Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Shugojin posted:

Mesa rectifier allowed to be maximum flubby

This but with a wah wah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wark Say posted:

So, I have a question for you, Goons: What would you consider is the ultimate "Butt Rock" Guitar tone?
Not guitar tone, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75fMKPsERsA

"Now, um, I got the pitch a little wrong and the tone a little wrong but that's basically what he does! :haw: "

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Jason Sextro posted:

The ADA MP-1 preamp, or anything made with that.

The stock MP-1 is about as 80's butt rock as it gets.

source: Owned one for over a decade.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Not guitar tone, but
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75fMKPsERsA

"Now, um, I got the pitch a little wrong and the tone a little wrong but that's basically what he does! :haw: "

thanks i hate it

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

So, I have a question for you, Goons: What would you consider is the ultimate "Butt Rock" Guitar tone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-0d_1U_GgE

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You're all terrible loving people, and I couldn't love you more if they paid me. :kimchi:

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Does anyone know an antidote for excessive tone chasing/GAS? I ask here because this seems like a place where the superstition and quackery surrounding *tone magic,* and the excesses of unskilled suburban dorks with ludicrously expensive gear are rightly mocked.

I'm able to get tones in the neighborhood of what I would consider ideal, enough so that any changes for the better would necessarily be pretty subtle. Intellectually I know this. I know that more time spent practicing and learning does far more for how good I sound than any piece of gear possibly could. But man, I have to fight it all the time. It's not that I'm constantly buying stuff or blowing tons of money, I'm really not. it's more that I carry around this really stupid anxiety about what if that perfect tone really is attainable and I've just got the wrong gear? What if my tone would be tighter with more defined attack if I had a maple fretboard instead of rosewood? What if my amp is too boomy and I need a different one? What if I really need a j-bass to help me cut through more or a stingray to give me more tight punch? What if my stock pickup is inferior and I need to replace it? If I don't try every compressor on earth, how will I know if I'm living my best bass life? And so on and so forth.

This is made worse because I'm very bad at sensing how something is going to sound at full rehearsal/performance volume in a band mix based on how it sounds on its own at a reasonable level. So even though I can go try out some of these things at a store, it's not all that informative when I do.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i'm a bass player and no one cares about how the bass sounds

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Thermos H Christ posted:

Does anyone know an antidote for excessive tone chasing/GAS? I ask here because this seems like a place where the superstition and quackery surrounding *tone magic,* and the excesses of unskilled suburban dorks with ludicrously expensive gear are rightly mocked.

I'm able to get tones in the neighborhood of what I would consider ideal, enough so that any changes for the better would necessarily be pretty subtle. Intellectually I know this. I know that more time spent practicing and learning does far more for how good I sound than any piece of gear possibly could. But man, I have to fight it all the time. It's not that I'm constantly buying stuff or blowing tons of money, I'm really not. it's more that I carry around this really stupid anxiety about what if that perfect tone really is attainable and I've just got the wrong gear? What if my tone would be tighter with more defined attack if I had a maple fretboard instead of rosewood? What if my amp is too boomy and I need a different one? What if I really need a j-bass to help me cut through more or a stingray to give me more tight punch? What if my stock pickup is inferior and I need to replace it? If I don't try every compressor on earth, how will I know if I'm living my best bass life? And so on and so forth.

This is made worse because I'm very bad at sensing how something is going to sound at full rehearsal/performance volume in a band mix based on how it sounds on its own at a reasonable level. So even though I can go try out some of these things at a store, it's not all that informative when I do.

You can’t escape it. Let it run through your mind and body until you die.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

If you can't quantify "boomy," "punchy" or "tighter," you're not going to be able to fix it with dollars.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Wark Say posted:

Fender Frontman 15G with the drive on and the gain control turned up to 10

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Thermos H Christ posted:

No one does. Its all super dependant on volume, genre and the gear the other band members are using. Stuff that sounds great at bedroom often sounds like complete poo poo live and vice versa.

