Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phobophilia posted:

this ep of the mountain climbing show looks rough as hell, but apparently it was all done by a single animator

not sure that is the greatest idea from a production standpoint

i liked it. it looked rougher, but it wasn't any less bouncy or expressive than the show's historically been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
considering the animator culture around yamasusu and who it was (china) it was probably intentional and exciting for them

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also - I believe the Sakugablog guy said that ep was solo key animated - but my understanding is that that still implies that there were other animators doing in-between frames so it's not like it was one person drawing literally every frame of the episode. I could be wrong there, tho.

Anyhow I thought it looked nice enough. Kind of melty but in a way that felt like a deliberate choice made in the name of greater expressiveness.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
that's the implication yea. if it's a solo work you can also see dual credits for episode director and key animation

http://www.pelleas.net/aniTOP/index.php/the_solo

this is a nice writeup though its 10 years old so they don't include enishi ooshima's Gochiusa Episode 4

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Yama no Susume is the kind of show that can get away with a little wonkiness in the animation (for another example, see Hidamari Sketch S1.) What's always offputting when I first start it is the voice acting, which sounds more like a box of kittens than it does people talking.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I wish the voices all were the level of Kaede's in being reasonable and realistic. I'm super picky but I know the industry so I shut up :v:

If I had a clip of whichever Godzilla year 20XX film it was that in the dub had a clearly adult woman doing a lowest effort voice for a little girl in a scene I'd embed it for a laugh.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Did not expect Lupin to be the anime to be calling out the CIA for its bullshit or IT companies in 2018 but am super glad its doing it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Did not expect Lupin to be the anime to be calling out the CIA for its bullshit or IT companies in 2018 but am super glad its doing it

New seasons of old anime are doing a lot of that. GGGNK has had some seriously sharp social commentary.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

New seasons of old anime are doing a lot of that. GGGNK has had some seriously sharp social commentary.

Precure is also dunking on capitalists too which is great

SatoshiMiwa fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 10, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

shinya tensai bakebon is so obviously riding the coattails of osomatsu its painful. most jokes are recycled from it (with the exception of one copying norio wakamoto's legendary performance as a vacuum cleaner in nyaruko) and its just an endless series of references with little to them

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Special 1-ep review: Props to Jashin-chan Dropkick for stunning me so much that I watched through the end of the episode instead of turning it off after a few minutes. It took me longer than it should have to figure this out, but it's basically a cheaper knock-off of Gabriel DropOut in every way. The music, the jokes, the animation and visual quality, hell even the title of the series. Combine all that with absolutely garbage slice-of-edgy-life comedy and I just couldn't help but want to watch to the end to see how bad it would get.

Unfortunately, nothing really happens. It is just simply bad.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
2012 series Jashin-chan Dropkick is just completely facelifted from Gabriel Dropout (2013), next show pls

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
lol

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so azazel-san but cuter?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
man i gotta catch up on lupin

first arc had bitcoin drug dealers, second arc had a rw politician running false flag bombings, and a non-offensive gay couple

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm gonna take this picture with me next time I go to the barber.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Space Flower posted:

2012 series Jashin-chan Dropkick is just completely facelifted from Gabriel Dropout (2013), next show pls

ok, change "cheaper knockoff" to "was improved upon in every conceivable way" and my post still stands!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm gonna take this picture with me next time I go to the barber.

There’s some powerful shonen hair in that show. Like, of course the guy called Arashi has a giant yellow lightning-bolt sticking out of his ‘do. I also like that the bad guys went for the most entertaining potential meaning of ‘Death Metal Empire’.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

ok, change "cheaper knockoff" to "was improved upon in every conceivable way" and my post still stands!

Nah, still wrong. Jyashin Dropkick is basically a gag manga while Gabriel Dropout is more of a comedy moe series.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
GabeDrop is a fine comparison, I just disagree with all the parts where Anaconda implied it was a bad thing. I'd also call out that you might like this show if you want more Renkin Sankyuu Magical Pokaan or Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan.

Jashin-chan's main dynamic: the title char is a Wile E. Coyote baka demon from hell with the lower half of a cobra who wants to kill the girl who summoned her to Earth but gets owned repeatedly. Her summoner is a gothic lolita who mostly wants to chill out and eat hotpot but has a sadistic streak that comes out in response to Jashin's antics

I like the animation a lot, it's often cartoony and plays into how the supporting cast have designs like they came out of the early 00s, and they get creative with the dumb slapstick stuff. Also, the cuts get really detailed when it comes to gothloli lead Yurine and her sadistic faces. Which is very good.

