Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Toshimo posted:

FWIW, Kate Bishop is a menace.

She stole Pizza Dog.

Who does that?

Boomerang arrow.

It comes back in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I think it was Deadpool/Hawkeye that had the really nice bit where Deadpool, unlike virtually every other superhero, is actually considerate enough to remember that Clint can't read his lips through a full-face mask, so he lifts the mask when talking to him.

My wife adored that sequence, because she reads lips, and it's amazing how often people forget that if they're not looking at her when they talk to her, she can't understand them.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He's kind of inconsistent with it.

[Hawkeye vs Deadpool]

But you're right that he does do better than most.

[Amazing Spider-Man Annual v3 # 1]

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ghostlight posted:

He's kind of inconsistent with it.

[Hawkeye vs Deadpool]

But you're right that he does do better than most.

[Amazing Spider-Man Annual v3 # 1]

When did he become totally deaf?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kate is the best.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

prefect posted:

When did he become totally deaf?

In Fraction's Hawkeye some hitman for the Tracksuit Mafia sneaks up on him and stabs his loving ears with arrows.

Like a lot of disabilities in comics, it tends to come and go depending on when writers remember it.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jul 10, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TwoPair posted:

In Fraction's Hawkeye some hitman for the Tracksuit Mafia sneaks up on him and stabs his loving ears with arrows.

Like a lot of disabilities in comics, it tends to come and go depending on when writers remember it.

I loved the Russian mafia. They all wore the same Adidas track suits and always called everyone “Bro”.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I forgot how good Hawkeye/Deadpool was, and you didn't even post the face panels.

I'm going to recommend Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force for someone who doesn't read a lot of comics.

I read that once based on the same suggestion, but I'd warn that there is going to be a lot of stuff they will not get. To this day I still don't know what's the deal with Angel/Archangel and Apocalypse and what's up with the Age of Apocalypse, which I thought was made up for the story but I guess not?

I just pushed forward and ranked everything that I didn't understand as "Typical X-Men Timeline/Dimension Fuckery" but still.

Great story tho.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Samuringa posted:

I read that once based on the same suggestion, but I'd warn that there is going to be a lot of stuff they will not get. To this day I still don't know what's the deal with Angel/Archangel and Apocalypse

Angel was one of the original X-men. At some point Apocalypse decided that Angel would be good Horseman of the Apocalypse material. He kidnapped him, brainwashed him, turned his feather wings into metal, turned him blue and augmented his powers. Archangel eventually broke free of the brainwashing, but has had a massive hate boner for A-poc ever since.

quote:

and what's up with the Age of Apocalypse,

Age of Apocalypse was an event in the 90s. Short version, Professor X's kid Legion blamed Magneto for all the bad things that happened to Charles since they first met. In an attempt to "fix" this, Legion goes back in time to when Eric and Charles were friends and attempts to kill Magneto. But, because Charles is a good guy (sorta), he jumps in the way and takes the hit instead, killing him and creating a parallel timeline. As a result, Legion erases himself from that timeline, and Magneto takes up Charles' mission of peace. Apocalypse, noticing a power vacuum, sees the opportunity to take over the world and makes his play. AoA details the mission to set things back to "normal"

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CzarChasm posted:

Angel was one of the original X-men. At some point Apocalypse decided that Angel would be good Horseman of the Apocalypse material. He kidnapped him, brainwashed him, turned his feather wings into metal, turned him blue and augmented his powers. Archangel eventually broke free of the brainwashing, but has had a massive hate boner for A-poc ever since.
Small correction, but he didn't really turn his feather wings metal, as they had been amputated at that point. Apocalypse offered to restore them, and gave him the metal wings.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Also, the Age of Apocalypse was so drastic that Marvel relaunched every single X-title for four months, with two one-shots (X-Men: Alpha and X-Men: Omega) as bookends. It was pretty wild.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Endless Mike posted:

Small correction, but he didn't really turn his feather wings metal, as they had been amputated at that point. Apocalypse offered to restore them, and gave him the metal wings.

They had been amputated because he was attacked by the Reavers, an anti-mutant terrorist group who were eventually revealed to be working for... Apocalypse. Well, the Reavers only damaged the wings, they were amputated as part of a plot by his old college buddy, Cameron Hodge, who provided the seed money for the elaborate scam that was X-Factor, but turned out to also be an anti-mutant extremist with a grudge.

Comic books!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Begemot posted:

They had been amputated because he was attacked by the Reavers, an anti-mutant terrorist group who were eventually revealed to be working for... Apocalypse. Well, the Reavers only damaged the wings, they were amputated as part of a plot by his old college buddy, Cameron Hodge, who provided the seed money for the elaborate scam that was X-Factor, but turned out to also be an anti-mutant extremist with a grudge.

Comic books!

I was going to offer a minor correction to this but I realized that 80s X-books are such a tangled hairball of subplots that I'm not even sure I was right.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I think it was Deadpool/Hawkeye that had the really nice bit where Deadpool, unlike virtually every other superhero, is actually considerate enough to remember that Clint can't read his lips through a full-face mask, so he lifts the mask when talking to him.

My wife adored that sequence, because she reads lips, and it's amazing how often people forget that if they're not looking at her when they talk to her, she can't understand them.

I read through it last night, yes it does. I don't remember how consistent it was after this, though.

E: They also had a two page splash where Agent Preston in the LMD explains that she knows sign language.

darthbob88 fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jul 10, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

CzarChasm posted:

Age of Apocalypse was an event in the 90s. Short version, Professor X's kid Legion blamed Magneto for all the bad things that happened to Charles since they first met. In an attempt to "fix" this, Legion goes back in time to when Eric and Charles were friends and attempts to kill Magneto. But, because Charles is a good guy (sorta), he jumps in the way and takes the hit instead, killing him and creating a parallel timeline. As a result, Legion erases himself from that timeline, and Magneto takes up Charles' mission of peace. Apocalypse, noticing a power vacuum, sees the opportunity to take over the world and makes his play. AoA details the mission to set things back to "normal"

Endless Mike posted:

Begemot posted:

Comic books!

In short

Samuringa posted:

"Typical X-Men Timeline/Dimension Fuckery"

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Begemot posted:

Comic books!

Close! His wings were damaged by the Marauders who worked for Mister Sinister during the Mutant Massacre event. Sinister was later revealed to have worked with Apocalypse in the past but was, as of the time of the Mutant Massacre, a free agent. The bit with Cameron Hodge is correct, and the metal winged Archangel eventually cut off Hodge's head because of it. (Hodge got better.)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
For a very sad and vague definition of better, honestly. The arc of Cameron Hodge is one of those escalations that is quintessentially cape comics.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

Begemot posted:

Comic books!

jng2058 posted:

Close! His wings were damaged by the Marauders who worked for Mister Sinister during the Mutant Massacre event. Sinister was later revealed to have worked with Apocalypse in the past but was, as of the time of the Mutant Massacre, a free agent. The bit with Cameron Hodge is correct, and the metal winged Archangel eventually cut off Hodge's head because of it. (Hodge got better.)

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jul 10, 2018

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

jng2058 posted:

How soon after was it revealed that Sinister was clone souping the reavers anyway? Because at the time, them driving Colossus to kill one of them was a huge character development for him.

Not a funny panel, outside of Riptide's face and that he's menacing a scrub named Harpoon but:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.
This subforum must've been a compilation of Kate Bishop avatars when the series first came out, huh?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Comics!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Seriously one of the best panels ever

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

In the first panel I was trying to figure out if those were supposed to be sparkles or pain stars (or, if you're Kurt Vonnegut, assholes), but then I realized they were supposed to be a cloud of actual shuriken that Riptide is throwing. (And why does the spinny wind guy have a water name?)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

site posted:

Now that I'm at a desktop I can post why:

also, here's the Tracksuit Bronsons

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Begemot posted:

Comic books!

It was the Marauders, not the Reavers. I think Harpoon and Sabretooth did the damage to his wings, then hung him like a butterfly specimen in the sewers. They were working for Mister Sinister by way of Apocalypse (?) and somehow Gambit was retroactively involved in the shadows....

The Reavers were the cyborg group on the Australian desert that eventually crucified a Wolverine.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Selachian posted:

In the first panel I was trying to figure out if those were supposed to be sparkles or pain stars (or, if you're Kurt Vonnegut, assholes), but then I realized they were supposed to be a cloud of actual shuriken that Riptide is throwing. (And why does the spinny wind guy have a water name?)

Not a drat thing about Riptide makes sense. It's just one of those things you shrug and accept.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Selachian posted:

How did the shurikens pierce Colossus' skin? Were they thrown that fast?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Colossus: A man whose body gets transposed with the Metal Dimension
Cyclops: A man whose eyes are a portal to the Punch Dimension

loving hell, who writes this poo poo?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

site posted:

It so perfectly captures the emotion it's meant to. It makes me laugh every time.

jng2058 posted:

"Got better" as in returned as a herald of the Phalanx? Or was that later?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

davidspackage posted:

It so perfectly captures the emotion it's meant to. It makes me laugh every time.

He was some weird techno monstrosity with a head in Xtinction Agenda.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Toshimo posted:

Someone whose writing lacks dimension :xd:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

GPTribefan posted:

It was the Marauders, not the Reavers. I think Harpoon and Sabretooth did the damage to his wings, then hung him like a butterfly specimen in the sewers. They were working for Mister Sinister by way of Apocalypse (?) and somehow Gambit was retroactively involved in the shadows....

The Reavers were the cyborg group on the Australian desert that eventually crucified a Wolverine.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

davidspackage posted:

That was later. First he was a regular cyborg, then just a head with legs for a while.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Toshimo posted:

I mean, there's good chance it was noted Marvel Heroes crybaby Comixfan.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Begemot posted:

That was later. First he was a regular cyborg, then just a head with legs for a while.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Samuringa posted:

This subforum must've been a compilation of Kate Bishop avatars when the series first came out, huh?

Not a single one...

..but it's not too late.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

The Marauders are the absolute worst. Mutant Massacre is a real black mark on that run, just pointless grimdarkness while guys like Scalphunter and Harpoon take centre stage, with their only motivation for like a year of issues being, "we're really evil and hate mutants, and also, a shadowy figure with ambiguous motivations hired us to do this".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I like this new gimmick of responding with Kate panels