Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PostNouveau posted:

From what I've read, those groups are also very effective and good at it.

Like, maybe the DSA doesn't need a disability working group. It can just follow behind the efforts of these allied groups. Maybe the local chapters put people in place to keep connected with those groups?

Phi230 posted:

I do not like how the DWG are drama magnets

It's like loving high school poo poo

I think the key thing everybody already passionate about disability activism already is part of one existing group or another, so the DWG isn't much more than a power vacuum to be seized by attention seekers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Is it actually true that his local has a rule against being loud in meetings, but is held in a handicap-inaccessible Society of Friends meeting house?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

PostNouveau posted:

From what I've read, those groups are also very effective and good at it.

Like, maybe the DSA doesn't need a disability working group. It can just follow behind the efforts of these allied groups. Maybe the local chapters put people in place to keep connected with those groups?

I think the goal of a disability working group might be to help with blindspots or aspects of planning and inclusivity because they're more vulnerable to being discarded by the capitalist system.
I wouldn't hold the failure/dramaseekers this attempt has attracted against the concept. Plus having a national framework of 'stuff you should be aware of' could help with smaller chapters or ones inexperienced with some of the issues.
Like if you don't work in education or have experience with a special needs kid, you might not know how lovely and underfunded that aspect of public education is.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I don't get all the Conor beef, all this poo poo is about national-level DSA, which everyone acknowledges is a shitshow

He's in my local, and I don't know him, but I know people who know him, and afaik he's fine in the local

no stop don't say anything that could possibly break the illusion that he's a COINTELPRO psyop and not just some guy who people spend way too much time being creepy and gross about

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Syndlig posted:

no stop don't say anything that could possibly break the illusion that he's a COINTELPRO psyop and not just some guy who people spend way too much time being creepy and gross about

Yeah I agree it's really creepy and gross to publicly discuss someone else's public statements, especially when they are a prominent member of an organization you are also part of. That's what creepy and gross is. It's not, like, actual harassment, it's being a little mean online

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Coolness Averted posted:

I think the goal of a disability working group might be to help with blindspots or aspects of planning and inclusivity because they're more vulnerable to being discarded by the capitalist system.
I wouldn't hold the failure/dramaseekers this attempt has attracted against the concept. Plus having a national framework of 'stuff you should be aware of' could help with smaller chapters or ones inexperienced with some of the issues.
Like if you don't work in education or have experience with a special needs kid, you might not know how lovely and underfunded that aspect of public education is.

I bet these resources already exist from groups that already do this, and we don't require a whole working group to pass around guidelines.

Captain Queernabs
Dec 25, 2005

Fig. 1: bonehorse
Pillbug
• dsa's relationship to people with disabilities is generally suboptimal, even unkind, and there's a lot of room to be more gracious and conscientious in putting their needs above one's own when planning healthcare-related work
• it's pretty weird to make a spreadsheet of Cum Town subreddit posts about yourself and fashion your entire online #Brand around being mad at Amber

Both can be true

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Coolness Averted posted:

So DSA Long Beach's event with Tim Faust was today and went extremely well, we filled the little bar up with close to 30 people (good for such short notice) and it looked like we got the place some extra cash, which is good since they're kinda slow and seem like they've been struggling. Also had a rep from CNA give a little local speech and answer stuff during the Q&A if any of you are having him, or just in general doing any healthcare events, reach out to the local nurses union since they're generally gonna be sympathetic to us on a bunch of stuff.

This is good. Nurses own

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

Is it actually true that his local has a rule against being loud in meetings, but is held in a handicap-inaccessible Society of Friends meeting house?

no lol

also it’s a rule that we use asl language for clapping which has the benefit of making our meetings go quicker since we don’t have grandstanding clapping and people can keep talking during clapping

we’re also the same chapter that protested the dhs Secretary and singlehandedly destroyed the decorum ideal of leaving public servants alone in public.

y’all are loving obsessed

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

Yeah I agree it's really creepy and gross to publicly discuss someone else's public statements, especially when they are a prominent member of an organization you are also part of. That's what creepy and gross is. It's not, like, actual harassment, it's being a little mean online

He's not even a prominent member

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Is it a concerning sign about a given DSA chapter where their meetings are months apart (the last one was in March) and they only put up a new one when I suddenly messaged them on FB about if they were going to have one in the near future and they set up one a few minutes after (in this case, set for the 14th) along with a modest slew of activity after being more or less inactive since May.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Zikan posted:

y’all are loving obsessed

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

Xelkelvos posted:

Is it a concerning sign about a given DSA chapter where their meetings are months apart (the last one was in March) and they only put up a new one when I suddenly messaged them on FB about if they were going to have one in the near future and they set up one a few minutes after (in this case, set for the 14th) along with a modest slew of activity after being more or less inactive since May.

sounds like they might be not terribly active or they don't remember to do social media. my branch is kind of not great at keeping up with Facebook though we try to make sure the meetings are on there ASAP.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

hm it appears both sides are weird and creepy. tough to make a call here... guess it's a land of contrasts

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

He's not even a prominent member

he has 4,300 more twitter followers than me sooo

Karl Barks has issued a correction as of 17:20 on Jul 10, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Karl Barks posted:

he has 4,300 more twitter followers than me sooo

ah so that's what this is about

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zikan posted:

also it’s a rule that we use asl language for clapping which has the benefit of making our meetings go quicker since we don’t have grandstanding clapping and people can keep talking during clapping
Yeah I actually prefer the whole waving/jazz hands over clapping because it does really speed things along and its quiet.

achillesforever6 has issued a correction as of 17:37 on Jul 10, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
We just snap fingers like we're reading beatnik poetry it's cool

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ah so that's what this is about

That's what all of this is and has always been about

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Syndlig posted:

sounds like they might be not terribly active or they don't remember to do social media. my branch is kind of not great at keeping up with Facebook though we try to make sure the meetings are on there ASAP.

