Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mega64 did an LP of that whole thing and it's loving magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017
I'm still waiting on a ff1 port. They've definitely never done one of those. What if they packaged it with a remake of the second game,which is also unported, as well?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Phantasium posted:

You meant "tragical" right

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Phantasium posted:

wait, that loving MQ port that looked like RPGmaker stuff?

linkkk

Mega64
May 23, 2008

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

wait, that loving MQ port that looked like RPGmaker stuff?

linkkk

Knock yourself out.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I'll be honest, I have no idea how you manage to put these up in such a steady pace.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Man XIII is doing everything it can to stop me from completing it. I'm on Chapter 12...

This game is hitting all the right buttons to make me stop playing. Enemies that are just damage sponges with huge healthpools or large packs of enemies? Check. Enemy battle every ten steps? Check. Large areas so they can be jammed to the eyeballs with enemies? Check check loving check. I can only do this section across multiple sittings because my attention wanders so drat badly. Stop trying to convey a sense of urgency and then have the pacing slow to a crawl because there's a bajillion fights to go through, dammit. I don't care about fighting yet another twenty steam cleaners. :argh:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
you gotta stagger them bro

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
If someone has made it to chapter 12 without learning to stagger then I tip my hat to their patience and keep my distance owing to their insanity.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

If I still have the FFXII International version on my PS2 somewhere in storage, is there enough added to Zodiac Age to justify rebuying it, or should I just stop being lazy and set it up?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Elentor posted:

Man I'll be honest, I have no idea how you manage to put these up in such a steady pace.

Depends on the game, that one took no effort and was a short game while my current one takes a lot of effort so I'm only getting an update a week out.

Anyway, Final Fantasy Final Fantasy Final Fantasy.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

DeadButDelicious posted:

Man XIII is doing everything it can to stop me from completing it. I'm on Chapter 12...

This game is hitting all the right buttons to make me stop playing. Enemies that are just damage sponges with huge healthpools or large packs of enemies? Check. Enemy battle every ten steps? Check. Large areas so they can be jammed to the eyeballs with enemies? Check check loving check. I can only do this section across multiple sittings because my attention wanders so drat badly. Stop trying to convey a sense of urgency and then have the pacing slow to a crawl because there's a bajillion fights to go through, dammit. I don't care about fighting yet another twenty steam cleaners. :argh:

If you don't want to go through fights, don't be afraid to use your deceptisols. If you happen to get into a fight anyways during this shroud, the game will refund you back your deceptisol anyways (you can use this to continually reuse the same deceptisol over and over if you just choose to exit fights).

The endgame of 13 does bump up the stats, partly because it kinda expects players to have explored more or pulse beforehand. If you sped through Chapter 11, then you're probably feeling it now. Make sure you're using good equipment (upgraded if you haven't already), or just playing more efficiently to make enemies die quicker since there aren't that many especially new and difficult encounters for you in that chapter till the end of it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

If I still have the FFXII International version on my PS2 somewhere in storage, is there enough added to Zodiac Age to justify rebuying it, or should I just stop being lazy and set it up?

There's a fast forward button in Zodiac Age.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

It's largely the same as the International version. Zodiac Age adds updated visuals/sound, QoL features, and the ability for one character to take two jobs.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I'm just past the first Aranea fight and I still can't wrap my head around the XV combat system. Am I meant to be hanging back and striking only a small number of times before dodging back out, or am I meant to be staying in their face 100% of the time? Enemy attacks just don't feel telegraphed at all (outside of the blindingly-obvious PARRY NOW prompt on some big attacks), attack instantly with little visible windup, and Noctis just eats poo poo from everything constantly.

I mean it doesn't matter because the game is easy to brute-force with healing and magic but I'm kind of disappointed. Tales games have been pulling off precise and responsive ARPG combat for decades.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Pierson posted:

I'm just past the first Aranea fight and I still can't wrap my head around the XV combat system. Am I meant to be hanging back and striking only a small number of times before dodging back out, or am I meant to be staying in their face 100% of the time? Enemy attacks just don't feel telegraphed at all (outside of the blindingly-obvious PARRY NOW prompt on some big attacks), attack instantly with little visible windup, and Noctis just eats poo poo from everything constantly.

I mean it doesn't matter because the game is easy to brute-force with healing and magic but I'm kind of disappointed. Tales games have been pulling off precise and responsive ARPG combat for decades.

The trick is that it's not really an ARPG. There aren't any timing requirements for dodging / blocking, just hold the button. :v:

Also yes hit and run for groups because they will stunlock you. Or just annihilate groups with magic. Also abuse the team up attacks because they give invuln.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

quote:

Enemy attacks just don't feel telegraphed at all (outside of the blindingly-obvious PARRY NOW prompt on some big attacks), attack instantly with little visible windup, and Noctis just eats poo poo from everything constantly.

There is an actual reason for that, and the reason, while it makes sense and sounds nice in theory, is dumb in practice.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Gologle posted:

There is an actual reason for that, and the reason, while it makes sense and sounds nice in theory, is dumb in practice.

finalfantasy.txt

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

The main reaso to get the zodiac age is for the amazing treatment of the soundtrack. That ost sounds so good ungh

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
1) have you tried dodge rolling in combat, instead of running around? even if you get hit, you generally won't get knocked back while tumbling unless it's a special grapple attack or something like that. it's great for repositioning because your move speed (when you aren't getting staggered by plinky attacks) is faster than most enemies' tracking turn radius.