What reminds me most about what I liked of GabeDrop is that the main pair have a murder-rivalry but they still enjoy each other's company. Yurine is a frowny introvert who acts indifferent but is mindful of everyone in her own way and loves her friends. Very good first ep, would recommend

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Jul 11, 2018

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Me and a friend were talking about Zoids like a month ago and how much we loved it in middle school so a new show out of the blue just threw me for a loop. The animation/CGI looks really good so I'm definitely going to follow it for old-times sake!

Beyond that there were only a couple of shows from last season that I watched so I'm glad this season looks super promising so far.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Phobophilia posted:

this ep of the mountain climbing show looks rough as hell, but apparently it was all done by a single animator

not sure that is the greatest idea from a production standpoint

Sakuga people love single-person episodes because they usually allow the individual personality of the animator to come through. From a production point of view it usually means fewer man-hours also.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i wont deny that some cuts look really nice, but in alot of others its just off model lip flaps

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Phobophilia posted:

man i gotta catch up on lupin

first arc had bitcoin drug dealers, second arc had a rw politician running false flag bombings, and a non-offensive gay couple

gently caress me for ignoring modern Lupin :psyduck:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ghosts n Gopniks posted:

gently caress me for ignoring modern Lupin :psyduck:

Also, one half of that couple is very heavily implied to be Lupin’s ex.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Also, one half of that couple is very heavily implied to be Lupin’s ex.

Not really. Ex-partner in crime, sure. Ex-boyfriend, lolno.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Not really. Ex-partner in crime, sure. Ex-boyfriend, lolno.

Their interplay is very much framed like the aftermath of a bad breakup, and then there’s stuff like Albert’s current boyfriend looking rather like a prettier version of Lupin (and Lupin noting that he ‘has a type’). You definitely missed some subtext there.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lupin the 3rd: Anime's premier power-bottom.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, I’m not sure it was a coincidence that the only time Fujiko showed up in that arc was when Lupin disguised himself as her to seduce a mark.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Darth Walrus posted:

Their interplay is very much framed like the aftermath of a bad breakup, and then there’s stuff like Albert’s current boyfriend looking rather like a prettier version of Lupin (and Lupin noting that he ‘has a type’). You definitely missed some subtext there.
I watched bits of this cause a friend brought it up and yeah you're dead on, its barely even subtext

There's been Lupin x Jigen subtext for years in Lupin too i think

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

I watched bits of this cause a friend brought it up and yeah you're dead on, its barely even subtext

There's been Lupin x Jigen subtext for years in Lupin too i think

That’s even joked about in the first arc, when they’re introduced to yaoi fangirls (because the bitcoin druglords doxxed them). Lupin, for the record, finds it hilarious.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 11, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Reading lupin as an womanizer who also forms romantic attachments to his lifelong cohorts is valid and I would say even, good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
goemon is volcel, do not bother him

Darth Walrus posted:

That’s even joked about in the first arc, when they’re introduced to yaoi fangirls (because the bitcoin druglords doxxed them). Lupin, for the record, finds it hilarious.
i gotta watch this show

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

imagine thinking lupin the third isn't bisexual

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Well it was a break up of sorts in that Albert used to be his partner in crime and then broke off. The levels of subtext here are at the levels that's joked about regarding Fujoshi and their hunting for subtext in practically anything. That's not to say Albert wasn't attracted to Lupin, but it wasn't mutual.

His attachments to men are platonic unless explicitly shown otherwise.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

an actual dog posted:

imagine thinking lupin the third isn't bisexual

Xelkelvos posted:

Well it was a break up of sorts in that Albert used to be his partner in crime and then broke off. The levels of subtext here are at the levels that's joked about regarding Fujoshi and their hunting for subtext in practically anything. That's not to say Albert wasn't attracted to Lupin, but it wasn't mutual.

Done.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Xelkelvos posted:

lupin loves loving men

sometimes women too

but also men

Albert is explictly gay and is framed as a mirror to lupin

Don't get me started on what a guy putting a cigarette into another mans mouth and lighting it for him means, something lupin, jigen and albert all do

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
French right-wingers running false-flag bombings sounds rather stupid, to be honest. It's not like they need to raise any more fear, actual terrorists have already done their job for them. On the other hand extremely even more homoerotic Lupin sounds very good.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

French right-wingers running false-flag bombings sounds rather stupid, to be honest. It's not like they need to raise any more fear, actual terrorists have already done their job for them. On the other hand extremely homoerotic Lupin sounds very good.

They don't actually do false flags, just intentionally fail to stop actual terrorists.

• Locked thread