Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m trying to choose between a Fumoto valve and a magnetic bolt for my next oil change. My friend who drives near to poo poo cars swears by magnetic bolts, but I’ve never noticed any metal to worry about.

It’s a Camry Hybrid with a 2AZ-FXE, so aluminum block but ferrous pistons and rings from what I can see.

What does this thread think? Fumoto valves are so convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I feel like if you're dealing with an engine where the magnetic plug actually does anything, you have problems.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Yeah once something is showing, it's already hosed.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Fair enough. This guy seriously keeps cars running past when they should, so I see it for him.

I’ll get a Fumoto.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Is the Fumoto valve really worth it to save you ten seconds (probably offset by the extra time it takes for the oil to drain) per oil change?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I don't have direct experience with them but I see the appeal. No tool, quick, no mess when the drain plug drops into your pan. I don't really see it as a time saver, more just convenience.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I like it on the WJ because it prevents a lot of splashing that I'd get when removing the drain plug, which makes a bigger mess there because it's lifted.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bajaha posted:

I don't have direct experience with them but I see the appeal. No tool, quick, no mess when the drain plug drops into your pan. I don't really see it as a time saver, more just convenience.

I personally see it as something else to go wrong, but I can see why it would appeal.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I like it on the WJ because it prevents a lot of splashing that I'd get when removing the drain plug, which makes a bigger mess there because it's lifted.

They really make a lot more sense when you have a lifted vehicle or are draining oil with your car on a lift. My TJ is just high enough that I can drain into a typical 5 gallon bucket, but I've dropped the plug in before. Get a magnetic pickup tool, reaching into hot oil for a drain plug is no fun.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

GWBBQ posted:

Is the Fumoto valve really worth it to save you ten seconds (probably offset by the extra time it takes for the oil to drain) per oil change?

Yes. I've got one for each car's oil pan, and another on the Jeep's radiator. It takes no noticeable extra time to drain, and when I'm doing a change on the jeep the only tool I need is the 24mm socket (which stays on the 5/8 ratchet anyway) for the filter cover. I can do an oil change in 90 seconds plus fresh-oil-pour-time, from the second I turn the light on in the garage.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 9, 2018

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Is there any way to rent a Kei car for a day or so? I've been pining for one for years. Considering that I barely fit into my rebadged Mazda familia cabriolet, I need to find out if I can even fit into my dream cars before I start earnestly squirreling money away for one

GWBBQ posted:

My old FIAT and its recessed Allen wrench plug was the only car that "needed" one IMO. I still put them on all of my cars for the sake of convenience, but their utility actually being worth the price is a bit of a stretch

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Door Frame posted:

Is there any way to rent a Kei car for a day or so? I've been pining for one for years. Considering that I barely fit into my rebadged Mazda familia cabriolet, I need to find out if I can even fit into my dream cars before I start earnestly squirreling money away for one

I suggest looking for an owners club and seeing if one of them is willing to accommodate.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Also I'm a big guy (1m95cm) and I've driven a couple of kei cars. Not comfortably though.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

The Door Frame posted:

My old FIAT and its recessed Allen wrench plug was the only car that "needed" one IMO. I still put them on all of my cars for the sake of convenience, but their utility actually being worth the price is a bit of a stretch

It depends entirely on whatever kei car you are looking at. Various trucks and vans have pretty strict height requirements, Honda Beats are pretty well-known for being quite comfortable for taller people, Suzuki Cappuccino being the next best and if you are over 5'10" and weigh north of 200 lbs you will hate the AZ-1 if you can even fit.
I'm waiting to take delivery of an AZ-1 this week to see what it's like. For reference I'm 5'10" and weigh about 155 lbs, and the Acty van I drove for a while fit me perfect, any taller and I'd have been uncomfortable. I expect the AZ-1 to be pretty similar.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

KakerMix posted:

It depends entirely on whatever kei car you are looking at. Various trucks and vans have pretty strict height requirements, Honda Beats are pretty well-known for being quite comfortable for taller people, Suzuki Cappuccino being the next best and if you are over 5'10" and weigh north of 200 lbs you will hate the AZ-1 if you can even fit.
I'm waiting to take delivery of an AZ-1 this week to see what it's like. For reference I'm 5'10" and weigh about 155 lbs, and the Acty van I drove for a while fit me perfect, any taller and I'd have been uncomfortable. I expect the AZ-1 to be pretty similar.

