Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Rotation and Core 2.0 should have come out a long time ago.

Core 2.0 reinvigorated Netrunner. It seems like they were too timid/scared to make people buy replacement cards for stuff they already had in their living card game model. People were clamoring for a fresh start and not "ugh I need to buy how many cards since I joined in 2016 instead of 2014?" Hell, most people burned out in Mumbad cycle due to this and also the crazy design choices, and only the death and subsequent rarity of packs made most (including me) go out and finish their collections.

Factions should have had a base trait/skill, and then additional ones per identity. Criminals get Gabe's money on successful HQ automatically, plus then Gabe gets something else. Or something.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Maybe a small bit of income.

Crim: The first time each turn you access a central server, gain 1C.
Shaper: The first program you install each turn costs 1C less.
Anarch: The first card you trash each turn costs 1C less.
Sunny: Base link +1 the first time each run?
Adam: The first time each turn you make a run, gain 1C?
Apex: At the start of your turn, you may install the top card of your stack face-down.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Figured I'd ask fellow goons about this:

I'm trying to finish my collection and I have every data pack besides one, The Underway from the SanSan Cycle.

If anyone has any online store leads or even a local place that has a copy of this data pack, I'd be very grateful and be willing to buy it from them along with a finder's fee + shipping (I'm in the US). It seems like stock has completely dried up for this pack in particular online, so it'd be annoying if it's forever the only gap in my collection. I have PMs if you want to message privately, thanks.

EDIT: I found a possible site (a French store called Philibert) thanks to kinkouin that was within a reasonable price range considering my options. Thanks again, kinkouin.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jul 3, 2018

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I disagree with giving factions a unique trait, they already have mechanically distinct card pools. I feel like attaching more rules to each faction is going to damage the design space (or generally improve the good parts of that faction and not help the weaker parts.) But I do like the idea of a card pool built from cards that exist. Structures like: "For this event, Core 2, Honor & Profit, and Lunar Cycle are active" are interesting to me. I don't care for 1.1.1.1 because it's a chore to build in, but I would like to try a singleton event.

From a high level standpoint, I completely agree that rotation was needed much sooner than Kitara. Unfortunately Mumbad and Flashpoint were also the points that introduced the most damaging cards and needed the most corrective action taken against them. I'm still mad at Genomics Prison, that deck as miserable.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

JazzFlight posted:

I'm trying to finish my collection and I have every data pack besides one, The Underway from the SanSan Cycle.

If anyone has any online store leads or even a local place that has a copy of this data pack, I'd be very grateful and be willing to buy it from them along with a finder's fee + shipping (I'm in the US). It seems like stock has completely dried up for this pack in particular online, so it'd be annoying if it's forever the only gap in my collection. I have PMs if you want to message privately, thanks.

The Underway was the hardest one for me to find. It may be because this pack had Faust which was probably one of the best cards pre-MWL so a lot of people bought the stock up at the time and they never reprinted it? I found the last in stock in some rando online store in MA.

Try looking up the FFGADN## number of the expansion and doing google searches on that.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

JazzFlight posted:

I had a quick browse across UK sites and on UK Ebay. There is a single one for sale on Ebay, but it looks to be the Italian version :(

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

mitochondritom posted:

There is a single one for sale on Ebay, but it looks to be the Italian version :(

How come-a you no play-a netrunner with-a you accent no more?!

:italy:

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Best idea for new cards: Don't.

Second best idea: Make rotation continue to happen, just within the cycles we have. Next year, let's have SanSan and Genesis back, but drop Flashpoint & Mumbad. Year after that, let's drop Spin and keep Mumbad dropped, and bring back Flashpoint etc.

