Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

the internet is having a preemptive poo poo fit about octopath traveller reviews right now, whether or not you can legitimately review it without finishing all 8 stories. jason schreier of kotaku contends that because you see the credits after finishing the first story you can review it then

one of the guys who screamed at jason schreier about it is a guy who spends every day tweeting about how angry he is that falcom is stubbornly rejecting the switch by not immediately porting all of their new games to it the moment it launched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Are there any games made by a solo dev that are good? It seems like 2 is the magic number.

Does Vambleer work alone?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

tap my mountain posted:

Are there any games made by a solo dev that are good? It seems like 2 is the magic number.

RHEM

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

tap my mountain posted:

do Cave Story, Undertale, and/or Iconoclasts count

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Andrast posted:

I think bloodstained felt fine when I tried it

Same.

There's some bugginess with movement that's been pointed out over and over but nothing that couldn't be fixed.

Though I did enjoy that the Katana dash attack just loving teleports you if you use it on the edge of an platform because it's super broken.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Really Pants posted:

do Cave Story, Undertale, and/or Iconoclasts count

Undertale def doesn't but Cave Story is the one I should have thought of

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

tap my mountain posted:

vambleer is two guys. I think the original la mulana was one guy?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Andrast posted:

I think bloodstained felt fine when I tried it

i guess i'd agree with that. it seems like a perfectly bog-standard, boilerplate, mediocre castlevania carbon copy indie game. except that it's coming off one of the most successful video game kickstarters of all time with literally 100x the budget hollow knight had. i was hoping for something a bit more impressive than "perfectly competent blandness".

also the fact that they thought it was a good use of resources to have every single line of hideously bad dialogue voice acted with 150% emotional intensity, especially the loud moans of pain the main character lets out every time she gets a new ability, was really loving dire

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

La Mulana was like three guys, you could find and talk to them in the game

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurai makes the Smash games all by himself

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

tap my mountain posted:

Stardew Valley
Papers Please
Rollercoaster Tychoon
Tetris

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Creeper World series is mostly one guy, too.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm ok with bloodstained because curse of the moon was a really good game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Help Im Alive posted:

Sakurai makes the Smash games all by himself

Hey! This is completely untrue!

His wife designed the UIs. Sakurai does everything, but that!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The Colonel posted:

i'm ok with bloodstained because curse of the moon was a really good game

curse of the moon was very good i'll happily agree to that

al-azad
May 28, 2009

So Octopath Traveler is the new SaGa Frontier? Because "review the game at the first credits screen" is taking me back to '97.

tap my mountain posted:

You'll have to define some restrictions because even "solo" devs get assistance, just like very few manga (at least the syndicated stuff) are truly solo works. Stardew Valley and Papers, Please were largely one person, same with basically every roguelike that wasn't built off open source.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I saw a preview for Death's Gambit and it looked great with some amazing music as far as 2D Soulstroidvanias go, but I've seen zero hype over it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I'd be cool if someone would make a true ripoff of Metroid, since Nintendo seems determined to never make another one.

they made one last year.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Why is there no JoustFightmania genre?
See, I took ballon fight and joust and combine them to come up with that name.

Anyway, when is Nintendo going to realize Balloon Trip is one of the greatest experiences in video gaming?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Why is there no JoustFightmania genre?
See, I took ballon fight and joust and combine them to come up with that name.

Anyway, when is Nintendo going to realize Balloon Trip is one of the greatest experiences in video gaming?

they did once, play balloon fight gbc

or balloon kid, but that's the same game without color

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

the kickstartered castlevania demo has a permanent minimap in the upper corner of the screen as well as an automap you can bring up and it feels like utter hog piss compared to hollow knight so you've got that to look forward to i guess

it feels a lot like order of ecclesia

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

al-azad posted:

So Octopath Traveler is the new SaGa Frontier? Because "review the game at the first credits screen" is taking me back to '97.

as far as i know it doesnt have any of the complex systems that make saga interesting ,sadly

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

or balloon kid, but that's the same game without color

They also put a mode of it in Nintendoland, though nobody played that.

I could never beat that stupid Donkey Kong game.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was hoping octopath traveler would be like a 30 hour game after playign the demo but the idea of playing that game for 60+ hours seems tremendously exhausting.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i could go with an uglier, clumsier order of ecclesia with ubiquitous bad voice acting, yeah

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i could go with an uglier, clumsier order of ecclesia with ubiquitous bad voice acting, yeah

That sounds great

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Phantasium posted:

They also put a mode of it in Nintendoland, though nobody played that.

I could never beat that stupid Donkey Kong game.

I beat it and then it said there will be more of the Donkey Kong game and I don't think they ever was more.

The Colonel posted:

Okie dokie

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

In Training posted:

I was hoping octopath traveler would be like a 30 hour game after playign the demo but the idea of playing that game for 60+ hours seems tremendously exhausting.

I think you could make it that way if you only did half of the character's quests. You could pick a party of your four favorites and leave the rest.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can just turn the VA off.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Balloon Fight is nothing but a dull Joust clone :colbert:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

homeless snail posted:

the internet is having a preemptive poo poo fit about octopath traveller reviews right now, whether or not you can legitimately review it without finishing all 8 stories. jason schreier of kotaku contends that because you see the credits after finishing the first story you can review it then

What if they did this for Nier lol

I don't think it matters in Octopaths case though, I doubt the paths have any major divergences.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

glam rock hamhock posted:

Balloon Fight is nothing but a dull Joust clone :colbert:

It has good music and Balloon Trip is fun

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

You can just turn the VA off.

that’s what i did, but i want to make it clear i thought it was very, very bad

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

that’s what i did, but i want to make it clear i thought it was very, very bad

I turn VA off in everything that lets me button through dialogue, so, I hear ya.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The new backer demo felt even more like a follow-up to Ecclesia, so honestly if you think its bad the Metroidvania style Castlevanias just aren't for you, because Bloodstained feels just like them to me as a fan of those games.

I also think none of the indie Metroidvanias have been as great as the genre namesakes. I liked stuff like Guacamelee and Pirate's Curse, but none of them measure up to how much I loved Metroid and Castlevania.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 10, 2018

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i liked all the metroidvania castlevanias and order of ecclesia is my favorite of the ds ones so i don’t think that’s true. also hollow knight is the best metroidvania i’ve ever played.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Hollow Knight kicks rear end.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Really Pants posted:

The Creeper World series is mostly one guy, too.
more people gotta talk about creeper world

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
shantae is more of a monster world iv than a castlevania or a metroid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
If someone tries to review Sonic Adventure 1 but they only play through it with Sonic then their review is invalid and they are probably a narc.

Sonic Heroes though I wouldn't hold anybody to that same line of thought though.

• Locked thread