I'm really hoping for a Mighty Boy, but there's worse things in the world than having to own a Cappuccino

E: comfort is pretty relative. I don't care much about comfort, more about being able to turn the wheel and not bashing my head into the headliner when I hit a pothole

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Kei?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kei+car

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Stupid questions about automotive coolant. 2007 Corolla and 2009 Elantra, in case it matters:
  • Can I use 99.6% distilled water instead of de-ionized water from the auto parts store to mix in with my coolant concentrate? Asking because there's a local water filtration store that sells distilled water for 17 cents per litre, which is stupid cheap compared to the deionized water from the local parts store.
  • How long does an opened container of coolant (1 pre-mixed, 1 concentrate) last after being opened? I have two bottles that I opened November 2016 and stored in the garage (live in Canada, so we get weather extremes).

\/ Alright cool man. Thanks.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 10, 2018

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

melon cat posted:

Stupid questions about automotive coolant. 2007 Corolla and 2009 Elantra, in case it matters:
  • Can I use 99.6% distilled water instead of de-ionized water from the auto parts store to mix in with my coolant concentrate? Asking because there's a local water filtration store thast sells distilled water for 17 cents per litre, which is stupid cheap compared to the deionized water from the local parts store.
  • How long does an opened container of coolant (1 pre-mixed, 1 concentrate) last after being opened? I have two bottles that I opened November 2016 and stored in the garage (live in Canada, so we get weather extremes).
Distilled water is fine, and I'd use those without worry as long as they look and smell the same.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

melon cat posted:

• Can I use 99.6% distilled water instead of de-ionized water from the auto parts store to mix in with my coolant concentrate? Asking because there's a local water filtration store that sells distilled water for 17 cents per litre, which is stupid cheap compared to the deionized water from the local parts store.

\/ Alright cool man. Thanks.

There is no difference between distilled and deionized water, from a practical standpoint. Distilling is just a method for removing the ions from water, so distilled is deionized.

In either case, it makes no difference in your engine. The metal ions that form lime scale in your cooling system come from the slow corrosion of the metal itself. The few ions you introduce from the water are irrelevant.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

The Door Frame posted:

Mitsubishi i-MiEV is a U.S. electric Kei Car you can grab used for like $6000 https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Mitsubishi-i-MiEV-d2166#listing=209875440

Though, it is also the absolute weakest power/range of any US highway legal electric car. My electric Smart Fortwo beats it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Deteriorata posted:

There is no difference between distilled and deionized water, from a practical standpoint. Distilling is just a method for removing the ions from water, so distilled is deionized.

In either case, it makes no difference in your engine. The metal ions that form lime scale in your cooling system come from the slow corrosion of the metal itself. The few ions you introduce from the water are irrelevant.

This last bit is true re "deionized" vs "distilled", but don't go putting tap water in your engine. Calcium and magnesium ions (which are what make hard water... hard) do bad poo poo with standard coolant formulations, and don't really have sources in the engine itself.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I have no clue how to drive turbo engines for fuel economy.

In my NB Miata, it was easy: keep the ECU in closed loop by staying under 4K RPM. In my Mustang, it had a factory air/fuel gauge so I got a feeling for what conditions would make the engine run at stoich ratio, and what would run rich.

I'm in a Fiesta with the 3cyl right now, and I don't know whether I want to run lower RPM and higher boost, or higher RPM and lower boost for fuel economy. Given that it's a 1 liter engine, staying entirely out of boost is hard. The shift light seems to be guiding me to low RPM and lots of boost, and I think its rated peak torque number (148?) is at 2500RPM.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Follow the shift light for best fuel economy. AFAIK the EPA test guidelines say that you follow any indicators on a manual transmission religiously, so those lights are specifically tuned to get the best result with no regard for performance.

I don't know how it goes on the SFE with the 5 speed, but on the ST the shift light is almost nonsensical in that it tells you to shift 4>5 at 41 MPH and 5>6 at 42 MPH. It's basically as if they really meant "just go 4>6 and skip 5 altogether" but weren't willing to put that in the manual.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

wolrah posted:

I don't know how it goes on the SFE with the 5 speed, but on the ST the shift light is almost nonsensical in that it tells you to shift 4>5 at 41 MPH and 5>6 at 42 MPH. It's basically as if they really meant "just go 4>6 and skip 5 altogether" but weren't willing to put that in the manual.

I guarantee you on a slow enough acceleration curve it makes a measurable difference to do that 41-42 jump in 5th. Not noticable in everyday use, but measurable.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Counterpoint: when I follow the upshift light on my car (Saturn Ion), I wind up lugging the poo poo out of the engine (it wants me in 5th at 35 mph, which has me at just above idle). It also destroys my fuel economy. Driving my own way, I manage 23-25 city; following the light, it drops into the high teens.

Obviously not a turbo engine, but that light annoys me more than anything, because it's just so useless in my case. Though I had to laugh when it came on in reverse once (was doing FWD [reverse] donuts in the snow in an empty parking lot).

