Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Concerned Citizen posted:

is there any scenario where court packing doesn't quickly descend into constitutional crisis levels of absurdity? like in order to do it, first you'd have to abolish the legislative filibuster (since the court size is set by law, not just precedent). then you'd probably be declaring nuclear option to remove all rules that allow the minority to obstruct. after that, you are just confirming as many justices as you can - literally hundreds - as there is absolutely no reason to not do that. and as soon as the gop gets a senate majority/wh combo again, they then do the exact same thing back. i don't see how it's a desirable or realistic path.

i mean it'd be funny, like watching your government become a complete trainwreck, but also would not be funny because it'd be hosed up and somehow even more dysfunctional.

the republic is dead dude, dont worry about breaking it further

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

i think the objective here is to ensure that the GOP never gets back into power. its what they've been doing for decades, just much faster

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

is there any scenario where court packing doesn't quickly descend into constitutional crisis levels of absurdity? like in order to do it, first you'd have to abolish the legislative filibuster (since the court size is set by law, not just precedent). then you'd probably be declaring nuclear option to remove all rules that allow the minority to obstruct. after that, you are just confirming as many justices as you can - literally hundreds - as there is absolutely no reason to not do that. and as soon as the gop gets a senate majority/wh combo again, they then do the exact same thing back. i don't see how it's a desirable or realistic path.

i mean it'd be funny, like watching your government become a complete trainwreck, but also would not be funny because it'd be hosed up and somehow even more dysfunctional.

it would mean changing from a system where one party can win a decades-long veto on legislation through sheer luck to a system where unified control of the Senate and the executive also means control of the courts, which I don’t think is actually a huge disaster

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

is there any scenario where court packing doesn't quickly descend into constitutional crisis levels of absurdity?

unlike right now, which is perfectly fine

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Zoran posted:

it would mean changing from a system where one party can win a decades-long veto on legislation through sheer luck to a system where unified control of the Senate and the executive also means control of the courts, which I don’t think is actually a huge disaster

Lol it wasn't luck

Serf
May 5, 2011

i am screaming death

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i don't see how it's a desirable or realistic path.

"I don't see how it will make me lots of money, so why bother doing it?" - the lanyard thought process at its finest

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Zoran posted:

How dare my enemies constantly win over and over and get their way , and even when my team has been in control they just support my enemy's policies with nicer language

This is intolerable

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Serf posted:

i think the objective here is to ensure that the GOP never gets back into power. its what they've been doing for decades, just much faster

What if my objective is to guillotine the current crop of democrats?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq_Fm7qfRQk

Serf
May 5, 2011

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

What if my objective is to guillotine the current crop of democrats?

we'll call that phase 2

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

as soon as the gop gets a senate majority/wh combo again, they then do the exact same thing back. i don't see how it's a desirable or realistic path.

the point is that you're not going to lose anymore if you're actually good at politics

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The underlying idea of this is that with Citizens United, gerrymandering, and voter suppression (all enabled by this court) America is no longer ruled with the consent of the governed. Therefore it is necessary to replace or overturn this court that has failed its constitutional duty to guard our democratic norms.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

capitalism is incompatible with democracy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
like the entire project of the Republicans has been to be in power permanently. They even thought they had it with Reagan going into HW Bush

The point of politics is to win, all the time. You don't plan on what happens when the pendulum swings back the other way, you run the table so that it never does

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

WampaLord posted:

They brought it back with new gays.

Ted is looking real tired on Chopped

Serf
May 5, 2011

Feldegast42 posted:

The underlying idea of this is that with Citizens United, gerrymandering, and voter suppression (all enabled by this court) America is no longer ruled with the consent of the governed. Therefore it is necessary to replace or overturn this court that has failed its constitutional duty to guard our democratic norms.

insane as it may be to say, this is accurate

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Don't worry dude its not gonna happen. Your gravy train is safe.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

like the entire project of the Republicans has been to be in power permanently. They even thought they had it with Reagan going into HW Bush

The point of politics is to win, all the time. You don't plan on what happens when the pendulum swings back the other way, you run the table so that it never does

You can basically lump Clinton in there and consider it an unbroken run from 1980 to the humongous financial crash. Then realize that Obama was operating identicallty to W. And trying to cut social security and whatnot and well, here we are

40 straight years of republican policies. What did Clinton and Obama even accomplish ? Ending welfare and implementing a 1990s wealth transfer to insurance companies? Wow guys it sure is important that their party be in power forever

