Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RillAkBea posted:

Ugh, that was utter tripe.

That episode was fun as hell and what Build Divers should've been from the start instead of the Break Decal storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Darth Walrus posted:

it brings back stuff like his time playing football with the leg reflector. Visual storytelling through mechanical design is spotty enough in Gundam that it deserves some credit when it shows up.

Riku barely seemed to care about playing football and only be doing it for the sake of it. That'd make far more sense for Momo than for Riku.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
This show is at it's strongest when it's just about the gang executing a strategy. That's the best use of the team gimmick and the fact that there's no intra-team drama.

It's not tremendously exciting, but it's entertaining and works a lot better than some kinda game-ending mega threat nonsense.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

This show is at it's strongest when it's just about the gang executing a strategy. That's the best use of the team gimmick and the fact that there's no intra-team drama.

It's not tremendously exciting, but it's entertaining and works a lot better than some kinda game-ending mega threat nonsense.

I was actually half-expecting the "third arrow" to be slamming the shuttle into the core unit.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, I actually really enjoyed this episode. It was well-animated, had neat choreography(the extremely brief 00 Sky vs Mermaid was sweet as hell), had a great core concept, and most importantly let everyone on the team participate in a meaningful and useful way that highlighted their personalities and talents. The cast is EXTREMELY bland taken individually, but when they're all working together and executing a plan they have a lot of life and character to them that doesn't normally come out. For example, Momo as a character has done almost nothing individually but when she's cheering everyone on and making drat the torpedoes modifications to their plan on the fly because of a spur of the moment impulse she's great.

As an aside, I guess one positive side effect of the Mass Diver stuff is that it actually makes a lot of sense for the high rankers to be seriously interested in Riku and friends.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Okay the 00 Sky just embracing the absolutely mary-sue it is makes it cool and good now imo.
Wings of Light + Trans-AM is so dumb but also makes sense with some kiddo playing a videogame wanting to stack all the powerups.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zedd posted:

Okay the 00 Sky just embracing the absolutely mary-sue it is makes it cool and good now imo.
Wings of Light + Trans-AM is so dumb but also makes sense with some kiddo playing a videogame wanting to stack all the powerups.

I mean, do remember that Gundam Breaker was a Build subfranchise spin-off. Riku is just embracing the proper mindset.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

tsob posted:

Riku barely seemed to care about playing football and only be doing it for the sake of it. That'd make far more sense for Momo than for Riku.

Agreed. Riku was supposed to be fairly good at football, which is why Momo wanted to recruit him for the soccer club, but he didn't especially care or seem excited about it.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh man, this week's episode was a ton of fun. It's pretty good when they have a clear objective and can all work together to completing it, I was actually excited to see them win.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Taintrunner posted:

Oh man, this week's episode was a ton of fun. It's pretty good when they have a clear objective and can all work together to completing it, I was actually excited to see them win.

Something I really loved was the reveal of they physically built a 1/144-scale shuttle. It tells you all you need to know about how they shaved off so much time, and why it's legitimately something other teams might not even think of.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
So many aquattms that will never see HG releases for. A truly bittersweet ep for sure. Fingers crossed they just do weird challenge missions for the rest of the show. And keep the lovely plot in these 20 second post ep scenes.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Did you guys see the outtakes that didn't make it into the show? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqFJJyAVx-Q&t=12s

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was actually half-expecting the "third arrow" to be slamming the shuttle into the core unit.

I was fully expecting that, especially after they went to the trouble of showing the shuttle backing away from the exploding bad guy so it was still in perfect condition

Zedd posted:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

They both make excellent points. :hmmyes:

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!
Was destinys wings that powerful? I remember it got that F-91 after image. But most of the power seemed to come from the hands. Until it got styled on by team anime Jesus.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I have the feeling the source for this might be is something wonderful or horrifying.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 10, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sazabi posted:

Was destinys wings that powerful? I remember it got that F-91 after image. But most of the power seemed to come from the hands. Until it got styled on by team anime Jesus.

They gave it camouflage and super-speed. So, pretty useful.

Caros
May 14, 2008

RillAkBea posted:

Ugh, that was utter tripe. I'm really sick and tired of Riku being the most special boy in the nexus.

Once again the best parts of the episode are all Momo, Koichi and Ayame are wasted, and Yukki barely exists.

It says a lot that this is the first gundam since age that I'm not looking forward to.

Build fighters, IBO, even G-reco for all I disliked it, I watched them pretty much as soon as they aired, and anticipated them week to week. I can't even be assed to watch this for a few days unless a particular episode seems slightly less drab.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Caros posted:

It says a lot that this is the first gundam since age that I'm not looking forward to.

Build fighters, IBO, even G-reco for all I disliked it, I watched them pretty much as soon as they aired, and anticipated them week to week. I can't even be assed to watch this for a few days unless a particular episode seems significantly more crab.