Its worth considering that there is no such thing as 'good tone' in a vacuum. There are times when a 'poo poo tone' might be exactly what the song calls for, in my experience you know you've found the right tone when you play that particular part of the song and your gut goes "yes, that is exactly what that particular part needed".

I spent a while time playing in a noise rocky art punk band with a barking, midrangey plexi type tone because thats what "good tone" typically means to guitar nerds. When I switched to a buzzy metal pedal style tone the band sounded way more like that kind of music "should" sound though.

Gear and tone matters, but what you're trying to capture with it in the big picture of making music is 'feel' or 'attitude' or 'mood' and the tone is just an aspect of that. Thats something that needs to be discovered situationally and from the gut.

I say, buy whatever stupid piece of crap you wanna buy, write some music with it, sell it. Keep doing that as long as you're not too poor. as long as youre actually making music with it who gives a poo poo what your method is. just dont try to plan it out too much.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 10, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Thermos H Christ posted:

Does anyone know an antidote for excessive tone chasing/GAS?

being poor

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Find a band of blues lawyers and make yourself sit through the whole gig

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Does anyone know an antidote for excessive tone chasing/GAS?

I say this with 100% sincerity: get an Axe-Fx.

I bought an Axe-Fx Ultra in 2009, then sold it in 2012 to get an Axe-Fx II, which I then sold early this year to get an Axe-Fx III.

They're expensive as poo poo up front but getting an Axe-Fx was easily the best gear decision I’ve ever made. I can literally dial in every single tone I’ve ever had even the most passing interest in, and I’m 100% satisfied. I’ve have had virtually zero GAS for the last 10 years or so, other than wanting to upgrade my Axe-Fx when a new one comes out.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jul 10, 2018

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Learning about amp circuits and pedal circuits has mostly cured me of that because now I have a much better handle on what is true and what is marketing bullshit. On the other hand, you realize how great certain other things are and become fixated on them. :getin:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Learning about amp circuits and pedal circuits has mostly cured me of that because now I have a much better handle on what is true and what is marketing bullshit. On the other hand, you realize how great certain other things are and become fixated on them. :getin:

I wish I didn’t give up on the boost I was making. I just find it incredibly tedious and difficult to learn pedal making. There aren’t enough well written guides in existence

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CheesyDog posted:

Find a band of blues lawyers and make yourself sit through the whole gig
I recently stood in as a bass player with a band where the 2 guitar players have
  • 1 Top 10 PRS McCarty 594
  • 1 Private Stock PRS Custom 22
  • 1 Hiwatt Custom 100 (Guitar Lawyer 1)
  • 1 Suhr Modern Custom Shop with 2 humbuckers
  • 1 Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul Custom
  • 1 Matchless Avalon (Guitar Doctor 2)
And there I was, playing my old and busted Grayish-Green Yamaha 4-string with nothing but my badass Geddy Lee SansAmp and whatever Power Amp the venue had (I think it was a Carvin?). And despite the fact that the bass cost me 200 bucks back in '03 and I got the Geddy Lee SansAmp for like 20% off because it was B-stock, I sounded like a goddamn champ. Old Dirk himself would've probably high-five'd me if he had been in the audience. Meanwhile, those guys hosed up the Malcolm Young sound. Like, I'm not a diehard AC/DC fan, but they sounded like dogshit in comparison to the Malcolm/Angus duet, and we're not talking about a super difficult sound. We're talking about the loving Young Brothers' sound. What. The. gently caress. :mad:

That show also made me give up on buying any other PRS guitar unless it's either used or another of the Korean SE's. If you can sound like dogshit with a rig that's like flirting with the 50k budget, you need to analyze your life choices.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Isn't the AC/DC sound literally just "plug a Gibson into a Plexi and turn it all the way up"? How do you gently caress that up?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

Isn't the AC/DC sound literally just "plug a Gibson into a Plexi and turn it all the way up"? How do you gently caress that up?