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

gradenko_2000 posted:

the point is that you're not going to lose anymore if you're actually good at politics

I feel like even if you were "good at politics" you still wouldn't a mechanism that would allow knee-jerk changes like that to be rapidly implemented lest your political rivals, or death eaters, or whatever do the same thing to you as soon as they get into power.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I feel like even if you were "good at politics" you still wouldn't a mechanism that would allow knee-jerk changes like that to be rapidly implemented lest your political rivals, or death eaters, or whatever do the same thing to you as soon as they get into power.

lol leaving weapons on the table for the republicans to use against you is the strategy that's been so successful these past 20 years

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Al! posted:

lol leaving weapons on the table for the republicans to use against you is the strategy that's been so successful these past 20 years

Nah, I'm saying you remove the weapons (after you use them).

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

mastershakeman posted:

You can basically lump Clinton in there and consider it an unbroken run from 1980 to the humongous financial crash. Then realize that Obama was operating identicallty to W. And trying to cut social security and whatnot and well, here we are

40 straight years of republican policies. What did Clinton and Obama even accomplish ? Ending welfare and implementing a 1990s wealth transfer to insurance companies? Wow guys it sure is important that their party be in power forever

longer than 40 years, carter ran as a conservative and ford is enough of a footnote to ignore if he was conservative or not

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

- pack the courts w hundreds of new judges/justices

- get courts to issue rulings concentrating into the judiciary power normally reserved to the legislature and executive and h*ck power normally reserved to the amendment process

- courts use that power to make themselves a parliament w the circuit appeals courts acting as regional administrative parliaments

- madisonian system finally abolished

- schedule parliamentary elections

bing bong binch

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Controlled opposition party ran by industry lobby

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

is there any scenario where court packing doesn't quickly descend into constitutional crisis levels of absurdity?

we're already at constitutional crisis levels of absurdity. the only question is whether we're willing to admit it

and the problem isn't just the Congressional GOP. even the Court itself is shredding its own legitimacy. contradictory opinions where the only consistent legal principle is "the conservatives always win". stomping on centuries of constitutional precedent. openly signaling their intention to overrule fundamental civil rights decisions. ruling on things that the Supreme Court is Constitutionally prohibited from ruling on. and now a justice colluding with the administration to decide his successor in exchange for retiring at the most politically advantageous time? face it - McConnell isn't the only cat turning the Court into a litterbox

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Counterpoint: Consolidate federal legalcenters

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Realistically, if anyone's gonna pack the court, it's gonna be Trump handing out Supreme Court seats like candy once he finds out he (theoretically) can.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

docbeard posted:

Realistically, if anyone's gonna pack the court, it's gonna be Trump handing out Supreme Court seats like candy once he finds out he (theoretically) can.

unless he hands out 200m seats or so, you can always pack the court with more supreme court justices to counteract who he stuffs into the courts.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Pack the court with every single person in the us

Actual democracy
Jobs guarantee
Reasonable jurisprudance

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the republicans already packed the court when they stole the garland seat and denying that isn't going to change that fact

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Shear Modulus posted:

the republicans already packed the court when they stole the garland seat and denying that isn't going to change that fact

thats the subtly distinct stacking of the court

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

we're already at constitutional crisis levels of absurdity. the only question is whether we're willing to admit it

and the problem isn't just the Congressional GOP. even the Court itself is shredding its own legitimacy. contradictory opinions where the only consistent legal principle is "the conservatives always win". stomping on centuries of constitutional precedent. openly signaling their intention to overrule fundamental civil rights decisions. ruling on things that the Supreme Court is Constitutionally prohibited from ruling on. and now a justice colluding with the administration to decide his successor in exchange for retiring at the most politically advantageous time? face it - McConnell isn't the only cat turning the Court into a litterbox

what'd they rule on that the court isn't allowed to

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Squizzle posted:

tired: packing

wired: stacking

nah
Mar 16, 2009

why aren't the republicans trying to pack the courts

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

nah posted:

they already did

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Squizzle posted:

stack the court as high as possible

then bring out the slammer

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Gorsuch is just payback for souter. A lineup of Rehnquist, bork, Scalia, Thomas and either Kennedy or O'Connor should have existed since the early 90s

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

nah posted:

5-4 is just as good as 1,000-4

Also they're totally putting scores of Federalist Society endorsed judges at every level of the courts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/WSJRealEstate/status/999684007192420353

• Locked thread