Cthulhus, but instead they keep adding more limited quantities, incremented at $5 each, because CMON. Don't know if they have a hard limit or if they'll keep increasing as the limit of people willing to pay for this poo poo approaches infinity.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

taser rates posted:

Once you know it well enough, I'd recommend just skipping to like the fourth scenario or whatever and start teaching from there. Teaching/learning the game by playing through every campaign scenario is well enough for the first time, but after that it's like the Space Alert tutorial where you should just teach it in chunks instead of doing it piecemeal.

I think Scenario 2 is pretty important. If NORAD draws decent movement orders, there's little stopping them from getting Vasquez to the keycard on turn 1, other than interrupts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

Grimey Drawer

taser rates posted:

Cool, thanks for the tip. I'll grab the streamlined rules and updated character cards from Esoteric Order of Gamers as well, they look really nice.