Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

When did they add the double space = period thing from iOS into MacOS? I don't think I've ever accidentally triggered it until now, had no idea it was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: High Sierra 10.13.6 and iTunes 12.8 (groan) just dropped in Software Update. :siren:

Apple posted:

About the macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Update

This update is recommended for all macOS High Sierra users.

The macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Update adds AirPlay 2 multiroom audio support for iTunes and improves the stability and security of your Mac.

This update is recommended for all users.

AirPlay 2 for iTunes:

Control your home audio system and AirPlay 2-enabled speakers throughout your house.

Play music at the same time on multiple AirPlay 2-enabled speakers in your house, all in sync.

Other improvements and fixes:

Fixes an issue that may prevent Photos from recognizing AVCHD media from some cameras.

Fixes an issue that may prevent Mail users from moving a message from Gmail to another account.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Combo update:
https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1970

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

brb shitposting from my X220 (god the screen on this thing is vile)

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Taking forever to install the update on my MacBook 2015.

eames
May 9, 2009

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/07/10/apple-1password-deployment-acquisition-talks/

:rip:

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Buddy of mine is trying to do a data migration. Short story, his old HDD died but not before Apple Genius 'backed it up' to an external. Now he has a new SSD installed with fresh 10.13.5 on it and his user account name is the same as the one he used before with the same account password. When we try to run migration assistant and point to the external, it says something about 'damaged OS files' which seems dumb when all anyone really wants are user files, not OS files.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

LEAVE 1PASSWORD ALONE YOU GOD drat BASTARDS

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Steakandchips posted:

Taking forever to install the update on my MacBook 2015.

Yea, those things are kind of slow. I think they must throttle the entire time during the upgrade.

I would start the upgrade on my 2015 12" before even booting my other Macs up and they'd still get done a half hour before.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Shaocaholica posted:

Buddy of mine is trying to do a data migration. Short story, his old HDD died but not before Apple Genius 'backed it up' to an external. Now he has a new SSD installed with fresh 10.13.5 on it and his user account name is the same as the one he used before with the same account password. When we try to run migration assistant and point to the external, it says something about 'damaged OS files' which seems dumb when all anyone really wants are user files, not OS files.

If he just wants stuff from his user directory, can’t he just mount it and copy it over using finder?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Proteus Jones posted:

If he just wants stuff from his user directory, can’t he just mount it and copy it over using finder?

User, Apps and whatever user config/system config stuff. I've never done a manual migration before. I'm sure its easy but I was hoping the automated thing would work.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Hm and I just spent $100 on 1Password licenses. If Apple acquires it and then kills/neglects the Windows & Android versions, it would be truly evil of them.

Hopefully it is just nonsense rumour.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Only time I've ever seen a situation like that is 1) under APFS or 2) under a horribly messed up HFS+ source drive with SMART errors up the wazoo.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/1Password/status/1016710603359096846?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

BGR reporting is absolutely garbage as always

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"My humans"????
What a oval office

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is keychain going to die? I don't use 1Password so I guess I don't care if Apple fucks it up because deep deep down I just want to see the world burn.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Is keychain going to die? I don't use 1Password so I guess I don't care if Apple fucks it up because deep deep down I just want to see the world burn.

??? Keychain is getting improved upon and expanded with each iOS and MacOS release.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I never understood what 1Password does that Keychain doesn’t?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

brb shitposting from my X220 (god the screen on this thing is vile)

The screens on pretty much all Lenovo's from that era are the absolute worst screen-doory garbage I've ever seen. And those trackpads. Woof.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

TACD posted:

Sometimes you have or want to use something that isn't the Apple Browser on an Apple device, the only two things Keychain works with.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TACD posted:

-Works on Windows
-Works on a browser that isn't Safari

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

If I have to use legacy OSes like windows, I usually just pull out my iphone and lookup the password there and retype it on Windows lol

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

1Password also lets to save notes, software licenses, and pretty much anything you can put into an encrypted database. Plus easy family/team sharing etc etc etc.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Hey any of you guys know what I'm doing wrong in Scrivener my Dropbox sync between macOS and iOS really sucks. I keep getting conflicted copies. Should I switch to using iCloud to sync?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dicty Brojangles posted:

1Password also lets to save notes, software licenses, and pretty much anything you can put into an encrypted database. Plus easy family/team sharing etc etc etc.

Yeah this. I use it to store all my stupid rear end work passwords which absolutely would not work with keychain.

I really wish I would have started using this years ago because it’s a game changer really.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So Apple itself is using software that is designed to deliberately work outside its ecosystem because secretly they want to work outside their ecosystem?

Like the McDonalds manager sneaking an order from the Burger King because they're just so tired of their own food?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
It also does 2fa and is all-around better than keychain. Hope Apple doesn’t buy it though - I like it as an independent company.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Call me old-fashioned but the idea of a password manager that handles 2fa just sounds like someone inventing a way to speed up TCP by pre-acking packets

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shaocaholica posted:

User, Apps and whatever user config/system config stuff. I've never done a manual migration before. I'm sure its easy but I was hoping the automated thing would work.