Not to defend a bunch of blues lawyers, but if you plugged a Gibson into a Plexi and turned it up loud enough to get the AC/DC sound, you'd probably take the paint off the venue's walls and kill half the audience.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

GreatGreen posted:

Not to defend a bunch of blues lawyers, but if you plugged a Gibson into a Plexi and turned it up loud enough to get the AC/DC sound, you'd probably take the paint off the venue's walls and kill half the audience.

Fair enough, but Plexi sound at non-lethal volume seems like a pretty solved problem in TYOOL 2018.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
The antidote is shut up and play

GreatGreen posted:

I say this with 100% sincerity: get an Axe-Fx.

I bought an Axe-Fx Ultra in 2009, then sold it in 2012 to get an Axe-Fx II, which I then sold early this year to get an Axe-Fx III.

They're expensive as poo poo up front but getting an Axe-Fx was easily the best gear decision I’ve ever made. I can literally dial in every single tone I’ve ever had even the most passing interest in, and I’m 100% satisfied. I’ve have had virtually zero GAS for the last 10 years or so, other than wanting to upgrade my Axe-Fx when a new one comes out.

This might save him/her money in the long run but it's just going to increase the hours spent tweaking stuff tenfold

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Concatenation posted:

This might save him/her money in the long run but it's just going to increase the hours spent tweaking stuff tenfold

It easily can, yeah. But it doesn't have to. An Axe-Fx is meant to be approached sort of like an encyclopedia. You kind of need to know what you want before you start or else you can sit down for days before you look up again, never having come up with anything useful. The closer you are to knowing what you want to do though, the less time you'll need to spend tweaking.

Either way though, if I had to waste some time with guitar and not playing, I'd rather spend it turning knobs and learning what happens than just sort of vaguely wondering about what mysterious and elusive piece of gear I might get next that will totally change my sound for real this time.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jul 10, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m glad I find 99% of modeling amp stuff to be painfully boring because the option paralysis would literally ruin my life.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

If you can sound like dogshit with a rig that's like flirting with the 50k budget, you need to analyze your life choices.

that would basically kill the entire musical instrument industry at this point

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
also still worth chuckling mildly at how comparatively cheap it is to get into guitar vs just about any other instrument

a ten top prs runs like what 10-11 grand and that's rightly considered ludicrous and obscene for a production instrument whereas that's basically a down payment on a professional orchestra instrument

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Wark Say posted:

I’m not sure but it definitely involves a stock Boss ds-1. Probably into a dual rectifier.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

I wish I didn’t give up on the boost I was making. I just find it incredibly tedious and difficult to learn pedal making. There aren’t enough well written guides in existence

The Wampler guide to modding pedals is a great intro (if you can mod a pedal you can make a kit) and is available for free from the DIY facebook group.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Step 1 to modding pedals: learning how to solder. Step 2: learning how to unsolder because you hosed up. Step 3: learning how amazon returns work.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The Wampler guide to modding pedals is a great intro (if you can mod a pedal you can make a kit) and is available for free from the DIY facebook group.

I think he’s re releasing that too with updates. It does seem like a good start. I might track down the free one.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m glad I find 99% of modeling amp stuff to be painfully boring because the option paralysis would literally ruin my life.

Yeah, when I first got the thing, every minute of my free time was basically a pattern of playing two or three chords and a few extra notes after that, twist a couple knobs, repeat. This went on for weeks.

It eventually got better, but if any of you guys do decide to get one of the major modelers, just be prepared to set aside some serious time to get used to having basically infinite options.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

GreatGreen posted:

Either way though, if I had to waste some time with guitar and not playing, I'd rather spend it turning knobs and learning what happens than just sort of vaguely wondering about what mysterious and elusive piece of gear I might get next that will totally change my sound for real this time.

Oh, I tweak knobs plenty hunting for the perfect combination of eq and pedal settings. But that's the whole thing, I don't even want to totally change my sound, I just want to enhance and perfect the sound I'm already getting.

