Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

infernal machines posted:

that's the default unless you have location services turned on.

why it exists in the first place is beyond me

[in extremely office team voice] wait what, something can be undefined??????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

one of our internal apps that i do some occasional development on was misbehaving, it turns out that a GPO setting a registry key had a zero width space in it

i dont know if i want to blame unicode or microsoft so im gonna go with both

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

that's the default unless you have location services turned on.

why it exists in the first place is beyond me

for people who go outside weather is nice 2 have on calendar.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's also like a bajillion other ways to get the weather on your computer, including, by default, just opening the loving start menu

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

we're in a tv bubble where every stupid idea is getting greenlit by companies looking for anything to offer on their future streaming service

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
microsoft made a low cost surface that isn't arm, for some reason

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

Microsoft Surface Go Is a Cheap, Tiny Tablet That Might Just Beat the iPad

uh yeah... sure.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it might. i mean, it doesn't, but it might

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

also the review is basically "i thought this thing was going to be unusable poo poo, but it was slightly better than i expected"

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

akadajet posted:

uh yeah... sure.

if you grab it with both hands and swing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

quote:

The sample I played with stayed securely in every position I stuck it in. There was no floppiness.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

The immediately luxurious look of the thing and that appealing hinge almost distracted me from the specs. Those specs are far less appealing than the price. $400 will get you just 64GB of storage, 4GB of RAM, and a wimpy Pentium 4415Y processor.

That’s pretty average for the price point, and generally means a machine that is deeply slow and frustrating to use. Yet Microsoft insists it worked hand in hand with Intel to optimize software for the CPU. Specifically it’s been optimized to work better with Windows and Microsoft Office.

I obviously haven’t had time to benchmark the Surface Go, but
now that's some good tech journalism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no one like a flaccid kickstand

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

now that's some good tech journalism

gotta go (to press) fast

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

it has two ports: usb c and a surface hole

$399 (pen and keyboard not included, $99 each)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

not only do i really want to use a stylus with my tabletputer in tyool 2018 and beyond, i want to pay a hundred earth dollars to do that

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Boiled Water posted:

it has two ports: usb c and a surface hole

$399 (pen and keyboard not included, $99 each)
wrap it up ipadailures

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

not only do i really want to use a stylus with my tabletputer in tyool 2018 and beyond, i want to pay a hundred earth dollars to do that

well why on earth are you buying a tablet pc to begin with, if not to use a stylus?

and also, why on earth are you buying a tablet pc to begin with?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

and also, why on earth are you

you missed one

i don't know that either

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

no floppiness? two ports including a surface hole? this just keeps getting better

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

FMguru posted:

wrap it up ipadailures

big
and slow
and bad and clunky
the toy for ipadailures is junky
and when it boots
the bad computer goes

*47 second delay, followed by a stuttering, tinny rendition of the windows startup sound*

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

flakeloaf posted:

big
and slow
and bad and clunky
the toy for ipadailures is junky
and when it boots
the bad computer goes

*47 second delay, followed by a stuttering, tinny rendition of the windows startup sound*
excellent, currently my second favorite version of the song

(this is my fave, ofc)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQis9xkYkg0

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

why does this exist and why is it 900 loving dollars?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

with a perminent connection to the internet when in cell-tower coverage

with a what

and it'll stay on forever as long as it's plugged in to a working outlet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

with a what

not a copy editor, evidently

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

surface hole

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

whats the loving deal with microsoft web pages taking ages to load? do they just have so much garbage on the backend that it needs to redirect 800 times?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NEED MORE MILK posted:

whats the loving deal with microsoft web pages taking ages to load? do they just have so much garbage on the backend that it needs to redirect 800 times?
yes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

and also integration with liveid and god knows what else, so if you have the wrong cookies you can end up being blocked from seeing a public web page

oh and they completely shitfucked all their technet stuff a couple years ago so none of their links to documentation or reference materials work on their own loving website.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and also integration with liveid and god knows what else, so if you have the wrong cookies you can end up being blocked from seeing a public web page

oh and they completely shitfucked all their technet stuff a couple years ago so none of their links to documentation or reference materials work on their own loving website.

i love clicking a "get help on this error" link in a program and it going to a 404

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I love clicking the help icon in a program and all it does is do a web search on that topic lmao

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Chris Knight posted:

I love clicking the help icon in a program and all it does is do a web search on that topic lmao

using bing, to add insult to injury

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

does bing still give blatant scam ads top placement?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

i mostly use bing to search for the chrome downloader on a new wandows install, and it always fills the top of the screen with pleading microsoft ads touting how awesome edge is

in other words, yes

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

just searched "google cloud" on bing. top ad was for cloud.google.com. so yes, it does.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i'm thinking like where you search an error code and the top results are "windows error fixer 2018 pro download"

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

proper docs? that shits for nerds

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the code documents itself

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

agile development and release processes have pretty much made accurate documentation impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they've also made developing a functional product impossible, so might as well fire your qa people and just let the devs run free