2) always get behind enemies whenever possible. you want to proc cooperative attacks with those juicy i-frames as often as you possibly can.

3) whenever you aren't attacking, you should be holding down the dodge button.

4) i know you can hold down the attack button, but i think it's better to tap it, because it makes it easier to break out of a combo to dodge if you see a wind-up coming, or at least roll out of danger.

5) you should be warping in and out, and calling down special attacks while you're hanging in. techs make everyone invincible, and they also often give you a qte prompt to warp back into battle and do extra damage, all under the cover of i-frames. treat techs like summons in FF9: you're still regenning the entire time the animation is going on.

6) damage numbers really make it impossible to see enemies' wind-ups. they're all very much there, but you can't see the the more minor ones when a monster has three four-digit numbers coming out of its head.

7) there are a few monsters that don't have wind-ups--in particular, a lot of flying enemies. better just to overwhelm those with a bunch of warp strikes as fast as you can, and then switch to regular attacks when they're staggered.

8) use a wider camera angle so you can see what's going on behind you and spot the wind-ups.

9) try not to engage in da bush, make sure you lure everything into an area with good visibility.

combat is all about maximizing the amount of time you spend with i-frames up.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I will try all this stuff, thanks guys. There's so much I love about the game but sometimes there'll be a sequence which leaves me blinded with frustrated rage, usually involving...

ffffffffffffffffuck foliage

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

There's a fast forward button in Zodiac Age.

This is a life saver. I started replaying it this weekend and at some point I forgot a) how much of the first 15 hours of that game is traversing dingy brown dungeons and b) how large all the areas are compared to how fast you move.

If I didn't have that 2x/4x speed option I probably would have put it down in the big desert area just like I did 12 years ago.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wish it didn't have the speed up options so I stopped playing it at the big desert place same as the last three timers I tried it.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
when you're in fast-forward you can toggle between 2x and 4x by holding down L1 and tapping left/right on the d-pad

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

honestly, the rest of the game is also brown or grey dungeons that are way too big. sometimes it's a jungle that's too big instead! that's ff12's calling card!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

No there is also the giant enemy flagship their new emperor rides around in that is cramped and tiny

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Instant Grat posted:

when you're in fast-forward you can toggle between 2x and 4x by holding down L1 and tapping left/right on the d-pad

or up/down

I've hit a point in ZA where I basically need to set up perfect optimization to do hard stuff and I might have finally hit the wall. I might just go through and beat the game like this and then go back later (I'll never go back) to finish the plat at this point.

The worst part is just getting my levels up to grind through dungeons. I've gotten to high 50s/low 60s on everyone + my guest at 64 (not that it matters since you can't change their equipment). I guess technically I could do the flan trick but I'd have to do it twice to max everyone out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Barudak posted:

No there is also the giant enemy flagship their new emperor rides around in that is cramped and tiny

and yet also too big, paradoxically

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Apart from the beginning, middle, and end, it’s a pretty good game though

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
for those worried about the tone of the FF7 remake, they're apparently not going for emo tough guy Cloud

https://wccftech.com/final-fantasy-vii-remake-cloud-new-design/amp/

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Apart from the beginning, middle, and end, it’s a pretty good game though

Yeah, the post-game is really the best part of the game.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Thinking of playing through FFs 2-4 since I've never beaten any of them. I know 2 and 3s original versions weren't officially localized. Which version/remake of those would be best to play through?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Best version of 2 is the Mobile or PSP version. Three's remake is fine until you get to the final dungeon, then it becomes just awful. Some people say the NES version with a fan-translation is the best version of 3, but I can't confirm.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Can confirm original Three is fine until the final dungeon, though I haven't played the remakes.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Don't play the DS version of 3 unless you hate yourself

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I'd say the NES version of 3 with a fan translation. The DS remake (PC version is based on it) makes it actively worse

Mega64
May 23, 2008

2: PSP (or GBA). Newer versions remove a lot of tedium and dumber mechanics of the original without compromising anything.

3: NES if possible, since the remake has questionable design choices that make an already problematic game even more tedious. Failing that, go Steam for autosave.

4: PSP (or GBA) is the definitive 2D experience. The 3D remake is significantly more challenging and changes quite a bit, but if that version appeals more to you then honestly any version of that should be fine.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

or up/down

I've hit a point in ZA where I basically need to set up perfect optimization to do hard stuff and I might have finally hit the wall.

I never felt like I had gotten to that point while playing the original, and I did eeeeeeeverything in that game

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Die Sexmonster! posted:

I never felt like I had gotten to that point while playing the original, and I did eeeeeeeverything in that game

Any tips for stuff like hell wyrm and omega?

Keep in mind I don't have access to everything on everyone because its zodiac age not the original.

I tried the reverse/decoy trick on fenrir and turned off aoe heals (and heals in general for that character) but I still got bodied by something and my tank kept dying and it was really annoying.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oh my god I just realized he was probably dying from gendarme absorbing the breath attack :lol: