Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Some oval office from my town killed a guy and hospitalized his kid when he was doing 80+ in a 25 and passed in oncoming traffic. His car flipped 6 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

In the past week in my area, a drunk guy crossed the road onto the sidewalk in broad daylight, hitting a mother and her 2 kids, the 1-year-old kid died.

Also some loving scumfuck crossed the grass median on a highway and plowed into a minivan, killing the dad and all 4 daughters and leaving the mom in critical condition :(

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A friend got nailed head-on by a wrong way drunk driver on I-5 a couple weeks ago; her and her kid lived but two passengers died. He's looking at a maximum of 4 years which is lol, as this will be his SEVENTH goddamned DUI. Our laws seem to not have been written in the same reality we live in as he somehow was able to get a license after DUIs 1 through 6.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That's loving awful. I'd hold the state liable at that point as well.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

um excuse me posted:

That's loving awful. I'd hold the state liable at that point as well.

Yeah. It is a combination of funding and delivering results. Prosecutor makes deals.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Don't forget, when dealing with the US justice system being wealthy and white means you can avoid real punishment for all but the most heinous of crimes.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Javid posted:

A friend got nailed head-on by a wrong way drunk driver on I-5 a couple weeks ago; her and her kid lived but two passengers died. He's looking at a maximum of 4 years which is lol, as this will be his SEVENTH goddamned DUI. Our laws seem to not have been written in the same reality we live in as he somehow was able to get a license after DUIs 1 through 6.

gently caress that noise, I wish after a second or third DUI that these assholes would be permanently on house arrest and never be able to drive again. Get caught driving after a third offense? Jail for life with no option for parole, ever.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nah, jails are too expensive. Put an ankle bracelet on them and any time they're detected moving faster than 10 mph charge them $500.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Also some loving scumfuck crossed the grass median on a highway and plowed into a minivan, killing the dad and all 4 daughters and leaving the mom in critical condition :(

jesus loving christ

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Javid posted:

I remember when this happened, jesus christ. Condolences to your friend's friends.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

Nah, jails are too expensive. Put an ankle bracelet on them and any time they're detected moving faster than 10 mph charge them $500.

a very expensive bus pass

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

a very expensive bus pass
Not if they went by average speed.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s not hard to bike faster than that.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Platystemon posted:

It is if you drink a bottle of whiskey a day.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Here's what I don't get.

A DUI conviction is (afaik) among the offenses that can bar you from ever buying a gun (and if it isn't it should be because wtf). We as a society have decided people who do certain things can't be trusted with dangerous devices anymore. Cool.

But the same motherfucker can go get a hardship license and drive to a liquor store and buy alcohol, and legally possess the same exact combination of stupidity that got him in trouble the first time. Like can't we maybe do something about that? How can you have -six- DUIs and even be free, much less licensed to drive AGAIN? Like at what point can somebody just not be trusted with a car no matter how much their life is gonna suck without it?

:argh:

Platystemon posted:

There are a number of "walk for charity" type apps that explcitly support riding a bike, but poo poo themselves if you break like 8 mph. I think a lot of people don't really grasp how fast even an average person can get going on a bike.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I got up to 20 mph on a MOUNTAIN bike today (with a bit of a tail wind, I found out). It's not hard at all.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Maker Of Shoes posted:

yeah i'm not disagreeing and him doing something is leagues better than what it usually is which is nothing. still, made laugh.

I'd suggest hand signals, but today's drivers will just think you're flipping them off and probably road rage you into a ditch.

FWIW, a friend who couldn't afford a lawyer got hammered by an "excessive DUI" (he, uh, had it coming.. he blew a 0.41 at 10am). Then got hit with another DUI. He got locked up for almost a year, and lost his locksmith license (though that's partly related to the whole "I wound up homeless, so I used skillz to B&E and steal purses while people were sleeping, then got popped for using stolen credit cards at hotels" :fuckoff:)

I've known this dude for 21 years. I don't want to ever share a road with him. Sucks that his career got ruined, but uh.... using your training to B&E and steal poo poo is far beyond any line that should be crossed. I've distanced myself from him considerably; he just got out a few days ago and started calling me to see if he could stay with me. My apartment is wall to wall boxes, I've already given away my couch and bed, and I'm rocking an air mattress until I move. If that's not enough reason, Hell Nope. I've known him a long time, but I can't say I trust him at all anymore.

(also, never B&E into your parent's neighbor's house, especially when your employer installed their cameras... and especially don't get a hotel in your own name using stolen credit cards, WTF MAN)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 11, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Javid posted:

Here's what I don't get.

A DUI conviction is (afaik) among the offenses that can bar you from ever buying a gun (and if it isn't it should be because wtf). We as a society have decided people who do certain things can't be trusted with dangerous devices anymore. Cool.

But the same motherfucker can go get a hardship license and drive to a liquor store and buy alcohol, and legally possess the same exact combination of stupidity that got him in trouble the first time. Like can't we maybe do something about that? How can you have -six- DUIs and even be free, much less licensed to drive AGAIN? Like at what point can somebody just not be trusted with a car no matter how much their life is gonna suck without it?