Third best: Don't change cards, alter the base rules (much like the MWL did) so cards stay relevant. Add [Click] [Click] [Click] Shuffle two cards from Archives into R&D, or [Click] [Click] [Click] Gain 4 credits. Mess with the base systems so A. You can 'update' the game to keep it fresh with a simple system to roll it back and B. Don't modify the cards 'within' the system.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Shockeh posted:

Third best: Don't change cards, alter the base rules (much like the MWL did) so cards stay relevant. Add [Click] [Click] [Click] Shuffle two cards from Archives into R&D, or [Click] [Click] [Click] Gain 4 credits. Mess with the base systems so A. You can 'update' the game to keep it fresh with a simple system to roll it back and B. Don't modify the cards 'within' the system.

I'd be down with these changes. I could also see some crazy poo poo like having ice be part of a 15 card side board rather than part of your deck, and are always considered "in" HQ. Would free up a ton of deck slots for corps to try new stuff, and would provide some interesting options for how you want to distribute your limited number of ice.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Incidentally, I am hugely against sideboards because the game is already silver-bullety enough - There's zero possibility every sideboard would not include the variations of Caldera/FF/EStrike/Ark Lockdown that just make certain decks die.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I suppose that's true, but sideboards WOULD give more deck slots to work with, which I think the game needs. Especially for corp, there's just not much wiggle room.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Idea: You can use your 10-card sideboard before the game starts, but after you see your opponent's identity.

Whatever it is, it has to be small, otherwise, yes, you'd just have an arsenal of silver bullets. 10 feels right to me.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

gently caress sideboards.

Pay the influence and be happy in the knowledge you're not going to blow out if you bump into a deck that you've teched against. A sideboard takes the whole deck-building process and throws it in the bin.

The chance to include 'nuh uh your deck's now dead once I know that what it is' is garbage.

Slots is the forever problem in netrunner, which is hilarious compared to back in the day when I'd include Dirty Laundries and other econ cards to fill a deck out.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I am strongly against community designed cards and even more strongly against sideboards. If you want to free up deck slots, come up with a limit 1 or limit 2 format to force players to have more slots.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I'm also pretty deadset against community designed cards on principle, but the Worlds champ-designed cards are generally really good and interesting so it's not like it's a totally impossible concept to achieve.

e: VVVV very true, of course.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 3, 2018

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

food court bailiff posted:

I'm also pretty deadset against community designed cards on principle, but the Worlds champ-designed cards are generally really good and interesting so it's not like it's a totally impossible concept to achieve.

On the other hand, we dunno how much of the design / balancing was actually done by those Champs. They very well could have gone through several ideas that FFG veto'd, before settling on an idea that FFG maybe had to heavily tweak to make work.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

In defense of community cards, ONR had only two sets before it died, so there was a lot of unexplored territory.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Did we see many of the community designed cards from the CCG appear in the LCG? Serious request for information, I don't actually know.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Probably not, if only for legal reasons. It's why MtG designers actively avoid reading fan suggestions, because if they do read the suggestion it practically guarantees it can never get implemented. If there's proof a designer looked at a card concept, then made that card, then the fan that made the concept could potentially take legal action.

Of course, there's always the chance that by pure coincidence a designer made a similar card as a fan suggested, but that's not really the same thing.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
For Netrunner fans with deep pockets: Team Covenant's awesome custom tokens are back in stock.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Of course, there's always the chance that by pure coincidence a designer made a similar card as a fan suggested, but that's not really the same thing.

When you put it that way, I think this is the question I really was interested in. Were there many concepts from the fan cards that were good enough to crop up in the LCG?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
For anyone looking for old data packs, beaniegames in the UK has a bunch and a lot of the old ones are half price as well. Managed to grab what looks like was their last copy of the Underway pack since its now disappeared off the site.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
I think I've been reading too much about Netrunner because last night I dreamt that I was at a game store and they had the 2017 championship decks except the decks were actually big mech figures (???) and if you collected all 10 it unlocked something special.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Radioactive Toy posted:

I think I've been reading too much about Netrunner because last night I dreamt that I was at a game store and they had the 2017 championship decks except the decks were actually big mech figures (???) and if you collected all 10 it unlocked something special.

yes hello i would like to subscribe to your newsletter

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
MechRunner is truly the follow-up game we need.

blindidiotgod
Jan 9, 2005

Radioactive Toy posted:

In the lead up to a regionals once I woke up in the middle of the night, asweat with the idea of a Kit/Blackat deck. Why? Who knows!