If it was cooking instead of music, it'd be like if I wanted to make fettucini alfredo and I've made some and I'm enjoying it. It's good, and I'm certainly not tempted to throw the whole thing out and try to make spaghetti with marinara instead. But I let myself get weirdly fixated on how maybe my fettucini would be even better if the sauce was just a little bit thicker and I used a parmesan that was just a little bit sharper and there was a just hint of basil, and some fresh cracked pepper... What I have is totally good, hitting the spot even, but what if it could be tweaked ever so slightly here and there to become exquisite, you know? And oh poo poo now I've put my money and my time into making this merely good fettucini, what if I could have been eating the fettucini of my dreams at this very moment but I failed to buy all of the exact right ingredients and now I'm missing out? So I read a bunch of people's opinions online about what really puts fettucini over the top and I end up wondering if maybe I really do need to just shell out for a little bottle of expensive truffle oil and that's going to make it all come together for me.

Oh, and also an axe-fx costs more than all my current gear put together. So that's kind of like buying an industrial stove and a bunch of expensive chef's knives when really I'm just trying to figure out how to tweak my fettucini recipe to get it just so.

Thermos H Christ fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 11, 2018

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

I honestly don't know, AniRef! When I rehearsed with them, we did it at my studio and while I don't have a plexi, I do have a JCM800 and a Soldano SLO-100 and yes, the AC/DC sound was basically turn everything the hell up and rock your balls off.

I think nowadays Angus and Stevie (covering for Malcolm) are a bit more "traditional", but otherwise, the AC/DC sound is literally this:

And when we rehearsed, it worked fine. Even through the earplugs or in the control room, everything sounded fairly rad. I honestly don't know how they hosed it up. I should've just rented them those two heads and be done with it.

GreatGreen posted:

Not even that. Around 300 or so people showed up. It was in the local Yamaha Music School / Store Auditorium and it was, honestly, kind of embarrassing. I mean, there were seats. On a show which had songs by AC/DC, Metallica, Motorhead and Judas Priest. I would've bounced sooner after the gig was done, but one of the guitar teachers there is a very good friend of mine and she's a lovely goddamn person, so the cringe lasted a while. Later, she PM'd and said "How do you sound like rear end with that setup?"

Concatenation posted:

The antidote is shut up and play
drat straight. :cheers:

I do most of my practicing on a Yamaha THR10x and that gives me plenty of idea juices flowing.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Those are some loud volumes.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

Start a noisecore band.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

ITS A GRETSCH YOU CLOWNS, MALCOLM PLAYED ALL THE GOOD RIFFS ANGUS JUST WENT WIDDLY WIDDLY FFS

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, when I first got the thing, every minute of my free time was basically a pattern of playing two or three chords and a few extra notes after that, twist a couple knobs, repeat. This went on for weeks.

It eventually got better, but if any of you guys do decide to get one of the major modelers, just be prepared to set aside some serious time to get used to having basically infinite options.

I was really close to buying one on a few occasions. Then I realized how much I love being limited by my gear and having a variety of different pedals and whatnot while still being boxed in.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thermos, I'm gonna give you one piece of advice that Jack Endino gave me (and that I've heard from at least two other producers/engineers): Whatever piece of gear you have? gently caress with it.

Now, by "gently caress with it", I don't mean damage it. You don't like how it currently sounds? Search for a sound you might like from what you have. Let those limits force you to get creative. I've seen it hundreds, if not thousands, of times. Hell, it has happened to me: Sometimes when pushed to a corner, a musician finds stuff that works, even with "subpar" gear.

Not the best example, but one time, the footswitch for my old Mark IV took a poo poo and died literally in the middle of a song. Thank goodness my oldest, bestest friend and guitar tech/traveling mad scientist took it out of the equation and set me up with a sound to finish the song in like less than 10 seconds. Afterwards, we took a short break before the next song and he set my sound up so that I had to control the gain/volume via my guitar's volume control, so no bullshit security net of switching to the "clean" channel. Afterwards, I started to try and wean myself off from the Volume/Expression pedal and footswitches for live situations.