:argh:

There are a number of "walk for charity" type apps that explcitly support riding a bike, but poo poo themselves if you break like 8 mph. I think a lot of people don't really grasp how fast even an average person can get going on a bike.

Nobody ever mentions if the driver even had a license anymore.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Nobody ever mentions if the driver even had a license anymore.

I'd bet he didn't, if he did he would have had an interlock right?

I worked with a guy who had like 3 DUI's and had to have an interlock for 10 years. He was big into motorcycles but couldn't ride his because they can't fit them with interlocks. He was super psyched when his 10 years was up and he got to ride his bike again. 3 months later he got another DUI on his bike.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 11, 2018

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

STR posted:

I'd suggest hand signals, but today's drivers will just think you're flipping them off and probably road rage you into a ditch.

FWIW, a friend who couldn't afford a lawyer got hammered by an "excessive DUI" (he, uh, had it coming.. he blew a 0.41 at 10am).

Isn't 0.4 basically an "you are likely to die" level of intoxication? How do you even operate a car at that point?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'd bet he didn't, if he did he would have had an interlock right?

I worked with a guy who had like 3 DUI's and had to have an interlock for 10 years. He was big into motorcycles but couldn't ride his because they can't fit them with interlocks. He was super psyched when his 10 years was up and he got to ride his bike again. 3 months later he got another DUI on his bike.

And interlocks aren’t cheap, there is a whole racket associated with them. The type of guy on 6 DUIs is probably not one for following the rules.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

PT6A posted:

Isn't 0.4 basically an "you are likely to die" level of intoxication? How do you even operate a car at that point?

Not if you've built up a tolerance. There are recorded cases of people with a BAC over 1%, who were still somehow able to operate motor vehicles.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I remember stopping at a liquor store after work. It was winter, somewhat cold out, probably around mid 20s or so...winter jacket weather. Was waiting in line.

In walks a guy that is wearing a huge puffy parka that made him look like some Michelin Man from hell.

Anyways, he bought a case of beer and stowed it between his legs on his scooter. Probably was cold by the time he made it home.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

KozmoNaut posted:

Not if you've built up a tolerance. There are recorded cases of people with a BAC over 1%, who were still somehow able to operate motor vehicles.

Holy hell. You must shake like a loving paint mixer coming off that.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, I have no idea how it's even possible to exist at that level of intoxication. Even something as basic as the breathing reflex must be sketchy at that point.

I've found around 0.05% to be a nice gentle buzz, perfect for maintaining through a BBQ, concert or festival day without feeling like utter poo poo the day after. Around 0.1% for letting loose a bit, and as it starts to get to 0.2% that's where I draw the line because it just stops being fun at that point. I think I've only ever been above that once or twice, and it wasn't very fun.

(Estimates based on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content and how I felt at the times in question)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jul 11, 2018

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

What the hell is a BBQ concert?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
The sound of sizzling meat, piped through a huge Marshall stack.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

What the hell is a BBQ concert?

Sheesh, you forget one comma... :rolleye:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

PT6A posted:

I owned a breathalyzer and it's amazing what alcohol tolerance can do. I could walk and talk at .36 like 5 years ago and there were people that didn't feel alcohol and showed no signs at all at at .3.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The problem with DUI's in the states is that we have a very poor relationship with alcohol kinda stemming from lack luster education of it (drink to get hammered for whatever reason vs. drinking lightly/moderately because its delicious) and the consequence side (aside from death) of it created a system that's designed to keep you in it vs REeducation of healthy alcohol habits. I don't have a solution but I know the answer isn't anything we're doing now.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Also the lack of meaningful public transportation in most areas combined with sprawling suburban environments means that living a remotely normal life and working most jobs is effectively impossible without the ability to get around by car.

This also means that suspending licenses isn't very effective, people tend to drive anyways because they don't feel they have a choice.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Then they should just be in prison if they don't have the ability to comply with the law.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
yes, that is clearly the solution. :hmmyes:

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Throw them under the wheels of their own cars, Hammurabi-style.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Colostomy Bag posted:

The beauty of this clip is the driver handing over the footage would be self-incriminating (although clearly at fault and could be proven by common means).

The dump truck driver seems to go into reverse just seconds before the initial crash.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Or every other commercial is a beer/alcohol ad and heavily promoted.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Grim Up North posted:

The dump truck driver seems to go into reverse just seconds before the initial crash.

I'll stand corrected when I'm wrong.

Except I can't stand in that country because I'll get plowed over.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Colostomy Bag posted:

Or every other commercial is a beer/alcohol ad and heavily promoted.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF1E5ZO8Lug

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

iospace posted:

I got up to 20 mph on a MOUNTAIN bike today (with a bit of a tail wind, I found out). It's not hard at all.

I've hit 30mph in a flat out sprint and can maintain 13-15mph on a mountain bike on pavement. 30 on a bike lacking the geometry for that speed is not fun, btw.

So, yeah, bikes haul a lot more rear end than people realize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Maker Of Shoes posted:

yes, that is clearly the solution. :hmmyes:

This but unironically.

If they can be rehabilitated of their alcoholism or kept from driving via other means, great, but if locking them up is the only way to keep them off the road, so be it.