Instead, I took Nasir. Couldn't do numbers for a few days after that.

Brofessor Slayton
Jan 1, 2012

AgentF posted:

Hopefully it's alright to post this here but some mates and I have started an RPG podcast and we set the first adventure in the Android universe. I'm the GM and my poor players have found themselves plunged into a gritty world of bioroids, corporate schemes, cybernetics and underworld contacts. As fans of Netrunner I figure you might be interested and give it a listen.

Our podcast aims to run RPG sessions that are story-driven and rules-light. Each game session will use a completely different setting (beginning with Android) and run for around 3-5 episodes. We already have our second game recorded, which is placed in the exciting Blades in the Dark setting.

Just got around to listening to this, and it's pretty fun. The players stumble backwards into exciting new problems caused by their own solutions, constantly, and it's great.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

The Deleter posted:

MechRunner is truly the follow-up game we need.

The Battletech CCG was sort of ugly and (I have been told, stories welcome) a complete balance disaster but I’d still buy it if it came back because I am a corporate whore

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

General Battuta posted:

The Battletech CCG was sort of ugly and (I have been told, stories welcome) a complete balance disaster but I’d still buy it if it came back because I am a corporate whore

It was really bad and the cards were awful to look at.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Tell me about its badness! I love hearing about old game metas.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Caught up on netrunner last night!

Any suggestions for a couple of cool decks to try from the last 3 cycles?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Play IG54 and lose all your friends

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

General Battuta posted:

Tell me about its badness! I love hearing about old game metas.

It's been over twenty years since I played, I may not have any of the old power combo decks saved.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

IIRC it was Magic but all creatures can attack lands or mill the opponent’s deck for cards = their power. Which at face value seems pretty prone to abuse.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Elizabeth Mills posted:

Play IG54 and lose all your friends

Is IG54 a thing again?

EDIT: I already have no friends after playing RP prison last year. I would not be averse to IG54 if it was actually competitive.

CirclMastr fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 14, 2018

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Looked up some stuff about the Battletech CCG. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it out on TTS.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

On vacation on the East Coast and found the last copy of Reign & Reverie in a random store today!

Now if I can just find loving Old Hollywood I'll have everything.

There're some packs back in stock on Amazon if you're looking, still!

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Quidthulhu posted:

On vacation on the East Coast and found the last copy of Reign & Reverie in a random store today!

Now if I can just find loving Old Hollywood I'll have everything.

There're some packs back in stock on Amazon if you're looking, still!

Old Hollywood is easy. The Underway was the hard one.

Protip: find the FFG "model name" for the item, something like FFGADN43 or such. Then do a google search for that, and see if any small time shops have it on their online stores via that name and not the other name that other Netrunners have already snapped up.

That's how I finally found the Underway.

Radioactive Toy
Sep 14, 2005

Nothing has ever happened here, nothing.
Here's a fun one. Fiance and I haven't played this game in a few years but wanted to start a Terminal Directive campaign. Prior to starting we decided to do a few practice games with the revised core starter deck. Here's how her first turn went as corp:

Click 1: Hedge Fund for 4 credits
Click 2a: Biotic Labor for 2 extra clicks
Click 2b: "... :shrug:"

I let her mulligan and start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Radioactive Toy posted:

Here's a fun one. Fiance and I haven't played this game in a few years but wanted to start a Terminal Directive campaign. Prior to starting we decided to do a few practice games with the revised core starter deck. Here's how her first turn went as corp:

Click 1: Hedge Fund for 4 credits
Click 2a: Biotic Labor for 2 extra clicks
Click 2b: "... :shrug:"

I let her mulligan and start over.

She probably should have saved that Biotic Labor for when she had an agenda to advance 4 times in one round?