To this day, I still try to never use more than 4 or 5 pedals, if possible. Hell, that's why with two out of my 3 regular bands, I normally just use my POD HD for guitar. With just two or three patches per band.

Chrpno posted:

ITS A GRETSCH YOU CLOWNS, MALCOLM PLAYED ALL THE GOOD RIFFS ANGUS JUST WENT WIDDLY WIDDLY FFS
A-freakin-men! :hfive:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Haha so TC released a Satchel from Steel Panther toneprint called the pussy melter and there was a big twitter meltdown until it was removed

I mean, I’m a huge loving leftist and HATE the misogyny throughout the music industry but come onnnn. It’s Steel Panther. It’s the most harmless thing in the universe and people are acting like it’s the most evil thing ever created. There are a million real tangible problematic things to tackle right now but I guess we’re gonna get angry at a joke band embracing their meme.

Also lol that it’s reported as a “pedal” and not a named downloading setting.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jul 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Thermos H Christ posted:

Oh, I tweak knobs plenty hunting for the perfect combination of eq and pedal settings. But that's the whole thing, I don't even want to totally change my sound, I just want to enhance and perfect the sound I'm already getting.

If it was cooking instead of music, it'd be like if I wanted to make fettucini alfredo and I've made some and I'm enjoying it. It's good, and I'm certainly not tempted to throw the whole thing out and try to make spaghetti with marinara instead. But I let myself get weirdly fixated on how maybe my fettucini would be even better if the sauce was just a little bit thicker and I used a parmesan that was just a little bit sharper and there was a just hint of basil, and some fresh cracked pepper... What I have is totally good, hitting the spot even, but what if it could be tweaked ever so slightly here and there to become exquisite, you know? And oh poo poo now I've put my money and my time into making this merely good fettucini, what if I could have been eating the fettucini of my dreams at this very moment but I failed to buy all of the exact right ingredients and now I'm missing out? So I read a bunch of people's opinions online about what really puts fettucini over the top and I end up wondering if maybe I really do need to just shell out for a little bottle of expensive truffle oil and that's going to make it all come together for me.

Oh, and also an axe-fx costs more than all my current gear put together. So that's kind of like buying an industrial stove and a bunch of expensive chef's knives when really I'm just trying to figure out how to tweak my fettucini recipe to get it just so.

I see what you mean. The neat thing about digital stuff though is that you really don't ever have to wonder about the unknown anymore even if it comes up. If you do find yourself wondering what that extra fancy truffle oil is like, you can try it real quick and decide for yourself. That's the thing. For people who can make the decision to be happy with what they've got, that's awesome. But for neurotic weirdos like me who always wonder if the grass is greener or for crazy chefs wondering whether the fettuccine is richer elsewhere, modeling basically tells you the answer instantly so you can either tweak the recipe or not. But either way you can stop obsessing and go on about your life afterwards.

As for enhancing what you've got to perfect it, I get that too. I've spent plenty of time trying to find the perfect tone for this or that purpose. And I don't mean hopping from one amp to another and then another after that forever, reinventing the wheel every 5 minutes. I mean I take a pretty good base sound I like and really deep dive into it. For example, here's a few screenshots from the Axe-Fx's PC editor. These are all of the editable parameters for the Amp emulation only:

That's an overwhelming amount of poo poo to mess with and I don't know what a good percentage of it even does. But if I'm ever curious, it's all sitting right there to try out. Contrary to a lot of people's beliefs, these things aren't so much purpose built to give you a kajillion sounds (I mean, they could do that if you really wanted them to, but you'll kill yourself trying to find them all) but they're built more for establishing a small handful of sounds and making them perfect.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jul 11, 2018