Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

If someone tries to review Sonic Adventure 1 but they only play through it with Sonic then their review is invalid and they are probably a narc.

Sonic Heroes though I wouldn't hold anybody to that same line of thought though.

you can only review sonic heroes if you play once as team dark and once as team chaotix

team sonic and team amy are just team dark but worse, so who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

The Colonel posted:

shantae is more of a monster world iv than a castlevania or a metroid

It depends which one. The series has kind of varied how interconnected and explorable it's world is from game to game

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I'm actually cool with reviewers not finishing games so long as they are up front about how much they did play.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I loved Super Metroid a lot as a kid, and Symphony of the Night, but I would say that (for all my criticism) I liked Hollow Knight better. Just, Super Metroid and SOTN were both pretty new experiences for me, and for a lot of us--it's hard to top your first experience with a genre. There are a lot of games I remember liking as a kid that I just have no patience for now. I like QoL improvements, I am glad devs no longer feel chained to the arcade model of having "lives" for the most part (Mario!!! :argh:) and I feel almost spoiled by the amount of goodness modern gaming has to offer these days.

I mean there's still bad obviously. So much of it. All right there on the storefront. You know when Analogue came out I thought it was neat, VNs were something new to Steam. Then the panties started flooding in.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Relax Or DIE posted:

I'm actually cool with reviewers not finishing games so long as they are up front about how much they did play.

i'm glad you'll forgive me when i inevitably am not able to complete all of the 128 level long japanese ds puzzle game coropata

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Relax Or DIE posted:

I really don't think it's too much to ask for someone that is presumably being paid to play video games to actually finish the game.

I can see exceptions when the game is broken or just barely playable but saying "i would rather move on to other things now because this game is long" is kind of a poo poo excuse and really does make it kind of likely the review will end up being useless.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i'm glad you'll forgive me when i inevitably am not able to complete all of the 128 level long japanese ds puzzle game coropata
I am NOT looking forward to your review, on https://the.colonel.games

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

glam rock hamhock posted:

I really don't think it's too much to ask for someone that is presumably being paid to play video games to actually finish the game.

I can see exceptions when the game is broken or just barely playable but saying "i would rather move on to other things now because this game is long" is kind of a poo poo excuse and really does make it kind of likely the review will end up being useless.

See: any review of nier automata that ended at ending a.

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Oh I don't think you get good reviews this way, I'd just rather know up front that a review didn't bother to actually finish something long like a JRPG or something.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anyone who reviewed RE2 without beating both paths for both characters should've quit their jobs.

occamsnailfile posted:

I loved Super Metroid a lot as a kid, and Symphony of the Night, but I would say that (for all my criticism) I liked Hollow Knight better. Just, Super Metroid and SOTN were both pretty new experiences for me, and for a lot of us--it's hard to top your first experience with a genre. There are a lot of games I remember liking as a kid that I just have no patience for now. I like QoL improvements, I am glad devs no longer feel chained to the arcade model of having "lives" for the most part (Mario!!! :argh:) and I feel almost spoiled by the amount of goodness modern gaming has to offer these days.

I mean there's still bad obviously. So much of it. All right there on the storefront. You know when Analogue came out I thought it was neat, VNs were something new to Steam. Then the panties started flooding in.

Lives in Mario haven't really been a roadblock since SMB3. Odyssey does away with them completely.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

more people gotta talk about creeper world

they are the Citizen Kane of games where your foe is a large mass of fluid

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Lives in Mario haven't really been a roadblock since SMB3. Odyssey does away with them completely.

I don't think they're a roadblock, I was just annoyed that they kept including them well past the point of them being even sort of an interesting limitation. It's a quibble, it's not like I didn't play SMW through Galaxies happily either way.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its a good expectation but also a lot of these people aren't full time staff getting an hourly wage to play a 100 hour video game, a lotta freelancers are getting paid probably per word on their review. which I guess means they're being incentivized to write lovely reviews

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I heard the last third of Octopath turns into Bad Rats. It's literally just a port of Bad Rats. Don't let reviewers trick you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

al-azad posted:

Anyone who reviewed RE2 without beating both paths for both characters should've quit their jobs.

Well yeah, and that's like 10 hours long, tops. I assume that's what most reviewers did.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

How much do you think reviewers get paid to write a game review? Because whatever it is, I promise you, it’s not enough to make playing a 200 hour JRPG epic to completion a reasonable hourly wage.

Which is to say, there gotta be some limits and if a genius game auteur decides to hide the best parts of the game behind secret endings or third playthroughs, maybe the auteur is gonna have to be OK with a score that does not reflect the entirety of their work.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Saint Freak posted:

I heard the last third of Octopath turns into Bad Rats. It's literally just a port of Bad Rats. Don't let reviewers trick you.