Fixed

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They both make excellent points. :hmmyes:

The red shoulders mean it wins, because it has the greatest Abnormal Survivor as a pilot, but it'll explode anyway, because it has Chirico as a pilot.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Zedd posted:

Hell if I was playing gunpla battle you best believe I'd cram my gunpla with all the gimmicks I could muster. I'd give my gundam a gn-drive, wings of light, the exam system, funnels, the whole deal. I'd see if I could throw on the akatsuki's reflective coating to boot.

Play to win people!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monaghan posted:

Hell if I was playing gunpla battle you best believe I'd cram my gunpla with all the gimmicks I could muster. I'd give my gundam a gn-drive, wings of light, the exam system, funnels, the whole deal. I'd see if I could throw on the akatsuki's reflective coating to boot.

Play to win people!

Too complicated. I'd add as many bits and funnels as I could until my MS just being on screen dropped the game to 5 frames per second

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I am torn between wanting a Tallgeese with wings vernier boosters of light and not wanting to mess with perfection.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Monaghan posted:

Play to win people!

Why stop at Gundam? Put googly Sasuke sharingan eyes on all the funnels. Give your gunpla Nidalee hair so it can go super-sayian-god-hypermode-instict. Add a mouth so it can eat the bubblegum devil fruit like Luffy or whatever in the backstory. Come on no wrong answers, no anime is off limits. DG cells? In. Actual Cell cells? In. Sacred Jewel shard? Put in two just in case one gets shattered. Powered by Getter rays? Add in the Mazinkaiser juice too. Give it the caster gun from Outlaw Star. Now this is gunpla battles.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

La Vie en Crab, hell yeah.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Personally I'd do all that but also do all that to my funnels, too

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Funnels are for losers (excluding the Nu gundam).

bingsu
Aug 10, 2017

chumbler posted:

Excuse me, police? I'd like to report some HERESY

Caros
May 14, 2008

chumbler posted:

And the Lupus Rex tail thing.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
I did something like this on the MAHQ forums maybe 10 years ago, and they all laughed at my wanting to have multiple gimmicks on one gundam.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

AtheistMantis posted:

I did something like this on the MAHQ forums maybe 10 years ago, and they all laughed at my wanting to have multiple gimmicks on one gundam.

We'll see who's laughing when you make it to the tournament finals with your "Destiny Gundam Absolute Victory" with your customer Trans-Exam Zero-Infinity system. While the brought what. A purple astray. You got this in the bag.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Using the idea that the more gimmicks you slap on, the higher the required build quality, I'd imagine the Trans-Exam-Zero-Infinity System gunpla would need to be hand-machined out of real life gundarium alloy and have actual moving parts to not instantly combust upon launch in-game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kanos posted:

Using the idea that the more gimmicks you slap on, the higher the required build quality, I'd imagine the Trans-Exam-Zero-Infinity System gunpla would need to be hand-machined out of real life gundarium alloy and have actual moving parts to not instantly combust upon launch in-game.

"So what do you think of my new Gunpla, Sarah?"

*Sarah collapses on the ground, convulsing and foaming at the mouth*

"... That bad, huh?"

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Hmm..an improvement, I guess, new episode was fun, but I don't see that the Divers had any business beating the raid ahead of the more established players. No one else thought of beam-spamming the minefield? Like we've seen dozens of times in Gundam shows?

Also said "gently caress off" out loud last week when Riki's generic rear end was called "one of a kind".

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I think the main thing that put the Divers ahead of the other groups was the custom-built shuttle. It makes sense that no one else would've tried that since building such a thing presumably took a lot of time, effort, and was rather large. Especially if it's just to beat a single guild's challenge.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Potsticker posted:

I think the main thing that put the Divers ahead of the other groups was the custom-built shuttle. It makes sense that no one else would've tried that since building such a thing presumably took a lot of time, effort, and was rather large. Especially if it's just to beat a single guild's challenge.

The big reason no other team's managed it is because the ascent eats at least half the time limit. And that's shaving down the team size from 5 to 3 units for a faster shuttle. Any team could've cleared it, the problem was that nobody could figure out how to optimize the attempt to reach the Lotus Fortress, engage the defense team, and kill the core in the time limit. Building and customizing the shuttle itself is a massive job in 1/144-scale, and it's not surprising nobody else has even considered that angle.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

That's exactly what I was saying!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, the Divers managed to hit the sweet spot where the other pro teams had done the job of feeling out the basic structure of the challenge for them, but hadn’t yet put workable strategies into play. Team Avalon were interacting with that minefield like they were pretty unfamiliar with how it worked.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The Avalon dudes specifically talk about how Rommel's team failed 7 times but they were pretty sure a bunch of those were just intelligence gathering attempts, so the Build Divers basically snuck in and borrowed everyone's hard-earned intel to win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It was their own fault for streaming their world first attempts. :colbert:

• Locked thread