Best practices for a manual migration are:

Create an admin account on the machine (it's always handy to have a second admin account in case your main breaks and can't log in anymore)
Copy the home directory to be migrated to /Users
Create an account with the same username as that folder's name
Say yes when it asks if you want to use the folder that's already there
Copy over any apps that don't rely on an installer (Adobe, VMWare and SnagIt, I'm looking at you)
Done

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Data Graham posted:

Call me old-fashioned but the idea of a password manager that handles 2fa just sounds like someone inventing a way to speed up TCP by pre-acking packets

It depends on if you want 2FA because you actually want the security of two devices, or if you want 2FA so you have less to worry about when BigBankCo inevitably has a database breach and passwords get out.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dicty Brojangles posted:

Keychain has encrypted notes as well, but yea I hadn’t considered non-Apple compatibility and sharing.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I don't think you can get at encrypted notes and other items on your phone though.

I always have to make fake logins for websites and edit them to store my SSH passphrases.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oh yea dang that’s true :(

I guess I am just fortunate that my personal use case happens to line up exactly with the features Keychain does have.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

~Coxy posted:

I don't think you can get at encrypted notes and other items on your phone though.
The Notes app added the ability to password protect individual notes a couple years ago. You can unlock them with passwords, Touch ID, or Face ID.

I haven’t dug into their documentation to see what the encryption level (if any) is though. Maybe something worth looking into though.

Edit: from one of their security white papers:

quote:

The Notes app includes a Secure Notes feature that allows users to protect the contents of specific notes. Secure notes are encrypted using a user-provided passphrase that is required to view the notes on iOS, macOS, and the iCloud website.

When a user secures a note, a 16-byte key is derived from the user’s passphrase using PBKDF2 and SHA256. The note’s contents are encrypted using AES-GCM. New records are created in Core Data and CloudKit to store the encrypted note, tag, and initialization vector, and the original note records are deleted; the encrypted data isn’t written in place. Attachments are also encrypted in the same way.

When a user successfully enters the passphrase, whether to view or create a secure note, Notes opens a secure session. While open, the user isn’t required to enter the passphrase, or use Touch ID, to view or secure other notes. However, if some notes have a different passphrase, the secure session applies only to notes protected with the current passphrase. The secure session is closed when the user taps the Lock Now button in Notes, when Notes is switched to the background for more than 3 minutes, or when the device locks.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 11, 2018

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

The Note app added the ability to password protect individual notes a couple years ago. You can unlock them with passwords, Touch ID, or Face ID.

Hey, that's pretty good. Being able to get to it through the iCloud website is useful too.
Too bad about not having Touch/Face ID on the Mac, but it's less hard to type in complex passphrases on a keyboard.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

~Coxy posted:

Hey, that's pretty good. Being able to get to it through the iCloud website is useful too.
Too bad about not having Touch/Face ID on the Mac, but it's less hard to type in complex passphrases on a keyboard.

The touchbar has Touch ID :smug:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

In the nobody really gives a poo poo that Apple is getting to be pretty incompetent these days unless it's an iOS device dept:

Go to the App Store and look for High Sierra; the description is for a full installer of macOS 10.13.5 with a size of 4.80 GB; when you download it now, it is actually the full installer for macOS 10.13.6, with a size of 5.23 GB.

You'd think for the last revision of High Sierra they'd know by now not to gently caress up..

Mumble mumble dev team not talking to the App Store team, OS rot, impeach Hair Force One, etc.

If you run it on a Mac Pro, it will immediately ask to update the firmware (yes even if you just did a fresh install of 10.13.5); the installer also installs new microcode for the Intel CPU to protect against Spectre / Meltdown.

However, the microcode spec is from April, Intel modded it again earlier this month.

:sigh:

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 11, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
New MBPs

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/07/apples-new-2018-macbook-pros-are-now-available-and-the-top-specs-are-much-faster/

For gently caress loving sake I just bought my new one a month ago.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Also there's a lot of discussion in the hardware thread where it belongs :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

What’s the best way to access my files remotely? I’d like to be able to access the files on my iMac, external storage, etc. at home while working mobile. I’ve been using Back To My Mac and the built in screen sharing but they’re the absolute dirt worst. I’m was using a 200Mb connection remotely to connect to my home 200Mb connection and BTMM is so slow that it kept timing out and wouldn’t even reliably show a file listing in the Finder.

I’m hoping to avoid “just put everything in Dropbox” because I work with a lot of media files that I only sometimes need access to. Any suggestions? A different app, service, or something that integrates into Transmit as a file transfer intermediary?

I’ve tried Screens as a VNC client, but I’m hoping to find something that is quick and simple for file access.