Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FiestaDePantalones posted:

So I got the sx pro in the mail today, and I wanna load up my switch with lakka so I can play some gamecube and GBA games, but I don't want to get banned for multiplayer splatoon. I have no interest in cheating or playing from backups at this point in time. What are the chances of getting banned with just SX OS and Lakka?

Lakka is safe and isn't even done through sx (other than the jig I guess). Just keep your switch in flight mode while running anything through sx os (even backups) and you should be absolutely fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

ProjektorBoy posted:

FWIW I've had my Wii U for like 2 years, and I've been running an external 2.5" 500GB hard drive off a Y-cable from the rear ports without issue.

http://a.co/axkpsft

I had one of those and while it helped 99% of the time, Paper Mario Color Splash would keep crashing on me. I had to get the cable that was micro USB with two ends on it linked earlier in the thread to get it to stop crashing.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Just keep your switch in flight mode while running anything through sx os (even backups) and you should be absolutely fine

I'm not convinced this statement is entirely true for the Switch. There's growing suspicion that Nintendo checks the system error logs on occasion and deems the presence of custom errors, the overabundance of normal errors, or the absence of all errors as banworthy criteria.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, I couldn't imagine owning a Switch now and modding it. I'm looking forward to ten years from now when Nintendo couldn't give less of a poo poo about the system (which is how the Wii currently is) and then I'll be modding the hell out of it. :toot:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Just buy another one if you really want an emulation machine that bad.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

https://twitter.com/SciresM/status/1016724847504736256

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

American McGay posted:

Just buy another one if you really want an emulation machine that bad.

300 bucks for an emulation machine with early emulator support seems a little silly. 3DS seems like a better value for a portable emulation machine at the moment.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

SeANMcBAY posted:

300 bucks for an emulation machine with early emulator support seems a little silly. 3DS seems like a better value for a portable emulation machine at the moment.

Or a snes/nes classic if you don't care about it having it's own screen

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Ohtsam posted:

Or a snes/nes classic

Or a Wii U if we’re talking console. A hacked Wii U can play GameCube, Wii and of course Wii U games natively. Then you also have all the VC games and emulators between vWii and Wii U.

I’d love to hack my Switch and add emulators but it defeats the purpose for me if I can’t have them along with all my legit functionality.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Switch is the first nintendo portable that I spend the majority of my time online with. If I cant play Fortnite, Paladins, Splatoon, Mario Kart, etc, I'll be pissed.

Plus, with NESFlix coming up and their new online functionality, it seems like a big risk to hack your switch right now

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
i got tired of waiting and updated my switch so I could buy Lumines and there really arent many more good games I dont have anyway

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Man, I couldn't imagine owning a Switch now and modding it. I'm looking forward to ten years from now when Nintendo couldn't give less of a poo poo about the system (which is how the Wii currently is) and then I'll be modding the hell out of it. :toot:

You better hope there's switches manufactured in 2017 still around and sold in ten years, then. Nintendo is pretty on the ball with vulnerabilities and exploits this time (probably due to the debacle that was the 3DS) and even the guy who develops the current Switch CFW atmosphere is very pessimistic for any good software exploits at version >5.0. They also cranked up the telemetry to insane levels in versions 5 and up, just to immediately know when something slips through their cracks, probably.

The reason why the switch is so wide open right now is a NVidia hardware fault, the software side is pretty remarkably thought out this time around. And as of today, we've already got reports coming in of people buying new switches where said hardware Recovery Mode exploit no longer works. The switch also sells pretty well, so by the end of summer, all mainstream stock of switches could be replaced by the hardware fixed revision.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Whatever Nintendo does, I’m sure people will find a way to break open all Switches ten years from now.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

SeANMcBAY posted:

Whatever Nintendo does, I’m sure people will find a way to break open all Switches ten years from now.

I think they are just now hacking the DSi

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Whatever bag you store your Switch in, it's pretty much guaranteed has enough space for a $50 old 3DS as well which you can mod to your heart's content.

That portably gives you, roughly, NES, SNES, Genesis, some MAME, GB(C), GBA, DS, 3DS and Switch, with a few of the classic N64 games having either DS or 3DS versions. Surely that's enough gaming goodness?! Hack a Wii U for home and you basically get the remaining stragglers at least from earlier generations. Add a PSTV and a PS3 and that's pretty much everything that isn't PS4 or Xbox One.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, but does anyone care about the DSi? People care about the DS and flashcarts got made. People care about the 3DS and exploits were found. People care about the switch and will find new things to do.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, but does anyone care about the DSi? People care about the DS and flashcarts got made. People care about the 3DS and exploits were found. People care about the switch and will find new things to do.

They cared enough to get a custom firmware up and running and also I guess DSiMenu++ runs on it so some DS games can be played from a sd card without needing a flashcart for your DSi. DSiMenu++ also lets you use blocked flashcards again on the DSi.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 10, 2018

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I like the DSi the matte finish is real nice and it's sturdier than the DS Lite

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DSi XL has amazing screens

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

it's DS gaming's ambrosia

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I think they're too small for SNES games but I'm super weird like that.