I've only been able to manage EPA numbers once in this car, and 3 or 4 times in the old car (same model), and those were 100% highway tanks. The gearing is just too tall for the engine, IMO.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Enourmo posted:

This last bit is true re "deionized" vs "distilled", but don't go putting tap water in your engine. Calcium and magnesium ions (which are what make hard water... hard) do bad poo poo with standard coolant formulations, and don't really have sources in the engine itself.

Sorry, that's bullshit. Unless your water is so hard you plug up a coffee maker in one use, the calcium and magnesium ions are at a low enough concentration to make no difference whatever.

The lime scale forms from iron and aluminum ions gradually dissolved into the coolant. The calcium and magnesium precipitate out, too, but it will make a total of a few milligrams of scale itself. Everything else is from the engine.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've been feeding my leaky cooling system tap water for a while now so this discussion worries me deeply.

I'm pretty sure we have non-hard water here, though.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
2010 Malibu 2.4. Changed the oil on Friday and drove it about 6 miles on Sunday with no issues. Come Monday morning I drive 20 miles to work and light smoke is coming from the hood as I park. I went back out at lunch and found significant oil under the car which had dripped/leaked from mid to high up on the engine as it was smoking on the engine that morning.

I went home Monday night and rechecked everything for my oil change and everything looked normal. I drove it to work again today and had oil leaking during work and got home and had oil leaking after work. I have been adding oil as I go to make sure it doesn’t run low. About 1 quart has leaked in 48 hours.

Any idea where is coming from? It doesn’t leak in one spot, but leaks and splatters as if it’s coming from all over the engine. The cardboard undr the car today had a two foot length of oil splatters. Could it be leaking from the oil cap? I took off the plastic engine cover today and did not notice anything significant underneath.

28,500 Miles, so it’s young in use. Help me, goons.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Check your oil filter cap. I'm betting you either didn't get it on all the way, or the o-ring on the cap is cracked.

e: if you didn't do the oil change yourself, the oil filter lives under a plastic cap, kinda tucked under the intake manifold. This isn't from the Malibu, but the placement is similar (you'll need the plastic engine cover off to really see it).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 11, 2018

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Javid posted:

I've been feeding my leaky cooling system tap water for a while now so this discussion worries me deeply.

I'm pretty sure we have non-hard water here, though.

I've been using tap water for forty years; since 2000 in my Bonneville (Iron block). Yet to see a problem.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

STR posted:

Check your oil filter cap. I'm betting you either didn't get it on all the way, or the o-ring on the cap is cracked.

e: if you didn't do the oil change yourself, the oil filter lives under a plastic cap, kinda tucked under the intake manifold. This isn't from the Malibu, but the placement is similar (you'll need the plastic engine cover off to really see it).

Thanks. My friend and I checked that again yesterday and couldn’t find any issues with it. I did change it myself. How tight does it have to be? I’ve changed it two times previously without any issues, so I assume what I’m doing is fine.

If the ring isn’t cracked could it just be defective? I’ve never purchased this filter before. Just generic Napa.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PainterofCrap posted:

I've been using tap water for forty years; since 2000 in my Bonneville (Iron block). Yet to see a problem.

At some point it adds up. My 62 Lark had serious scale in the radiator, to the point that it would overheat on a 10 minute drive. Some vinegar in the radiator fixed the problem, though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

PainterofCrap posted:

I wouldn't do this for cars that you like, there's too much that can get weird with specific coolants that you're using and what the block and head are made out of.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

For anybody cruising the thread later, this is bad advice and should not be followed. Just FYI.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

For anybody cruising the thread later, this is bad advice and should not be followed. Just FYI.

No, it's fine as advice. There's no physical way tap water can make any meaningful difference whatsoever. The benefits of distilled water are all in your mind.

Go ahead and use distilled if you want to. Use tap water if you want to. It literally does not matter.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's fine, mineral content doesn't change water conductivity, electrolysis rates, and doesn't leave any residue. That's why showerheads that use tap water never get any build-up, ever. There's also zero chance that anything in tap water could ever react poorly with anything. I also use plain tap water when doing chemistry.

E: it looks like you've had this fight before, in this very thread, with me and others. So I'll just let you be you.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 11, 2018

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

I only fill my radiator with concentrated urine from when I'm severely dehydrated.

It color-matches dex-cool, so it should be good to go.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I used this example before, but:

You could under- or over-inflate your tires for 40 years and not have a blowout. But you still wouldn't recommend people do that, would you? (Special circumstances aside.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Twerk from Home posted:

I only fill my radiator with concentrated urine from when I'm severely dehydrated.

It color-matches dex-cool, so it should be good to go.

My VW uses pink coolant. What does one need to drink so their urine can be used in a VW?