I'm fairly certain it's the former. It's in Florida, and the second reddest major city in the state after Pensacola, I think, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised that the major Leftist org isn't too active here compared to the more typical Democratic/Liberal orgs which hew towards more minority outreach stuff.

I'm missing a monthly board game meetup to attend but :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Xelkelvos posted:

A national dsa contact swung through here and convinced our local council to make general meetings quarterly instead of monthly. We're pointing new members to committee meetings now. You may need to find a committee you like.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

PostNouveau posted:

A national dsa contact swung through here and convinced our local council to make general meetings quarterly instead of monthly. We're pointing new members to committee meetings now. You may need to find a committee you like.

I like the way our local does it. Formal Robert's rules meetings every other month, with "organizing meetings" on the off months that are treated toward new members and committee recruitment.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I think that's the case at this point. If not for the fact that the next nearest chapter is almost two hours away and meet on weekdays, I'd've considered going there for meets. I'll probably ask whoever shows up at the meeting I guess I prompted as to what to do.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

That's what all of this is and has always been about

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
someone on Reddit wrote an exhaustive write up of all the drama and the timeline of it leading up to this

https://www.reddit.com/r/stupidpol/comments/8j7or0/ambergate_how_idpol_moral_panics_work_at_the_dsa/

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

can you just shut the gently caress up about this you obsessive rear end in a top hat

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Zikan posted:

can you just shut the gently caress up about this you obsessive rear end in a top hat
u ok???

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm fairly certain it's the former. It's in Florida, and the second reddest major city in the state after Pensacola, I think, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised that the major Leftist org isn't too active here compared to the more typical Democratic/Liberal orgs which hew towards more minority outreach stuff.

I'm missing a monthly board game meetup to attend but :shrug:

Jacksonville or Tallahassee? Jax hasn't really been active for the past few months for similar reasons.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

I don't get all the Conor beef, all this poo poo is about national-level DSA, which everyone acknowledges is a shitshow

He's in my local, and I don't know him, but I know people who know him, and afaik he's fine in the local

The Terminally Online are perfectly fine and agreeable when they have to deal with you face to face and then stab you in the back the second you're not able to look them in the eye

When I was with my old chapter I disconnected entirely and only worked face to face/over the phone and the onliners stopped being an issue for me :iiam:

Business Gorillas has issued a correction as of 18:31 on Jul 10, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ace of Baes posted:

someone on Reddit wrote an exhaustive write up of all the drama and the timeline of it leading up to this

https://www.reddit.com/r/stupidpol/comments/8j7or0/ambergate_how_idpol_moral_panics_work_at_the_dsa/

tl;dr

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Oh Hell No posted:

Jacksonville or Tallahassee? Jax hasn't really been active for the past few months for similar reasons.

Jax. Tallahassee is relatively Blue based on what I recall from the county based voting maps.

Gainesville's DSA chapter is now the overall chapter for Central Florida DSA (even though Central Florida would nominally be around Orlando which has their own chapter).

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Ace of Baes posted:

dang sick link to a terf dude, going through his post history he uses a lot of words like "triggered" and "id-pol", is this just your alt?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Vhak lord of hate posted:

dang sick link to a terf dude, going through his post history he uses a lot of words like "triggered" and "id-pol", is this just your alt?

I don't know who that dude is I just saw the post linked on another subreddit lol

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
is anything he posted incorrect? bc it all seems pretty accurate from what I've seen

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Xelkelvos posted:

Jax. Tallahassee is relatively Blue based on what I recall from the county based voting maps.

Gainesville's DSA chapter is now the overall chapter for Central Florida DSA (even though Central Florida would nominally be around Orlando which has their own chapter).

Yeah, my understanding is that Jax has had difficulty maintaining enough activity for a chapter. If they've seen anything like the increase in interest we've seen locally, it may be that they're trying to spin back up.

I'm eternally angry at Gainesville, which isn't considered Central Florida by any reasonable measure, taking a name that encapsulates both our chapter and Orlando's.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
i could not begin to care enough to go through that post and point out all the times he assumes only good faith from people he agrees with and bad from people he disagrees with and things he's conveniently leaving out i'm only pointing out that everything ive seen from him he's been as abrasive and single minded about complaining that disabled people are wreckers and fbi agents as you are constantly. if he's not your reddit alt you have a twin out there that loves saying retard almost as much as you. every time this thread starts to veer away from talking about conor or whoever we've exhaustively covered you have to steer it back to this boring bullshit because it's seemingly the only thing you've been paying attention to

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

i could not begin to care enough to go through that post and point out all the times he assumes only good faith from people he agrees with and bad from people he disagrees with and things he's conveniently leaving out i'm only pointing out that everything ive seen from him he's been as abrasive and single minded about complaining that disabled people are wreckers and fbi agents as you are constantly. if he's not your reddit alt you have a twin out there that loves saying retard almost as much as you. every time this thread starts to veer away from talking about conor or whoever we've exhaustively covered you have to steer it back to this boring bullshit because it's seemingly the only thing you've been paying attention to

:prepop:

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

interesting...

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

lol

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ace of Baes posted:

lmao of course there’s a subreddit dedicated to this bullshit