Edit: oh DSi not 3ds. Point still stands.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Color Printer posted:

How come if I do Nintendont through USB Loader GX it resets the entire wii when i hit the home button instead of bringing me back to the loader/nintendont/anything

That's a setting you can change in GX. My home button just takes me back to GX. Dunno what you're talking about for GameCube games being formatted differently or whatever.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

They need to hurry up with EmuNANDs because Smash is coming out at the end of the year and I'm updating for that day one regardless if my Switch is hacked or not. I need Smash just as much as I need my Switch running ROMs.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Yep. They're all dual ips

And the speakers are loving awesome

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Is a basic 3DS still worth it as an emulation/homebrew machine, or is it noticeably worse or missing some significant features compared to newer models?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Forktoss posted:

Is a basic 3DS still worth it as an emulation/homebrew machine, or is it noticeably worse or missing some significant features compared to newer models?

New 3DS can run SNES games perfectly

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Is a vanilla 3DS still serviceable for SNES emulation or is it as bad as the DS?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm not sure but New 3DS has a perfect Nintendo made SNES emulator (or something like that) built in to play the SNES games it officially released on the eShop. It's super simple to install any other SNES game on top of those. The bigger/better screens also make SNES and GBA games (which you can install similarly) look amazing

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Forktoss posted:

Is a vanilla 3DS still serviceable for SNES emulation or is it as bad as the DS?

It's pretty drat good with SNES9X. I think there may be a few minor issues off-hand but at least for the vast majority of games it works great.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is the current best bet for adding a button combo to bring up the home screen and some roms to the NES and SNES classic? I just want to add some more games and be able to get to the menu without standing up like a moron, I dont need external hard drives and copies of quake running on it.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What is the current best bet for adding a button combo to bring up the home screen and some roms to the NES and SNES classic? I just want to add some more games and be able to get to the menu without standing up like a moron, I dont need external hard drives and copies of quake running on it.

latest version of Hakchi I'd imagine.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Lord Frisk posted:

That's a setting you can change in GX. My home button just takes me back to GX. Dunno what you're talking about for GameCube games being formatted differently or whatever.

yo this is useful information and something i am going to do as soon as I get home. Thank you friend.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I'm not sure but New 3DS has a perfect Nintendo made SNES emulator (or something like that) built in to play the SNES games it officially released on the eShop. It's super simple to install any other SNES game on top of those. The bigger/better screens also make SNES and GBA games (which you can install similarly) look amazing

What is the process for injecting those roms on 3DS? I haven't gotten around to it on the Wii U because it's more involved than I would like

Also unrelated to Nintendo homebrew, but what is the state of 3DS emulation on PC these days?

Shadow225 fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 11, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

yo this is useful information and something i am going to do as soon as I get home. Thank you friend.

I want to do this as well, but I have to figure out what the hell is going on with my USB loader Gx and Nintendont installations. I have the apps and roms installed on an SD card, and a few GC games on my larger USB stick. I assume I should first have the USBLGX channel/forwarder installed, for convenience, and then go and figure out how to properly launch a Gamecube game from it, without it separately loading up the Nintendont UI.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I want to do this as well, but I have to figure out what the hell is going on with my USB loader Gx and Nintendont installations. I have the apps and roms installed on an SD card, and a few GC games on my larger USB stick. I assume I should first have the USBLGX channel/forwarder installed, for convenience, and then go and figure out how to properly launch a Gamecube game from it, without it separately loading up the Nintendont UI.

There is a toggle in USB Loader GX that lets you launch GCN games (through Nintendont) in the GX client. I forget where it is, but I can PM you the video that I used to get it all installed if you'd like.
Fun fact: you can use a Wii U Pro Controller for said GCN games, but the button mapping is a little weird. I need to see if I can use a Wii U Pro controller instead of a Wii Mote for Wii games somewhere in the options.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Shadow225 posted:

There is a toggle in USB Loader GX that lets you launch GCN games (through Nintendont) in the GX client. I forget where it is, but I can PM you the video that I used to get it all installed if you'd like.
Fun fact: you can use a Wii U Pro Controller for said GCN games, but the button mapping is a little weird. I need to see if I can use a Wii U Pro controller instead of a Wii Mote for Wii games somewhere in the options.

I'd love a PM, thanks so much.

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

New 3DS can run SNES games perfectly

"""perfectly"""

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Hakchi2 main build now has all the features from the other forks, just go with that. Automatically does everything you need. https://github.com/ClusterM/hakchi2/releases

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I hope the DSi hacks can eventually be accessed without having prior DSi Shop software installed. I only recently got one to enjoy some DS classics and would eventually like to have access to Four Swords Adventure on it.

Seems you need Flipnote Studio to access it without soldering, or failing that one of a few other DSi Shop titles for the hardmod.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
What's the best source for a wiiu at this point? Ebay?

And if there's already switch revisions that fix the hardware exploit does it make sense to pick up a switch now if you only care about cfw??

Having a larger portable with cfw would be pretty rad, love having it on my xl.. I use the battery percent checker all the time and don't get why Nintendo didn't put that in system ui

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Probably GameStop or online. Nintendo themselves sell refurbished ones but they’re out at the moment. They’ll probably have a few more later.

Edit: I was talking about Wii Us.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 12, 2018