It also poisoned our water supply, burned our crops and delivered a plague unto our houses!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It turned me into a newt!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If I was a freelance writer I wouldn't pick 100 hour JRPGs. But I guess beggars can';t be choosers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

doingitwrong posted:

How much do you think reviewers get paid to write a game review? Because whatever it is, I promise you, it’s not enough to make playing a 200 hour JRPG epic to completion a reasonable hourly wage.

Which is to say, there gotta be some limits and if a genius game auteur decides to hide the best parts of the game behind secret endings or third playthroughs, maybe the auteur is gonna have to be OK with a score that does not reflect the entirety of their work.
that reflects more poorly on the reviewer than the "auteur" lol

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

homeless snail posted:

that reflects more poorly on the reviewer than the "auteur" lol

Yeah, I get including some rewards for diehards but if the majority of the good content of the game isn't accessible to a normal player it's probably kind of a bad game.

Much like the way people try to sell me on MMOs by saying "the endgame is really fun"

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
There is also the problem that many times, game review copies don’t drop until just a few days before launch and generally people want to read the review at launch. So game reviewers are playing games in conditions matched only by the most obsessive fans. Marathon sessions of racing through the experience without access to the walkthroughs and guides the rest of us will have access to.

It’s a big part of why I am suspicious of reviews that complain about a game being repetitive. I will play the game spread out over weeks or months, interspersed with other activities and maybe other games. Repetition probably won’t be nearly as bothersome to me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

who else is gonna roll with the four ladies in octopath and never use the men

May 8, 2006

I considered it but unfortunately, Cyrus exists.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

oddium posted:

I am going to travel all octo paths

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

doingitwrong posted:

I don't like being the "but that's their job" guy...but that's their job. Like it's a dream job where you get paid to play video games but like every job ever it will have some downsides. If you want to be a professional video game critic then sometimes you have to slog through a long game you don't like. If you don't like it there are millions of people online that will do your job for free in a second. I understand the plight of workers and how people in industries like this will take advantage of you every which way they can and the public in general is extremely unreasonable but I also think it really is the bare minimum of the job to complete the game, even if it's longer than you would have liked.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I used the notes pages to write down passwords.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The real hosed up review environment is MP focused games where during the review period it's either off or a base of just other reviewers.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'm glad reviews are bad though because the only use reviews have anymore is to lol at ones that barely played the game and tried to extrapolate. genuinely reading reviews as purchasing advice in 2018 is lmao

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I enjoyed octopath for 3 hr demo so ill play it. Dats my review

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Wasn't there a thing a few years ago where EA or someone was setting Metacritic targets where the devs would miss out on bonuses if the game scored below 80

does that still happen

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly i dunno whether i consider my things as actual reviews or just highlights of old games i want more people to know about cause i'd rather focus on what's cool about them than on the negatives

probably the latter because that would make me feel less bad about talking about coropata when i'll probably only manage to get like 80 levels in before the end of the month due to the sheer amount of time it can take to solve puzzles. i can already only find like three people online who got like 20 levels into the game before giving up, and guides stop giving screenshot advice around level 40 so at this point i'm flying almost totally blind

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Help Im Alive posted:

Wasn't there a thing a few years ago where EA or someone was setting Metacritic targets where the devs would miss out on bonuses if the game scored below 80

does that still happen

It's only a justification for ripping off studios, they'd still run them into the ground without that policy

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Help Im Alive posted:

does that still happen

I know it happened to Obsidian for Fallout New Vegas

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

:lol:
"I weep for those that don't have my superior brain that truly gets why needing to buy a new map in every area is a good thing!"

Yeah, p much

oddium posted:

Watch this space for my MGTOW super cut of Octopath Traveler (the TACO path) where all female protagonists are ignored and some of the scenes have been reshot to better highlight the men’s accomplishments.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I've plugged my way through the Fighters Guild questline in Oblivion now. Most of the quests were dull and generic but it really picked up at the end there with the final two quests with the Blackwood Company. I especially loved the bit where after you kill everyone that annoying fuckwit who kept dropping his contracts shows up and you get to kill him too.

Now I've just got the Mages Guild, the final part of the main quest and all of Shimmering Isles. The end is in sight!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It's tuesday

hello

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Rarity posted:

I've plugged my way through the Fighters Guild questline in Oblivion now. Most of the quests were dull and generic but it really picked up at the end there with the final two quests with the Blackwood Company. I especially loved the bit where after you kill everyone that annoying fuckwit who kept dropping his contracts shows up and you get to kill him too.

Now I've just got the Mages Guild, the final part of the main quest and all of Shimmering Isles. The end is in sight!

Have you not even done the beginning of the Mages Guild? You'll be kicking yourself when you realize the reward for entering the Arcane University.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Since Lumines doesn't have a "take a break" warning I think I'm gonna need to set a pomodoro timer or something because this is like the fourth session where I have stopped playing and I ache all over.

For a game about being zen with the music I am completely tensed and fatigued after playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

TAKE FREQUENT BREAKS

• Locked thread